2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
73 members (Almaviva, Ben Hefel, AmyKaye, Boboulus, 1009Vic, 19 invisible), 524 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Piano learning apps
scirocco #2984955 05/28/20 09:34 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by scirocco
One drawback I found with Playground Sessions is that the app cannot and does not teach dynamics or articulation. This was the main reason I ditched it and got an acoustic and teacher.

To some extent that doesn’t matter too much for the pop and modern music that PS is focussed on. I haven’t used Piano Marvel - how does it deal with teaching dynamics and articulation for its more classical style music?

PM is the same. It doesn’t/can’t teach dynamics and articulations within its platform. That is why I left and found a teacher and a good old method book. I think half of playing piano is playing musically, which includes dynamics and articulations. This is the major drawback of such platforms.

This is not a knock against PM and other similar platforms. I think all modes of learning have pros and cons, including a teacher and old fashioned method books. It really just depends on what your goals are, what you want out of learning piano and what kind of a pianist you want to eventually become. Of course, time and money need to be considered too!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/28/20 09:41 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
WeakLeftHand #2984965 05/28/20 09:58 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
PM is the same. It doesn’t/can’t teach dynamics and articulations within its platform. That is why I left and found a teacher and a good old method book. I think half of playing piano is playing musically, which includes dynamics and articulations. This is the major drawback of such platforms.

This is not a knock against PM and other similar platforms. I think all modes of learning have pros and cons, including a teacher and old fashioned method books. It really just depends on what your goals are, what you want out of learning piano and what kind of a pianist you want to eventually become.

To someone who never had formal lessons of a music instrument it might be surprising just how much more you get out of learning with a teacher. I remember my first lesson with my teacher where I was playing a simple tune from a method book. I was a complete beginner at the time but tried to learn on my own for about a month and came in to my teacher with what I had learned so far. I expected him to comment on technique or some wrong notes I played but to my great surprise his very first comment was that I should try to feel the 3/4 pulse of the music and explained what he meant. That was an eye opener. I was aware of things like counting out loud and using a metronome and my timing was fine, but I had never considered such abstract concepts as feeling the pulse of the music. In retrospective, it's precisely such abstract notions that had the greatest impact to my playing. What does it mean to "play with movement" or "more brightly"? No computer program is able to tell you that (as of 2020... maybe some smart AI in the future will).

Qazsedcft #2984967 05/28/20 10:11 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft

This is not a knock against PM and other similar platforms. I think all modes of learning have pros and cons, including a teacher and old fashioned method books. It really just depends on what your goals are, what you want out of learning piano and what kind of a pianist you want to eventually become.

To someone who never had formal lessons of a music instrument it might be surprising just how much more you get out of learning with a teacher. I remember my first lesson with my teacher where I was playing a simple tune from a method book. I was a complete beginner at the time but tried to learn on my own for about a month and came in to my teacher with what I had learned so far. I expected him to comment on technique or some wrong notes I played but to my great surprise his very first comment was that I should try to feel the 3/4 pulse of the music and explained what he meant. That was an eye opener. I was aware of things like counting out loud and using a metronome and my timing was fine, but I had never considered such abstract concepts as feeling the pulse of the music. In retrospective, it's precisely such abstract notions that had the greatest impact to my playing. What does it mean to "play with movement" or "more brightly"? No computer program is able to tell you that (as of 2020... maybe some smart AI in the future will).

Agreed. That kind of teaching is where a teacher shines. In fact, my teacher said at the very outset that she will not be teaching me how to count the correct rhythm or how to play the right notes. She said she has every confidence in me that I could figure that part out by myself. She said what she will teach me is how to play musically, which I think is where I and many students struggle. Of course, she will point out if I played a wrong rhythm or a wrong note but that doesn't happen very often. The focus of her teaching will be on musicality and technique.

In her attempt to teach me how to play a waltz musically, my teacher had me close my eyes and see in my mind's eyes a scene of people dancing the waltz. As I had learned how to dance the waltz myself, I could feel it very quickly. I applied it to my playing and bam! what an improvement.

But of course, piano learning apps have their purpose and audience. I very much enjoyed PM for a couple of months at the very beginning, so it did form a part of my piano journey.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/28/20 10:12 AM.

Kawai K-500
Bachus #2985205 05/28/20 10:40 PM
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Nothing beats a real piano teacher, but many people just can’t afford it.

Bachus #2985211 05/28/20 10:58 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Bachus

Gotcha! Sorry for the thread drift.

Kawai K-500
WeakLeftHand #2985320 05/29/20 06:27 AM
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bachus

Gotcha! Sorry for the thread drift.

Don’t be sorry, its a fact on which we both agree..

I got the chance to get some feedback from PS development.On a facebook group..

They acknowledge the ipad app is outdated, they expect a totally new app later this summer..

Also support for playing dynamics is high on their todo list..
They however say, their options are limited because many people using cheap keyboards witouth velocity support or pedals....which made me ask him if they wanted to learn people to push the right key in the right moment, or if they wanted to teach people to learn actually playing the piano? He then told me to rest asured that playing dynamics and a system to give visual feedback on them is comming.

So till then, we are looking at other options, piano marvel might cut it... or even a pianote subscription..

Bachus #2987055 06/02/20 02:40 PM
G
G
I started using Playground Sessions almost a month ago. So far, I have been very pleased. Something I didnt see mentioned, is as you progress through "bootcamp", you unlock various courses. There are scales, chords, Hanon exercises, sight reading, both hands practice, etc. I tried the method books, and I did like Faber the best. I do find that PS keeps me on track, and I actually look forward to using it every day. Lots of genres of music in their music library...pop, rock, film/TV/Broadway, classical, etc. I purchased just one month at first, but then decided I would buy the yearly for $99 during their Memorial Day sale.

There is so much out there with apps, YouTube, method books. I had even given thought to Pianote, but I'm glad I chose PS.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin 655 piano buying help 600$
by Ben Hefel - 07/12/20 03:15 PM
Beethoven sonata no.4 op.7
by dolce sfogato - 07/12/20 03:03 PM
WTC 1: Fugue No. 16 in G-minor
by Stephano - 07/12/20 01:46 PM
Casio CDP-S350 / 150 now available in USA
by PianoManChuck - 07/12/20 11:46 AM
Brodmann vs Boston vs Yamaha?
by sdag - 07/12/20 10:12 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,220
Posts2,979,896
Members97,750
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission