2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2985926 05/30/20 06:59 PM
OP Offline
I’m interested in hearing from those who have taken Jonny May’s improvisation and jazz courses. Specifically, is there a lot of personal interaction with Johnny May personally? Did your playing improve? Was it an easy to learn format?

Finally, how do these online instruction compare to “do it yourself” type courses like Duane Shinn? Are they more akin to personal lessons with an instructor due to the ability to receive feedback and ask questions?

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I never bought his courses but I like his free video on youtube. If I didn't have a teacher I'll join.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

OP Offline
His presentation looks professional and appealing. I’m just wondering if there are unbiased feedback on the effectiveness and drawbacks of such an approach.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
It looks like he offers a 14-day free trial. That should be sufficient time to judge for yourself. The reason I say to judge for yourself is because we’re all very different in how we learn, what we like or don’t like and what we’re looking for.

Yesterday, I signed up for a 14-day free trial of another online music program based on good reviews. After a couple of hours, I thought the site was well put together and generally had positive thoughts about it but I won’t be signing up for a paid subscription because it’s not exactly what I was looking for.

So I say, just give it a try!

Kawai K500
OP Offline
Yes, I guess the trial is a good way to see what it’s all about. But it’s still good to hear back from anyone else who has tried it and get their thoughts. Even though it’s all personal, feedback is still always valuable.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by 20/20 Vision
Yes, I guess the trial is a good way to see what it’s all about. But it’s still good to hear back from anyone else who has tried it and get their thoughts. Even though it’s all personal, feedback is still always valuable.

Fair enough. Not sure if you also posted in the non-classical forum? I’ve seen it mentioned there a couple of times, probably more so than here. You might want to try there as well.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/31/20 07:48 PM.

Kawai K500
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
It is a Facebook experience. I think the teaching is good. Really upbeat! He uses his own tunes so he doesn't have copyright problems. I don't agree with that and he is the only online teacher I have seen do that? I was in it for a couple of months. If you like FB you may like this. They urge you to post videos. If you choose to quit, they will give you a really good offer to stay.

Kawai NV10
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TomLC
It is a Facebook experience. I think the teaching is good. Really upbeat! He uses his own tunes so he doesn't have copyright problems. I don't agree with that and he is the only online teacher I have seen do that? I was in it for a couple of months. If you like FB you may like this. They urge you to post videos. If you choose to quit, they will give you a really good offer to stay.

May I ask what made you decide to quit? Did you get a lot out of it?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I have been using Piano By Jonny for the last few months and overall I am satisfied with it. The primary way of getting feedback is from posting videos that I have not done yet. I would strongly recommend you do a trial of not only Piano By Jonny but a few other sites as well. It all depends on what you are looking for and what style you are comfortable with.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission