2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
48 members (chopinetto, 36251, AmDG, Dago987, blueviewlaguna., CoogerTown, 14 invisible), 452 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bed Bug Heat Treatment - Effect on Piano in the House
#2984792 05/27/20 09:00 PM
E
eme1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi, we have the unfortunate situation of finding bed bugs have somehow gotten into our home and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with using heat treatment services for dealing with this problem in a home with a piano. With this treatment they raise the temperature inside the home to 120 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8 hours which kills all of the bugs (fingers crossed). We have an old upright Heinzman in the house and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has had this done with a piano in the house or are aware of someone who has. If so, did they do anything special, like wrap the piano in blankets or leave trays of water around the piano, which I've heard of to try to address the loss of humidity in the house with the high temperatures? Was there any damage to the piano? I expect the piano would need tuning afterwards but was there any damage like cracking the sound board? Thanks in advance!

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Bed Bug Heat Treatment - Effect on Piano in the House
eme1970 #2984798 05/27/20 09:27 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by eme1970
Hi, we have the unfortunate situation of finding bed bugs have somehow gotten into our home and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with using heat treatment services for dealing with this problem in a home with a piano. With this treatment they raise the temperature inside the home to 120 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8 hours which kills all of the bugs (fingers crossed). We have an old upright Heinzman in the house and I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has had this done with a piano in the house or are aware of someone who has. If so, did they do anything special, like wrap the piano in blankets or leave trays of water around the piano, which I've heard of to try to address the loss of humidity in the house with the high temperatures? Was there any damage to the piano? I expect the piano would need tuning afterwards but was there any damage like cracking the sound board? Thanks in advance!
This sounds like a horror story ! I hope you find a solution.

Lady Bird #2984802 05/27/20 09:34 PM
E
eme1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
It sure is! We have no idea where they came from. We haven’t been anywhere in two months or had anyone over and they just appeared last week. 🥺

eme1970 #2984804 05/27/20 09:41 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Here's a past thread on bedbugs and pianos.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Lady Bird #2984805 05/27/20 09:57 PM
E
eme1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
It sure is! We have no idea where they came from. We haven’t been anywhere in two months or had anyone over and they just appeared last week. 🥺

MarkL #2984806 05/27/20 10:04 PM
E
eme1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you!

eme1970 #2984821 05/27/20 11:33 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I doubt the high temperature for a short period of time would harm the piano much, if any; but 120* F is pretty warm. Is there a chemical pest control treatment available for bed bugs? An aerosol spray bomb/fogger treatment?

I'm just curious, how did you all find out you had an infestation of bed bugs in your home? I've read about the problem of bed bugs and how it is more common than most people realize.

Sorry you are having this issue, and hope you can get it resolved completely.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
eme1970 #2984829 05/28/20 12:31 AM

A friend of mine got them a few years ago. Traced it to possibly a book they picked up. Can’t remember if it was from the library or a used book store, but it was not a new book. Something to look into maybe? Sorry she did not have piano... so I cant help there. And, I don’t know what treatment she did. She was in an apartment building in Brooklyn, NY. I’m guessing the building management did a spraying, but not sure.

So sorry, hope you get them exterminated without too much hassle.

Last edited by Oddsox; 05/28/20 12:32 AM.

The piano ain’t got no wrong notes.
~ Thelonious Monk
Rickster #2984836 05/28/20 01:07 AM
E
eme1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi Rick, out of the blue two weeks ago bites just started showing up on me. Didn’t know what they were from and hadn’t seen any bugs in the house. Then about 4 days later there were bed bugs in my sons bed. We took apart his bed and they had taken hold in the bed frame and mattress. We haven’t seen any in any other part of the house but I keep getting new bites about every second day. My son and husband aren’t getting bites or at least aren’t reacting to them the way I am.

As for the chemical treatment option, it sounds like that’s become less effective needing repeat treatments as the bugs have become resistant to them over the years. The heat treatment also seems more environmentally friendly and healthier.

Last edited by eme1970; 05/28/20 01:07 AM. Reason: Typo
Oddsox #2984957 05/28/20 09:44 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Oddsox

A friend of mine got them a few years ago. Traced it to possibly a book they picked up. Can’t remember if it was from the library or a used book store, but it was not a new book. Something to look into maybe? Sorry she did not have piano... so I cant help there. And, I don’t know what treatment she did. She was in an apartment building in Brooklyn, NY. I’m guessing the building management did a spraying, but not sure.

Yes I heard a story of a woman who visited a library ,came home ,discovered 1 bed bug on her coat.
she had been sitting in a library.,so had quite a few homeless people !
The result was she had to have her whole apartment treated ,when she mentioned
this experience to her doctor.(he was no doubt afraid for his clinic )
What can you do ,homeless people do need to go to places as well !

If this piano is really precious to you.I would have the piano moved during this process ,despite the
cost.
Do post this in the technicians forum as well.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 05/28/20 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
eme1970 #2984960 05/28/20 09:48 AM
Hi Rick, out of the blue two weeks ago bites just started showing up on me. Didn’t know what they were from and hadn’t seen any bugs in the house. Then about 4 days later there were bed bugs in my sons bed. We took apart his bed and they had taken hold in the bed frame and mattress. We haven’t seen any in any other part of the house but I keep getting new bites about every second day. My son and husband aren’t getting bites or at least aren’t reacting to them the way I am.

As for the chemical treatment option, it sounds like that’s become less effective needing repeat treatments as the bugs have become resistant to them over the years. The heat treatment also seems more environmentally friendly and healthier.
Hello, and thanks for the response. Yes, I've seen on the news about the bits and red spots on the skin from bed bugs. I've also read they are very small and hard to see with the physical eye, but I guess you can see them if you look close enough.

I've gotten interested in restoring old guitars lately and have purchased a couple off eBay from the mid 1970s. One was particularly dusty on the insides, and I was wondering if I should bring it in my house or leave it in my detached piano shop. But I eventually brought it in my house after I refinished it. I did try to clean out the insides.

But I guess there were no bed bugs (or other critters) in the old guitars, that I'm aware of. But the old guitars sure do sound and play well! smile

What you say about the heat treatment makes sense.

Let us know how the treatment turns out and how the piano holds up. I'm sure the old Heinzman will hold up well.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Lady Bird #2984961 05/28/20 09:50 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by Oddsox

Yes I heard a story of a woman who visited a library ,came home ,discovered 1 bed bug on her coat.
she had been sitting in a library.,so had quite a few homeless people !
The result was she had to have her whole apartment treated ,when she mentioned
this experience to her doctor.(he was no doubt afraid for his clinic )
What can you do ,homeless people do need to go to places as well !

If this piano is really precious to you.I would have the piano moved during this process ,despite the
cost.
Do post this in the technicians forum as well.
Best wishes.

Can’t the piano have an infestation of bed bugs as well?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
eme1970 #2984978 05/28/20 11:02 AM
M
M
You've got pros working on it, but is it also possible for dry ice to have much the same effect? Essentially chasing the oxygen out of the room as it dissolves. Of course, you'd have to give it a few days to do maximum damage to the bugs.

eme1970 #2985142 05/28/20 06:54 PM
E
eme1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for all your posts and I'll let you know how it turns out. We booked the treatment for next week.

Lady Bird #2985145 05/28/20 07:09 PM
E
eme1970 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks Lady Bird. I've been doing some research on bed bugs as of late and unfortunately it sounds like they're becoming a more wide spread problem in all communities. We have a clean house and we haven't had anyone in our house for over two months and we haven't been out more than to the grocery store once a week in two months. It's possible they were introduced somehow before that but there was no indication of them until two weeks ago. It's kind of scarey actually, thinking that they can get in to your house like that.

And thanks for the suggestion of posting on the technicians post. I did that yesterday but no uptake as of yet. Maybe that's a good sign that noone has been called to repair a damaged piano from heat treatment! Take care!

eme1970 #2985157 05/28/20 07:51 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks Lady Bird. I've been doing some research on bed bugs as of late and unfortunately it sounds like they're becoming a more wide spread problem in all communities. We have a clean house and we haven't had anyone in our house for over two months and we haven't been out more than to the grocery store once a week in two months. It's possible they were introduced somehow before that but there was no indication of them until two weeks ago. It's kind of scarey actually, thinking that they can get in to your house like that.

And thanks for the suggestion of posting on the technicians post. I did that yesterday but no uptake as of yet. Maybe that's a good sign that noone has been called to repair a damaged piano from heat treatment! Take care!
Bed Bugs yes very scary !
I think a few of us reading this have heard inexplicable stories of how this pest gets into clean homes !
If you have this "treatment" in your house.Please let us know the outcome.
Best wishes

Last edited by Lady Bird; 05/28/20 07:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
eme1970 #2985163 05/28/20 08:14 PM
We used to tell our two sons at night, when they were children, "Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bedbugs bite". Of course we didn't have bedbugs back then, but they (bedbugs) have been around a long time. smile

I can see where they might develop a resistance to chemical pest control products.

Rick

eme1970 #2985176 05/28/20 08:46 PM
M
M
There's a Far Side cartoon with that. "Confucius at the Office."

eme1970 #2985177 05/28/20 08:46 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Please post how they get the house that hot, there must be heaters in each room. Read your electric meter right before and after they do the treatment, that will tell you how many kilowatts they had to use (and how much your bill will go up that month).

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
eme1970 #2985196 05/28/20 10:12 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
I suspect the exterminators bring their own fueled heaters. In fact, there is probably a lot one can learn from the exterminators, including the effect of the heat on household furnishings, including pianos. They are the ones with experience.

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mozart thread
by chopinetto - 07/06/20 09:08 PM
Kawai new product 7/15
by Learux - 07/06/20 08:59 PM
Thoughts on the Chopin Concerto
by samwitdangol - 07/06/20 08:24 PM
Help! Headphone volume problem.
by Eugene911 - 07/06/20 08:21 PM
Casio CDP-S350 Key Removal
by Rikka Takanashi - 07/06/20 08:05 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,083
Posts2,977,692
Members97,687
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission