2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
83 members (ambrozy, Bentsch, Animisha, Beowulf, 36251, 8ude, Abdol, 22 invisible), 924 guests, and 581 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 3:2 Polyrhythm Repertoire
AZNpiano #2991972 06/16/20 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
First, there's not many instances of 2-against-3 polyrhythm in Bach, and even if they exist, the duple is usually played "swing" to match the triplets. An example of this is in the D minor Fugue from WTC-II. This is a separate topic.

Funny enough, I found one in Bach just yesterday! I have a student (my only student at the moment due to the virus mess, and also my current landlady) who is working through the Little Preludes. I was looking through BWV 941, Prelude in E minor, and there is an instance of 3:2 polyrhythm in the penultimate bar. Here is a link to a public domain edition of BWV 941.

AZN, would you swing the eight notes here? I had intended to use this to introduce my student to polyrhythm. (She's Grade 4 ABRSM, and has heard me playing a lot of polyrhythms in some of my diploma repertoire.)

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
IntermedPianist #2992078 06/16/20 01:57 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yikes, Dr. Rogers, what are you doing with those 19th-century editions?? You use that to teach?

Anyway, for that piece, your 19th-century editor already provided you with a possible solution. The first two triplets are played like 16th notes, and the last triplet is like an 8th note, and therefore aligned vertically with the other 8th notes.

What I would do is to start a ritardando on the first two triplets all the way to the end. It might be too "Romantic" for some Baroque purists, but I think the tempo and mood of this piece would make a ritardando sound good.

The Palmer edition suggests that the 2-against-3 rhythm could be played as is, even though it's very rare. So I guess you could use this piece to teach polyrhythm.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
AZNpiano #2992343 06/17/20 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Yikes, Dr. Rogers, what are you doing with those 19th-century editions?? You use that to teach?

I'm gleaning interpretive ideas from them. I'm not a Baroque purist, and while I do think we should keep Baroque practice and instrumental limitations in mind, I do not consider myself bound by them. (What I won't do is use the damper pedal. I wouldn't rule it out for very, very rare use, but generally I keep my foot away from it.)

I'm not a big fan of most of those old editions, with the exception of Busoni. I like most of Busoni's interpretations, but again, I do not feel myself bound by them. Another 19th-century editor to whom I sometimes refer is Preston Ware Orem, though I generally prefer Busoni.

I usually teach from Henle or from my own settings, but I extract ideas from those 19th-century editions and pencil them in on the Urtext.

What I would do is to start a ritardando on the first two triplets all the way to the end. It might be too "Romantic" for some Baroque purists, but I think the tempo and mood of this piece would make a ritardando sound good.

I think I agree with you on this. That's probably how I'll approach it with her.

The Palmer edition suggests that the 2-against-3 rhythm could be played as is, even though it's very rare. So I guess you could use this piece to teach polyrhythm.

One of these days I should get the Palmer edition of the Preludes. I have a soft spot for Professor Palmer. And I actually knew his son for some years before I realized that his father was the Professor Palmer!

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
Dr. Rogers #2992447 06/17/20 04:16 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
I'm gleaning interpretive ideas from them. I'm not a Baroque purist, and while I do think we should keep Baroque practice and instrumental limitations in mind, I do not consider myself bound by them. (What I won't do is use the damper pedal. I wouldn't rule it out for very, very rare use, but generally I keep my foot away from it.)

I'm not a big fan of most of those old editions, with the exception of Busoni. I like most of Busoni's interpretations, but again, I do not feel myself bound by them. Another 19th-century editor to whom I sometimes refer is Preston Ware Orem, though I generally prefer Busoni.

I usually teach from Henle or from my own settings, but I extract ideas from those 19th-century editions and pencil them in on the Urtext.

Well, the one you linked isn't horrible. I have seen 19th-century editions that absolutely BUTCHERED the music--removing sections, taking out (or writing in the wrong) ornaments, changing notes, and--god forbid--adding measures and extra notes!! And this is in addition to the commonplace addition of pedal marks, long slurs, and dynamics.

I must say Busoni was one of the worst offenders. Czerny was horrid, and even some of the stuff Longo did was inexplicable.

But I like your idea of teaching from an urtext edition. My students' parents are too cheap to buy the expensive editions, but now they have a lot of free editions on imslp.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New - Hammond SK-Pro organ & synth (SK1 upgrade)
by Doug M. - 01/15/21 01:09 PM
New Korg announcements in a few days...
by clothearednincompo - 01/15/21 12:17 PM
Estonia 190
by Walkman - 01/15/21 12:02 PM
My 'Gentle' and 'quieter' tuning technique
by Beemer - 01/15/21 10:46 AM
The Yamaha CFX ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/15/21 10:39 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,263
Posts3,046,923
Members100,063
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission