2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
52 members (Abdol, Boylan, EVC2017, AWilley, Andymania, CyberGene, CharlesXX, Craig Hair, 7 invisible), 452 guests, and 216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yamaha C6 vs. Yamaha C5 (used)
#2984552 05/27/20 10:45 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I'm planning to purchase a used piano. At the moment I'm hesitating between a Yamaha C6 (1993) and a Yamaha C5 (2003). Both pianos have many wonderful sound qualities and play fantastic. The price is similar, so that is not a decisive point.
Do any of you know what technical differences there are between 1990s Yamaha pianos and the later L models? On the one hand, the C6 has a very spacious sound, but the ten-year younger C5 maybe feels a little more accurate in terms of touch... so i'm really in doubt.
Has Yamaha made major technical innovations during that 10-year period that could be decisive for buying the younger C5?

Thank you so much for your advice!

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Yamaha C6 vs. Yamaha C5 (used)
sologne232 #2984561 05/27/20 10:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
No significant changes during that period, no. Not until the introduction of the Cx series, which was a total game changer for Yamaha.

Originally Posted by sologne232
On the one hand, the C6 has a very spacious sound, but the ten-year younger C5 maybe feels a little more accurate in terms of touch... so i'm really in doubt.

This statement leads me to ask - are you purchasing from a store? If so, have the pianos been regulated and reconditioned? What you describe is attributable to wear and/or a piano that needs action work. Regulation, at the least, may be required to bring the action back into the specs. of adjustment that Yamaha designed it to work within.

Looking forward to hearing more,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Cherry Hill, NJ
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
Rich Galassini #2984596 05/27/20 12:10 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
No significant changes during that period, no. Not until the introduction of the Cx series, which was a total game changer for Yamaha.

Originally Posted by sologne232
On the one hand, the C6 has a very spacious sound, but the ten-year younger C5 maybe feels a little more accurate in terms of touch... so i'm really in doubt.

This statement leads me to ask - are you purchasing from a store? If so, have the pianos been regulated and reconditioned? What you describe is attributable to wear and/or a piano that needs action work. Regulation, at the least, may be required to bring the action back into the specs. of adjustment that Yamaha designed it to work within.

Looking forward to hearing more,

Many thanks for your answer!

Yes, I'm purchasing from a store. The instruments were used for concert rental service. Both instruments were revised 3 years ago. Either way, the difference in responsiveness in toucher is very small.
I'm surprised to read that not much has changed in those ten years...
I've read that the mechanism of c6 / c7 differs from c5 and lower. So c6 would be the better option despite the older age (from a technical point of view)?

sologne232 #2984601 05/27/20 12:22 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Because these instruments are ex concert rental and have been worked on to some extent 3 years ago, the condition of the individual instrument and the quality of the work done is of more importance than whether it's a C5 or C6, in my opinion. Also, 10 years of difference in age, if put into concert/rental service since new, is not insignificant. Make sure the store regulates or voices the piano to your satisfaction before you buy it and take delivery. If it doesn't play well, it could either be worn out, need regulation, or the action work that was done on it was substandard.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
sologne232 #2984876 05/28/20 05:17 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
If the condition was comparable, I'd take the C6 every day of the week. I think the C6 has a much nicer tonal profile than the C5, all things being equal. But if the C6 was showing its age, I'd be leaning towards the C5.

ando #2984931 05/28/20 08:49 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The one person I know who had a C5 at home and then traded up to a C6 was my Yamaha dealer who is an accomplished pianist. This was just before the changes to the Cx series. He did say the sound was significantly fuller and in his opinion well worth the trade up. I didn’t spend much time investigating the difference between the two because new, both pianos were bigger and more expensive than I really wanted to buy.

If they were both new and I had the room and money, I’d take the C6 hands down. Since the pianos you are looking at have been used for concert venues, I’d get an independent technician to inspect both to judge the wear and tear and any refurbishment done to each pianos. Because the C5 is 10 years newer and probably has less wear, I might be leaning towards the C5.

The biggest change in Yamaha C series came around 2012. They upgraded the line to the Cx series, which included improved hammers, strings, and other things. The very interesting difference is some people can hear a very noticeable improvement with the Cx but others, like me, not so much. Go back and play each thoroughly after your piano technician’s inspection. You’ll figure out what you want. I must say, even used, those are both really nice pianos. Best Wishes!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
sologne232 #2984938 05/28/20 09:00 AM
H
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Go with the C6. Since it has been revised 3 years ago it should be in good condition.

j&j #2984997 05/28/20 12:15 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
If they were both new and I had the room and money, I’d take the C6 hands down.

j&j makes important note of the disclaimer about having the appropriate space. I know the C6 is well liked, but it's been my experience with ones from the 90s that the vast majority were screamingly loud and awfully bright...however, most of these pianos were in concert spaces and church sanctuaries. Most of the C5 pianos I've played from the 80s-2000s had a dynamic and tonal profile that seemed better suited to an office, studio, or moderate-sized living room for a pianist.

terminaldegree #2985009 05/28/20 12:50 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Originally Posted by j&j
If they were both new and I had the room and money, I’d take the C6 hands down.

j&j makes important note of the disclaimer about having the appropriate space. I know the C6 is well liked, but it's been my experience with ones from the 90s that the vast majority were screamingly loud and awfully bright...however, most of these pianos were in concert spaces and church sanctuaries. Most of the C5 pianos I've played from the 80s-2000s had a dynamic and tonal profile that seemed better suited to an office, studio, or moderate-sized living room for a pianist.

In my very limited experience, my concern before buying my Yamaha G7 was also that the G7 would be too big and too loud for the space that I had. Luckily, I got the space. Once it was in, I found it funny that G7 was actually quieter than I thought as I could play very soft or loud very easily. The better pianos (usually upper models, at least in Yamaha lineup, in my experience) almost always give you more edge and capability in action/control and sound/tonal quality.

If the conditions and prices are similar, I would just take the bigger piano! You can always play softer or make it sound softer on the bigger piano but you cannot extend the length of those bass strings to get that deep bass sounds on demands on the smaller piano smile

sologne232 #2985021 05/28/20 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by DreamPiano80
In my very limited experience, my concern before buying my Yamaha G7 was also that the G7 would be too big and too loud for the space that I had. Luckily, I got the space. Once it was in, I found it funny that G7 was actually quieter than I thought as I could play very soft or loud very easily. The better pianos (usually upper models, at least in Yamaha lineup, in my experience) almost always give you more edge and capability in action/control and sound/tonal quality.

If the conditions and prices are similar, I would just take the bigger piano! You can always play softer or make it sound softer on the bigger piano but you cannot extend the length of those bass strings to get that deep bass sounds on demands on the smaller piano smile
This has been my experience as well with my Yamaha C7. It is not louder than other, smaller grands I've owned, but richer sounding from top to bottom.

I believe I'd be more inclined to lean toward the C6, but I suggest you get the piano you like best and not what someone else says they may like. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
sologne232 #2985024 05/28/20 01:20 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My comment was not directed at the C7, which is a piano I know quite well over many different decades of production.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Diapason Piano Co. Make "HERO"?
by AliceNew - 07/10/20 08:58 AM
OT: Yes tune
by EVC2017 - 07/10/20 07:58 AM
Recording The CFX Concert Grand ???
by Pianoworldstage - 07/10/20 05:35 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,166
Posts2,979,042
Members97,726
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission