2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (AndrewJCW, Beowulf, Almar, Derek Mc, 1957, David Boyce, Boboulus, crazyRyoga, 10 invisible), 540 guests, and 527 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Physical meet-up lessons post-covid lockdown
RandomGuy #2976387 05/07/20 07:47 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My teacher reported that he has heard his online students cursing more than they do at in person lessons.

Anyone else have observations like this?
I figure I am about equal opportunity for swearing whether in person or online.

Learner
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
RandomGuy #2976411 05/07/20 09:48 PM
If a young student were to curse, I would respond, "I'm not old enough to hear such language!"
It works by confusing them and breaking tension.

Learning as I teach.
Dr. Rogers #2976426 05/07/20 11:10 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
I might just throw in the towel altogether.

Just before the so-called pandemic hit, I moved out of my home due to a divorce. I bugged out in fear of my safety, and of course I was not able to take my concert grand with me in my car. I don't even know if it still exists - my (now ex-)wife had been threatening to set it on fire for months.

Thankfully I was able to rent studio space, but it was clear across town (and actually in a suburb), so I lost about half my students due to the increased distance. Then about two weeks later, the stay-at-home orders hit.

A few stalwart students wanted to continue lessons even after the lockdown orders, but I told them to stay home and stay safe. (I'm actually very skeptical about this "virus" myself, but I won't take chances with my students.)

None of them has asked for online lessons - I just don't do them. I've taught online in the past, but hated the whole experience. It's not for me. Count me as a technophobe.

If any of my students want to continue after the lockdown orders are lifted, I will gladly take them back. I need the money badly. But due to the uncertainty of the divorce, I don't know if I'll be able to teach long term.
I just saw this. I'm really sorry to hear this. I know sometimes divorce hits rather suddenly. Good luck and good health to you.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
malkin #2976797 05/08/20 11:05 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
My teacher reported that he has heard his online students cursing more than they do at in person lessons.

Nope. I have one student that curses, but that started to happen long before COVID-19.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
malkin #2976977 05/09/20 10:49 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by malkin

I've never had any curse. I did have one student years ago who, one time when she was angry about some difficulty she was having in the music, delivered a swift kick to the front of my upright piano.

There may have been one or two frustrated, stinging slaps to the keyboard over the years from another student or two, as well, but no language that I ever recall, and none recently. My current bunch is a pretty calm, even-tempered group.

RandomGuy #2991979 06/16/20 09:37 AM
Two months ago I made a post full of uncertainty and anxiety to this thread. Now I'm resurrecting this thread to provide an update.

Things are going much better for me now. My divorce is still ongoing, but as of now everyone is cooperating and we are moving forward.

And I have my Baldwin concert grand back! My soon-to-be-ex-wife agreed to let me have it. This past Sunday, it was moved into the house where I'm renting rooms. It is a rather large piano for this house, but it just barely fits and actually sounds pretty good (as long as I keep the lid closed). Thankfully my landlady is also a pianist, so she doesn't mind devoting so much of her house to a large piano!

We moved my landlady's smaller grand (5'6" I think) into one of the rooms I'm renting, and I'm setting it up as a teaching studio for when the virus scare has passed.

As I write this, my landlady is practicing a Bach prelude. I love hearing Bach played live, especially when I don't have to be the one playing it!

Last edited by Dr. Rogers; 06/16/20 09:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
RandomGuy #2991987 06/16/20 09:58 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
That is nice to hear Dr. Rogers.

Learner
RandomGuy #2992043 06/16/20 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by RandomGuy
Interesting to hear/read the other side of the coin regarding this.
...Also interesting is that I have not heard back from most of the emails that I had initially sent out to teachers requesting lessons. ...

Keep up faith. I always have to send a number of emails and make phone calls before I find a teacher. Sometimes I wondered if it was like in the old martial arts movies, where the sensei would not accept any student who only asked once.

For the back issues you still may be able to do online lessons. I had upper back issues and since my piano at home was set up differently than at the school I ended up showing her pictures of me sitting at the bench. She wanted a different angle or something and I emailed a few more photos. If I still had trouble she was going to have me show her a video of me playing at home. I made an account on YouTube and was going to post stuff there, but she was able to adjust my posture with just the photos. Think I ended up raising up the piano stand, and relaxing my shoulders as much as possible. I was sitting at it like a desk and you should be a little higher.

That said, someone recently reached out to me. I think some teachers have lost students that don’t want to do online and are looking for zoom-friendly clients. Maybe reach out to a few again and see if they are willing to at least start with zoom and videos until it’s safe?

good luck

Last edited by Oddsox; 06/16/20 12:47 PM.

The piano ain’t got no wrong notes.
~ Thelonious Monk
RandomGuy #2992144 06/16/20 04:51 PM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
So good to hear that you are moving forward, Austin! And that the 9-foot Baldwin did not go up in flames! Please greet your landlady from us. We like her already.

Oddsox #2992350 06/17/20 09:49 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Dr. Rogers
Two months ago I made a post full of uncertainty and anxiety to this thread. Now I'm resurrecting this thread to provide an update.

Things are going much better for me now. My divorce is still ongoing, but as of now everyone is cooperating and we are moving forward.

And I have my Baldwin concert grand back! My soon-to-be-ex-wife agreed to let me have it. This past Sunday, it was moved into the house where I'm renting rooms. It is a rather large piano for this house, but it just barely fits and actually sounds pretty good (as long as I keep the lid closed). Thankfully my landlady is also a pianist, so she doesn't mind devoting so much of her house to a large piano!

We moved my landlady's smaller grand (5'6" I think) into one of the rooms I'm renting, and I'm setting it up as a teaching studio for when the virus scare has passed.

As I write this, my landlady is practicing a Bach prelude. I love hearing Bach played live, especially when I don't have to be the one playing it!

Great to hear Dr. Rogers. Continued positive thoughts flowing your way.

Originally Posted by Oddsox
Originally Posted by RandomGuy
Interesting to hear/read the other side of the coin regarding this.
...Also interesting is that I have not heard back from most of the emails that I had initially sent out to teachers requesting lessons. ...

Keep up faith. I always have to send a number of emails and make phone calls before I find a teacher. Sometimes I wondered if it was like in the old martial arts movies, where the sensei would not accept any student who only asked once.

For the back issues you still may be able to do online lessons. I had upper back issues and since my piano at home was set up differently than at the school I ended up showing her pictures of me sitting at the bench. She wanted a different angle or something and I emailed a few more photos. If I still had trouble she was going to have me show her a video of me playing at home. I made an account on YouTube and was going to post stuff there, but she was able to adjust my posture with just the photos. Think I ended up raising up the piano stand, and relaxing my shoulders as much as possible. I was sitting at it like a desk and you should be a little higher.

That said, someone recently reached out to me. I think some teachers have lost students that don’t want to do online and are looking for zoom-friendly clients. Maybe reach out to a few again and see if they are willing to at least start with zoom and videos until it’s safe?

good luck

Thanks for that tidbit Oddsox. I've been watching a bunch of YouTube video's on posture/technique and using Alfred's method books in the meantime. It seems I've been able to modify my playing a bit better that doesn't introduce any wrist pains but I'm still very interested in taking lessons for the long haul. Haven't really thought of online lessons due to the absense of person-to-person physical correction, but perhaps I'll look into it as you've brought up some good positive insight. Just need to find someone who'll take me in haha.🙈

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
iPad pro (2020) MIDI Output not consistent
by Almar - 01/18/21 05:33 AM
used Kawai RX-1 or new Kawai GL-30?
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/18/21 05:23 AM
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Garritan CFX, Sustain Release Samples ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 11:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,350
Posts3,048,280
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission