2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
47 members (computerpro3, chopinetto, AZNpiano, amyram, AWilley, AprilE, dhull100, 10 invisible), 441 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
COVID and the future of concerts?
#2985493 05/29/20 03:52 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
What's the future of concerts, classical, jazz, folk, given that concert halls, churches, etc., are (apparently) great incubators for spreading the virus?

I have to wonder how many small and large bands in all branches of music--whose bread and butter is the live concert--will hold up financially?

I don't worry quite so much about big name recording artists and bands, because they'll always have their online sales (arguably). But the other folks, I really worry about them.

Performers and the whole culture of the live concert survived the Spanish flu, but they weren't competing with the virtual world.

Last edited by johnlewisgrant; 05/29/20 03:55 PM.

J. S. Bach Well-tempered Clavier, complete preludes and fugues (with significant MIDI analysis):

https://soundcloud.com/johnlgrant

https://www.youtube.com/user/dohgrant/playlists (slightly better sound quality)

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: COVID and the future of concerts?
johnlewisgrant #2985498 05/29/20 04:01 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
It's too early to know. Everything's out of commission in the concert halls and performance venues of any size and scope.

Honestly, it's also something I don't really want to discuss on PW, as it's something I face in my daily work (as I type this, I'm about to judge the next round of virtual festival auditions happening online in Nashville). So much of the joy of my existence as a teacher or performer is bringing students to experience the magic of really good live performances, in the halls.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
johnlewisgrant #2985520 05/29/20 04:57 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I really miss it, that's for sure. 🙁

I haven't subscribed to our symphony yet because we have no idea of there will even be a season. I hope so, but I don't have the money to put down on something that might be cancelled again (3 performances were cancelled since this started and all I could get back was a gift card, which I felt was wrong; we should be owed 3 more performances but whatever).

UB School of Music continued with Zoom concerts, which were nice, but of course there's nothing like being there in person.

I miss so many things right now! Yesterday we drove 2 hours to Erie PA to go shopping, lol. WNY is supposed to go to phase 2 this Tuesday. I'm sure we'll get to a full reopening, and I certainly want my fellow humans to be safe and healthy so I'm trying to be patient. I just miss everything including my teacher. ❤️

Lisa

Playing RCM 7 & 8 repertoire
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP & CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
johnlewisgrant #2985529 05/29/20 05:40 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
I’m a big Tafelmusik guy, and that Toronto Baroque band is first and foremost a LIVE music operation. I told them to keep my ticket purchase/cash refund. I can only hope that some of the big corporate donors can provide cash and/or banks with bridge-financing of some kind (current levels of corporate debt notwithstanding and Canadian Banks suspending or cutting dividends). Once we get through this, and I know we will, eventually, these bands are going to have to regroup. We’re rescuing giant companies, but the little guys (which includes many orchestras) aren’t on that list.

Last edited by johnlewisgrant; 05/29/20 05:41 PM.

J. S. Bach Well-tempered Clavier, complete preludes and fugues (with significant MIDI analysis):

johnlewisgrant #2985636 05/30/20 04:22 AM
O
O
Both performers and audience are missing the thrill of a real concert.

Austria probably introduced the harsh containment strategy after identifying that an Austrian huge ski resort bar was one of the hotspots of the international virus spread. The 'lockdown' began in early March and it turned that it wasn't one week to early.

Parallel to that, however, there were strategic plans that were developed in close collaboration with epidemiologists and statisticians and by now we have returned to opening the country in a way that makes it possible to identify and contain local hotspots and we are returning to some kind of normality that includes cultural life. Restaurants are open, albeit under strict rules, but even these are taken back step by step after careful evaluation.

And concert halls are open as of yesterday as well as cinemas, theatres, weddings can take place etc. In the beginning there are strict limitations on the number of people in closed spaces, i.e. only 100 persons until mid June, after that it's 250 and in fact, I have spoken to the spokespersson of the Vienna Konzerthaus who very carefully showed some optimism that the season staring in September will be played with all concerts in all halls. Restrictions will be in place and probably focus on those spaces where people stand close together and talk to each other at small distances.

I believe they will try to adjust the beginning and intermissions of the various concerts over the day (There are four different halls in the Konzerthaus) in order to avoid congestion at the entries and exits as well as the bar, wardrobe and open vestibule areas.

I haven't checked with the Musikverein, but I expect a similar approach there as well as in the state opera, the Volksoper, the Burgtheater and all other large venues. I feel really comforted by the fact that the importance of cultural affairs in this city and country were recognized as such and we have found a way to not only deal with the critical situation in the hospitals, but also offering a positive outlook into all aspects of people's activities tthat bring them comfort in their spare time, be it sports, visiting the zoo - or attending a concert.

johnlewisgrant #2985752 05/30/20 10:46 AM
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Interesting about Vienna. I had booked a trip to Leipzig for the Bach Festival, which was cancelled about a month ago. I would have arrived there yesterday, which might have been OK after all! Cost me a lot, because I'm out the insurance fee, which is significant. Not sure Air Canada is even flying to Leipzig, yet. Etc., etc... Pianists who depend on the concert circuit will have to rely on university and other forms of teaching (if that's even an option) for income. At least those environments can be made to conform to distancing guidelines, etc. I wonder, of course, whether the "second-wave" is in inevitable and whether by fall we won't be forced into hibernation for another month +.

In Canada and the northern U.S. we're sort of accustomed to this, inasmuch as winter keeps a lot of folks indoors for long periods of time. The difference, of course, is that normally you're still working and earning an income. Not the case, this time. That's a huge difference.

johnlewisgrant #2985764 05/30/20 11:01 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Pacific Opera Victoria (POV) has cancelled its 2020-2021 season; the Victoria Symphony Orchestra has suspended their 2020-2021 Season and Ballet Victoria has cancelled all performances "until further notice."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
johnlewisgrant #2985768 05/30/20 11:05 AM
J
J
The music industry took a dive after movies, the movies industry took a dive after games. Music will always be present, but to what extent will it be the highlight.

Young people who grow up with internet consider it a great cost to put on pants in the morning, get out of bed and go-somewhere. You want to drag these-people to a concert, when they can listen to the music at home, with no pants?

The majority of music venues are merely springboards for human-dating. Absent that, there are the music-purists, but they are of a rare breed these days. I don't think big live music will go extinct, but it should only continue to diminish.

Last edited by jeffcat; 05/30/20 11:05 AM.
johnlewisgrant #2985783 05/30/20 11:33 AM
B
B
Playing in empty halls for a radio audience might be the solution - taken here by the BBC, starting on Monday. All concerts will be broadcast live. Stephen Hough starts the proceedings at 1200 GMT (www.bbc.co.uk/radio3):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jpjm

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
terminaldegree #2985825 05/30/20 01:14 PM
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
It will be back. Maybe not in full force for another year, but it will be back. There is no substitute for hearing great live, unamplified acoustic music. We have a very small series at PianoCraft ( we only seat 75 people ) and the amount of emails I have gotten from artist and audience alike expressing how much they miss it and can't wait for it to start up again has kind of amazed me.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Keith D Kerman #2985861 05/30/20 03:41 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Maybe 2019 and 2020 is a better time in history to weather a pandemic. New artists are setting up recording studios in their bedrooms, like Billie Ellish’s first album. If we need to stay in quarantine it’s certainly nice to have Zoom, Google Meet, and virtual concerts where we can still enjoy music together. Certainly not as magical as live performances but magical enough for paid subscribers. Our church put all the Bible studies, worship services and even children’s bible lessons online. Thankfully they have a technically trained worship staff that operates an impressive remote training and worship program for those church members who cannot attend. With the pandemic, many face to face activities are forced to happen online. I’ve always hated video conferencing and FaceTime but I’m getting forced to accept using my phone to record myself and brace to view myself on video. Live concerts will return because humans typically hate isolation.

Last edited by j&j; 05/30/20 03:45 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
johnlewisgrant #2985862 05/30/20 03:43 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I certainly don’t mind suddenly getting movie premieres in my living room.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
johnlewisgrant #2985869 05/30/20 04:13 PM
D
Platinum Subscriber
Online Content
Platinum Subscriber
D
I agree that live music venues will certainly be back. Unthinkable that such a tradition could be destroyed as long as humans remain here. I certainly acknowledge that it is a difficult time for artists. I’m far from claiming there is any silver lining, but it will be interesting to look back on this time to see what sort of creativity was spurred.

johnlewisgrant #2985887 05/30/20 05:16 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Well travel may even be suspended, or with high risk until vaccines and cures are found for this virus. Travel insurance will increase in cost. Performers need to travel ? Could this go on till 2023 ,
or longer ,we just do not know ?
Perhaps summer outdoor concerts?, Tricky and expensive getting a piano outdoors.

johnlewisgrant #2985916 05/30/20 06:24 PM
M
M
My usual question-- will people celebrate normality by going back to the mall and doing all the things they did before, or will this 'time out' period force some reflection, and encourage trading up to things that they really prefer?

I.e., fewer edible frisbees and tacky t-shirts, replaced by more intimate recitals and other personal/intellectual gatherings? Or will YouTube have displaced the live product in everyone's habits?

johnlewisgrant #2985940 05/30/20 07:42 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Lennie
Why are you assuming that some don’t prefer mall Shopping to music? Some prefer the mall environment to intimate gatherings—— and that is not likely to change. Music may gain a few converts but don’t expect a stampede.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Maestro Lennie #2985941 05/30/20 07:45 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
My usual question-- will people celebrate normality by going back to the mall and doing all the things they did before, or will this 'time out' period force some reflection, and encourage trading up to things that they really prefer?

I.e., fewer edible frisbees and tacky t-shirts, replaced by more intimate recitals and other personal/intellectual gatherings? Or will YouTube have displaced the live product in everyone's habits?
What do you buy at the Mall ,Lennie?
I would not trust an edible Frisbee ,but I am sure my dog would love it. By the way you should try going to a recital in a T shirt, you never know what may happen ....

Last edited by Lady Bird; 05/30/20 07:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Maestro Lennie #2985945 05/30/20 08:08 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
My usual question-- will people celebrate normality by going back to the mall and doing all the things they did before, or will this 'time out' period force some reflection ... ? [...]

Putting mall shopping aside, I surmise, from what I am hearing, that many people are going to be very hesitant about "doing all the things they did before" or at least hesitant to do those things in the same way they did them before. I think some cultural organizations may be concerned about whether or not their regular subscribers will eagerly come back in the numbers those organizations had known before the pandemic. So many subscribers to cultural events are older people, hence more vulnerable and more hesitant.

That said, it appears that there are many on the other side of the fence who are already doing things they did before, including congregating in large, condensed groups with little regard for protective masks or social distancing.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and whether we ever get back to normal or whether we will need to adapt to a "new normal."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #2986071 05/31/20 09:10 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
At least for me, I’ve always detested airline travel especially going by myself. Airlines have been squeezing people closer and closer so that even smaller framed people are uncomfortable. Crowded to capacity subways? Even the new Uber and ride share options seem rather scary. Going on an ocean cruise line seems high danger with popular cruise lines parked off the Florida coast have to keep passengers on board with others who test positive for COVID-19. Things will be different.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
johnlewisgrant #2986098 05/31/20 10:00 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Sadly, airline travel has resumed but the seat configuration has not changed. Some airlines are not filling the middle seats right now, but some are still filling 100% of all seats. Very frightening. The company I work for has resumed business travel —- but has issued PPE equipment (!!!)

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dark Souls 3 Piano Transcription
by Andrew Gilpin - 07/06/20 11:25 PM
Mozart thread
by chopinetto - 07/06/20 09:08 PM
Kawai new product 7/15
by Learux - 07/06/20 08:59 PM
Thoughts on the Chopin Concerto
by samwitdangol - 07/06/20 08:24 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,083
Posts2,977,716
Members97,687
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission