2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 15 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2985911 05/30/20 06:12 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I'm going to play-test a Kawai ES-110 in 2 days (store is open finally). I own a Kawai MP-11. What are the ES-110's piano samples? Are they the same as my MP-11? If not, better or worse? Thanks.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
The 11 has Harmonic Imaging XL, the 110 has Harmonic Imsging. The ES8 has XL. I have read there is a significant difference in the “interpretation “ of the samples. Try the 8!

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The piano sound in the ES110 while probably OK for live playing isn't anything particularly good, to put it mildly. Audibly worse than the MP11. It's an entry-level piano after all, using 4 generations older sound engine:

1. Harmonic Imaging
2. Progressive Harmonic Imaging
3. Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging
4. Harmonic Imaging XL
5. SK-EX Rendering (current)

I wouldn't bother at all, unless you're after lightweight and portable instrument for gigging.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I think the ES110 is okay - more expressive than you might imagine with the older sound engine. I don't see that as much of a limitation.

The sample is of course the older EX concert grand (as also featured in the MP11). I'm not a fan because to my ears it has a metallic, rasping unrefinement and there's some significant unevenness between notes. But as an expressive instrument I think it's fine. The newer SK-EX sample (ES8, MP11SE etc) is miles better but of course you don't get than in the ES110 (or MP11).

But if you like the older EX sample I think the ES110 is very competitive in that entry level class. Its action is probably a bit better than the Yamaha P125's and a bit more agile than the Roland FP-30 (which although quite good, is a tad sluggish feeling to me).

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by IosPlayer
The 11 has Harmonic Imaging XL, the 110 has Harmonic Imsging. The ES8 has XL. I have read there is a significant difference in the “interpretation “ of the samples. Try the 8!

I'll try the 8 if the store has it. But I need a lightweight board. I have to move it out of the house and into the yard to play. I think the 8 is 48 pounds to the 110's 26. If I get the 110, it's instead of or in addition to the Casio PXS-3000 that I've had for 2 weeks (and can still return).

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by EssBrace
The sample is of course the older EX concert grand (as also featured in the MP11).

I have the 11 (3000 miles away these days), so I can deal with that. If I get the 110, it's for the action; the 11's action is perfect for me. Thank everybody for confirming this.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Have you considered Roland FP10? I decided I didn’t like the action, but we differ on this subject. You might.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene
The piano sound in the ES110 while probably OK for live playing isn't anything particularly good, to put it mildly. Audibly worse than the MP11. It's an entry-level piano after all, using 4 generations older sound engine:

1. Harmonic Imaging
2. Progressive Harmonic Imaging
3. Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging
4. Harmonic Imaging XL
5. SK-EX Rendering (current)

I wouldn't bother at all, unless you're after lightweight and portable instrument for gigging.

Action and weight are the criteria here; daily schlepping in and out of the house to the yard to play.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Have you considered Roland FP10? I decided I didn’t like the action, but we differ on this subject. You might.

Not yet. My choices are having AMS mail to me. I do currently have the Casio PXS-3000 from them for another 3 weeks on trial. A local piano store is open and carries the Kawai, but Guitar Center and Sam Ash (who MAY have the Roland) are carry-out only still. Ideally, I would try all of these in person, but it's Covid-time (unless you're rioting, quite the scene here in LA the last 2 nights...).

Isn't the FP-10 a "tough" action? I'm looking for a lighter action. My MP11 is great in that respect (3000 miles away...). The Casio PXS-3000 checks all the boxes for me except the action...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I read mention of the ES110 sounding raspy. That could be the dumb speakerEQ setting it ships with . Turn that off for a smoother fuller clean tone and save it. That’s one of the first things I did when I got mine. It improves the sound.

The first four pianos are
Concert Grand 1
Concert Grand 2
Studio Grand 1
Studio Grand 2

I use Studio Grand 2 for single note jazz soloing. It is more legato, less thumpy, so it does a better job for getting trumpet like legato single note lines when soloing. It’s also less stereo spread than Concert Grand 1 and has better clarity.

There is a great clean tone Fender Rhodes hidden under the hood. But it takes some edits to get to it.

Previously I had the Casio PX-S3000 for 10 months alongside my PX360. I bought the ES110 and played it side by side with my PXS3000 for 10 days. The ES110 won easily, in my judgement, by having a much more playable action and piano tone. I also prefer it’s hidden Rhodes. I also spent two different days at a piano dealer comparing the ES110 to the P125 and the FP30.

Last edited by rintincop; 05/31/20 02:30 PM.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
PHA 4 has the longer pivot, so they're nicer feeling towards the top of the key vs es110,sx1000

But the repetition speed is a bit more difficult to nail down, it has a much heavier downstroke and I think the triple sensor (in this case) actually convolutes(binds up) the input if you don't nail the keystrike exactly after it resets.

Last edited by jeffcat; 05/31/20 03:01 PM.
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by rintincop
I read mention of the ES110 sounding raspy. That could be the dumb speakerEQ setting it ships with . Turn that off for a smoother fuller clean tone and save it. That’s one of the first things I did when I got mine. It improves the sound.

----> I doubt I'll be able to do that in the store tomorrow, unless the owner knows how to do that. But, if it's the identical sample to my MP-11, I already know what it is. I would not deem it "raspy." A little "Static" and"one dimensional,"however. Quite acceptable in any event.

I use Studio Grand 2 for single note jazz soloing. It is more legato, less thumpy, so it does a better job for getting trumpet like legato single note lines when soloing. It’s also less stereo spread than Concert Grand 1 and has better clarity.

-----> since saxophone is my main axe, I play piano with single note lines in mind. The Casio 3000 isn't great for that.

There is a great clean tone Fender Rhodes hidden under the hood. But it takes some edits to get to it.

----- > if I buy the 110, I hope you'll post how to get to it. I'll assume that it's there under the hood for now.

I bought the ES110 and played it side by side with my PXS3000 for 10 days. The ES110 won easily, in my judgement, by having a much more playable action and piano tone. I also prefer it’s hidden Rhodes.

----- > I hope to do that as well.

I also spent two different days at a piano dealer comparing the ES110 to the P125 and the FP30.

-----> What's your take on those?

Thanks.....

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's very easy to do:

While holding the Function button, simply press the A#6 key on the keyboard, that will turn off the dreaded "Speaker EQ"

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
"I also spent two different days at a piano dealer comparing the ES110 to the P125 and the FP30.

-----> What's your take on those? "

I reached the same conclusion as I did with the Cassio PX-S3000, the ES110 won for having a more playable action and for piano and Rhodes tone.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The ES110 comes with a quick reference guide for all its edits. It is a menu printed on both sides of a heavy-duty glossy single sheet of paper. Here are both sides of the menu.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have owned all of the original FPs (FP2, FP3, FP4, FP60) and since my FP4 days Roland started making the actions “heavy”. I find them sluggish now for fast single note bop playing. I think they made them heavier now days to make them more durable , especially for when a rock player gets one

Last edited by rintincop; 05/31/20 05:50 PM.

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax

I'll try the 8 if the store has it. But I need a lightweight board. I have to move it out of the house and into the yard to play. I think the 8 is 48 pounds to the 110's 26. If I get the 110, it's instead of or in addition to the Casio PXS-3000 that I've had for 2 weeks (and can still return).

Have quality headphones with you for engine comparison, if you intend to use it with headphones or external speakers. Over built-in speakers, the speaker (limited) quality tends to become the most obvious difference. The CN39 sounded much better to me than the ES8 side-by-side, though the latter has a better engine in the specs (presumably longer samples).

I intended to get myself a lightweight slab, but was disappointed by all when I got to test them. The ES110 seemed the best of the bunch though.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
"I also spent two different days at a piano dealer comparing the ES110 to the P125 and the FP30.

I reached the same conclusion as I did with the Cassio PX-S3000, the ES110 won for having a more playable action and for piano and Rhodes tone.

----- > I was able to play the ES110 for all of 3 minutes today until the rioters showed up and they threw everybody out (Sam Ash West Hollywood). Well, yeah, as to the action and tone. It felt like my MP11 and the piano sound was great. No tweaking; I'll do that tomorrow, including function + Bb6.* Fast soloing on "Donna Lee" was no problem; this action is far more conducive to my style of playing than the Casio 3000. I just wish this thing had audio in!

-----> I then went across the street to Guitar Center and waited in line for 30 minutes to try out the Casio 560, but they abruptly closed due to new, earlier city-wide curfew. It apparently has the same, Casio-wide, pre-1000/3000 keyboard and piano sample that my PX-5S has. Hopefuly not the latter. Did you try this one?

* I assume your "A#" was not a typo. It's all Bb to me, but then again, I'm as tenor saxophonist, and that's in Bb....

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

----- > I was able to play the ES110 for all of 3 minutes today until the rioters showed up and they threw everybody out (Sam Ash West Hollywood). Well, yeah, as to the action and tone. It felt like my MP11 and the piano sound was great. No tweaking; I'll do that tomorrow, including function + Bb6.* Fast soloing on "Donna Lee" was no problem; this action is far more conducive to my style of playing than the Casio 3000. I just wish this thing had audio in!

-----> I then went across the street to Guitar Center and waited in line for 30 minutes to try out the Casio 560, but they abruptly closed due to new, earlier city-wide curfew. It apparently has the same, Casio-wide, pre-1000/3000 keyboard and piano sample that my PX-5S has. Hopefuly not the latter. Did you try this one?

* I assume your "A#" was not a typo. It's all Bb to me, but then again, I'm as tenor saxophonist, and that's in Bb....
Originally Posted by _sem_
Have quality headphones with you for engine comparison, if you intend to use it with headphones or external speakers. Over built-in speakers, the speaker (limited) quality tends to become the most obvious difference. The CN39 sounded much better to me than the ES8 side-by-side, though the latter has a better engine in the specs (presumably longer samples).

I intended to get myself a lightweight slab, but was disappointed by all when I got to test them. The ES110 seemed the best of the bunch though.

-----> Round #2 tomorrow, hopefully not truncated by rioters. Sam Ash has the ES-8 too, but it's way too heavy (pounds) for my purposes. I'll play it though, and this time I'll bring my AKG 271 Mk 2 cans....

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I called it A#6 because that's what they call it on the Kawai quick reference guide. The quick reference guide is a printed menu page that shows all the function edits across an illustration of the 88 keys. It's easy. The piano dealer I go to has the menu page laying on top of the keyboard so customers can try the various edits.
I used to own the PX 360 (560) for three years, then I replaced it with the PX-S3000 for 10 months (had them side by side for a month, much like I eventually had the ES110 side by side with the PX-S3000). The result, I recommend the ES110.

It's not hard to get to the hidden Rhodes (2 edits required). I can send you a scan of the one-page quick reference guide. Message me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission