2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
53 members (dima5222, Charles Cohen, AndyOnThePiano, dbudde, David B, Doug M., dhull100, DreamPiano80, 12 invisible), 506 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New Steinway D-Signature Grand by Simple Sam Samples
newer player #2985584 05/29/20 08:54 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by newer player
New Steinway D-
Signature Grand by Simple Sam Samples
$79.95 >> $49.95

"Signature Grand is a Model D 9-foot Concert Grand recorded in a beautiful hall/scoring stage. The instrument naturally excels in film and classical applications, but the user is able to craft the sound to be suitable to nearly any style of playing.

What makes our piano different? Our instrument is bursting with three-dimensional realism due to a unique sampling and scripting process that captures the beautiful early reflections of the recording space. By blending two microphone perspectives, the user is able to find the perfect balance between close and room microphones, as well as controlling the overall ambiance of the space through our "releases" controls.

Signature Grand is a deeply sampled instrument containing over 3000 samples in 24-bit, 10 dynamic levels per note, two microphone perspectives, and multi-velocity mechanical noises. Advanced features include repedaling, half-pedaling and various sympathetic resonances. Over 60 presets designed by Emmy Award-winning composer, Garth Neustadter are included covering film, classical, jazz, and pop styles. Designed for the full version of Kontakt 5 or 6 (Download Only). The instrument will not work with the free version of Kontakt."

" More than 2500 samples in 24 Bit
All 88 keys individually sampled in 10 dynamic levels
Two microphone perspectives (Close and Room)
Multi-velocity adjustable mechanical noises
Authentically modeled una corda (soft pedal) samples
Sympathetic String Resonance with real overtones
True repedaling and half-pedaling
User controllable microphone/recording noise and player noises
Adjustable releases to control early reflections and ambiance
Over 60 presets designed by Emmy Award-winning composer, Garth Neustadter

Recommended Hardware

2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo CPU
4 GB RAM
10 GB free hard drive space
Hard drive speed of at least 7200 RPM; SSD highly recommended
minimum audio buffer size of 196 or higher recommended

Kontakt Requirements

Kontakt Version 5.6 + or 6. The free version of Kontakt is not supported, but will run in 30-minute demo mode.
Ability to host 350 voices within Kontakt"

https://simplesamsamples.com/virtual-instruments/pianos/signature-grand.html

Source of news- https://vi-control.net/community/threads/simple-sam-steinway.93956/

very nice sound. What's the tune at the beginning?

newer player #2985954 05/30/20 09:38 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Just discovered and purchased this vst, today. Here's 2 quick demos I did with it.

This is the NYC close mic perspective, out of the box. Note: it's WET even though it's a "close" mic perspective:

https://soundcloud.com/johnlgrant/1018largonycfeatureclose

The same material, now with a drier perspective:

https://soundcloud.com/johnlgrant/bach-sams-steinway-bright-and-dry

My initial take is that this is a VST that works well--incredibly well--if WET is your thing. The high end, on an initial listen, is phenomenal. The bass I really haven't had time to consider.

I posted a few observations over at VI Control, and subsequent playing confirms them, I think. Unlike HZP my uber-expensive scoring piano, this thing is definitely PLAYABLE. It also has a few more velocity layers.

The Bach-Busoni that immediately follows the second demo is a recording of a REAL Hamburg STeinway. Interesting comparison. Great playing by Mr. Rhodes, too. Can't comment on the half-pedaling; no time to assess. But, 50 bucks? A steal, I think.

Last edited by johnlewisgrant; 05/30/20 09:45 PM.

J. S. Bach Well-tempered Clavier, complete preludes and fugues (with significant MIDI analysis):

https://soundcloud.com/johnlgrant

https://www.youtube.com/user/dohgrant/playlists (slightly better sound quality)

newer player #2985988 05/31/20 01:13 AM
A
A

I like this comparison between their product and acoustic piano recording.

He added a little EQ but basically they look similar. Listen from 3:25.

johnlewisgrant #2986037 05/31/20 07:02 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by johnlewisgrant
Just discovered and purchased this vst, today. Here's 2 quick demos I did with it.

This is the NYC close mic perspective, out of the box. Note: it's WET even though it's a "close" mic perspective:

https://soundcloud.com/johnlgrant/1018largonycfeatureclose

The same material, now with a drier perspective:

https://soundcloud.com/johnlgrant/bach-sams-steinway-bright-and-dry

My initial take is that this is a VST that works well--incredibly well--if WET is your thing. The high end, on an initial listen, is phenomenal. The bass I really haven't had time to consider.

I posted a few observations over at VI Control, and subsequent playing confirms them, I think. Unlike HZP my uber-expensive scoring piano, this thing is definitely PLAYABLE. It also has a few more velocity layers.

The Bach-Busoni that immediately follows the second demo is a recording of a REAL Hamburg STeinway. Interesting comparison. Great playing by Mr. Rhodes, too. Can't comment on the half-pedaling; no time to assess. But, 50 bucks? A steal, I think.

great sound, regardless of the price!

newer player #2986529 06/01/20 08:51 AM
G
G
Thank you for the demos. Can you say by now whether this has pedal down samples or not? It doesn't seem like it.

Grazilerimba #2986554 06/01/20 10:09 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
Can you say by now whether this has pedal down samples or not? It doesn't seem like it.

It doesn't. Sounds like it has a simple impulse response Kontakt script.

newer player #2986557 06/01/20 10:14 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Some tips from the developer are at the Vi_Control forum...

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/simple-sam-steinway.93956/page-4#post-4570571

Originally Posted by "SimpleSamSamples, post: 4570571, member: 7636"
Hello all, and thank you so much for checking out our new piano. There are a lot of beautiful user demos posted here and I really appreciate reading all of the kind words and feedback here. We hope to post an additional video soon that gives an overview of the presets and how best to use them. Before that I'll try to clarify a couple of quick things.

1) The "Default Classical" and "Default Film" presets are the piano in its most pure form. No EQ, No compression, nothing except for 1-2 dB peak limiting on the master. Many of you will probably prefer to use these default settings and use your own external effects to mix and process in your DAW.

2) If you are hearing too much limiting, especially with the "Default Classical" or "Default Film" presets, the velocities of your controller are most likely hitting our instrument higher than we designed. First, adjust the "velocity offset" controller in the settings to a lower value. You can then experiment with the "velocity curve" setting or draw your own velocity curve onto the table.

3) Since any effects are happening on the Master Bus level, you can always just turn down the mic volume levels until they are not hitting the Master Bus effects as hard. For example if you hear too much tape saturation on a preset that is emulating a vintage recording, you can turn down the mic volume levels until the piano is hitting the tape the way you want.

4) Every preset is a particular emulation of a reference recording. We will try to post more audio comparisons when we release a preset walkthrough video. Many presets are meant for a particular playing style or dynamic range. For example, the "LA Beauty" preset is definitely geared towards super-soft Newman-esque playing and would sound terrible playing a dynamic piano concerto.

Many presets, such as "Solo Bill, 40s Art, Chicago Classic" will have quite audible distortion because of the classic vintage recording they are emulating. On a few other presets, the tape saturation is quite subtle. For example, check out 4:14 in our walkthrough video:

[MEDIA=youtube]94mVG_odT24:254[/MEDIA]

The reference film recording has a bit of subtle tape distortion which is emulated in the preset.

Overall, the key to getting the right sound with our instrument is adjusting the velocities of your controller using the velocity controls. I hope this helps clarify things a bit! We will continue to refine our instrument to give you the best playing experience possible.

newer player #2986583 06/01/20 10:59 AM
G
G
@Alex thank you for the information. Will likely pass on this one then. I'd rather get Noire at a sale instead.

newer player #2987504 06/03/20 04:32 PM
S
S
Thanks everyone for your interest in our Signature Grand!
I would love to take an opportunity to show you what our piano can do... if any of you would like to post a link (YouTube, etc.) of a real solo piano recording from a major-label release, I would love to create a comparison example with our instrument. Preferably the recording would be post-1990 and classical or film genres to make the best comparison.

If you have any other questions about the instrument, I'd be happy to answer them here. Thanks!

Simple Sam Samples #2987537 06/03/20 05:43 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Simple Sam Samples
Thanks everyone for your interest in our Signature Grand!
I would love to take an opportunity to show you what our piano can do... if any of you would like to post a link (YouTube, etc.) of a real solo piano recording from a major-label release, I would love to create a comparison example with our instrument. Preferably the recording would be post-1990 and classical or film genres to make the best comparison.

If you have any other questions about the instrument, I'd be happy to answer them here. Thanks!

OK, since you said that we can post YouTube links of piano performances, I'm going to take the plunge to post one of my favourite recordings of this wonderful work by Franck! You can choose any part (probably the concluding few minutes) to work on since that covers a good chunck of the keyboard. I'm looking forward to what this Steinway can do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbCwkXP2oTI

newer player #2987650 06/04/20 01:40 AM
S
S
Thanks David... I wasn't aware of that recording and we would love to put together a version of the last few minutes with our piano. Please give us a day or two and then we'll post it here!

newer player #2987658 06/04/20 02:11 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I like this piano very much, its size is only 4.7GB (similar to Vintage D) and sounds incredible. One thing is important when anyone start this piano for the first time and this is proper velocity settings. At default settings it sound loud and harsh. Fortunately there are velocity settings. With some modifications this piano sings very real and the price is a steal. I am looking forward for this comparison mention above.

Last edited by slobajudge; 06/04/20 02:11 AM.
newer player #2987708 06/04/20 07:24 AM
P
P
I like the clarity and of this recording, Keith Jarrett 1991, great tune starts at 31:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUke0YQqJv0

Simple Sam Samples #2987892 06/04/20 03:16 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Simple Sam Samples
Thanks David... I wasn't aware of that recording and we would love to put together a version of the last few minutes with our piano. Please give us a day or two and then we'll post it here!

That would be wonderful! I'm curious as to whether this piano is good for playing live. That's what I'm interested to find out. smile Thanks for accepting the challenge! smile

newer player #2988171 06/05/20 01:34 PM
G
G
@slobajudge
thank you for the post. Would you say that the resonance sounds believable? If you press down the pedal and play some chords in the higher registers and let it ring, does it sound rich and full, and is it long enough? Just curious to get your opinion on this.
How do you feel the playability is compared to the Vintage D?

Grazilerimba #2988345 06/06/20 05:06 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
@slobajudge
thank you for the post. Would you say that the resonance sounds believable? If you press down the pedal and play some chords in the higher registers and let it ring, does it sound rich and full, and is it long enough? Just curious to get your opinion on this.
How do you feel the playability is compared to the Vintage D?

In my opinion, overall, everything about sound on this piano has proper feel, dynamics, lows are good, mids also, top end has body, (for example I don`t like top end too much in VSL pianos), resonance, room feel. It is a very good combination of realistic sound of piano and digital compromise. Its not that raw like for example Pearl concert grand. It really sings as I said and overall I don`t have complains about playability. For example, I think that VSL pianos are hard to beat in technical terms, and they are perfect for concert sound pianos. This piano is more present and the price is a steal. Developer put effort to create presets that are similar to referent recordings. One preset is pure sound of piano without EQ, saturation etc, and this is classical and film preset (the same). Some minor downsides are : it need few velocity tweaks and some notes are louder but its not that bad. Anyway, they said that will made update. I don`t play Vintage D anymore because in my opinion new libraries have better sound, and if there are complains about size of the new libraries, this Signature grand is maybe a perfect substitute for Vintage D.

Last edited by slobajudge; 06/06/20 05:07 AM.
newer player #2988354 06/06/20 06:17 AM
P
P
O Sloba...what has become of your love towards the Embertone Walker 1955 ? grin

I have the Signature Grand and it’s very good. Superb top end ...indeed ( much ) stronger than the VSL equivalents.
I do miss some velocity layers, that would certainly put it near the absolute top of the pack.

Anyways,...for me the Embertone 1955 ( hammer mics ) remains unrivaled for intimate close recordings with soul and a touch of roughness that normally are hard to capture with digitals.

newer player #2988358 06/06/20 06:53 AM
A
A
While I agree with most points mentioned, there are a few shortcomings, IMO:

- Resonance is not really a forte but rather an ordinary impulse script. It does something but it's not comparable to notes sampled with actual pedal resonance or real recorded resonance.

- Notes or chords can sound too short (I compare it too other libraries)

pianistje #2988362 06/06/20 07:12 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianistje
O Sloba...what has become of your love towards the Embertone Walker 1955 ? grin

I have the Signature Grand and it’s very good. Superb top end ...indeed ( much ) stronger than the VSL equivalents.
I do miss some velocity layers, that would certainly put it near the absolute top of the pack.

Anyways,...for me the Embertone 1955 ( hammer mics ) remains unrivaled for intimate close recordings with soul and a touch of roughness that normally are hard to capture with digitals.

Its still here, I love Embertone piano much more than most of the others. It still one of my favorite, Signature piano is just another excellent flavour, a little different. I agree with you, I also want more velocity layers. We are probably all looking for only one to have and to be a perfect substitute for real piano but every one of them has some flaws, but if any developer nailed just one good side and feel of acoustic piano to inspire people to play, it is enough. Signature piano definitely nailed more than one. There are probably a lot more to coming. Now that`s a bad news for our wallets smile. My conclusion is, it is hard to be disappointed with this piano compare to price we pay for it, probably impossible.

Last edited by slobajudge; 06/06/20 07:18 AM.
newer player #2988444 06/06/20 01:04 PM
S
S
Hello everyone,

David Lai requested a comparison of our Signature Grand to a Murray Perahia recording of César Franck's Prélude, Choral et Fugue.
This was a challenge to play, but fun smile We've posted a link to the comparison here:

https://youtu.be/jtGEHEWKZdo

The Reference recording is the top track, while Signature Grand is the bottom. We switch back and forth between the two of them so you can compare differences quickly (it might be easiest to watch the audio meters). I'm happy to also post the full Signature Grand recording and midi.
We used our Classical Default preset with a slightly modified velocity curve to match our controller. We also volume-level matched to the reference.
The Perahia reference has a nicely focused, slightly "buzzy" mid-range, while the Signature Grand is perhaps a little more round in sound, in our opinion.

I'll be posting a followup that answers a few more of your questions and gives a little more information on what to expect (or not to expect!) from our piano.
Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brodmann vs Boston vs Yamaha?
by sdag - 07/12/20 10:12 AM
Warning for second hand sellers
by KevinM - 07/12/20 09:36 AM
Key weight setting
by CajunJ - 07/12/20 09:10 AM
Digital vs Real piano for practicing
by Aceituna - 07/12/20 04:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,218
Posts2,979,817
Members97,750
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission