2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
D
@MacMacMac thanks for reaching out, it's a good setup - hopefully he's still about !

@VladK thank you - this is really helpful.

Ironically I did exactly the same - and found the same details. Except... the table top dimensions you found, IKEA in Australia didn't clearly spec the numbers. Thankyou!

I suspect you're correct, it doesn't look like the legs are outside the underframe dimension envelope too much. Looking at Chopin's pictures it looks pretty close...

Very Good question - monitor headphones

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I own a used vpc-1 for a couple of weeks now, and I love it.

The great action combined with the adjustable velocity curves has completely enhanced my digital piano experience, coming from a cp33.

I expected a nicer feel, which i most definitely got, so much more piano-like, but I underestimated the extra control this thing offers, just great. And it looks nice as well.

D
D
@u3piano congratulations ! May I ask, what is your setup ?

Last edited by dcaspira; 06/13/20 06:16 AM.
dcaspira #2990877 06/13/20 06:50 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by dcaspira
@u3piano congratulations ! May I ask, what is your setup ?

Thanks, Sure! By setup do you mean what is your hardware + software?

I have a vpc-1, a focusrite scarlett 2i4, and mainly use embertone walker, listening through Superlux hd-662 evo headphones. I also have jbl lsr 305 monitors, but I don't like them for piano and intend to sell them, I use headphones pretty much all of the time anyway.

As for a pc i have a I5 u4570 with 16gb ram, a couple of ssd's and windows 10.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi everyone!
I have a question on extra controls. So on the StudioLogic SL-88Grand, I have 3 joysticks that are customizable, I can set them to pitch bend, mmodulation, expression, or whatever, basically I can name any midi messages that these 3 joysticks send, which gives me great customization if I want to control different midi message variants. Does the VPC1 have on board controls? If not, is there hardware that one can add that can enable such controls?
Thanks!
David

U3piano #2991177 06/13/20 07:05 PM
D
D
@U3piano excellent, that was what I was wondering.

I'm also headphones - and tossing between the Scarlett 2i4 and the Motu m2 AI. Have you had any issues with yours ?

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by David Lai
Hi everyone!
I have a question on extra controls. So on the StudioLogic SL-88Grand, I have 3 joysticks that are customizable, I can set them to pitch bend, mmodulation, expression, or whatever, basically I can name any midi messages that these 3 joysticks send, which gives me great customization if I want to control different midi message variants. Does the VPC1 have on board controls? If not, is there hardware that one can add that can enable such controls?
Thanks!
David

The VPC1 has no such onboard controls.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
newbert #2991185 06/13/20 07:37 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by newbert
Hi everyone!
Thanks!
David

The VPC1 has no such onboard controls.

Oh, that's not good... frown It would be hard to add extra hardware if I got this keyboard. But I've heard the action is better than that on the SL-88Grand... I'm hoping for convenience as well as reliable action. That's also quite helpful being totally blind.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
David, you would have to add a second controller. There are quite a few with mod wheels. What/how many extra controllers do you need? There are mini controllers with a few synth keys (two octaves), mod wheels, knobs, pads. I saw some by Nektar, M-Audio and Akai, probably others. Would those be too much?

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
EVC2017 #2991218 06/13/20 11:35 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EVC2017
David, you would have to add a second controller. There are quite a few with mod wheels. What/how many extra controllers do you need? There are mini controllers with a few synth keys (two octaves), mod wheels, knobs, pads. I saw some by Nektar, M-Audio and Akai, probably others. Would those be too much?

Well I was just wondering, on my Studiologic I have three joysticks, an expression pedal and a 3-pedal unit. The two petals are plugged into two separate jacks, so the three pedals only take one jack, not three. I’m curious, how much would it take for me to reach this kind of control if I were to get the VPC1? what would it look like to copy my similar set up to a different instrument? Thanks!

dcaspira #2991259 06/14/20 03:33 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by dcaspira
and tossing between the Scarlett 2i4 and the Motu m2 AI. Have you had any issues with yours ?

My 2i4 is a first generation one. It works well, and has done so for many years, but every now and then i get the windows blue screen, which I suspect has something to do with it's driver, but i'm not sure. Could be a problem in my windows or other components in my pc, who knows.

I think you'll be fine with either of those. If you buy a new 2i4 now i think it's a third generation, so apparently they improved some things. I believe there are separate drivers for the different generations as well.

K
K
I have an SL88 Grand and recently discovered that the midi velocities are a bit inconsistent between keys. Maybe it's fixable by software. I'm wondering if that's the same for the VPC1

A
A

Well I was just wondering, on my Studiologic I have three joysticks, an expression pedal and a 3-pedal unit. The two petals are plugged into two separate jacks, so the three pedals only take one jack, not three. I’m curious, how much would it take for me to reach this kind of control if I were to get the VPC1? what would it look like to copy my similar set up to a different instrument? Thanks!

The VPC1 is a piano controller. Do acoustic pianos have mod or pitch wheels? If you want a masterkeyboard, just buy a masterkeyboard smile
OR: buy a VPC1 and a small midi controller that fits your needs. as EVC2017 wrotes, there are many small controllers out there that you can easily put on top of the VPC1.

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

David, it is a tough one. I just looked at specs just out of sheer curiosity. From specs, VPC1 only supports the three pedals unit. It has a very limited features set. It is a specialized tool that does one task and does it well (based on the opinions of most of this owners in this forum), replacing a piano keyboard. No expression pedal, very few control features. You would probably have to add a second full featured controller (with wheels, faders, knobs, buttons etc.) to have a functionality equivalent to your SL. For example, I took a look at some of the small keyboard controllers I mentioned above and they do not have an expression pedal. Bigger unites, e.g. Arturia Keylab mkii 49 does, but it has tons of controls (no joystics but wheels, faders, knobs, pads/buttons etc.). So, you end up with a more complex configuration than you may want. Or perhaps not.

May I suggest you open a different thread for this discussion? You may get more qualified answers.

Last edited by EVC2017; 06/14/20 08:32 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
EVC2017 #2991331 06/14/20 09:42 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

David, it is a tough one. I just looked at specs just out of sheer curiosity. From specs, VPC1 only supports the three pedals unit. It has a very limited features set. It is a specialized tool that does one task and does it well (based on the opinions of most of this owners in this forum), replacing a piano keyboard. No expression pedal, very few control features. You would probably have to add a second full featured controller (with wheels, faders, knobs, buttons etc.) to have a functionality equivalent to your SL. For example, I took a look at some of the small keyboard controllers I mentioned above and they do not have an expression pedal. Bigger unites, e.g. Arturia Keylab mkii 49 does, but it has tons of controls (no joystics but wheels, faders, knobs, pads/buttons etc.). So, you end up with a more complex configuration than you may want. Or perhaps not.

May I suggest you open a different thread for this discussion? You may get more qualified answers.

Hi! Thanks for all the replies. I see what this might mean for me.
Though I am a pianist and would love a better action, I also hope to get some nice onboard controls so I can tinker with the midi data live as I play other instruments, and to control certain midi stuff (like the muted strikes on Ravenscroft) with a controller on the keyboard. Looks like the VPC 1 may not fit my expectations of combining a good action plus convenient controls. Probably SL is still a nice compromise. I've heard a lot of talk about the VPC1 on this forum, so I was wondering what it might look like to use the instrument, along with its flexibility of controls.
Thanks again for your replies! smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Keybender
I have an SL88 Grand and recently discovered that the midi velocities are a bit inconsistent between keys. Maybe it's fixable by software. I'm wondering if that's the same for the VPC1

I do find that on my SL-88Grand, the G5 key is a bit odd sometimes. That creates problems in the beginning of Chopin's fourth ballade, for example.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Maybe wait to try the MP12.

H
hes Offline
H
Hi! Thanks for all the replies. I see what this might mean for me.
Though I am a pianist and would love a better action, I also hope to get some nice onboard controls so I can tinker with the midi data live as I play other instruments, and to control certain midi stuff (like the muted strikes on Ravenscroft) with a controller on the keyboard. Looks like the VPC 1 may not fit my expectations of combining a good action plus convenient controls.
I don't have a VPC 1, but if I were in your situation I would make sure to check out the option of just having a small midi controller surface board sitting on the large top surface of the VPC 1. There are many inexpensive ones that have a lot of functionality. E.g., maybe not the best one for you, but Korg Nanocontrol Studio: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/nanoKONTStu--korg-nanokontrol-studio

Also, there're some excellent apps out there that make an iPhone, iPad, or Android phone into a very flexible midi control surface. They lack the tactile feel of a hardware control (they mimic pads, knobs, sliders on the touch screen display), but some can be tailored exactly for your uses, as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. Here's an example of one of those for ipad/iphone, one of the more expensive ones at $30 (but there are others that are just $5 or $10): https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-designer-pro-2/id492291712

Last edited by hes; 06/14/20 01:44 PM.
H
H
Lots of VPC1 love here, but has anyone encountered the faulty key weighing as describe in this thread?

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=6886

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Hokage Kakashi
Lots of VPC1 love here, but has anyone encountered the faulty key weighing as describe in this thread?

https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=6886

Look, if there is no some damage you can see when unboxing product or there is something really wrong with the product, believe me, VPC is working incredibly good at default. No reason to chasing ants under the keys. Anyway who ever is in doubt there is Ravenscroft VPC or Lachnit for people who want hand made, faulty free, money killers products.

Last edited by slobajudge; 06/14/20 02:12 PM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission