2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (GnGEmpire, Beowulf, gooddog, CyberGene, Dore, dusty1920, achoo42, 8 invisible), 338 guests, and 467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23
K
K
David B - not trying to hijack the thread, but I LOVE your setup with the "projector" stand holding the large monitor. Perhaps work area setups should be its own thread! smile I am wondering if you have a keyboard/mouse hidden away somewhere to control it.

I've got a touchscreen that I currently have standing on the folded-down music desk of my CA79. This limits my ability to use physical music unless I move things around, which is a hassle, and usually I'm too lazy for that! Anyway, thanks for sharing your setup, tests, progress, and other info with us!!

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by kimby
David B - not trying to hijack the thread, but I LOVE your setup with the "projector" stand holding the large monitor. Perhaps work area setups should be its own thread! smile I am wondering if you have a keyboard/mouse hidden away somewhere to control it.

Ask and ye shall receive... smile

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/topics/2988831.html#Post2988831

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Simeon Amburgey is going live today at 3:00 EST. Walkthrough of VSL Bosendorfer Imperial. He can really play!

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I'm loving the Bösendorfer Imperial BI a lot now. It's playability is fantastic, I still prefer the sound of the Vienna Imperial but the BI sounds wonderful and it is just so playable, much easier to control dynamics than the Vienna.

❤️

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks to VSL fantastic demo offer (Thank you guys) I was able to download the new Bosendorfer imperial and to my surprise, going through for the short time, I am not in love with it. My opinion is that who ever has old Vienna Imperial, keep it. VI is more vibrant and natural. I can`t success, no matter what mic I using, to raise from the dead high notes and even middle despite overall wide sound stage and big picture. Playability is of course top notch as others. For 100 or more notes in 10-20 seconds this piano is working and it is good, but for less notes no. And no, I will not mess with EQ if piano doesn`t talk to me with 11 mics. Lets go to other pianos.

Last edited by slobajudge; 06/12/20 12:20 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I agree with you on Vienna Imperial being more natural sounding. But I have found a sound I can love with Bösendorfer Imperial.

I would give yourself more time to experiment and get a feel for this different beast.

I am using 3 mics because that is all my hardware can cope with for now and have a lovely sound.

I will provide some of my settings I can think of, off the top of my head, I am not at my computer, but these might help as a starting point for you to explore.

Reverb -30dB.
Dynamics at 150, volume quite high from the 3 mics. Midi offset -14. These values are to make it easier to access the low velocity samples.

RS -7dB
Timbre shift -1
The three mics I am using are ribbon, mid2 and high.

There are other I just can think of them off the top of my head.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by KevinM
I agree with you on Vienna Imperial being more natural sounding. But I have found a sound I can love with Bösendorfer Imperial.

I would give yourself more time to experiment and get a feel for this different beast.

I am using 3 mics because that is all my hardware can cope with for now and have a lovely sound.

I will provide some of my settings I can think of, off the top of my head, I am not at my computer, but these might help as a starting point for you to explore.

Reverb -30dB.
Dynamics at 150, volume quite high from the 3 mics. Midi offset -14. These values are to make it easier to access the low velocity samples.

RS -7dB
Timbre shift -1
The three mics I am using are ribbon, mid2 and high.

There are other I just can think of them off the top of my head.

Thank you Kevin for your thoughts and settings, it is true that I was spent short time with it. I will try with more effort once again tomorrow and will see. Anyway I put a more faith in VSL Steinway.

K
K
I purchased the full version of the Bosendorfer and even put a new Samsung 1Tb SSD in my desktop specifically for it. Downloaded everything and it took hours last night even with my Gb internet speed which didn't seem to make difference. I got the Vienna Key PW installed and updated but now I'm stuck. This is not like my Yamaha CSF where you get an icon on your computer you click and it opens up. I can't find anything or anywhere on my computer to open up and find the over 200Gb of software I have downloaded on my SSD. When you look on the tutorials they show you the place I want to be but not how they got there. I'm sorry it's probably quite simple but I currently have a white elephant.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You have to install in any order:
1) Steinberg eLicenser - to manage your dongle and licenses;
2) Vienna Download Manager.

Now you can install VSL Synchron Pianos - this is player software.

This may help: https://www.vsl.info/en/manuals/synchron-pianos/installation

Last edited by VladK; 06/12/20 07:04 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
B
B
Did you press install on the synchron download manager after it downloaded? It’s a big green button. For the full library it’s two separate installs. When doing this you get to choose where you want your library to be and the synchron player will known this when you start it up.

K
K
The first thing I did was install the elicenser. And yup I installed them both after downloading.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Did you just download libraries or also installed them?

[Linked Image]

You also have to download and install Vienna Synchron Pianos (player): https://www.vsl.co.at/en/MyDownloads/Software_Installers
and point it to the location of installed libraries:
[Linked Image]

Please read the VSL manual from the link in my previous post.

Last edited by VladK; 06/12/20 07:24 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
K
K
I didn’t have the Vienna synchron installed. Now downloading bosendorfer to area which seems will take some time. Strange already on my SSD there are 4 files:
1. Program Files 82.1 mb
2. Synchron piano Bosendorfer Imp 295Gb
3. Y18 Boesendorfer Multi 52.9 Gb
4. Y18 Boesendorfer Stereo 38.6Gb

To me this should be a lot easier!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It is hard to guess without seeing file extensions, but I guess that

1. Program Files 82.1 mb - contains programs
2. Synchron piano Bosendorfer Imp 295Gb - this is drectory with installed library files inside (all should have .vsynvolume extension)
3. Y18 Boesendorfer Multi 52.9 Gb - downloaded library file
4. Y18 Boesendorfer Stereo 38.6Gb - also downloaded library file

Vlad,
Adult beginner
K
K
You are correct about above. I installed the 52.9Gb, now started the 38.6Gb. It all seems too protractive with multiple steps and downloads just to get a single instrument. It is also not too intuitive and could certainly be made much easier. When you first go to the site you have to look all over to find the Bosendorfer among a very long list. They should just send you a simple email with exactly what needs to be downloaded and the sequence instead of leading you to a site to fish around among numerous software/manuals/Synchron library/Vl library etc. You don’t even know for sure when you’re clicking if you got the right one you need and in the right order.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No pun intended, but you are talking from a standpoint of an amator user who just bought a single lib from them.
VSL has much more complex ecosystem with couple hundred libraries and couple dozen software packages. Their usual customers know what they need and where to find it.
I find their modular approach very convenient and easy to understand.
And honestly, when I bought my first lib from them, I found it absolutely not hard to get everything downloaded and installed. Even more, I downloaded everything on one computer but installed on another. May be, I am used to read manuals?

Last edited by VladK; 06/12/20 10:40 PM.

Vlad,
Adult beginner
Originally Posted by VladK
No pun intended, but you are talking from a standpoint of an amator user who just bought a single lib from them.
VSL has much more complex ecosystem with couple hundred libraries and couple dozen software packages. Their usual customers know what they need and where to find it.
And honestly, when I bought my first lib from them, I found it absolutely not hard to get everything downloaded and installed. Even more, I downloaded everything on one computer but installed on another. May be, I am used to read manuals?

Where would we be without you, Vlad? So glad there are people like you on these forums.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by VladK

I bought my first computer when I was 25 years old (mid 40's now). So I didn't grow up with computer knowledge. However, I found it easy to download and install the VSL software by just following the instructions provided. I have every piano library they offer except for their older VI.

I switched to Mac computers when I was 39 and I don't care if they are overpriced because they just seem to make everything I do easier. I don't have to install drivers, everything is plug and play. They come with the software I need to record (GarageBand and iMovie), give presentations (keynote), etc.

My experience using VST's has been totally painless and a completely enjoyable experience. However, I wish I didn't feel the need to get every new one that comes out.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
My experience using VST's has been totally painless and a completely enjoyable experience. However, I wish I didn't feel the need to get every new one that comes out.

More than anyone, your demos and reviews really help make the case for these VSTs. I'm most impressed by your Modern U demos and you definitely make the case for the Bösendorfer... The enjoyment factor is evident in your playing.

What are the chances you could give the Pianoteq demo a whirl, if you haven't already? I'm curious if you find the U4 comparable to Modern U, what you think of the Steingraeber, etc.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by navindra
What are the chances you could give the Pianoteq demo a whirl, if you haven't already? I'm curious if you find the U4 comparable to Modern U, what you think of the Steingraeber, etc.

Hi,

I own Pianoteq (Stage) and have the Grotrian, Steinway D, and K2 models. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to develop a sound that I actually like. I've recorded a few songs with it, but I find it sounds a bit artificial or perhaps unnatural sounding. I know that some people on this forum really love Pianoteq, and I'm genuinely happy when people are enthusiastic about their gear and what they are doing. However, I can never seem to muster up the enthusiasm to play Pianoteq. I'm sorry.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Appraising a piano?
by jsilva - 04/13/21 09:18 PM
Bleeding edge synth tech c.1980 for Rush
by newer player - 04/13/21 08:36 PM
Yamaha U3 or Avant Grand N2
by Eggplanted - 04/13/21 05:46 PM
Kawai KXXX ATX 3
by Stax - 04/13/21 04:26 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,270
Posts3,082,125
Members101,182
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission