2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#2990787 06/12/20 10:34 PM
L
OP Offline
L
What's the weirdest, rarest, or most unusual piano you've ever seen? Post your pictures if you have any, and tell your stories if you have no pictures! Probably the coolest one I've ever seen in person was a "giraffe piano" from the 1800's... think of a 7 foot grand piano with the form factor of an upright. At least thst's how I remember it, I was about 7 at the time... Some of the early pianos sure were strange!

D
D
I've encountered twice very short spinet/console pianos. The shortest one was about waist height I think and didn't have very many keys. The store had it in between two office doors so I thought it was some kind of weird table until I looked at it. Made by Kawai I think. The tallest, made by Kimball, was 42" tall. Also saw a craigslist post for a very short grand piano once.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In 2010 I built a piano for myself from scratch. I designed it using CAD software. It was an unusual design so i had nothing to compare to. It is an upright piano that is 7 ft tall and has a custom designed action that features a double escapement. The string scale is the same as a 10 ft grand. It was a 2 year project that I finished in 2010. Here are some pics:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
In 2010 I built a piano for myself from scratch. I designed it using CAD software. It was an unusual design so i had nothing to compare to. It is an upright piano that is 7 ft tall and has a custom designed action that features a double escapement. The string scale is the same as a 10 ft grand. It was a 2 year project that I finished in 2010.

[Linked Image]

Cool project! How did you fabricate the plate?

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Cad Software sends a DXF file directly to laser cutter. Once all the parts are made, its then welded up.

-chris

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Wow, a piano that’s it’s own feature wall. Pretty cool! I’m impressed!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Chris,

You might not know this but your Mammoth has been discussed here several times. I haven't yet seen it in person, I only know it through your photos and your desciption. If you still have it maybe it should take a tour - at least for a showing in Philadelphia. smile

What do you think?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
For my oddball piano... geez, I have seen so many.

ok, I chose this piece that I saw at the musical instrument museum in Vienna. It is not a modern piano, but something way cooler. This folds up with a handle so it could be carried around. It is a gaming board for chess or backgammon, but it is also a clavichord AND a tiny little pump organ, which are both predecessors of the modern piano, so it works, I think.

[Linked Image]

I am looking forward to seeing (or hearing) what others can contribute.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sounds interesting Rich, and it would look good in your store. However, it would cost more than 2 cents to pull it off (sorry,couldn't help myself). It weighs 1600 lbs and takes 4 people to move it, so a tour didn't cross my mind.

-chris

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
Cad Software sends a DXF file directly to laser cutter. Once all the parts are made, its then welded up.

Interesting! Thoughts on steel vs. iron?

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Various experimental alternatives for the keyboard have been tried:

Curved:

[Linked Image]

Janko:

Left handed:

Thing is, unless you've learned to play on one of these right from the start (and then limit your playing to that configuration), it would be very difficult to adapt your years of learning and intuition to anything but the standard you're already used to, so these will remain rare.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
B
BDB Offline
B
Malmsjö Banana piano. I have never seen one, but the images are fascinating.

I have tuned a Lindner Grand piano. There are several interesting things about this piano. The sides are all straight, and all of the wooden parts, including the soundboard, just screw or bolt onto the aluminum frame, which has nothing but straight lines. This must have made it inexpensive to build. By undoing a few bolts, the body of the piano tilts on the tripod stand, and one leg folds inward, so you can roll it through a single door, which is very handy. The only drawback is that moisture cycling made the soundboard come loose, but I was able to tighten the screws very easily.

Piedmont Piano in Oakland has a number of interesting pianos. The Rippen is the more conventional cousin to the Lindner. I have seen it in their window. I have also seen the Paul Henningsen Blüthner, which was a piano design originally made in Denmark, and which Blüthner offers now.

The local Craigslist had a 6-6 keyboard upright once, 6 naturals and 6 sharps per octave alternating. I did not see it. There is a disadvantage in that you cannot orient your hands by feel.

Semipro Tech
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Here is the Sauter Microtonal piano.Aparently still available --

https://youtu.be/AdAY-RhRhls

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
All those keys add up to one octave.Each tone being 1/16 of a whole tone.

BDB #2991808 06/15/20 08:27 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by BDB
Malmsjö Banana piano. I have never seen one, but the images are fascinating.

I have tuned a Lindner Grand piano. There are several interesting things about this piano. The sides are all straight, and all of the wooden parts, including the soundboard, just screw or bolt onto the aluminum frame, which has nothing but straight lines. This must have made it inexpensive to build. By undoing a few bolts, the body of the piano tilts on the tripod stand, and one leg folds inward, so you can roll it through a single door, which is very handy. The only drawback is that moisture cycling made the soundboard come loose, but I was able to tighten the screws very easily.

Piedmont Piano in Oakland has a number of interesting pianos. The Rippen is the more conventional cousin to the Lindner. I have seen it in their window. I have also seen the Paul Henningsen Blüthner, which was a piano design originally made in Denmark, and which Blüthner offers now.

The local Craigslist had a 6-6 keyboard upright once, 6 naturals and 6 sharps per octave alternating. I did not see it. There is a disadvantage in that you cannot orient your hands by feel.
The words first practical electric piano!

https://www.piedmontpiano.com/all-used-pianos/1939-storytone-spinet

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
I thought more would jump on board with this thread. I will keep my posts to pianos that I have actually seen. Let me start with this baby grand piano that was made for long distance trains. A family loved the piano (built by Lester here in Philadelphia) and had us fully rebuild it. It had 64 notes and was around 4'2" in length. It sounded just as fine as a Betsy Ross spinet.

[Linked Image]

For comparison sake, I am 6 '3".

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Ok.

Here is one that should get a little attention. This is a Mathushek concert grand piano with the spine (the flat side) on the opposite side as well as an unusual lid. By the way, this piano has a separate little pin block for every tuning pin.

[Linked Image]

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
V
V
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Ok.

Here is one that should get a little attention. This is a Mathushek concert grand piano with the spine (the flat side) on the opposite side as well as an unusual lid. By the way, this piano has a separate little pin block for every tuning pin.

Wait.

What?

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Separate pin blocks each for different pins (each block has a few pins )may be a good idea ?Cheaper to replace ,or not practical ,perhaps?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 06/16/20 10:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by violarules
Wait.

What?

You heard it right. Each tuning pin had a tiny little block of pin block material. The only advantage would be that one little piece could be replaced without any real fitting instead of cutting and fitting and restringing an entire piano. But it is likely that many of the pins would become loose in or around the same general time frame. You might as well put in a new block, right?

The piano sounded - and still sounds - beautiful.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission