2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hi, I am not a Professional piano player, but have been playing piano for awhile.
I had considered buying a hybrid instrumentand, I cant decide between these two pianos.
I went to the local dealer tried Yamaha NU1X and I think it was ok, although is not Perfect, but is within my Budget. The owner on the shop trying to pursue me to be a Silent piano instead (Yamaha B1Sc2). I personally feel the sound on B1Sc1 is much better then NU1X, but I really want to avoid tuning the piano. Here is quite expensive to get the piano tune.
We don't have a local dealers on Casio GP 510 so I am not able to test it only see the piano on the youtube.

Have anyone compare these two pianos and could give me some suggetions? I read on the earlier treads that Yamaha releasing CLP -700 series. Should I wait for CLP-700 Collections and then compare? Worth waiting?

Last edited by Dodo3009; 05/29/20 03:03 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Neither of them are great. The GP-510 is good - but not great, and certainly not worth its crazy high price.

Key weight grading in the GP-510 is atrocious (worst I've measured on any digital piano).
And the NU1X is a poor attempt at an upright version of the N1X (the N1X being the only Yamaha I would recommend other than the P-125).

Try the Kawai CA99 instead, and/or do as you suggested: wait and see what the CLP-785 is like (this is the path I'm taking: wait to see Yamaha's move).

Last edited by Burkie; 05/29/20 03:36 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Burkie
Try the Kawai CA99 instead...

Or a Kawai Novus NV5 (upright action) or NV10 (grand action).

You may also wish to play-test the Roland LX700 series.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
OP Offline
D
what is the differences between upright Version and grand action?

So difficult to make decision, I was very attempt to buy the silent Piano, because I felt the sound coming from the silent B1Sc2 was so much better then Nu1X.
But again i dont want to tune the piano every year.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Dodo3009
I had considered buying a hybrid instrumentand, I cant decide between these two pianos.

Only one of them is an "actual hybrid". The Casio is just a "marketing hybrid".

This is of course debatable and a matter of taste and definition, but the Casio does not have an action of a real acoustic piano.

They are mechanically very different and some might say the upright action has some limitations. (It does have but they are not necessarily significant for a "recreational player".)

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
So difficult to make decision, I was very attempt to buy the silent Piano, because I felt the sound coming from the silent B1Sc2 was so much better then Nu1X.
But again i dont want to tune the piano every year.

If you prefer acoustic sound, you should probably get an acoustic, despite the tuning hassle. Mind there are huge differences among the acoustics, for instance in a local chop I liked a same-priced used U1 much more than a new B.

If you have enough space it may be a better idea to buy a straight acoustic plus a digital slab for silent practice. Where I was looking, the price difference between straight and silent acoustics was roughly the price of a FP-90.

Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What about getting the b1 if the dealer agrees on teaching you how to tune the piano?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
A good question.
Basically because the action on a grand is horizontal and the the action on an upright is vertical, the effect of gravity causes some dramatic differences:
1. Key upweight is much much higher on a grand piano - making it less tiresome to play.
2. Repetition speed (how fast you can repeat a note) is about 14+ notes per second on a grand piano, about double that of an upright. Additionally you have to let the key rise back up further on an upright in order to repeat the note which again makes it more tiring to play.

That said, you can modify an upright action to eliminate most of these differences:
http://granfeel.jp/

But if you're contemplating going to all the trouble of doing that to an NU1X you might as well get the N1X for the same total cost.

Last edited by Burkie; 05/29/20 07:19 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
D
OP Offline
D
The sound from the silent piano are really nice but cost around 250 usd to tune the piano. Is it very difficult to learn how to tune the piano it self? Lol I don't think I am handy enough to do it by myself.
Kawaii ca99 is on my price range unfortunately we don't have this piano on the store. 😐 Can't test it

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Just pay a piano technician the $100...200 once a year or whatever it costs.

Tuning pianos has been discussed here to some extent and then there's of course the tuners' and technicians' forum here, but I guess the short version would be that a layperson can make small adjustments but piano maintenance is really better left for professionals if it's a piano that's worth something and you'd like to keep it that way. (As you would. Acoustics can maintain some monetary value much better than digitals.)

And it's not just tuning. There can be other maintenance too: regulation, voicing, whatnot...

...fixing a cracked sound board.
...fixing a cracked tuning block.
...replacing a broken string.
...softening the hardened hammers.
...so-many-things-that-can-go-wrong

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The difference between an upright action (NU1X, NV5), and a grand action (N1X, NV10) ? Try and test. Your felling will worth a thousand of words. If they feel the same to you, you should consider the upright and spare some money. (Note: I spare money to buy a N1X).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The sound from the silent piano are really nice but cost around 250 usd to tune the piano. Is it very difficult to learn how to tune the piano it self? Lol I don't think I am handy enough to do it by myself.
Kawaii ca99 is on my price range unfortunately we don't have this piano on the store. 😐 Can't test it

In what universe are piano tuners getting $250 per tuning? Sign me up for that! Even in the major city near me, the going rate is about $150, mostly due to traffic and driving time, getting to the appointments in the first place. Out here in the country, the going rate is even less.

Originally Posted by Ubu
What about getting the b1 if the dealer agrees on teaching you how to tune the piano?

This is probably not a good idea on a variety of levels. It takes time to get good at just tuning, and new pianos need the most service by knowledgeable people at the very beginning and very end of their normal lifespan. In retrospect, it probably took me 75 tunings until the result was what I'd now call "acceptable". The quality of technicians employed or hired by dealers is highly variable, and they're unlikely to want to teach you something that makes them lose money in the long run.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
D
OP Offline
D
in norway 😅..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
In what universe are piano tuners getting $250 per tuning? Sign me up for that! Even in the major city near me, the going rate is about $150, mostly due to traffic and driving time, getting to the appointments in the first place. Out here in the country, the going rate is even less.

Ha, that's really striking. Here in Denmark the price increases with your distance from the major cities, so if you happen to live far out in the countryside, expect to pay a lot. If you live reasonably close to a city, you would probably pay around $180.

in norway 😅..

And your distances to major cities can be A LOT longer than ours here in Denmark. I can imagine a tuner who has to drive for 5 hours in each direction will want quite a lot of payment for that.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
S
S
Thinking outside the box slightly here...

I purchased a used Casio GP300 purely for the action - I like it, and while it's a close call between that and the GF2/3 from Kawai, I like the way the cabinet of the Casio is styled too. It feels substantial.

What I DON'T like is Casio's manky sound engine - It's atrocious. I use my GP300 in conjunction with my MacBook running Pianoteq and sometimes Native Instruments Noire. It's a combination I'm really happy with, and feel the only way to upgrade would be a foray into the Hybrid arena, or an actual acoustic instrument.

The cost of a used GP300 + Pianoteq + nice headphones is an awful lot less than a new GP510, for instance, let alone an NU1x or N1x.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Seb Clement

I purchased a used Casio GP300 purely for the action - I like it, and while it's a close call between that and the GF2/3 from Kawai, I like the way the cabinet of the Casio is styled too. It feels substantial.

What I DON'T like is Casio's manky sound engine - It's atrocious.
I think they addressed the sound issues in the new GP-310 - better speakers and better samples.

However I think it still doesn't let you save settings/presets? Which is a deal breaker for many people. There is absolutely no way I'm paying $3,000 for something that can't even remember the configuration settings I entered the day before!

Last edited by Burkie; 05/30/20 07:59 AM.

S
S
Originally Posted by Burkie

What I DON'T like is Casio's manky sound engine - It's atrocious.
I think they addressed the sound issues in the new GP-310 - better speakers and better samples.

However I think it still doesn't let you save settings/presets? Which is a deal breaker for many people. There is absolutely no way I'm paying $3,000 for something that can't even remember the configuration settings I entered the day before!
It's better but still not good enough. Casio do have work to do for the instrument to become a serious competitor to Kawai and Yamaha's current offerings.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's better but still not good enough. Casio do have work to do for the instrument to become a serious competitor to Kawai and Yamaha's current offerings.

I don't agree with that. When I was shopping for a digital piano, I played many of those far outside my intended price range, including one of the Casio GP's, the top non-hybrid models from Kawai and Yamaha, and also expensive Rolands.

The Casio beat all the others, in my opinion. The action felt much nicer than those of the others, and the tone was on a par with theirs.

Ultimately, the NU1X beat all of them handedly, however. A "real" piano action is simply something else.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
O
O

What I DON'T like is Casio's manky sound engine - It's atrocious. I use my GP300 in conjunction with my MacBook running Pianoteq and sometimes Native Instruments Noire. It's a combination I'm really happy with, and feel the only way to upgrade would be a foray into the Hybrid arena, or an actual acoustic instrument.

The cost of a used GP300 + Pianoteq + nice headphones is an awful lot less than a new GP510, for instance, let alone an NU1x or N1x.

Nice.
How about using the internal speaker for the Vst ?
Have you tried another vst, beside pianoteq and noire, with the internal speakers?

Last edited by Otavio; 06/02/20 12:57 PM.
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Only one of them is an "actual hybrid". The Casio is just a "marketing hybrid".

This is of course debatable and a matter of taste and definition, but the Casio does not have an action of a real acoustic piano.
Why the Casio does not have an action of a real acoustic piano? They keyboard is supposed to be made by Bechstein.

Casio do have work to do for the instrument to become a serious competitor to Kawai and Yamaha's current offerings.
But GP510 is far less expensive than NU1X or Novus NV5.

In the range between $4000 and $5000 wich DP would you buy?

Last edited by Sol Finker; 06/23/20 03:01 PM.

Jaime CLP-645
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission