2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mikepis
Originally Posted by Tyr
As someone who had the NU1X and currently holds an NV5: Go for the CA99. The NU1X is a great instrument. If you don't want to fiddle around with Settings and don't switch Voices often, the NU1X is good though the action feels a bit stiff and heavier near the fallboard. Also it's very noisy (which was the main concern why i switched to the NV5).

If you can, try both and decide. It's the best way to determine which you like more.

Is the 2000 euro difference worth having features like splittable keybed, 90 voices and a touch screen display? Not that I did not like NV5 and did not want to have one.

It's not just that. There is also the Soundboard, Damper Mechanism, Key Action etc. For me: Yes it's worth. On the other hand: The CA99 is the cheaper version of the NV5 with nearly identical results. If you don't care about a real action, the CA99 is the best you can get atm.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
CA99B is €3979 at Thomann.
NU1X is €4390

The price difference is €411

However NU1X is polished ebony while CA99 is not. There's a polished ebony CA99PE version too, which is €4479, i.e. it's even more expensive than NU1X.

So, we'll obviously compare the polished ebony versions because that's how a piano should look. Do you mind paying the same price for a piano that doesn't have real acoustic action? They say it's a good piano but not many people really know that for a fact because there was the COVID situation and not many people have tested any pianos recently. At the same time NU1X is a proven piano with wonderful and REAL piano action. GF2 suffered from mushiness and that's supposedly fixed in the GF3. GF2 is also notorious for suffering from slip tape problems leading to sticky keys and all sort of problems. That's also supposedly fixed. But it hasn't yet been established, are you sure it won't show some other problems? Fixing one part of a faulty design often leads to affecting another one. The mushiness was caused by too thick felts on the keys. You need thick felts because there's no real escapement and something needs to stop the hammer and the key with key pushing the hammer all the way. Now, they reduced the felt to make the bottoming out harder. But that would also affect the hammer which will experience more stress than before. Are you sure about the durability of that new action with this changed behavior? smile I'm just asking questions. But I wouldn't pay €89 more than a piano with real and proven acoustic action that feels great. There's the soundboard. I haven't personally found soundboards such a big deal.

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/03/20 09:57 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
All very good points. But everything has its advantages and disadvantages, and it seems you may not have delved into the "minuses" of the NU1X with the same rigor as you do the CA-99 (including predecessors)?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
All very good points. But everything has its advantages and disadvantages, and it seems you may not have delved into the "minuses" of the NU1X with the same rigor as you do the CA-99 (including predecessors)?

Well, I'm usually doing this thing when I see a movie on IMDB that I rather hated but people praise and it has a way too high score. So I go and put one star smile I don't think it's a one star movie, rather 4-5 but I need to counterbalance the unfair praise. IMO of course. Which is why I did the same here smile

Real disadvantages of NU1X: it's an upright action and requires that you release the keys fully before repeating them again. Might become tricky for playing soft trills, etc. And needs getting used, can lead to missed notes. Also the loud note issue. I'm stubborn as heck but until I test it myself and declare this issue eliminated, I won't believe anybody, sorry nothing personal against you people who say it's been fixed laugh Now, CA99 will allow repeating the keys with only slightly releasing them which is better than NU1X. Even cheaper digital pianos with triple sensors are like that and thus "better" than NU1X (or any upright to that matter). OTOH, typical digital piano actions, due to the lack of escapement, as already brought up by me, would act strange when playing trills, a punching bag effect, so trills are still not that well-controlled as on a real grand piano.

And the NU1X doesn't have touch screen, many other voices, etc. compared to CA99.

These are the disadvantages I can think of, when compared to CA99.

P.S. For quite a long time the Dark Knight movie was the top 1 movie on IMDB. Come on, really?! A movie about a bat-man? Imagine aliens coming to our world and we need to show them our artistic achievements. And in the movie category we show some movie (yeah, very good indeed) about some batman and some whatever-man or whatever-woman and need to explain that this is based on a comic because some kids liked reading comic books, and it's actually the n-th sequel and the actor in the antagonist role recently died, so that's why this is the best movie on earth. Really?!

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/03/20 10:34 AM.

M
M
Originally Posted by CyberGene
CA99B is €3979 at Thomann.
NU1X is €4390

The price difference is €411

However NU1X is polished ebony while CA99 is not. There's a polished ebony CA99PE version too, which is €4479, i.e. it's even more expensive than NU1X.

So, we'll obviously compare the polished ebony versions because that's how a piano should look. Do you mind paying the same price for a piano that doesn't have real acoustic action? They say it's a good piano but not many people really know that for a fact because there was the COVID situation and not many people have tested any pianos recently. At the same time NU1X is a proven piano with wonderful and REAL piano action. GF2 suffered from mushiness and that's supposedly fixed in the GF3. GF2 is also notorious for suffering from slip tape problems leading to sticky keys and all sort of problems. That's also supposedly fixed. But it hasn't yet been established, are you sure it won't show some other problems? Fixing one part of a faulty design often leads to affecting another one. The mushiness was caused by too thick felts on the keys. You need thick felts because there's no real escapement and something needs to stop the hammer and the key with key pushing the hammer all the way. Now, they reduced the felt to make the bottoming out harder. But that would also affect the hammer which will experience more stress than before. Are you sure about the durability of that new action with this changed behavior? smile I'm just asking questions. But I wouldn't pay €89 more than a piano with real and proven acoustic action that feels great. There's the soundboard. I haven't personally found soundboards such a big deal.

I was comparing the hybrids NU1X and NV5. CA99 is a digital piano with the key action different to those above.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
👆🏻I was still replying to this:

Originally Posted by Dodo3009
I can't decide whether I should purchase a kawaii Ca 99 or yamaha NU1X. 😅 As said earlier I also like the hybrid action. But the price on kawaii ca 99 is more bargain. 😩. Ddunno which piano I should go for

Last edited by CyberGene; 06/03/20 02:22 PM.

M
M
OK. I misunderstood it, then

D
D
Kawaii ca 99 got touch screen, but how is the warranty guarantee on those screen? Is like a computer, is it easier to get damage because of the screen?

L
L
Sadly, I found the CA-99 headphone sound to be disappointing. The NU1X is clearly better. Beyerdynamic T5 and Amiron headphones.

My current setup, iMac, Marantz HD-DAC1 and VST (Pianoteq, NI) beats both easily in sound quality.

Maybe someone could answer me a question that’s crucial in my decision on which piano to buy - can the Kawai NV5 be hooked up in this way ? I currently have a Kurzweil Artis which I connect to the Mac through the data port USB.

Yamaha NU1X, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Bösendorfer Imperial, Garritan, Grandeur.
Focal Stellia headphones, Focal Arche headphone amplifier
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission