2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2988666 06/07/20 08:49 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I'd really appreciate views on whether people think I should exchange my current N1 for an NV5. I have had the N1 for nearly 10 years. It's a lovely piano but I would like Bluetooth functionality and the N1 does look quite bulky given it's in quite a small room. I thought about exchange the N1 for an NU1X but was told this would seem like a trade down from my current N1 (and would cost me to do this). Similarly, I feel that the cost to exchange an N1 for an N1X just to get a few extra functions, isn't worth the cost. As such, I'm settling on the idea of exchanging my N1 for an NV5 (which will still require a cash payment of £2.5k to make this exchange). I don't really like the look of the NV10 and prefer something which looks like a standard acoustic piano. Any views? Thank you.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The most important thing is you will switch to an upright piano action from a grand piano action. Are you OK with that?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
if that price is correct you are getting a trade-in of ~4000£ for the 10 year old N1? Including VAT, the NV5 is only 2500£? I must be misunderstanding something.

Last edited by TomLC; 06/07/20 09:26 AM.

Kawai NV10
S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
I assume you have tried all these piano to get a sense of how the keyboard action works and also the sound ?

I have recently played the N1X, the NV5 and the NV10. My quick obsetvation on those below. Also i dont know how your 10 years old N1 is so i cant really compare.

The action of N1X is sort of like a grand, but i dont find (personal opinion of course) that it is really like that. It is not quite as responsive and a bit heavier. Obviously the dynamic control is not comparable with a real acoustic but i find that the NV are doing just a little better job.

The action of the NV is much closer to a real acoustic. In fact if i did not know it was a digital, i would think it is an acoustic. It is not comparable with a top upright or grand but good enough. The main difference between the 2 is in the touch.

The NV5 will have this typical resistance you feel in an upright, and so it is not really heavier than the N1 but it has this mid course resistance that you need to overcome. The fast repetition is really good and i had no issue playing fast repeated notes. The N1 is definitely more linear.

The NV10 has a grand action, so it is definitely lighter and smoother with just a little amount of resistance like in a good grand. It does not compare with a top grand (i have a Bluthner model 6) but it is good. There is no doubt that it makes playing easier, but it remains a digital in the sense that the sound (in particular through the speakers) is generated so the granularity over the dynamics is not as refined.

For the sound, it is very subjective. I find that through the headphones, the Kawai had a richer rendition. Through the speakers, the N1 is brighter and the Kawai a little tamed. I found that the NV10 had way too much resonance in the bass (though i assume it can be adjusted ?), so I prefer the sound of the NV5.

Also the pedal course seemed a bit short on the NV10, just right on the N1 and NV5 but in this last one the spring is way too hard. If you take it you need to ask that the factory install a lighter spring.

All in all, for me the NV10 does not work well in a small room. Plus frankly for 9 or 10k it is getting pretty expensive for a digital. Honestly the internal sound is not better than on the NV5 and i did not like the external one.

Now it is clear that the NV5 has an upright action, so that is the main decision point. The N1 is sort of in between so it could be a tradeoff. That said i would not mind playing on the NV5.

Blüthner model 6
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by TomLC
if that price is correct you are getting a trade-in of ~4000£ for the 10 year old N1? Including VAT, the NV5 is only 2500£? I must be misunderstanding something.

I think he said that he has to pay £2500 to be able to make the trade.

NV5 £5400 - £2500 = £2900 (trade-in value of the N1).

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think he said the deal costs 2500 GBP plus trade of the N1, in exchange for the NV5.

If that is correct, then ...

PW member Mikes_Attic reported paying 5000 GBP for an NV5 at Bonner's last February.

So the arithmetic tells us that the N1 trade-in is valued at around 2500 GBP in this deal.
Back in the day the N1 might have sold for around 5000 GBP ... if the prices paid listings mean anything.
So the 2500 GBP trad-in is around half of the original selling price.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hurry and write the check! What can the dealer get for a N1 that old?

Kawai NV10
J
OP Offline
J
I'm being offered £2,900 for my N1, the NV5 is costing £5,399 so that means £2,499 to pay.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The most important thing is you will switch to an upright piano action from a grand piano action. Are you OK with that?

IMO, no. Grrand is always grand. I would try to re-kindle your love for your N1. It's easy to get swayed by new and shinny.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
That's about $6800 US. But it includes VAT, right? That seem fair. He is giving you a great trade-in value. imo, of course.

Kawai NV10
M
M
The price has gone up since I bought mine last year .. but I must say l love the NV5, it is played daily by me and my daughter. It is perfect for our needs and the space we have ... we do not have room for an NV 10 or N1x

Current: Yamaha P250
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by 36251

IMO, no. Grrand is always grand. I would try to re-kindle your love for your N1. It's easy to get swayed by new and shinny.
Nope, this is dogma and ignores Sidokar's post and my own experience of an K500 in a showroom with grands. Of course a well regulated quality grand in the hands of a top rate pianist may well be better than a similar quality upright, but then it also depends a bit on the music played.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 06/07/20 12:11 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by 36251

IMO, no. Grand is always grand. I would try to re-kindle your love for your N1. It's easy to get swayed by new and shinny.

Nope, this is dogma and ignores Sidokar's post and my own experience of an K500 in a showroom with grands. Of course a well regulated quality grand in the hands of a top rate pianist may well be better than a similar quality upright, but then it also depends a bit on the music played.

"Nope, this is dogma and ignores Sidokar's post and my own experience of an K500." Sure it ignores your post - they're just personal opinion. I labeled my comment, my opinion; maybe you should?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by James9694
Similarly, I feel that the cost to exchange an N1 for an N1X just to get a few extra functions, isn't worth the cost.

I don't get how trading for an NV isn't also just to get a few extra functions.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Online Content
Hello James,

Originally Posted by James9694
I'd really appreciate views on whether people think I should exchange my current N1 for an NV5. I have had the N1 for nearly 10 years. It's a lovely piano but I would like Bluetooth functionality and the N1 does look quite bulky given it's in quite a small room. I thought about exchange the N1 for an NU1X but was told this would seem like a trade down from my current N1 (and would cost me to do this). Similarly, I feel that the cost to exchange an N1 for an N1X just to get a few extra functions, isn't worth the cost. As such, I'm settling on the idea of exchanging my N1 for an NV5 (which will still require a cash payment of £2.5k to make this exchange). I don't really like the look of the NV10 and prefer something which looks like a standard acoustic piano. Any views? Thank you.

May I ask if you have played the NV5 already? If so, how was the playing experience compared to your existing N1?

By the way, I believe it should be possible to add Bluetooth MIDI and Bluetooth Audio functionality to your N1 by using adapters, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-MDBT01-Wireless-Bluetooth-Adapter/dp/B01AXSYSLU/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bluetooth+audio+receiver

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission