2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
With the important disclaimer that we had a comparative sample size of 1, I (and another pro pianist) came to the opposite conclusion regarding the action performance from Tyr’s. However the NV5 pedal mechanism was definitely nicer, and yes, it will viscerally vibrate a lot in the bass if you turn it up a little. Couldn’t compare sound systems because of room placement, unfortunately.

This underscores the need for actually trying things in person (difficult right now, I know) and that we all have personal preferences. What works best for Tyr might be different than what I and another classical pianist (who own and play large grand pianos daily) want in a practice instrument. The forum “echo chamber” effect sometimes amplifies certain opinions as absolute facts...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
N
N
@Tyr, @darmoht, @terminaldegre: thanks for your feedback, very much appreciated! My wife should be able to try the nv5 this or next week. She hasn't played since 30 years, thus, I guess, she should be fine with either choice. We will see. We regularly attend concerts and listen to a lot of classical music with a good replay system. I understand that, in a given price class, the differences between replay systems are smaller than the differences between digital pianos of different brands. In spite of this, she is very often irritated by poor recordings and/or details that I do not even perceive. I anticipate that she will not want to play around with digital settings and options. She would go for an acoustic piano if that option was practicable. Hence my questions. I apologize if these were a bit off topic. Thanks again for replying, this forum is a great source of information. Best, nbpf

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
nbpf, if I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to send me a message.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Originally Posted by Pete14
Beautiful instrument! The beginning of the end?

As one member of this forum once famously said:

It never ends!

:-)

The NV5 is a gorgeous piano! I'm reading with delight that Tyr is still very happy with it.

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
blush

G
G
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
With the important disclaimer that we had a comparative sample size of 1, I (and another pro pianist) came to the opposite conclusion regarding the action performance from Tyr’s. However the NV5 pedal mechanism was definitely nicer, and yes, it will viscerally vibrate a lot in the bass if you turn it up a little. Couldn’t compare sound systems because of room placement, unfortunately.

This underscores the need for actually trying things in person (difficult right now, I know) and that we all have personal preferences. What works best for Tyr might be different than what I and another classical pianist (who own and play large grand pianos daily) want in a practice instrument. The forum “echo chamber” effect sometimes amplifies certain opinions as absolute facts...

A couple of questions, if I may

1. Does the "comparative sample size of 1" refer to just one experience of playing just one pair of instruments?
2. Your "opposite conclusion regarding the action performance" is rather cryptic. Can you elaborate on what you both thought were the differences, and the degree of difference, please? Preferably between the two hybrids, and in your view in comparison to an acoustic of a similar cost?

A more general thought is that there doesn't seem to be much mention on this forum that the Kawai is a lot more functional in terms of connectivity, and functionality than the NU1x. For example the Kawai has Bluetooth Midi, and multiple temperament options including a user temperament option. Not everyone will care about this limited aspect of the NU1x, but some really do as I understand it, and although the NU1x is an improvement on the NU1 in this regard, still consider the NU1x to be lacking in what should be expected in this respect for an instrument of this price and date.

Finally, can James or anyone comment on the availability of the NV5 these days? Is production keeping up with demand? This will obviously be a big factor in the price dealers can charge.

Last edited by Geoff G UK; 06/11/20 07:23 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
NU1X has USB audio interface that is lacking in NV5. This is a much more important and useful feature than Bluetooth MIDI which is useless for real-time playing.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/11/20 07:38 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
NU1X has USB audio interface that is lacking in NV5. This is a much more important and useful feature than Bluetooth MIDI which is useless for real-time playing.

+1

Tyr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
The Importance is based on your needs. If you are happy with the internal sampling, it's not important. It's a really useful feature for using a VST which makes ist darn easy to get good results.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
G
G
Originally Posted by Tyr
The Importance is based on your needs. If you are happy with the internal sampling, it's not important. It's a really useful feature for using a VST which makes ist darn easy to get good results.

It being USB audio, rather than Bluetooth Midi, presumably? (And only of interest assuming you're not happy enough with the internal sounds of the NV5, presumably?)

Am out of date on this stuff, clearly, but will an external USB audio interface make up for this lack in to he NV5?

Also, if I understand correctly, that feature was added to NU1x in a firmware update, so could this possibly be added to the NV5 in a firmware update?

But maybe Bluetooth audio was not a good example. The NV5 does seem to have more voices, and generally a lot more useful tech facilities, than the NU1x doesn't it? Of course it depends if you want that stuff, but it does give a more full blooded DP set of options, doesn't it, by comparison?

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Yamaha’s implementation of the audio interface was indeed an odd one.
For example, the Clavinovas’ got a ‘firmware’ update halfway through their cycle; which is not something Yamaha is known for doing.

For a feature like this, even if ready, Yamaha would simply wait for the next/new models simply to market the heck out of it. Among other ‘new’ features this would be another reason to compel customers into upgrading from the ‘685’ to the ‘785’.
To say the least, this took us all by surprise.

As for whether Kawai could do the same for the NV5 (add this functionality through a firmware update), this was heavily discussed ‘round here, and it seems like the answer is no; unless, that is, the hardware is already in place (very unlikely and presumably what Yamaha did), and a firmware update simply ‘activates’ this pre-existing feature.

Once again, this was an unexpected move by Yamaha (add/activate this functionality mid-cycle), but it was definitely a very welcome one.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yamaha released firmware 2.0 for my MODX 6 last year and it added some major updates to it which was very unexpected. And then, a few days ago they released firmware 2.5 which added even more surprising features such as the ability to morph between 8 FM-X patches that are analyzed by a Machine Learning algorithm, there a color gradient square on the touch screen and you can draw path over the morph to program transition or slide your finger in real time similar to vector synths from the past. That’s so amazing and so untypical for Yamaha that I couldn’t believe my eyes. And it’s a 2 year old synth, so they could have release a new instrument instead. Where is this world going?!

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/11/20 10:37 AM.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Bluetooth Midi works great for turning pages in Forscore. The left and middle pedals on the NV turns pages forward and backward. cool

Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Thank you very much, Sir, but I can turn my own pages!

The nerve of some ‘round here; as if I don’t have perfectly working arms and hands, suggesting a virtual page-turner of sorts!

What next, an app that’ll pedal for me? No thanks! My feet and legs are still working very well, and I can do this myself!

Where is this world going?! laugh

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomLC

Bluetooth Midi works great for turning pages in Forscore. The left and middle pedals on the NV turns pages forward and backward. cool

Well, forScore can turn pages by using facial gestures through the iPad TrueDepth camera - following your head or your lips. Yeah, you'd look ridiculous but at least your two other pedals are free to use wink Besides, doing facial expressions while playing automatically makes you a virtuoso, didn't you know?!

M
M
What next, an app that’ll pedal for me? No thanks! My feet and legs are still working very well, and I can do this myself!

Yeah, Pete14: but not all of us drive stick, so...

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
My bad!

You might want to rethink this, Pete ...
Thank you very much, Sir, but I can turn my own pages!

Post objectifying women deleted.

Last edited by BB Player; 06/11/20 07:36 PM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Upon evaluation of the evidence presented by Mac, I am forced to reconsider my stance on page-turners. I most certainly wouldn’t mind having that piece of tech by my piano.

*sexist comment deleted*

Last edited by BB Player; 06/11/20 07:37 PM.
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Quote of sexist comment deleted.

No!
laugh

Last edited by BB Player; 06/11/20 07:39 PM.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission