2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
63 members (achoo42, blueviewlaguna., anotherscott, Boboulus, 36251, chopinetto, 15 invisible), 485 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Adult vs Kid Beginner Music Students
#2986133 05/31/20 11:47 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
The skit in this video is about violin beginners but I think it applies to piano beginners as well. Does the adult remind you of yourself? Sure reminds me of myself! grin

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/31/20 11:48 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Adult vs Kid Beginner Music Students
WeakLeftHand #2986152 05/31/20 12:26 PM
P
P
I'd say both the adult and kid remind me of myself! The earnest - and sometimes over enthusiastic - adult and the oh-so reluctant child beginner.

psyche23 #2986154 05/31/20 12:30 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by psyche23
I'd say both the adult and kid remind me of myself! The earnest - and sometimes over enthusiastic - adult and the oh-so reluctant child beginner.

thumb

Kawai K-500
WeakLeftHand #2986165 05/31/20 12:57 PM
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Funny! Now I'm the reluctant adult at times frown

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
WeakLeftHand #2986169 05/31/20 01:11 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
There is a lot of stereotypes in the video. Kids in general don't pick the instruments they want to play or want to take music lessons at a young age. And they tend to avoid music practice.

There are kids who are born musicians. From a young age they would pick the instruments they want to play and are committed to practicing hours a week. Someone like Yo-Yo Ma got started on a violin by his parents. He wanted to play cello and made a career out of it. There are people like Alma Deutscher who is a teenager on the outside but a music prodigy at a young age playing piano & violin and composing on the side. People who are not born with the gift of music acquire the skill of playing an instrument by hard work and a lot of resistance as a child. Those who are musically inclined at a young age don't relate to their peers. They would be practicing for recitals while their friends would be struggling with music lessons.

When it comes to music practice, do adult learners practice more? I'm in adult group class. I find that a lot of older adults including myself play piano as a hobby. We have as many reasons to skip practice like kids. Some of us have the discipline to practice at least an hour a day. Others would be busy with dinner engagements, visits from children & grandchildren. Some take a relaxed attitude to learning a song like if they don't learn it today, they'll do it tomorrow. A week later they're still working on the same song.

thepianoplayer416 #2986343 05/31/20 08:00 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Some take a relaxed attitude to learning a song like if they don't learn it today, they'll do it tomorrow. A week later they're still working on the same song.

What am I doing wrong? I practice the song I don't like every day and it still takes me over a month! cry laugh

WeakLeftHand #2986403 06/01/20 12:32 AM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Two Set Violin - never heard of them ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
earlofmar #2986570 06/01/20 10:36 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Two Set Violin - never heard of them ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

!

Learner
offkey #2986599 06/01/20 11:53 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by offkey
What am I doing wrong? I practice the song I don't like every day and it still takes me over a month! cry laugh
More than half the time the issues have to do with practicing effectively. Taking a month to perfect a piece is not unreasonable if you're working on a difficult one for a recital. If you have a teacher and is working on an easy piece, your teacher would let you work on it for 2 weeks at most. There are different things you can be working on such as learning the notes, fingerings, dynamics, phrasing, counting, etc. A beginner piece you may be learning just the notes and the fingerings.

A lot of pieces a student would play are already posted online so learning the notes is much easier by listening to other people's recordings.

thepianoplayer416 #2986604 06/01/20 12:06 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by offkey
More than half the time the issues have to do with practicing effectively. Taking a month to perfect a piece is not unreasonable if you're working on a difficult one for a recital. If you have a teacher and is working on an easy piece, your teacher would let you work on it for 2 weeks at most. There are different things you can be working on such as learning the notes, fingerings, dynamics, phrasing, counting, etc. A beginner piece you may be learning just the notes and the fingerings.

A lot of pieces a student would play are already posted online so learning the notes is much easier by listening to other people's recordings.

Do you really want to learn the notes and rhythm by listening to someone else!s recording? First, it may not be correct but more importantly, donโ€™t you want to develop the skill of being able to learn music without hearing it played first: in other words, just by reading the score?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
WeakLeftHand #2986606 06/01/20 12:11 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Another interesting comparison I think might be difference between adult beginners and adult returners. I also feel that the experience of adult returners varies by how they got as a child and how long the break was.

I just know from my own experience some things returned quickly while other parts of my technique feel like I'm having to learn all over again. This seems to confuse my teachers, I can do some things but others not at all, how can this be is my interpretation of their dumbfounded expression when I just can't do something they expect of me.

It would be interesting get the experience of others and where their difficulties have been.

Last edited by KevinM; 06/01/20 12:12 PM.
WeakLeftHand #2986619 06/01/20 12:51 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Kevin
I had a 40 year break before I came back to Piano and I have exactly the same experience as you. There were some things that came back easily, some slower and some โ€˜I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve heard that before nowโ€™ ๐Ÿ™€

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

WeakLeftHand #2986663 06/01/20 02:40 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
The post I was replying to disappeared so I've deleted my post until I find out where that post went to!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 06/01/20 02:43 PM.

Kawai K-500
WeakLeftHand #2986664 06/01/20 02:42 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dogperson
Do you really want to learn the notes and rhythm by listening to someone else's recording? First, it may not be correct but more importantly, donโ€™t you want to develop the skill of being able to learn music without hearing it played first: in other words, just by reading the score?

Definitely agree the need to develop good sight-reading skills, especially those who get into Classical music. However, learning a piece without hearing it first isn't always the reason why you'd play it. You'd find a piano version because you like listening to a Pop song "Piano Man" by Billy Joel or "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Freddie Mercury. You may not know a piece from top to bottom but you would have listened to it a few times to know roughly what it sounds like.

I got the piano version of the Abba song "Mama Mia!" long after it was released. I've already seen the musical and saw the Australian movies "Muriel's Wedding" & "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" with the song in it. Learning to sight-read we'd be playing unfamiliar pieces every week and "Mama Mia!" wouldn't be 1 of them. I still enjoy playing the piece.

Learning music by listening to other performances is 1 of the fundamentals of the Suzuki music program. In the back of every Book is a CD. Students are taught to imitate the songs in Book 1 by listening before learning to read a note starting from the "Twinkle Variations". Besides student performances, there are many online demos from Suzuki teachers. Like you go on vacation to a foreign country you hear from other people the places that are worth visiting and places to avoid so you're not wasting time exploring on your own.

A piece like the "Minuet in G" Anh 114 from the "Notebook for Anna M Bach" is so common that it is impossible to learn it from scratch without hearing it first. Once a friend of the family came to our home and her 2 kids who were in Suzuki played the M in G as a piano-violin duet (with a portable keyboard) before I got into playing piano.

WeakLeftHand #2986671 06/01/20 02:57 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, for classical or pop, you may hear it and decide you want to play it... but the reverse also happens where you see the musical score (even just a piano accompaniment) before you hear it. You want to be able to work it out based only on the score.

The point Iโ€™m trying to make is not to always go running off to hear it a few times before you decide to play it. You donโ€™t want to become reliant on having to hear it first. Think of a dotted quarter note: you need to learn how long to hold the note by learning to count. You donโ€™t want go be dependent on hearing it played first to know the length the note is played.

But then I learned how to play before the internet so most of what I learned was only from reading the score.

WeakLeftHand #2987815 06/04/20 12:11 PM
O
O
Interesting discussion, I try to play through the score a few times to work on my sight reading abilities. But after some time I will look up others' performances. I learn so much from hearing others then trying to pick out the differences in the performances, why the artist played it the way they did, finding my mistakes, and imitating the best of what I find. I would never learn how to properly interpret a score on my own, and I see my teacher only twice a month so the feedback cycle would be very slow.

Of course I am still in my first year of lessons and somebody playing for 10+ years likely has a different perspective.

WeakLeftHand #2987905 06/04/20 03:54 PM
A
A
The ''adult''certaintly made me laugh, I also purchase a lot of books that are way beyond me and also a Soundbrenner, soundbar to attach to my silent piano and a normal metronome.

thepianoplayer416 #2987938 06/04/20 05:07 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There is a lot of stereotypes in the video...

It's a joke, not a documentary.

Learner
WeakLeftHand #2987947 06/04/20 05:35 PM
A
A
Having had violin lessons as a child (and after complaining too much, piano lessons), I feel like this video summarizes my life with musical instruments!

WeakLeftHand #2987989 06/04/20 07:52 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
A lot of younger folks (not all) lack a sense of direction. It's like driving a car out of the city but have no plan where to go or what to see. Not everybody at age 10 would know enough about the different instruments and the styles of music to know what to get into. Back in my school days someone in the family got into playing violin so the rest of us got the same teacher for violin by default. There was no road map like by the 2nd year, we should be playing "Minuet in G", 3rd year the Bach Double and so on. And then there are parents who have no music training and know very little about the music or the instruments they got their kids into. All they do is push and hope for results. Music lessons tend to be treated as part of the academic curriculum. Those who perform well would pass conservatory exams.

Adult learners have more exposure to music and have some ideas what they want to do. Many play as a hobby and have no intention of passing music exams except learn a few songs. Adults who took lessons in the past would continue learning advanced pieces.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Teacher Search
by CajunJ - 07/06/20 07:05 PM
N1X vs CA79
by pianissimo_ - 07/06/20 07:03 PM
Chickering Baldwin Samick - ID & Value?
by Stephen L. - 07/06/20 06:35 PM
Yamaha Csp-170 anyone own this
by Radioome - 07/06/20 05:49 PM
July Piano Bar 2020
by Tim Adrianson - 07/06/20 04:35 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,078
Posts2,977,612
Members97,686
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission