2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
C
There's no way of knowing what If any folders relating to previous installs of A4A, Focusrite or Motu are even in the User Data - local, low and roaming folders or in Program Files and X86 Program files without enabling "show hidden files" in "folder options" and checking. It's just covering the bases.

And if you go ahead and re-install the Motu, which I hope you try, put the cable you have into a different USB port.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 06/11/20 01:26 PM.
C
C
And if by chance you ever installed any kind of VST bridge 3rd party software in past such as Jbridge, get rid of it.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Chuck W.
And if by chance you ever installed any kind of VST bridge 3rd party software in past such as Jbridge, get rid of it.

Oh gotcha. No I don't have this installed, not have even heard of it!
Well, I only have one USB C port on my laptop, and the others I have tried with similar results. frown
It's quite unfortunate, huh?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Lai
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
There are some VST Host which are simpler than a DAW like Cantabile, Camelot Pro.

However, with Reaper (a low cost DAW), you need only a few function to record yourself :
- Device settings (like you should have in a VST),
- VST path (some VST install in a fancy path, then you have to declare their par),
- create a new track with a virtual instrument,
- record
- stop
(Eventually cut/delete to get rid of the begging of the track before the actual play),
- render (which create WAV or MP3).

The two first steps are needed once for all. Then using it for simple purposes is not that troublesome.

OK, I see. But loading Kontakt libraries through Kontakt itself requires some work, same with UVI Workstation. I can't just browse to a location using Windows Explorer and do it that way. It's a bit tricky. smile

Yes, but loading a Kontakt NKI should be done either with standalone or with a DAW and the VST. With Reaper, after loading Kontakt and its library... and tweaking the library (decreasing sustain noise typically), I save the configuration as a template. Once done, Reaper act as a VST+library launcher. Selecting File/Template/Bechstein Digital Grand create automatically a track with Kontakt on it and BDG loaded. It is quite handy.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
[/quote]

Yes, but loading a Kontakt NKI should be done either with standalone or with a DAW and the VST. With Reaper, after loading Kontakt and its library... and tweaking the library (decreasing sustain noise typically), I save the configuration as a template. Once done, Reaper act as a VST+library launcher. Selecting File/Template/Bechstein Digital Grand create automatically a track with Kontakt on it and BDG loaded. It is quite handy.[/quote]

Really? Now that's interesting! However, if you have a lot of patches and snapshots that would be a lot of work. Still, it's a nice way to do it for sure! Thanks for suggesting! smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi friends!
Here is some updated info. My sales engineer whom I have talked with for the past month suggested that, since I still need to do recordings for my teacher and other things, it would be wiser to, for now, bear with the drop outs. When the Presonus 24C comes in, I can work with it if it's OK. If not, the plan B would be the Focusrite 4I4, as that has loopback and my experience with the 2I2 was mostly ppositive. The 2i2 is now going to return to Sweetwater. When I receive the USB C cable, I will take a good look at MOTU again.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I have heard of MainStage, but haven't worked with it. Well, the VoiceOver feature on a MAC is worse than the iPhone, which sets me back from migrating to the Apple OS solution and has made me continue with PC and Windows till now. I've heard about long-standing accessibility bugs not fixed for many generations of the Mac operating system.

Although I know almost everything grin (lol), I never used this VoiceOver feature (I don't even know where it is). But Apple also has makes some serious junk. Without being technical, Siri is the worst VoiceOver assistant in the market I guess.

No. VoiceOver is an accessibility feature designed for blind users like me. It reads things on the screen so that I can go online, send emails, listen to articles, and, indeed, type this reply right here that you are reading with your eyes. The computer uses synthetic speech (which with the right tools, it can sound pretty human, like the voices Siri use to "speak" with) to provide these spoken feedback messages. However, not all things a screen reader like VoiceOver can read properly. It has to be a graphic user interface (GUI) with accessibility labels programed into every button and control you see on screen, like the standard Windows or Mac elements that come with your OS. Therefore, things like UVI Workstation are the worst in accessibility, while I can control Garritan CFX Concert Grand and parts of Synchron Pianos.
I hope that was not a too complicated explanation. smile[/quote]

Understood David laugh I'm sure if you use Siri it will be an extremely hilarious experience as it tends to mispronounce foreign/uncommon words particularly (or even some english words).

Last edited by Abdol; 06/11/20 06:58 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Abdol
[quote

Understood David laugh I'm sure if you use Siri it will be an extremely hilarious experience as it tends to mispronounce foreign/uncommon words particularly (or even some english words).[/quote]

Yes, I will need to "teach" it to pronounce names in particular, but mostly I think it's OK. The only thing it's not good is speech recognition. I was trying to dictate "pristine", but it kept coming out "Christine"!!! Also, "shipped" VS the s*** word, yes, honestly, it gave me something really... different...
On the phone, I usually opt for dictation, but the accuracy is a hit or miss.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Really? Now that's interesting! However, if you have a lot of patches and snapshots that would be a lot of work. Still, it's a nice way to do it for sure! Thanks for suggesting! smile

Yes, this makes some works, but we can create template for only mostly used pianos and create other ones when required. I don’t use many snapshots and if I need one, it is quite handy to select it directly from the VST. Then I don’t create many snapshots per VST.

In fact, my main use of Reaper is a VST launcher/switcher... and once for a while a recorder.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 06/12/20 05:33 AM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
yep, I am also learning how to store states in Cantabile. Would be very convenient just to end with a bunch of desktop shortcuts to quickly load desired VST with preset applied. Or to switch fast in Cantabile.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by VladK
yep, I am also learning how to store states in Cantabile. Would be very convenient just to end with a bunch of desktop shortcuts to quickly load desired VST with preset applied. Or to switch fast in Cantabile.

Ah, if Cantabile can be more accessible to the screen reader so I can get through the first screen, I think this should be a nice tool for me if I really need a VST host... smile

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hello David!
I'm steering a bit off-topic, but I'm curious about your impressions on the Motu M2 vs the Scarlett.
Did you perceive any difference in sound quality over monitors or headphones?
Any perceivable difference in latency?

Hi David and everyone.
It appears that no one here suggested the Yamaha AG-series USB mixers. They actually uses the same components as the Steinberg UR22, and even the same driver (Steinberg is owned by Yamaha). I have the AG03. 192khz/24bit audio, low latency, mic input with 48V phantom, stereo line inputs, line outputs, good headphone output, and has loopback. The loopback function is enabled by a switch in the mixer itself, so it's very easy to turn on when you need it and turn off when you don't need it. No audio drop outs. You can even use ASIO and Windows audio in parallel. It has also headset ports (separate mic and headphone). And it is much cheaper than any Focusrite, Steinberg, MOTU or any other decent interface.

Yamaha GB1K baby grand; Roland FP-80 & FP-7F; VI Labs Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX; Steinberg UR22mkII; Yamaha AG-03; Sennheiser HD 579 & HD 569; Zoom H5.
Me on YouTube: Duo Matschulat
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by matschulat
Hi David and everyone.
It appears that no one here suggested the Yamaha AG-series USB mixers. They actually uses the same components as the Steinberg UR22, and even the same driver (Steinberg is owned by Yamaha). I have the AG03. 192khz/24bit audio, low latency, mic input with 48V phantom, stereo line inputs, line outputs, good headphone output, and has loopback. The loopback function is enabled by a switch in the mixer itself, so it's very easy to turn on when you need it and turn off when you don't need it. No audio drop outs. You can even use ASIO and Windows audio in parallel. It has also headset ports (separate mic and headphone). And it is much cheaper than any Focusrite, Steinberg, MOTU or any other decent interface.

Goodness -- if you had chimed in last year, I would have gotten a different audio interface! smile Now I'm doing well with a FocusRite 4I4. Expensive? Yes, but I decided to get it for the loopback feature, which I need! Also, the speaker output of the 2I2 sounded good with my KRKs, that I believed the 4I4 would do the same. So, though I did pay more, I'm glad I kind of know what I'm getting. smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mcoll
Hello David!
I'm steering a bit off-topic, but I'm curious about your impressions on the Motu M2 vs the Scarlett.
Did you perceive any difference in sound quality over monitors or headphones?
Any perceivable difference in latency?

These are good questions. For me, I don't use headphones, so only monitors so far.

I do find the Motu to have a warmer sound than FocusRite, but both are good when listening to music. As for latency over midi, I think they are similar. I can't feel too much of a difference. Plus, the DAC on the Scarlett seems to be outputing higher volume IMO.

Last edited by David Lai; 09/01/21 04:38 PM.
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Motu M2 is outputing higher power, but it needs to be connected via USB C to USB C port (not USB C to USB A). Unfortunately, buying Motu M2 is currently not possible, at least in Europe. Expected shipments are 3-4 months from now smile

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
Motu M2 is outputing higher power, but it needs to be connected via USB C to USB C port (not USB C to USB A). Unfortunately, buying Motu M2 is currently not possible, at least in Europe. Expected shipments are 3-4 months from now smile

Wow, device shortage is still indeed a global thing! Glad I was able to get the Focusrite 4I4 before things start getting even worse...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission