2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
73 members (Boboulus, Abdol, 36251, Arty Movie, Ben Hefel, blueviewlaguna., ando, APianistFromItaly, 16 invisible), 529 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai CA79 variable key down weight
#2988236 06/05/20 04:54 PM
W
OP Offline
W
So I finally got myself a CA79. And I have to say I am very pleased with the sound and feeling of the keys.

But there is one thing that worries me.

Is it natural that there is so much difference in the down weight pressure of the keys? I am only an intermediate level pianist, but I still feel there is some awkwardness when a few keys suddenly are much harder to press down. In the video you see that A2 and F4 (and G4 to some degree) are way heavier than the others. Is this acceptable?

Re: Kawai CA79 variable key down weight
WalthervonStolzing #2988271 06/05/20 07:49 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
No. I don't know where you are located, but you might want to call your dealer or the Kawai service in your country.

[Linked Image]

Kawai NV10
WalthervonStolzing #2988288 06/05/20 10:32 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Is it brand new? If it is brand new, it's possible the felt bushings or the wood keys may have swelled a little due to humidity. It may loosen up with some playing, or change in weather.

Some variation is normal but I don't know how much is abnormal.

If the piano is not brand new, the other likely scenario would be it needing a cleaning and lubrication. Please note that most of the materials suggested around this forum for cleaning and lubricating the keys are the WRONG materials. If attempting this yourself, capstans should be cleaned with ALCOHOL and lubricated with SILICONE OIL only. Per Kawai maintenance specifications.

Joe Garfield #2988322 06/06/20 02:05 AM
H
H
Originally Posted by Joe Garfield
Is it brand new? If it is brand new, it's possible the felt bushings or the wood keys may have swelled a little due to humidity. It may loosen up with some playing, or change in weather.

probably some friction in the action parts from manufacturing. You should try to put some hours into it and see if it loosens up before trying something like opening it up.

WalthervonStolzing #2988396 06/06/20 10:18 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Considering the slight unevenness of the action weight of my brand new CA79, I was actually fantasizing about returning the CA79 and instead buy a cheaper Roland or Yamaha. In my mind those pianos probably have more even keys, better feel and better quality overall. So early this morning I went to a neighboring town (Kristiansand, Norway) and visited a much bigger piano store (compared to what we have in my town). I spent quite some time testing a lot of digital pianos : Roland FP90 F-140R , Yamaha CLP 35/45/75, Orla and Kurzweil. Even a real Yamaha grand (dont remember the name).

And Oh-Boy! What a wake-up call!!!

None of these pianos was even remotely close to the quality and feel of my CA79! Even with a couple of slightly sluggish keys (witch are still more nimble and responsive compared to ANY keys of the Yamaha brands), there is no competition at all. Kawai CA79 is in a whole other league compared to all the pianos in that store.
I even brought the headphone I use at home (AKG K501), and tested it on several pianos (including the CLP 675, which is supposed to have pretty good headphone amp).
There was a huge grin on my face when I realized once again how good the headphone sound from my CA79 is in comparison.

I really needed this trip. Now I can rest assured that my piano really is as good as everyone says.

I have decided to give those somewhat sluggish keys more time to readjust. If they dont become lighter, I will contact my local store (Grimstad, Norway), and try to fix it. But even if it cannot be fixed, I can live with that. Because now I know that my piano is still better than anything else out there.

WalthervonStolzing #2988588 06/06/20 07:30 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Your piano has real keys and real parts that can be adjusted to your liking by a real piano technician. None of the plastic actions can. That is the trade off. Plastic keys pivoting on plastic or metal bearings that look great and don’t change much, or wood keys and felt bushings that feel great but require Periodic maintenance.

WalthervonStolzing #2988636 06/07/20 05:17 AM
Y
Y
@ WalthervonStolzing

This is a little bit off-topic but I wanted to ask you anyway, since I'm looking to buy a CA-79 and happen to live in the same town.

From what dealer did you purchase yours? and are you happy with the purchase?
I've been trying to find a dealer as close as possible, but Kawai seems to be in much shorter supply than other brands like Yamaha and Roland.

I had some issues with a previous digital piano and ended up having to return it, so I would prefer being able to talk to the dealer in person if a problem should pop up.

Yoghurt Please #2988953 06/08/20 04:56 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Yoghurt Please
@ WalthervonStolzing

This is a little bit off-topic but I wanted to ask you anyway, since I'm looking to buy a CA-79 and happen to live in the same town.

From what dealer did you purchase yours? and are you happy with the purchase?
I've been trying to find a dealer as close as possible, but Kawai seems to be in much shorter supply than other brands like Yamaha and Roland.

I had some issues with a previous digital piano and ended up having to return it, so I would prefer being able to talk to the dealer in person if a problem should pop up.

It is the local music shop near the church smile Just talk to him.

WalthervonStolzing #2989114 06/08/20 03:52 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by WalthervonStolzing
Considering the slight unevenness of the action weight of my brand new CA79, I was actually fantasizing about returning the CA79 and instead buy a cheaper Roland or Yamaha. In my mind those pianos probably have more even keys, better feel and better quality overall. So early this morning I went to a neighboring town (Kristiansand, Norway) and visited a much bigger piano store (compared to what we have in my town). I spent quite some time testing a lot of digital pianos : Roland FP90 F-140R , Yamaha CLP 35/45/75, Orla and Kurzweil. Even a real Yamaha grand (dont remember the name).

And Oh-Boy! What a wake-up call!!!

None of these pianos was even remotely close to the quality and feel of my CA79! Even with a couple of slightly sluggish keys (witch are still more nimble and responsive compared to ANY keys of the Yamaha brands), there is no competition at all. Kawai CA79 is in a whole other league compared to all the pianos in that store.
I even brought the headphone I use at home (AKG K501), and tested it on several pianos (including the CLP 675, which is supposed to have pretty good headphone amp).
There was a huge grin on my face when I realized once again how good the headphone sound from my CA79 is in comparison.

I really needed this trip. Now I can rest assured that my piano really is as good as everyone says.

I have decided to give those somewhat sluggish keys more time to readjust. If they dont become lighter, I will contact my local store (Grimstad, Norway), and try to fix it. But even if it cannot be fixed, I can live with that. Because now I know that my piano is still better than anything else out there.

Just placed my order on a CA79. Even though I made the decision after trying the comparable Roland and Yamaha models, but still happy to see someone sharing the same feeling here.

WalthervonStolzing #2989120 06/08/20 04:17 PM
K
K
Welcome to the CA79/CA99 family, JerryY! I am a recent owner and it has breathed new life into my desire to practice and play.

Previous long-time owner of a Yahama P-120 (and love it) - now has new life with a student
Brand new owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anyone else struggling?
by ebonykawai - 07/14/20 05:41 PM
Playing softer comes with experience ?
by GHN - 07/14/20 03:43 PM
Do vst sample different attacks/dampening?
by pold - 07/14/20 03:07 PM
A nice but puzzling Schimmel grand
by Pianosearcher - 07/14/20 02:19 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,251
Posts2,980,613
Members97,771
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission