2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (c++, anotherscott, Carey, CyberGene, beeboss, clothearednincompo, 17 invisible), 496 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2985563 05/29/20 07:16 PM
C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Can any teacher refer me to a very simple digital metronome that is rechargeable? I would hope the bpm range might go as low as 20 to 250. Simple and rechargeable with Simple number display , no need for complex additional beat patterns, Portable! I apologize for not participating in your forum as a teacher and asking this question... i’m a pianist with challenged eyesight so simple is what I’m hoping to find in a metronome. Are there digital with rechargeable capability?
Thank you for any recommendations... There’s quite a Sea of metronome choices out there!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you have a smart phone, there are dozens of metronome apps available, many are free.

Piano teacher.
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Coda
Not a teacher, but this metronome may be what you are looking for- and the price is low enough to give it a try

Amazon USB metronome

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't know if all those features are bundled together in a quality metronome. Rechargable & to 20BPM are not common features. I would not buy an off-brand metronome as you want precise timing.

This excellent metronome goes from 1 to 300 beats per minute. The display is large. You can add a battery eliminator that plugs into AC wall for $14.

https://www.metronomes.net/SeikoSq200Metronome.htm

This excellent simple seiko has a dial. It goes from 40 to 208 beats per minute (that is a more standard range). Battery lasts upto 100 hours.

https://www.metronomes.net/SeikoSq44.htm

Free app, no ads.

Simple Metronome.

can set it to blink downbeats, or make "fun" sounds like a duck, or...well, go check it out.

Learning as I teach.
C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks to everyone so far as these are all ALMOST what I’m hoping to find with Seiko SQ-200 being the closest match of the features I’m seeking. It’s a bit pricey but very impressive.
I don’t want an app to use on my phone because it runs down the battery and I’d prefer a separate tool as a standalone metronome that can be recharged. I know there’s lots and lots of metronome apps to choose from.
Is it unusual for a digital metronome to be rechargeable?

T
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
T
I have yet to see a rechargeable metronome.

My standard has been the Korg KDM-2.
https://www.korg.com/us/products/tuners/kdm_2/

It has adjustable volume, can be set to many types of meter, and is fairly intuitive.

But it uses batteries and won't go as low as you want. Actually 20 is below most metronomes. Battery life on the Korg has been very good, and potentially you could use rechargeable batteries, I guess.

I also have a windup Seth Thomas. I use it mostly for exercising rather than music, because my vision isn't up to seeing the small markings, and it isn't precise. But if I want to do a 30 second plank, I set it to 60 BPM and listen and count seconds, I don't have to watch a clock.

Now here's another thought. Do you have a tablet or Kindle, something like that? With libraries closed, I'm reading on the Kindle Fire 10, and it's almost big enough for music. So I downloaded MobileSheets. It is a free program for displaying sheet music, and it has some nice features. You can turn pages with a tap, and if you want you can turn the top half of a page while you're still playing the bottom. It comes with a metronome that I think does go down to 20.

gotta go practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have a Korg just like yours, Tim, and I use rechargeable batteries.

Du holde Kunst...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Coda9
Is it unusual for a digital metronome to be rechargeable?
I've never seen one before.

Partly because battery life is quite long. For example the Korg MA2 (Pokemon edition) is rated at 400 hours. The Seiko SQ50v is rated at 100 hours.

Also, there is a cost to providing the mains adapter, power jack, charging circuit, and rechargeable battery.

You could always buy separate rechargable batteries and a charger (I use the Panasonic Eneloop white).
[Linked Image]

C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you so much everyone these are excellent suggestions!

This discussion has clarified that I need to change my search parameters...
Keep it simple, not too tiny, batteries are OK, would prefer the size to be comfortable to hold in one’s hand, 30 or 40–280 bpm. Is there a simple one by Korg that might fit this description?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thank you so much everyone these are excellent suggestions!

This discussion has clarified that I need to change my search parameters...
Keep it simple, not too tiny, batteries are OK, would prefer the size to be comfortable to hold in one’s hand, 30 or 40–280 bpm. Is there a simple one by Korg that might fit this description?

Is there some reason why you are working so hard on this decision?

It's just a metronome; you're not buying a house or choosing a spouse.

Learner
A
A
Can any teacher refer me to a very simple digital metronome that is rechargeable? I would hope the bpm range might go as low as 20 to 250. Simple and rechargeable with Simple number display , no need for complex additional beat patterns, Portable! I apologize for not participating in your forum as a teacher and asking this question... i’m a pianist with challenged eyesight so simple is what I’m hoping to find in a metronome. Are there digital with rechargeable capability?
Thank you for any recommendations... There’s quite a Sea of metronome choices out there!

Not a teacher but here is a wildcard, there is a watch metronome (vibrates/ noise/ makes a light) called soundbrenner tap the tempo you want on it and it continues at that pace. My one is paired with my phone so that I can use my phone to say I want the tempo at X bpm. This is just a suggestion of an alternative to the conventional metronomes. It fits the criteria of being rechargeable (similar to charging a mobile) and fits in your hand.

C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hellow Malkin— Yes there is a reason why I am working hard on the decision of finding a metronome. I have very challenged eyesight and need easy to read tools such as a metronome. I use it as sort of a conductor and I am very seriously working on some demanding pieces of advanced piano literature.

The wrist watch metronome “soundbrenner,” looks like a very excellent tool as metronomes go but I cannot wear it on my wrist while flying around the piano keyboard... And basically it’s out of my price range.
Thanks to everyone as I’ve discovered a wider variety of styles of metronomes through this discussion.

A
A
Hellow Malkin— Yes there is a reason why I am working hard on the decision of finding a metronome. I have very challenged eyesight and need easy to read tools such as a metronome. I use it as sort of a conductor and I am very seriously working on some demanding pieces of advanced piano literature.

The wrist watch metronome “soundbrenner,” looks like a very excellent tool as metronomes go but I cannot wear it on my wrist while flying around the piano keyboard... And basically it’s out of my price range.
Thanks to everyone as I’ve discovered a wider variety of styles of metronomes through this discussion.
I bought it with 3 straps a long one can go over chest, one for ankle/ thigh and one for wrist. I understand it is a a bit pricey: this comment is just in case anyone else was interested but did not want it on their wrists also.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Well all the best to you Coda9.
And good luck at the salad bar!

Learner
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I've switched to the Phone apps because there are many more options for the tone. I've found that on the pre-baked metronome devices, alot of the times, the tone is so grating and annoying to my ears that I just hated playing to it. Dig out your old Iphones or android phones, most apps of this type still work.

Last edited by jeffcat; 06/18/20 08:22 PM.
T
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Dig out your old Iphones or android phones, most apps of this type still work.

Yes, good point.

I have an old iPhone that was replaced by a newer model. I had the battery replaced at one of those phone repair shops. It has no phone service but gets WiFi and loads apps, so I have a tuner and metronome and I use it for recording, etc.

gotta go practice
R
R
It only drains the battery badly if you keep the screen on. If your app works with the phone screen locked/off there’s no reason it would drain the battery any faster than playing Spotify etc, which can go for 5 or 6 hours.

Yamaha N3
(ex Clavinova CLP-175)

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Classical Style Lead Sheets
by Qazsedcft - 04/23/21 10:42 AM
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
How do they do it?
by sheana - 04/23/21 07:54 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,487
Posts3,085,721
Members101,286
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission