2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2986340 05/31/20 07:49 PM
D
dham340 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi. Was looking for opinion. Due to moving, relative is downsizing their home and have offered, for free, a 1960-65 Wurlitzer spinet. As a piece of furniture, it is very nice. Really looks like it is well cared for. As a piano, I am unsure. It is definitely out of tune and has at least 1 sticky key (C3). Short time playing determined many keys way out of tune and very light action. Soundboard looks ok, but I think it is laminated (I think) and on bottom there is a small 4-5 in ridge (not a crack) where I think the lamination has begun to separate. So, posting here for some opinions:

Is it tunable? Is it worth it? I would hate to lug this thing or have it moved 2 hours just for it to become an unplayable paperweight in my house. If repairs are needed is it worth it? I realize that someone is going to say have a qualified piano tech look at it, but is that cost even worth it?

We have beginning piano student at home who uses a Roland f-140r right now. No real urgent need for an acoustic piano except for sentimental if this could be brought to some level of respectable sounding piano.

I will try and share some pictures of the piano I took. Thanks for any assistance/opinions

[img]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Cd3tnosZwbyVxsxXAhADL4VA#Warrington[/img]

[img]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0_RsgyfFjHbtaEjOQbxdmM5jA#Warrington[/img]

[img]https://share.icloud.com/photos/01IEhcrQvX8gLyIDoL1zhPWkw#Warrington[/img]

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Well, it is not the worst piano that Wurlitzer made. I am not certain whether it has a drop action or not. If not, it is a small console, and might serve as a beginning piano, but even spinets get played.

Semipro Tech
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
There are some things that cannot be done on the internet and this is one. The only valid source of actionable information for you is to have a knowledgeable and competent technician put hands and eyeballs on your particular instrument. Certainly, you wouldn't even think of asking an auto mechanics forum whether a particular 1963 Ford Fairlane was worth getting or not.

Your photos are no more useful than sending photos of the exterior of a car and the engine compartment to an auto mechanic.

As a general observation, Wurlitzer was in the more promotional price levels. Not great instruments but functional. This could be a workable instrument for you although no concert grand by any means.

The issues you describe could describe something that is fatally expensive or merely incidental. Again, only a real person on site can tell. If you don't want to pay for valid information, then you will make your decision in an informational vacuum.

One source of generally reliable and competent technicians is found at www.ptg.org -- the Piano Technicians Guild website.

You can expect a few hundred dollars of "accumulated routine maintenance" catch-up to get the instrument functional.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Can you be more specific when you say "many keys way out of tune"? Does one note sound like 3 notes? That could be a sign of loose tuning pins. Do octaves not sound like octaves? How sentimentally attached are you to the piano? If not too emotionally attached, you'll be able to find another piano. There are loads of them out there.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
B
B
Hi,
the best way to know if a piano is tuneable is to tune it.
A key that sounds WAY out of tune by itself usually indicates that the tuning pin doesn't hold tension anymore.
I'd say some of the answers to your questions depend on how much money and time you are willing to invest in this.
Be aware that these short piano will just never have the bass notes sound anywhere similar to a tall upright.
This being said, if I want to play for my pleasure, I'll take a well tuned spinet over any digital piano without hesitating. This is very personal, others would say the opposite.
Hopefully someone who has an opinion on this particular model will chime in.
Good luck!

Musician / tuner
D
dham340 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by kpembrook
There are some things that cannot be done on the internet and this is one. The only valid source of actionable information for you is to have a knowledgeable and competent technician put hands and eyeballs on your particular instrument. Certainly, you wouldn't even think of asking an auto mechanics forum whether a particular 1963 Ford Fairlane was worth getting or not.

Your photos are no more useful than sending photos of the exterior of a car and the engine compartment to an auto mechanic.

As a general observation, Wurlitzer was in the more promotional price levels. Not great instruments but functional. This could be a workable instrument for you although no concert grand by any means.

The issues you describe could describe something that is fatally expensive or merely incidental. Again, only a real person on site can tell. If you don't want to pay for valid information, then you will make your decision in an informational vacuum.

One source of generally reliable and competent technicians is found at www.ptg.org -- the Piano Technicians Guild website.

You can expect a few hundred dollars of "accumulated routine maintenance" catch-up to get the instrument functional.

Understood. I was really just asking to see if I would get a “1962 Wurlitzer spinets are junk, I’ve never seen one repaired for less than the cost of a new entry level upright”. Or, “don’t waste the inspection Fee unless you are prepared to spend $1500 plus to fix it”

D
dham340 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
Can you be more specific when you say "many keys way out of tune"? Does one note sound like 3 notes? That could be a sign of loose tuning pins. Do octaves not sound like octaves? How sentimentally attached are you to the piano? If not too emotionally attached, you'll be able to find another piano. There are loads of them out there.

Not that I noticed, octaves sounded like octaves, some were in tune, others barely out, others really out. As I said, not going to keep it for sentimental reasons and not willing to spend thousands to get it up to par.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It IS a nice looking piano, and I believe it is a console, not a spinet. I notice also that the bottom two notes above the tenor break have two, rather than three pins. This means those two notes have wound strings which indicates a better scaling. I also notice that there is little wear on the hammers. If you are comfortable with the cost or effort for moving the piano, and you have a tuner that treats pinblocks with CA glue (just in case... OK, more than likely) I'd say go for it. You can always sell it for the same free price. wink

Some may insist that a bigger piano is better, but they also take up more wall space and are more difficult to move.

Last edited by UnrightTooner; 06/01/20 09:30 AM.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
D
dham340 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Not that I think anyone cares, but I did have a certified piano tech come today. The piano was a full 1/2 step out of tune. But, besides a few sticky keys it looks like it can be brought back up to standard tuning over time. So, over the next several months he will come back and slowly bring it back. But sounds much better after the first tuning. It’s in tune with itself.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission