2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
K
Originally Posted by Johnyw
I definitely get the full 1-128 range with my D1 and Roland UM-ONE mk2 usb-midi, however it is difficult to play midi value 2-10 and 120-127 consistently.

Thanks Johnyw! That's helpful to know.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Any more direct comparisons of Korg D1 and Kawai ES-100, especially as regards (1) action and (2) acoustic piano sounds? Thanks...

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
W
W
I got the Korg D1 and love it in every aspect. It's a tad heavy but the action is totally worth it smile

I love keys! laugh
J
J
One thing I discovered about my D1 was a very subtle, but annoying, hiss static sound with headphones on (ATH-MH50x). Since switching to the Sennheiser HD6xx headphones the problem has gone away completely. I'm guessing it's to do with the impedance levels.

D
D
Originally Posted by kayriss
Originally Posted by Tjong
De velocity curve is off in this piano. It has 5 settings: setting two and three are the most hard settings. Even on those settings the minimum velocity I could get out of it was about 15 while in my Roland RP301 it is like 2 or 3 consistent in PP play.

The D1 was at the top of my list for driving my VST libraries. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue as Tjong, or if they've managed to get the full MIDI range 1 to 127 on the D1?

Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
Maybe RH3 configuration in D1 is faulty, or Tjong just had faulty unit. In Grandstage, which has RH3 as well, it sends full MIDI range. I was able to get everything from 1 to 127 when tested it in Pianoteq.

It was the same on my old M3-88, I could get the full range no problem. Unfortunately I would be blind purchasing the D1, however I auditioned the Kawai ES-110 recently, and I think I'll pull the tigger on that instead if there is an inherent issue with the D1's RH3 configuration.

I definitely get the full 1-128 range with my D1 and Roland UM-ONE mk2 usb-midi, however it is difficult to play midi value 2-10 and 120-127 consistently.
I wonder why people are getting different velocity results when using the D1 ? If the keys are the same then you would expect the same results, My d1 can hit 127 but only if i really hit the key super harder , i get about 90 on mine when playing the VST. Its great for gigging and the keys do feel good and for the price i am very happy with mine.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Dazzie2
My d1 can hit 127 but only if i really hit the key super harder.

That's exactly how it should work IMO. You should be able to hit 127, but only when you're really, really slamming on it as hard as you can physically play. That may not be the best response if you're using it as a MIDI controller and need programmable curves, but for a piano, it's giving you the full range.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
O
O
I know that are softwares to ready and refine/edit your velocity curve and then route it to your vst as a "fake input".
Anyone?

D
D
Originally Posted by Dazzie2
Originally Posted by kayriss
Originally Posted by Tjong
De velocity curve is off in this piano. It has 5 settings: setting two and three are the most hard settings. Even on those settings the minimum velocity I could get out of it was about 15 while in my Roland RP301 it is like 2 or 3 consistent in PP play.

The D1 was at the top of my list for driving my VST libraries. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue as Tjong, or if they've managed to get the full MIDI range 1 to 127 on the D1?

Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
Maybe RH3 configuration in D1 is faulty, or Tjong just had faulty unit. In Grandstage, which has RH3 as well, it sends full MIDI range. I was able to get everything from 1 to 127 when tested it in Pianoteq.

It was the same on my old M3-88, I could get the full range no problem. Unfortunately I would be blind purchasing the D1, however I auditioned the Kawai ES-110 recently, and I think I'll pull the tigger on that instead if there is an inherent issue with the D1's RH3 configuration.

I wonder why people are getting different velocity results when using the D1 ? If the keys are the same then you would expect the same results, My d1 can hit 127 but only if i really hit the key super harder , i get about 90 on mine when playing the VST. Its great for gigging and the keys do feel good and for the price i am very happy with mine.
Still would have liked it easy to reach the 127 without having to hit it like a hammer , i find it hard to get all the low end and the best i get is 20- 30 , but i find the reading is a bit different with every key on mine ,

C
C
I don't like the piano sounds from the korg D1 , I think there really bad when using the sustain pedal they sound very muddy to me , but the keys I think are good and the price .

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi guys, sorry I didn’t reply earlier I had to move and stuff, now got the Korg d1 set up.
Played around with the built in sounds. They aren’t bad. A bit difficult to control, but my hands are heavy so maybe that’s why. Nevertheless the action feels very solid. Way above the Yamaha Ghs on my old p105. Feels very similar to an expensive kawai grand piano we have here in the university that was recently bought .

Will test it out using the Harriman CFC, see how it responds to that and post up my opinion.

Will Also check to see if pianoteq Gives me the full range of the velocity levels with the Korg d1
Got my hands on a MacBook Air 2020 so that should be nice for pianoteq.

Also have a Roland fp10 so will try to compare them to see which one is better, soon as I set that up space is an issue atm.

Hope all is keeping inside for Covid-19 and being safe.
Cheers guys

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
H
hes Offline
H
Originally Posted by Mta88
Will Also check to see if pianoteq Gives me the full range of the velocity levels with the Korg d1
Got my hands on a MacBook Air 2020 so that should be nice for pianoteq.
Pianoteq has a built-in velocity curve editor, so you will definitely be able to adjust to get full range if you're using pteq, if the velocities the D1 is sending aren't how you want.

Originally Posted by Mta88
hey aren’t bad. A bit difficult to control, but my hands are heavy so maybe that’s why.
I have the C1 Air model which I believe is the console type of the D1.
Similar questions have been brought up about the G1 and C1 velocities. The keys ARE pretty difficult to control, especially with the default velocity setting. If you set it to the level 3, it becomes quite a bit easier to control but you still need to be careful with your touch or it could sound jarring.
That's my experience without using VSTs, and to be honest I like it that it kinda forces me to be subtle with my touch.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
ok great. Still waiting on some dongles to be able to hook this up to the computer. Covid killing the apple supply chain in Trinidad so Can't get dongles atm. And I don't trust the generic ones.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Great I thought It was just me.

Will give my feedback soon as I can get the VSTs up and running.

It's a rather nice built in piano sound though I must say. The major complaint would be the sustain of the piano dies down too quickly but This is common among Digital pianos .

The feel of the action though is quite lovely despite the built in sounds being hard to control.

Feels very much like a nice grand piano.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
N
N
Something I'd like to chime in with:

Recently, I replaced my Korg D1 with an MP11SE, and after playing for awhile using headphones, I think the Korg D1's default piano might actually sound better than the MP11SE's. I even hooked the MP11SE up as a MIDI controller to test it. It' subtle, but it's almost like there's a slight muffling sound to the MP11SE. It could be in my head...but hmm....

K
K
I tried Korg D1 at the music store and the action felt quite shallow. I then tried Korg SV-2, which is supposed to have identical action and it did not feel shallow at all.
How did Korg D1 feel to you?

Originally Posted by karoloydi
I tried Korg D1 at the music store and the action felt quite shallow. I then tried Korg SV-2, which is supposed to have identical action and it did not feel shallow at all.
How did Korg D1 feel to you?
I believe it's the stage version of the C1 which I have and to me the action on C1 feels great, comparable to the uprights that I practice at the class.

Last edited by meghdad; 10/09/20 11:55 AM.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
For the first time on the D1, I saw the black keys go deeper, like a real grand piano. Pressing the black keys on the tp100lr was frightening in terms of stability. Also black keys were more shallow. RH3 keybed feels extremely solid compared to the studiologic sl88 studio tp100lr keyboard. Of course, D1's piano sounds are not satisfactory for me after the large software libraries. It has keys that can be called long. Another positive thing about RH3 is that it has a metal frame and metal hammers, and repair parts are common and easy to find.

Last edited by ludolf2938; 11/29/20 08:55 AM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission