2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
56 members (aphexdisklavier, anotherscott, 3B43, apianostudent, 36251, Arty Movie, 16 invisible), 462 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
What do you think of Lang Lang?
#2987410 06/03/20 12:48 PM
D
OP Online Content
D
I just saw this article a few days ago,

https://interlude.hk/the-lang-lang-...9MMwQGLjevDL_6Som1SmSm3voct3yL0CUotpnK1Y

What are your opinions of Lang Lang?

For me, I disliked his style for a long time, thinking it was overboard and comical. Later on, I fell in love with many of his performance (Tristesse, anyone ???) and started to understand and appreciate his style, technique, and interpretation.

He is now one of my most favorite classical concert pianists !! smile

Re: What do you think of Lang Lang?
DreamPiano80 #2987421 06/03/20 01:16 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
There's a very fine line to be drawn between lyricism and maudlin sentimentality. Lang Lang doesn't find that line in this video and perhaps his demeanor has something to do with it.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
DreamPiano80 #2987443 06/03/20 02:15 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I don't care about anyone's style, I take things on a per-piece basis and put the bar very high. Very few preformances are really good and I did not yet hear one from his hand.

Looking at the videos, I see too much distraction. Just play it without weird motions or gestures please. It could be chinese manners. Or mayhe he is just acting out what the public is asking. I'll just close my eyes when I find a performance of him that cuts it for me.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
wouter79 #2987446 06/03/20 02:20 PM
D
OP Online Content
D
Originally Posted by wouter79
I don't care about anyone's style, I take things on a per-piece basis and put the bar very high. Very few preformances are really good and I did not yet hear one from his hand.

Looking at the videos, I see too much distraction. Just play it without weird motions or gestures please. It could be chinese manners. Or mayhe he is just acting out what the public is asking. I'll just close my eyes when I find a performance of him that cuts it for me.

I agree with that. Even when watching videos of other performers/pianists, I tend not to watch but just listen to the music.

Last edited by DreamPiano80; 06/03/20 02:20 PM.
DreamPiano80 #2987454 06/03/20 02:42 PM
Online Content
Plusses: terrific technique, has done an incredible amount to popularize classical music both in China and the rest of the world, excellent tone, infectious enthusiasm/personality

Minusses: interpretations are quite often bizarre/unmusical, is sometimes more of a showman than a serious classical musician, mannerisms mostly seem faked and extreme

Because of everything LL has done to popularize classical music I can "forgive" what I see as his shortcomings.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/03/20 02:44 PM.
DreamPiano80 #2987455 06/03/20 02:43 PM
Online Content
Plusses: terrific technique, has done an incredible amount to popularize classical music both in China and the rest of the world, excellent tone, infectious enthusiasm

Minusses: interpretations are quite often bizarre/unmusical, is sometimes more of a showman than a serious classical musician, mannerisms mostly seem faked and extreme

Because of everything LL has done to popularize classical music I can "forgive" what I see as his shortcomings.

BruceD #2987464 06/03/20 03:05 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
There's a very fine line to be drawn between lyricism and maudlin sentimentality. Lang Lang doesn't find that line in this video and perhaps his demeanor has something to do with it.

Regards,

These things are subjective, so I can only say how I felt, which was similar to BruceD.

Body language and visual articulations aside, it was not an interpretation I was fond of. The musical articulations in the main section felt overdone and unnatural to me, while the middle section felt steely and virtuosic to me once he got past the opening theme of the section.

My chronological list of the top 20 composers: Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Schumann, Wagner, Verdi, Brahms, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Debussy, Bartok, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich.
DreamPiano80 #2987498 06/03/20 04:13 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Lang Lang was very impressive and inspiring when he first appeared in the scene in 2003.

He wanted to be like Kissin. I am reminded how good Kissin is again by his Chopin Impromptus. (Mark C, what do you think about this one? :-)
Kissin Chopin Impromptus

Last edited by newport; 06/03/20 04:15 PM.

Liszt Piano Concerto No. 1
DreamPiano80 #2987508 06/03/20 04:45 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Lang Lang is not my favorite pianist but I read the article and I find it quite unfair and simplistic. Most of it is more about LL attitude and impact rather than its actual playing. It is unfair because one can not hold just one person responsible of what the journalist is accusing LL of.

I find LL very often cant find the right balance between sensibility and sentimentalism (and mannerism). In His live performances he tends to accentuate this side. The same piece in a recording is more balanced, even if it is still very "romantic."

https://youtu.be/QaU4AuZ-2JQ

DreamPiano80 #2987538 06/03/20 05:44 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
He isn't my favourite pianist, I have to admit, but I found the article rather unfair as others have said. He isn't the only Chinese musician to have been successful, of course, although he has undoubtedly influenced parent's views on what their children could possibly achieve, but nevertheless that article just made me think the less of the journalist and more of him.

The recording of 'Tristesse' to me demonstrates a really excellent touch and tone, but frankly is, well, others have expressed it better than I can.

It's a shame, because he comes across in the few of his 'masterclasses' that I have seen as having genuine sentiments, love and understanding of music, and as an aside, as a nice guy. Unfortunately, though, I'm not really that keen on his interpretations of pieces that I have listened to. I'll persevere...

Last edited by petebfrance; 06/03/20 05:45 PM.

regards
Pete
DreamPiano80 #2987543 06/03/20 05:49 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Yes - his mannerisms can be distracting but I really liked this version in contrast to this Clair de Lune which was so, so slow. The accompanying video was possibly more interesting.

Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
DreamPiano80 #2987569 06/03/20 06:44 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think Lang Lang is a fine pianist, much like Yuja Wang. He gets criticized by people who prefer to listen to music with their eyes.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
AZNpiano #2987574 06/03/20 07:01 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I think Lang Lang is a fine pianist, much like Yuja Wang. He gets criticized by people who prefer to listen to music with their eyes.

My ears tell me Yuja far exceeds Lang Lang.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
DreamPiano80 #2987579 06/03/20 07:06 PM
I
I
Lang Lang? I personally don't like his playing. He seems like a genuine person, but that's unfortunately not what we're judging.

Take the Liszt E-flat concerto, which most modern pianists bang away without any understanding of the piece - I've heard very few do it justice - Lang Lang disappointed me in that concerto, unsurprisingly.

His Rondo alla Turca from a few years ago was way too fast.

Pianist-in-training. Also an 18 year old who hasn't grown up at heart.

Fanboy of Edward MacDowell
dogperson #2987582 06/03/20 07:12 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson

My ears tell me Yuja far exceeds Lang Lang.

You are entitled to your aural opinion, but I'm glad you're not one of those people who also criticize Yuja Wang's music with their eyes.

I like Yuja a little bit more than Lang because of her impeccable taste in repertoire. But they are about the same level in terms of technical brilliance and depth of musical thoughts.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
AZNpiano #2987660 06/04/20 02:23 AM
D
OP Online Content
D

My thumbs up !! smile

(On a side note, I think Taylor Swift gets many awards or popular by her look rather than her music... but that is not even piano smile )

DreamPiano80 #2987668 06/04/20 03:04 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by DreamPiano80
(On a side note, I think Taylor Swift gets many awards or popular by her look rather than her music... but that is not even piano smile )

In the pop business, the look is part of the performance. But that said Taylor Swift is a great professional. She works a lot and her clips as well as concerts are perfectly staged. I am not a fan of her songs but i have to admit this is high quality work, most of the time. So she deserves her success, if that has any sense in the pop biz !

DreamPiano80 #2987673 06/04/20 04:16 AM
<<
Because of everything LL has done to popularize classical music I can "forgive" what I see as his shortcomings>>

Yes! I’m glad you said it twice. smile

TH
[Linked Image]
DreamPiano80 #2987674 06/04/20 04:27 AM
What a relatively negative article. Where are the videos the writer said he linked?

“ To validate my point, I am posting videos of two spike-haired, tuxedo-clad, head-bobbing 5-year-old pianists, who have achieved “stardom” via television appearances on the Ellen DeGeneres Show, playing piano in a spectacular but uncouth fashion, and became wildly famous when their footages went viral on the internet.”

TH
[Linked Image]
AZNpiano #2987692 06/04/20 06:23 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Not true in my case and this instance because I didn't watch the video, just listened. I know that I find his movements off-putting, so I just scrolled down away from the video and listened.

My objection was that in the first section there were too many short pauses, the sort of thing one does to emphasis a note or phrase, but nothing came across to me of the emphasis, just short pauses that destroyed the flow, and there seemed to be too many. Kind of irritating, really. It is, of course, just my opinion. It's a shame, because the 2nd part had some wonderful moments, but by the time it had got that far I was fed-up with what I was hearing.

The comparison with Yuja Wang is interesting. She is, of course, much less 'mobile' when playing which I find preferable when watching. Who is the better pianist? That's another matter, and one that I am not qualified to comment on.

But, as I said earlier, I thought the article rather unfair and will listen to more of his performances because there is certainly something there of value - so perhaps it's just that I don't appreciate etc..

regards
Pete
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What in the world is this?
by littlefinger - 07/03/20 04:55 PM
Would you mind critiquing my hands?
by AmagicalFishy - 07/03/20 03:32 PM
replacement key top options
by oldMH - 07/03/20 03:09 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,005
Posts2,976,447
Members97,641
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission