2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
47 members (AmagicalFishy, Anglagard44, chopinetto, blueviewlaguna., aphexdisklavier, anotherscott, 13 invisible), 448 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
What happened to the 'real' Feurich?
#2984248 05/26/20 03:51 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Now, without wanting to cause any controversy, I just want to start off by saying that the current Feurich pianos (former Wendl & Lung) that are being produced in China are good pianos. I haven't had the chance to play very many but the most recent one I played had a very controllable action and decent, well-rounded tone.

When I say "what happened to the real Feurich pianos?", what I mean is what happened to those that were produced in Germany by Julius Feurich and his predecessors in the Feurich family? When it was first announced that Wendl & Lung were to buy Feurich all those years ago, I seem to recall that they said they would maintain production of the German-made Feurich's alongside their 'new' Chinese-made Feurichs but that the focus would be on the development and sale of the Chinese-made variant. This idea of having the German-made Feurichs alongside the Chinese-made never seem to manifest itself and it would appear Wendl & Lung really just bought the name...

Now, after it was clearly established that Feurich, in whatever guise it took, would only be manufacturing pianos out of China and not Germany which led to (what I believe) the following happening: Julius Feurich leaving the company and setting up 'JF Pianos' which were the original German-designed and made Feurichs pre-Wendl & Lung acquisition. I'm not sure exactly how much success Julius Feurich had with this venture as the website no longer exists and there is very little by way of Google search... that said, there is 'JF Hessen' which according to their very basic website is 'original Julius Feurich design built by the Julius Feurich team and made in Germany'. Does anyone know anything about JF Hessen pianos or has even seen one in the flesh?

Of course, the above knowledge I have of Feurich is only a fraction of what I'm sure other Piano World members can tell me. With this in mind, I'd really like to hear from those with the 'know how' knowledge of what happened to the real Feurich? It seems a shame that a piano brand with a somewhat significant amount of history behind it can just be bought up by a Chinese conglomerate and then within years dissipate into nothing...

Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: What happened to the 'real' Feurich?
williambonard #2984514 05/27/20 09:42 AM
P
P
I would also be interested to know who builds the Feurich 123 Vienna model. Does anybody know?
I understand that it is made in Austria, but I don't know if by the "original" workshop, or a 3rd party, or who exactly. Especially that as I understand Feurich was originally made in Germany, not Austria.

williambonard #2984536 05/27/20 10:24 AM
M
M
There is a video put out featuring that piano's construction-- by an English dealer, I think.

williambonard #2984632 05/27/20 01:24 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Actually I know, I wrote a long post, and changed my mind about it.

The short version of the story is that Julius Feurich sold the rights to his company's name to the team who wanted to import pianos from Hailun and have them branded as Feurich (I don't know the difference between a Hailun and a Feurich, sorry). Julius Feurich then tried to keep his *own* factory going and branded the pianos JF, or JF Hessen, found it was too expensive to maintain this, and folded the operation and now works for Seiler.

Joseph Fleetwood #2984663 05/27/20 03:15 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Actually I know, I wrote a long post, and changed my mind about it.

The short version of the story is that Julius Feurich sold the rights to his company's name to the team who wanted to import pianos from Hailun and have them branded as Feurich (I don't know the difference between a Hailun and a Feurich, sorry). Julius Feurich then tried to keep his *own* factory going and branded the pianos JF, or JF Hessen, found it was too expensive to maintain this, and folded the operation and now works for Seiler.

Thanks for this, Joe - your input appreciated as always. The piano buffs amongst us, including myself, would very much have appreciated the long post on this!

It's a shame to hear that the original Julius Feurich pianos are no more and that Julius himself now works for Seiler. I've never had a chance to play one of the German-made Feurichs but I always heard good things about them.

Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
williambonard #2984692 05/27/20 04:15 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There's a market for used original Feurichs in Germany, although it would appear that not all that many are on it right now. Here is a link to a listing of such pianos (only grands, and the page is in German):

Used Feurich grands

EDIT: Please note: there's a chinese Feurich in the listing.

Last edited by QuasiUnaFantasia; 05/27/20 04:17 PM.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite, Production Voices Estate Grand
williambonard #2984695 05/27/20 04:18 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I won't post the long version or share it in a private message because it is based on a very brief conversation I had with Julius Feurich at NAMM, and I don't want to misquote him, nor do I want to get into murky legal territory. I could say something for instance that is not true, and brings down the name of either party.

What I do know is that *everything* that happened was legal, mutual, and above board, and while there is definitely sadness about Feurich no longer being made in Germany, everyone was aware what the possible outcomes were at the start of the venture.

I love premium small-batch European baby grands and uprights - for us over on that continent and Island in small homes and studios, these pianos are a beautiful fit. But small pianos, no matter how well made they are, have limitations, and some of the Asian producers have found ways to produce beautiful products at a small price that while not quite being as refined as the European products, are still excellent instruments in their own right, and with a price tag often being a third or less than the equivalent European piano, have become the most attractive option for many in that market.

A Steinway M or a Blüthner Model 10, or a Bösendorfer 170 is objectively a better piano than a Yamaha GC2, or a Hailun 178, but for most people the prices are enough to drive them in the direction of the Hailun, and the Hailun sounds good enough for many practice situations.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What in the world is this?
by littlefinger - 07/03/20 04:55 PM
Would you mind critiquing my hands?
by AmagicalFishy - 07/03/20 03:32 PM
replacement key top options
by oldMH - 07/03/20 03:09 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,005
Posts2,976,467
Members97,641
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission