2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
45 members (CajunJ, Abdol, CyberGene, albydooby, bobrunyan, bxrdad1, 13 invisible), 500 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
List of Yamaha models HELP
#2988550 06/06/20 05:20 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone!

I'd like to find out more about these models, but I have yet to find any useful information on every model. (The way they differ from each other)

If maybe someone has a link to a page where these models are listed with the differences between them, I would greatly appriciate it!

[img]http://prntscr.com/sv31ze[/img]

"Play a wrong note is insignificant, playing without passion is inexcusable!"
(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: List of Yamaha models HELP
Ny. Dominik #2988556 06/06/20 05:44 PM
T
T
The Piano Buyer will have some information: https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/yamaha/

Ny. Dominik #2988561 06/06/20 06:24 PM
G
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
G
U1,U2 and U3 ranges are the standard models in increasing size. You don't see many U2 pianos. The variants of these just reflect minor changes as the models evolved over the years. Essentially there is no difference between the different lettered versions as the condition of an individual piano is much more important than the minor variations.

UX range are premium quality models for the Japanese home market. You get better felt and better wood in the hammers. Maybe the pick of the Spruce used in the soundboards. I have found they can sound more mellow overall than the standard pianos but again there is much variance. Although that might be the average there is variance- you can still get a standard U3 that sound more mellow than a UX3 at the brighter end of that models range.

For pianos of these ages, just play them and find the one you like, then check it is in good condition. Don't worry too much about the individual model specifications.

There are more models than you list as well, and not that much info i=on them. Here's an article about the U3/UX3 models https://markgoodwinpianos.co.uk/yamaha/difference-u3-u30a-u30bl-yu30-ux-ux3-yu3s-yu3sxg-yu5sxg-yua

gwing #2988623 06/07/20 03:07 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by gwing
U1,U2 and U3 ranges are the standard models in increasing size. You don't see many U2 pianos. The variants of these just reflect minor changes as the models evolved over the years. Essentially there is no difference between the different lettered versions as the condition of an individual piano is much more important than the minor variations.

UX range are premium quality models for the Japanese home market. You get better felt and better wood in the hammers. Maybe the pick of the Spruce used in the soundboards. I have found they can sound more mellow overall than the standard pianos but again there is much variance. Although that might be the average there is variance- you can still get a standard U3 that sound more mellow than a UX3 at the brighter end of that models range.

For pianos of these ages, just play them and find the one you like, then check it is in good condition. Don't worry too much about the individual model specifications.

There are more models than you list as well, and not that much info i=on them. Here's an article about the U3/UX3 models https://markgoodwinpianos.co.uk/yamaha/difference-u3-u30a-u30bl-yu30-ux-ux3-yu3s-yu3sxg-yu5sxg-yua
Thank you, although I need to find out info specifically about those models, as they differ a lot in retail price, and my boss gave me this to find out everything I can about the different models (Nor just U1-2-3 in general)

Ny. Dominik #2988645 06/07/20 06:48 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Ny. Dominik
Thank you, although I need to find out info specifically about those models, as they differ a lot in retail price, and my boss gave me this to find out everything I can about the different models (Nor just U1-2-3 in general)

Ah well, your main problem is probably not the lack of information but more the stupidity of management.

The models really do *not* differ greatly in retail price. At least not in my country. Price depends mainly on age and condition not model variant, and also by the marketing practices of individual sellers and the prices they choose to advertise - for which there is little reason at times.

Basically older models are considerably cheaper than younger ones. U3 size models are priced at either the same as their U1 equivalent or perhaps 10-15% higher. The premium X series models are priced either the same or perhaps another 10% over the standard range. Ditto for the silent models. For recent pianos that all changes and the original selling price has more influence on the used retail price.

Good luck in your search for hard information on the differences between variations in the older pianos. As far as I know this isn't available but if you find useful info please let us know.

Last edited by gwing; 06/07/20 06:50 AM.
gwing #2988680 06/07/20 09:28 AM
j&j Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Ah well, your main problem is probably not the lack of information but more the stupidity of management.

The models really do *not* differ greatly in retail price. At least not in my country. Price depends mainly on age and condition not model variant, and also by the marketing practices of individual sellers and the prices they choose to advertise - for which there is little reason at times.

Basically older models are considerably cheaper than younger ones. U3 size models are priced at either the same as their U1 equivalent or perhaps 10-15% higher. The premium X series models are priced either the same or perhaps another 10% over the standard range. Ditto for the silent models. For recent pianos that all changes and the original selling price has more influence on the used retail price.

Good luck in your search for hard information on the differences between variations in the older pianos. As far as I know this isn't available but if you find useful info please let us know.

Are you studying to be a piano salesperson? I think gwing sounds exactly right. You could perhaps find a knowledgeable piano technician that’s been servicing Yamaha pianos forever and ask them those questions.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
j&j #2988699 06/07/20 10:16 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by j&j

Are you studying to be a piano salesperson? I think gwing sounds exactly right. You could perhaps find a knowledgeable piano technician that’s been servicing Yamaha pianos forever and ask them those questions.
Well he is a sales person, I'm a tech student, he just doesn't have time for this to look thru everything so he gave it to me but I could not really find anything. For example a yamaha U3G retail price is 2000 eur, meanwhile a U30A is 3200. Is it really just the age difference but named differently?

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin - Nocturne in C Sharp Minor (No. 20)
by ContentPiano - 07/06/20 09:00 AM
Pedal doesn’t really sustain notes
by Prestzie - 07/06/20 07:55 AM
Recording The CFX Concert Grand ???
by Pianoworldstage - 07/06/20 06:15 AM
Quarantine tuning, CyberTuner
by AlphaTerminus - 07/06/20 06:12 AM
Do you like your slow close fallboard?
by Lady Bird - 07/06/20 12:16 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,060
Posts2,977,415
Members97,673
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission