2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
48 members (apianostudent, Alex Hutor, chopinetto, dhull100, anotherscott, DreamPiano80, Dago987, Dore, 10 invisible), 482 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 85 of 86 1 2 83 84 85 86
Re: Faber Graduates
BrianDX #2986592 06/01/20 11:31 AM
P
P
Welcome Collette2! It’s good to have you here. It looks like you are getting lots of information to dig into. Everyone has been a wonderful source of information for me.

Just a quick update, I’m back at the piano, they postponed Bill’s operation to July because of the backlog from the Covid, but the prognosis is good!!! I’m working on the Lion Sleeps tonight. I really like this one! I just pray I can give it justice. I’m going to take my time with this one, and keep it in my favorites. Thank you so much for all your good wishes, they really helped!!!

Fran...

Casio Privia 160, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
pagirl #2986959 06/02/20 09:33 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by pagirl
Welcome Collette2! It’s good to have you here. It looks like you are getting lots of information to dig into. Everyone has been a wonderful source of information for me.

Just a quick update, I’m back at the piano, they postponed Bill’s operation to July because of the backlog from the Covid, but the prognosis is good!!! I’m working on the Lion Sleeps tonight. I really like this one! I just pray I can give it justice. I’m going to take my time with this one, and keep it in my favorites. Thank you so much for all your good wishes, they really helped!!!

Fran...

Thanks for the update and good news on prognosis! I have enjoyed the Faber books and learning new pieces and adding them to the "favorites" list. Over time I drop old favorites and add new ones but usually keep a rolling list of about 5 favorites I play most days. Playing these slows me down as it eats into practice time but I'm in this for the fun, so I enjoy the part of “practice time” where I mess around with all the bells and whistles of my EP playing my favorites. If I’m ever in a situation where someone asks me to play something (unlikely) I can hammer out Snowflake Rag.

Welcome @Colette2.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 06/02/20 09:33 AM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Faber Piano Adventures Book 3b. Yamaha P-115 for two years (good starter piano) and now a Kawai MP11SE (Fantastic piano!).
[Linked Image]
pagirl #2986982 06/02/20 11:04 AM
Happy to hear good news from you, Fran! Hope things will get even better by July. I've read some success stories from Forks over Knives on how plant-based food helps to improve health. Hope this helps.

Chili Time, EP can be super fun! From the AFB survey, I saw 38% of the people here have both EP and acoustic piano thumb I'm looking forward to your creative music making!

I was off track for the last few days playing with MuseScore software. A friend of mine wrote a song and I was trying to add bass line with the help from another friend so I can play it on piano. I was not very successful due to lack of knowledge on chords, but it was a fun experience with MuseScore whome

So I'll be back on track with Faber after the unsuccessful trial of music making grin

Song of Kilimanjaro, Unit 7 (The D Major Scale) of Faber 3A, with performance and Christmas books
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2
My Recordings
Chili_Time #2987371 06/03/20 11:09 AM
P
P
Chili_Time, I just saw this, they are done so well!!! I loved Novela, the music has so much expression! I want to play like that!!! The Wedding March is perfect, sounds professional, the timing is perfect, and the Minuet really reminds you of the dancers of an earlier time...where do you go from here???

Fran...

Casio Privia 160, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11
BrianDX #2987698 06/04/20 06:49 AM
C
C
I have been making good progress on piano Adventures 2B just finished page 33 Boom Boom , Just wondering how long on average should it take to learn these song, I am getting it about 90% in about 5 minutes not sure if this is good but I try not to memories but always looking at the notes on the sheet even if I do remember ,

BrianDX #2987930 06/04/20 04:42 PM
P
P
Wish4Thing - Thank you, Am checking out the Forks over knives, but he has been on a pretty strict diet, of basically...as little cholesterol as he can tolerate...for quite awhile now. But I’m looking at anything that might help!

I’m impressed with your work with composition! Muse score is way above me, but I see a lot of piano music being created with chords, on Pianote. Especially, during the weekly evaluations. I believe you would be really good at that!!! I think you should follow your instinct and give it a solid try!

Colette - I am really not a good one to measure just how long it should take to finish a song, as I am just working that out myself. I think that is different for everyone, but Cognita mentions that in a little earlier post, and so do Wish, and Chili_Time. I do memorize at least the left hand part, because I have to repeat it so many times to make perfect. I still use the sheet music to keep myself on track.

pagirl #2988124 06/05/20 10:01 AM
Fran, thanks for always being so encouraging! Best wishes to you and your husband! Food rich with soluble fiber might help too. Adding some exercise might also help to elevate good cholesterol which can take the bad cholesterol out of system.

Colette2, sounds like you are making great progress to me!

My progress with 3A is slowing down as I approach the last 1/3 of the lessons, but still planning to finish 3A by end of the year. Fly's Adventure is another crazily fast piece that is very challenging to me.

Song of Kilimanjaro, Unit 7 (The D Major Scale) of Faber 3A, with performance and Christmas books
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2
My Recordings
Wish4 Thing #2988131 06/05/20 10:51 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by Wish4 Thing
Fran, thanks for always being so encouraging! Best wishes to you and your husband! Food rich with soluble fiber might help too. Adding some exercise might also help to elevate good cholesterol which can take the bad cholesterol out of system.

Colette2, sounds like you are making great progress to me!

My progress with 3A is slowing down as I approach the last 1/3 of the lessons, but still planning to finish 3A by end of the year. Fly's Adventure is another crazily fast piece that is very challenging to me.
I thought I was going fast myself but I think its because I started play Rhythm guitar at a young age and I then started to learn solo lead guitar, so I already new my scale and music theory , I have also played a little bit of piano to but mainly just shapes - chords , I think this has help my progress now I really am enjoying the piano Adventures books, I am trying to slow down because I enjoy reading music its something new that I couldn't do before .

BrianDX #2988659 06/07/20 08:15 AM
C
C
@Colette2 90% learning a piece in five minutes is very very good in my opinion. I learned the first song in 3b Performance yesterday and it took about 1 hour to get it to where I could very slowly play it in rhythm. The time it takes me to learn is usually a function of how difficult the left hand is. I don't set out to memorize songs but after playing them over and over some of them are committed to memory. As far as getting songs up to a fast tempo with dynamics and pedals that can take me from one week to multiple weeks. It just depends on how hard it is for me to put it all together. If I like a song I tend to play it more often, so those I get to tempo a bit faster.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Faber Piano Adventures Book 3b. Yamaha P-115 for two years (good starter piano) and now a Kawai MP11SE (Fantastic piano!).
[Linked Image]
BrianDX #2988895 06/07/20 10:28 PM
V
V
Hello! smile I'd posted here a few years ago when I first started lessons in 2017. I'm only now at the tail end of the Adult PA All-in-One Book 2. For a variety of reasons, including not practicing enough and having to switch to biweekly 30-min. lessons when I returned to school full-time at the start of 2019 due to the cost ($$), I went from moving at a good clip through Book 1 to crawling at a snail's pace through Book 2. I'm hoping maybe having other people to talk to and share with will help with my motivation. One of my issues is that I don't care for many of the songs in the book. So whereas I've been ignoring Fiesta Espana for the last 3.5 weeks, I blasted my way through a much more difficult 9 page, but easy, version of Masquerade from Phantom. Not that Masquerade is clean or 100% done, but it's a good sight better than any of the book songs I'm supposed to be working on. Oops.

Faber Piano Adventures AIO Book 2
Roland FP-30
vintagevt #2989136 06/08/20 04:50 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by vintagevt
Hello! smile I'd posted here a few years ago when I first started lessons in 2017. I'm only now at the tail end of the Adult PA All-in-One Book 2. For a variety of reasons, including not practicing enough and having to switch to biweekly 30-min. lessons when I returned to school full-time at the start of 2019 due to the cost ($$), I went from moving at a good clip through Book 1 to crawling at a snail's pace through Book 2. I'm hoping maybe having other people to talk to and share with will help with my motivation. One of my issues is that I don't care for many of the songs in the book. So whereas I've been ignoring Fiesta Espana for the last 3.5 weeks, I blasted my way through a much more difficult 9 page, but easy, version of Masquerade from Phantom. Not that Masquerade is clean or 100% done, but it's a good sight better than any of the book songs I'm supposed to be working on. Oops.

I think it is great that you learned Masquerade from Phantom. IMHO it is important to enjoy time at the piano. Unless you are on a course to play professionally or trying to get into a conservatory you may as well play some songs you enjoy in addition to Faber pieces. I tend to like most of the Faber arrangements, but I still spend some time daily playing songs I like and messing with the digital piano settings just for fun. I know Faber is developing new skills with each level and I do like method books for learning piano, but I like to have some fun too. Most of us are here as hobby players so keeping it fun is important.

[Linked Image]
vintagevt #2989178 06/08/20 07:18 PM
C
C
I think whatever level your up to now just remember what are your goals! and why you start playing the piano in the first place, I don't like every song in the books but I know that I am learning new things by learning every song and some day I will be able to play the music I want to play, today I spent the day going thought my major and minor scales and guess what , I hate scales , but anything that helps me improve and makes me a better piano player I will do or try my best to , another thing I have learnt is don't hide from the things you find hard to do! because for me i find counting beats while playing really difficult, I spent along time telling myself I don't need to count beats, and maybe that's true if you know the song really well , but the point is I made an effort to now practice more on these areas in my playing. But chili is right fun time on the piano too because that is what its really about, we play music because it makes us Feel happy or that's why I do .

BrianDX #2989441 06/09/20 02:10 PM
V
V
Colette, I too struggle with counting. I danced previously and so until midway through book 2 I've largely been able to get by without counting, as I guess I must have developed some sense of rhythm from dancing. Now I'm trying to go back and remedy that mistake and learn how to count, but I think it would have been easier if I'd just learned to count from the start. Where it starts to fall apart for me often is in eighth notes, and now I'm getting into sixteenth notes and what a mess I am. lol

I see lots of mentions of scales, and my husband has commented on it too, my teachers have never had me do scales, at least not with any consistency. Only if it was brought up in the book as an exercise. Neither my first teacher, nor my second one, but I wonder if I'm really missing out by not doing any regularly. That or other regular exercises too. Not that I'd have any idea on how to start doing them. I guess I could ask at my next lesson. Or google.

I have started, just in the last week, going back and using my book 1 as a refresher of basics and as a warm-up. Music theory-wise I feel like a lot has been bypassed/glossed over in my lessons and while I'm approaching the end of book 2, I'm not really sure that's an accurate reflection of where I am skill-wise. I think that is reflected in how long it takes me to learn a song in the book and get it cleaned up. And even cleaned up, I can rarely get through a song without a mistake somewhere.

Last edited by vintagevt; 06/09/20 02:14 PM.

Roland FP-30
BrianDX #2989581 06/10/20 02:56 AM
C
C
hi vintagevt welcome back to this forum. Colette2 welcome to the forum also.

RE learning pieces in the books that you don't like.

I agree with chili_time that depending on your reasons for playing you should play pieces that you enjoy. That said I do believe that it is important to also play pieces that challenge you otherwise its more difficult to improve. So its about finding the balance between playing for fun and learning new pieces that provide challenges that will improve your playing in the long run. maybe split part of your practice time or have some time practicing and other times playing for fun.

I have found in the past that it is very easy to skip key elements of your learning by just learning pieces that you like to play and because of this felt I reached a point in the past where I felt I was not progressing. Having discovered the Faber Adult Piano Adventures Books (through this forum discussions) I have found that the books teach you how to play piano in a very methodical way.

I thought I would wiz though much of Book 1 as I had some theory knowledge but what I found was that it has taken me a lot longer than I thought, as there was much more for me to learn than I thought there would be. In particular the technique and artistry aspects of playing.

I believe that spending the time going through each unit in book 1 and spending time getting familiar with the all aspects of what is being taught is making me into a better player. I also believe that spending time to get the pieces in each unit correct and up to tempo is helping to consolidate all the learning to date.

I find it is very temping to move on quickly thinking right I understand what the unit is teaching me, but understanding it and being able to play it well is very different. Being able to play each piece well is important as it is consolidating the learning on the techniques and artistry aspects of the piece and it is this that I believe is making me a better player .

re counting
I too struggle with this. By using a metronome I get to a point where i can feel the rhythm and get it right but not through counting. I take onboard your point about learning to count on the easier pieces. before the rhythms become more complex. This is something I will now start to add into my practice

Using Faber Adult Piano Adventures AIO Book 1
Currently working on Unit 16
Also working with Faber Technique and Artistry book 2
Playing on a Rolands HP 505 Digital Piano
BrianDX #2989721 06/10/20 01:07 PM
P
P
Welcome vintagevt! You are discussing the very things that I am dealing with right now! I have been learning piano for about a year now, but have yet to take a piece up to tempo, and really work on finishing it. Always before, I concentrated on the specific thing the lesson was introducing, and when I had that down, I moved on. Now is the day of reckoning for me! If I really want to learn how to play, I need to finish all my lessons, or pay the price later! Included are the lessons on technique, scales, and chords! So, I’m structuring my lessons by topic, and alloting at least ten to fifteen minutes to each, breaking my practice up in two practices a day. I usually save the songs for my afternoon practice, as they are the most fun, and I can take as much time as I want to work on them. This forum has been so helpful in showing me what’s important, and has given me the support and encouragement I needed to keep moving ahead. Thank you!!!

Fran...

BrianDX #2991114 06/13/20 03:59 PM
V
V
Hi pagirl! It's interesting you mention getting a piece to tempo or really finishing it. One thing I struggle with is my piano teacher is far more apt than me to call a song good and move on when I still don't feel like it's clean enough. She also tends to skip around/ahead in the book and doesn't necessarily follow the book to a tee. I'm assuming there is a method to her madness, so I just try to trust it; like surely she's looking for me to work on certain skills and is less focused on the pieces themselves? I dunno.

Roland FP-30
vintagevt #2991443 06/14/20 04:45 PM
P
P
Hi pagirl! It's interesting you mention getting a piece to tempo or really finishing it. One thing I struggle with is my piano teacher is far more apt than me to call a song good and move on when I still don't feel like it's clean enough. She also tends to skip around/ahead in the book and doesn't necessarily follow the book to a tee. I'm assuming there is a method to her madness, so I just try to trust it; like surely she's looking for me to work on certain skills and is less focused on the pieces themselves? I dunno.

Hmmm...I think that’s important enough that I would ask her about it. I had to stop my private lessons, before that subject came up. She would have me focus on the lesson subject, but would have me move on before I was anywhere near finished, but at that point I was trying to go too fast to get the notes properly, and I think she was more concerned about that. She helped me in so many ways, I’m sure she was thinking about what was best for me at the time. Now I have to make those kind of decisions on my own, and it’s difficult!!! I can play my current song at a medium slow pace without error, and am trying to speed up gradually. I have good days, but today my fingers insisted on hitting all the wrong keys, so I just stopped before I created too many wrong pathways to my brain!!!

Fran...

pagirl #2991453 06/14/20 05:00 PM
V
V
Originally Posted by pagirl
Hmmm...I think that’s important enough that I would ask her about it. I had to stop my private lessons, before that subject came up. She would have me focus on the lesson subject, but would have me move on before I was anywhere near finished, but at that point I was trying to go too fast to get the notes properly, and I think she was more concerned about that. She helped me in so many ways, I’m sure she was thinking about what was best for me at the time. Now I have to make those kind of decisions on my own, and it’s difficult!!! I can play my current song at a medium slow pace without error, and am trying to speed up gradually. I have good days, but today my fingers insisted on hitting all the wrong keys, so I just stopped before I created too many wrong pathways to my brain!!!

Fran...

I'm not sure I feel there is much point in asking about it now, since I'm within a handful of songs of finishing book 2. Not sure what is next for me as this is the last AIO book. I got the impression a bit ago that we're not continuing on with another Faber book after this, which I think would be 3B or 4 if we did. I DO need to ask about that soon.

I get you on having a bad day. I've been playing Masquerade much better than Fiesta Espana for weeks now, mostly b/c I practice it more b/c I enjoy it more. But today I sat down and for whatever reason, maybe working on my one octave arpeggios, Fiesta Espana was just clicking for me and was sounding the best it has yet. And then Masquerade was just... nothing was going right today; not even the parts I can normally play pretty well. The brain is weird. lol

Roland FP-30
BrianDX #2994295 06/23/20 09:45 AM
D
D
Does anyone feel the piano adventure Technique & artistry and Lessons books together have very little extra to add , other than more things to play of course ,

BrianDX #2995960 06/27/20 04:33 PM
P
P
Oh, I hope all of you are still here...it took me forever to get this up to speed. Had to be out of town for a bit, so didn’t get a lot of time on it. I learned a lot about brining a song up to speed, talk about clumsy fingers, and stage fright!!! 🥴
Here it is...The Lion Sleeps Tonight...

https://app.box.com/s/b3hssjasygzc9iraknmvrp4m2w2m7oqo

Page 85 of 86 1 2 83 84 85 86

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Unknown Wagner Concert Grand?
by Klavimaniac - 07/07/20 08:41 PM
Unknown Wagner Concert Grand?
by Klavimaniac - 07/07/20 08:40 PM
Lighting a piano for video (kind of OT I know...)
by Chrispy - 07/07/20 07:47 PM
Yamaha C2X vs Boston 178 PEII vs Kawai GX3
by lovelydove - 07/07/20 07:15 PM
Me playing N2 - The Way you Look Tonight.
by 36251 - 07/07/20 06:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,102
Posts2,978,073
Members97,696
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission