2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 10 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 89 of 111 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 110 111
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Thank you, cgeronimo.

I’m still a bit confused about the final transaction. If I’m not mistaken, you were not comfortable sealing the deal over the phone or sending a cash check, but I assume you had to buy from Faust over the phone/online since they’re in NY, right?

Did they finance the full amount, or did you end up sending them some form of a down payment? If so, what made you feel confident (comfortable) sending them a check other than the store being open/closed?

I apologize if I missed something. I’m genuinely curious as are others around here because this is one of the best deals on an N1X.

Thank you.

C
C
I financed the entire thing. 0 down. Didn’t send them a credit card, debit card or anything.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Holy Moly, this is the best deal so far on an N1X!

Thanks again, and congrats on your new hybrid! smile

N
N
But on expensive negotiated merchandise, the price is not fixed prior to sale. The deal creates the price, and the buyer can sweeten the dealer by offering cash.

In my N1X case the dealer has a usual policy of accepting the credit card costs up to $5,000. I negotiated for them to include it up to the purchase price--$9,000 Cdn.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by cgeronimo
I hope this information proves useful. There are plenty of deals to be had my fellow enthusiasts! If you were EVER considering to purchase a piano, now appears to be a pretty good time. I’m not a comfortable negotiator, and all the price cuts and quotes actually came from my silence and the stores appearing desperate for profit and business.
Thanks for your detailed info.

I also walked into a piano store (Prestige Pianos, Melbourne Australia) in early January (pre-lockdown) and was offered USD$6,000 (+ 10% tax) for the N1X.

The CA79 is also currently USD $2,300 (+ 10% tax).

Both without even starting to bargain/negotiate.

Last edited by Burkie; 05/27/20 07:01 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
J
J
A little surprised to see that the N1X is actually listed for 8998 CAD (equivalent to 6530 USD) in Canada, while it costs so much more in the states.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
The original N1 settled on a "low-standard" price of around $6k, so I'm not surprised to see the N1X approach it as well.

Also, with COVID, I'm sure a lot of shops are struggling for customers, and a sale is a sale. So I would suspect that there are some good deals ATM to be had on higher end digitals and acoustic pianos if you have the means to purchase them.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
N
N
Originally Posted by JerryY
A little surprised to see that the N1X is actually listed for 8998 CAD (equivalent to 6530 USD) in Canada, while it costs so much more in the states.

I recently did get one for that price, paying no credit card fees or anything for delivery. But I think that there's a Yamaha Canada sale on now, and that the standard list price is $9,500 Cdn.

R
R
USER LOCATION: U.S.
MAKE: Kawai
MODEL: Novus NV10
CONDITION: New
PRICE PAID: $7500 (incl tax)
DELIVERY CHARGE: Included
VENDOR LOCATION: San Antonio, TX
VENDOR NAME: Alamo Music
PURCHASE DATE: April 2020

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by RudolfRSK

Congrats on the NV-10 Rudolf! Also, you may very well have the lowest price we've seen on a new NV-10, that's amazing. I assume a bit of COVID pressure on sellers in an already-strong buyers' market.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by RudolfRSK
USER LOCATION: U.S.
VENDOR LOCATION: San Antonio, TX
PURCHASE DATE: April 2020
Wow! That's an amazing price.. I can't believe it! Did you have any trade-ins? Congratulations RudolfRSK - enjoy your NV10! Thanks.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
R
R
Thank you both for the well-wishes! I am grateful - and yes, the NV10 is a marvelous thing. I'm still a bit in shock that I have a digital/hybrid piano this nice, to be honest. I don't think I expected that I would.

No, nothing mitigating like a trade-in (i.e.: no promise of future business, no trade-in, no bundle, and no quid pro quo, explicit or implicit); it was $7500 on card after all was said and done.

To be sure, the price came in the midst of some extremely odd circumstances (i.e.: COVID-19 plus some unusual circumstances specific to this case - I won't post those circumstances publicly, but you're free to PM me if you're curious), and I expect replicating this price will be challenging. Even so, the fact that this number exists and is out there is still useful to help buyers be more confident in their prices.

C
C
USER LOCATION: Bogotá, Colombia
MAKE: Medeli
MODEL: DP10
CONDITION: Used
PRICE PAID: 850.000 COP
DELIVERY CHARGE: picked at seller
VENDOR LOCATION: Facebook
PURCHASE DATE: May 2020

Last edited by Camicov; 05/31/20 07:18 AM.
J
J
Hey everyone!

I am new here and I am fascinated by CGeronimo's story and my desire to purchase an N1X has be reawoken. I gave up getting a digital piano (that was as close as can be to an acoustic) a few months ago when I tried to negotiate a fairer price for the N1X but my local dealer would not budge from $9000. I have a strong passion for the piano and have played since I was young. If you can help answer these questions, you may help me (and I am sure others!) buy the N1X that I have longed for so long.

Many Thanks! - Jerry

1. Cgeronimo said he called various local stores in CA. Does anyone know the name of the store that could have possibly gave him the lowest quote?
The reason is because I would like to use that quote from them and bargain with Faust Harrison Pianos.
2. Best way to contact/negotiate with Faust Harrison? Through email or through a call?
3. What should I say to negotiate to get a good price? Should I off-the-bat mention a few quotes I have?
4. Does Faust Harrison ask proof for the quote you mention to them? If so, how do they ask for proof, in other words, how would I prove it?
5. Faust Harrison Pianos has a few stores In the East Coast. May I know which one CGeronimo contacted? Or at least which Faust Harrison is more easy to negotiate with? Long Island, NY? NYC, NY? CT?

Last edited by JVLeon; 06/02/20 11:27 AM.

Poor pianist with rich emotion.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by JVLeon
1. Cgeronimo said he called various local stores in CA. Does anyone know the name of the store that could have possibly gave him the lowest quote?
The reason is because I would like to use that quote from them and bargain with Faust Harrison Pianos.
2. Best way to contact/negotiate with Faust Harrison? Through email or through a call?
3. What should I say to negotiate to get a good price? Should I off-the-bat mention a few quotes I have?
4. Does Faust Harrison ask proof for the quote you mention to them? If so, how do they ask for proof, in other words, how would I prove it?
5. Faust Harrison Pianos has a few stores In the East Coast. May I know which one CGeronimo contacted? Or at least which Faust Harrison is more easy to negotiate with? Long Island, NY? NYC, NY? CT?

My advice here is not to overthink it. Price negotiations are not a secret language, there aren't (m)any magic words or phrases, you just have think about it as two rational actors dealing with each other to end up where they respectively want to land.

Calling may be a bit better than email, since it implies a more serious buyer. Don't hide the fact that you're from out of town and are looking for shipping/delivery. Negotiate on an "out the door" price so that you don't get hit with fees such as delivery/tax/handling/convenience/cleaning/prep etc., and also so you get a full apples to apples comparison between different shops you talk to.

A shop *might* ask you for proof of competing offer, but what good does it do them? It's not like they submit it to Yamaha to get a rebate. In the end, whether they have proof changes nothing because they can either match the offer you claim you got, or they can't, it doesn't matter whether you have it on paper.

And worst case, if you have a horrible negotiation session, just say goodbye, and call another shop, or call another day and try again. It's not like you get your photo and phone number put up on a blacklist on the shop wall smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
K
K
I will add something I learned by reading posts on the forum -- don't ask them what their "price" is. There is no "price," as TripleMac says. There is only what is agreed upon.

I would contact them and say that you are looking for the N1X for an out-the-door prince of $such-and-such. Start a little lower than your target price -- for example, maybe 6700. That will give a bit of room for you to come up.

As when dealing with any professional salesperson, they may seek to play on your emotions (or fear of looking "dumb") by suggesting that they'd lose their shirt/job for that price. They may come back with, for example, 8k. Only go up $100 or $200. So you have to try and take your emotion out of it -- this is a business negotiation, pure and simple.

Gombessa is right -- if it doesn't go the way you want, politely end the call and try somewhere else. Or the same place another day. There is no trouble with you - you're just trying to give them your hard-earned cash! smile

If you are nervous about the transaction over voice (as I am - an introvert!) - see if a friend will role-play with you. There's no shame in practicing a conversation. In some management/leadership classes, they teach to do this with any conversation you're not comfortable with. Plus... as pianists, we spend 90% of our time practicing and 10% playing for people, something like that?? Haha

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good advice from both Gombessa and kimby.

Gombessa has it right when he says:
1. There's no secret language to negotiation.
2. Negotiate the "out the door" total price.
Actually he's right on every point he made ... but those two stand out.

Kimby is right about not asking for the dealer's price. Why let the dealer make his offer? Instead, make your own offer.

I'd would add one important point: Time works to your advantage. He who has plenty of time will come out ahead. So don't rush.

M
M
Originally Posted by JVLeon

When I was looking for an N1X, I tried emailing Faust Harrison and they didn't respond. Judging from from what I've read here, phoning them is the way to go.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
J
J
Thank you to everyone that replied (and thank you to those who comment after), much appreciated. I will take everything mentioned and contact them by the end of the week. I will update Piano World with what happens smile

Poor pianist with rich emotion.
P
P
USER LOCATION: South Carolina (USA)
MODEL: CA58RO
PRICE PAID: $2500 (incl tax)
VENDOR LOCATION: San Antonio, TX (online)
PURCHASE DATE: 05-June-2020

My local dealer was out of stock on CA48/58, said 2 months until new models arrive. Stock of CA58 appears low in US, I got the last Rosewood version at Alamo. I asked for this price and was accepted after they checked their computer. They only ship 1 day per week (Thursday) because 'they are shipping so much stuff' and messing up the carrier with all the pickups.

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
Page 89 of 111 1 2 87 88 89 90 91 110 111

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission