2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
58 members (Back Room Studio, accordeur, akressevich, 1957, 3B43, c++, 17 invisible), 440 guests, and 414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
sight reading question
#2987283 06/03/20 06:23 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I have a question on sight reading for times when you are not at the piano , Can just reading sheet music books without playing improve your sight reading .

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: sight reading question
Colette2 #2987318 06/03/20 09:07 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Only after you've mastered solfeggio and you are able to play music from sheet in your mind.

Colette2 #2987327 06/03/20 09:29 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There are two separate skills: hearing the music in your head and seeing where your fingers would be going to play it. The hearing part is learned through ear training and solfeggio as noted above, but I don't know that you can learn the playing away from the piano. You can practice in your head once you have already learned the piece (it's very difficult but effective) but that kind of practice is for making the playing more solid rather than improving your sight reading skills.

Qazsedcft #2987422 06/03/20 01:17 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
There are two separate skills: hearing the music in your head and seeing where your fingers would be going to play it. The hearing part is learned through ear training and solfeggio as noted above, but I don't know that you can learn the playing away from the piano. You can practice in your head once you have already learned the piece (it's very difficult but effective) but that kind of practice is for making the playing more solid rather than improving your sight reading skills.
well what are we doing when we sight read ? reading the notes - rhythm - intervals - dynamics I know it doesn't replace being at the piano but I thought it would help when I am on my break at work or just time when you cant be at the piano and just read without playing .

Colette2 #2987440 06/03/20 02:11 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Colette2
well what are we doing when we sight read ? reading the notes - rhythm - intervals - dynamics I know it doesn't replace being at the piano but I thought it would help when I am on my break at work or just time when you cant be at the piano and just read without playing .
For sure, you can even learn whole pieces just by reading through them on your tea break (coffee in US, cocoa in Peru, harder stuff elsewhere). I learnt Twinkle, Twinkle that way wink .

Mikhail Pletnev learnt some two hours of Scarlatti by reading through the volumes while on the flight to the recording studio, and then recorded the music when he arrived:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dI4feEdu_g

....and the resulting 2-CD set won a Gramophone Award. There are other CD recordings he's made, in which he just sight-read the music flawlessly there and then.....

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Colette2 #2987465 06/03/20 03:05 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
It certainly helps. When I used to buy a lot of sheet music (before the invention of the internet) I used to look through the various music books in the music shop and find pieces that I liked the looks of, check them through and then take the books home. If the pieces were at my level (intermediate, and they usually were because I'd checked them over thoroughly) I'd play through without much trouble when I got them home. That's the great thing about good, bricks and mortar music shops - I really miss them where I live, but fortunately I have a good supply of music that I haven't yet played because the books I bought often had plenty of pieces in them and I'd usually bought them for just one or two of them.

regards
Pete
Colette2 #2987509 06/03/20 04:46 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
I have a question on sight reading for times when you are not at the piano , Can just reading sheet music books without playing improve your sight reading .

I try to spend a few minutes daily away from the piano just on rhythm reading/clapping. There are all sorts of things that can trip you up when sight reading for the first time if you are not prepared. Being able to identify various rhythms immediately is a must.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Colette2 #2987514 06/03/20 04:56 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

It certainly helps .... but probably not to improve your sight reading, at least not directly. The difficult in sight reading is actually to play while reading in the same time. It is the association between the notes you read and your hand positions that is difficult. If just recognizing the notes was enough, then it would be much easier. But indeed there are plenty of things you can do with just the score, practice the rythm, sing the melody, understand the structure of the piece, analyze how both hands work together, even memorize some parts, .....

Colette2 #2989285 06/09/20 04:58 AM
E
E

Brings to mind the scene from Whiplash - "What are you, an acapella group? Play the d*mn kit!"

As others have said, reading music is to flow the notes from the sheet all the way to your fingers. I suspect, it's even better if the brain is bypassed

smile

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning Pins Glued....now wait...how long?
by Duaner - 10/21/20 07:32 PM
Selling Kawai ES110
by Cutec - 10/21/20 12:26 PM
Teaching a four-year-old, online!
by Gal Friday - 10/21/20 11:43 AM
Korg NH detail
by Myon - 10/21/20 11:40 AM
Old vs new
by ZootHornRollo - 10/21/20 10:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,340
Posts3,015,860
Members98,974
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission