2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2985213 05/28/20 11:05 PM
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I am looking for people’s experiences with this online service

How helpfull is it compared to playing a methode like alfred withouth a teacher. Or compared to software like PianoMarvel?

Its for a friend who can’t afford a piano teacher. Who is currently struggling with Alfred level 5.

Bachus #2985252 05/29/20 02:04 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
It sounds like your friend is Intermediate level, which is beyond my current level, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

Given that they are struggling with the book, really, the best thing would be a teacher, but of course, they don't have that option.

If they are all the way up to Alfred Level 5, I don't think Pianote sounds like the way to go either... Pianote looks like fun but appears to be more casual and more on the Pop side of things. It sounds like a step back for your friend.

Perhaps your friend might consider the ProPractice video course instead:

https://www.joshwrightpiano.com/
https://joshwrightpiano.teachable.com/

You can wait for a sale or probably request a discount code.

navindra #2985311 05/29/20 06:09 AM
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
It sounds like your friend is Intermediate level, which is beyond my current level, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

Given that they are struggling with the book, really, the best thing would be a teacher, but of course, they don't have that option.

If they are all the way up to Alfred Level 5, I don't think Pianote sounds like the way to go either... Pianote looks like fun but appears to be more casual and more on the Pop side of things. It sounds like a step back for your friend.

Perhaps your friend might consider the ProPractice video course instead:

https://www.joshwrightpiano.com/
https://joshwrightpiano.teachable.com/

You can wait for a sale or probably request a discount code.

Being on the pop/jazz/blues side of things is probably where he is aiming at..

The reason he is stuck at level 5 might be because he neglected his technique and needs to repeat much of that... he is looking for a methode that helps him improve the base like 2 hand coordination and scales in a fun way..

Bachus #2985314 05/29/20 06:12 AM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Bachus
You might also post this on the non-classical forum. Just let them know you friend’s interests and need for a program.

Bachus #2985901 05/30/20 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Bachus
I am looking for people’s experiences with this online service

How helpfull is it compared to playing a methode like alfred withouth a teacher. Or compared to software like PianoMarvel?

Its for a friend who can’t afford a piano teacher. Who is currently struggling with Alfred level 5.

I use Piano Marvel and Pianote. I am almost finished with level 3 on PM. When I started I was using Pianote, but it was a bit much, as I am quite new. Now I find that learning the songs is quite a bit easier. They are quite present with helping you. They have several different teachers that cover most genres. Lisa (pop) Cassi (classical) Brett (blues/gospel) Jordan (Jazz). What I like most about Pianote is that you can submit a video weekly for review by the teachers. They will give you feedback on what they see in the video. This has been most helpful for me, as I do not have a personal teacher. Definitely worth checking out. They also offer a 90 day, yes I said a 90 day 100% money back guarantee. You can't go wrong!

Yamaha P515
Bachus #2985919 05/30/20 06:27 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Bachus, have you considered ArtistWorks? They have 3 piano courses, popular, classical or jazz. Like Pianote, you can also send in recordings to get teacher feedback. They offer 3 months, 6 months and 1 year subscriptions. Don’t get scared by the price. If you sign up for their emails, they’ll send you a discount code. For example, I got a 25% discount code for a course I’m considering. The 1- year subscription is also currently $100 off. I think it’s worth a consideration.

https://artistworks.com/piano-lessons

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/30/20 06:28 PM.

Kawai K500
WeakLeftHand #2986025 05/31/20 06:25 AM
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Bachus, have you considered ArtistWorks? They have 3 piano courses, popular, classical or jazz. Like Pianote, you can also send in recordings to get teacher feedback. They offer 3 months, 6 months and 1 year subscriptions. Don’t get scared by the price. If you sign up for their emails, they’ll send you a discount code. For example, I got a 25% discount code for a course I’m considering. The 1- year subscription is also currently $100 off. I think it’s worth a consideration.

Haven’t seen any positive reviews ( or any at all) yet..
Atleast people using pianote generally seem happy
And they keep adding new content and excersises..

Bachus #2986141 05/31/20 12:08 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Bachus
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

Haven’t seen any positive reviews ( or any at all) yet..
Atleast people using pianote generally seem happy
And they keep adding new content and excersises..

I think there are a couple of forum members here who have tried the ArtistWorks piano courses who can give you their thoughts. I’ve heard ArtistWorks mentioned on the board on many occasions. The popular piano course teacher, Hugh Sung, definitely knows what he’s doing. He’s classically trained (Curtis Institute). I would love to take a lesson from him but unfortunately, he teaches the pop piano course, not the classical or jazz, which are my preferences.

On another music forum (not piano) the platform itself has good reviews. People really like the Video Exchange Program and comment that issues the platform had previously (not very responsive) had been resolved.

Not trying to sway you one way or another. Just trying to offer an alternative for your consideration, that’s all. Good luck with your search.

Kawai K500

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission