2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
7kings Offline OP
OP Offline
I have decided that I've reached the point where, if I really want to progress and become proficient at piano, I need to move beyond self-learning and computer lessons to a live teacher.

I recently discovered that there are live piano teachers that conduct sessions online with a video chat via Skype. This allows them to listen to the playing, visually observe the technique, and provide immediate feedback.

There are a number of attractive benefits to going this route, and I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this sort of arrangement and what sort of feedback you might have about it.

Thanks!
Brian

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Due to COVID-19, many of us who used to have in-person lessons are now doing online lessons. Many of us use Zoom as the platform.

Many will chime in but here's my personal view regarding online lessons:

1) It's not a direct substitute for in-person lessons. I'd say it's a 75-80% substitute. There are certain things that cannot be done, like physical adjustments. And depending on the quality of the technology the teacher and student are using (e.g., internet speed and reliability, mic or no mic, etc.), sometimes audio and/or video can be lacking. This is to be expected.
2) Online lessons are wonderful now, because it means we can still have regular feedback from our teacher even though we cannot go see him/her.
3) For those who can't find a good teacher in their area, I think online lessons are great.

I'd say go for it! I think online lessons are second only to in-person lessons.

Kawai K500
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Due to COVID-19, many of us who used to have in-person lessons are now doing online lessons. Many of us use Zoom as the platform.

Many will chime in but here's my personal view regarding online lessons:

1) It's not a direct substitute for in-person lessons. I'd say it's a 75-80% substitute. There are certain things that cannot be done, like physical adjustments. And depending on the quality of the technology the teacher and student are using (e.g., internet speed and reliability, mic or no mic, etc.), sometimes audio and/or video can be lacking. This is to be expected.
2) Online lessons are wonderful now, because it means we can still have regular feedback from our teacher even though we cannot go see him/her.
3) For those who can't find a good teacher in their area, I think online lessons are great.

I'd say go for it! I think online lessons are second only to in-person lessons.
This. Nothing beats an in-person, one-on-one interaction, where there are no restrictions due to camera angles, mic positioning, latency, bandwidth, etc. But most people do find it is adequate, especially given that no one is doing in person lessons right now and likely won't be for some time.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

C
C
There's also the fact that you might have more options when looking for a good teacher if you can't find one where you live. The online route opens some possibilities in that regard...
Without a good technical setup though (on both sides) and definitely fast internet, this probably wouldn't work very well.

Kawai ES110

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
ArtistWorks has been spamming my inbox with promotionals this week, I think it was $100 for a year's subscription. They forget I'm already subscribed for violin. Maybe you can have a look-see there. Hugh Sung is one of the piano teachers there as I recall.

7kings Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I'm going to give it a shot. At the worst, it's a good interim until I can find a face-to-face teacher, and at best, it may suit me fine for a long-term solution.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Hugh Sung has several videos about setting up for video lessons. One has high- cost suggestio ns, the other has low- cost suggestions.ns

They may be referenced on the Cunningham Pianos website.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
ArtistWorks has been spamming my inbox with promotionals this week, I think it was $100 for a year's subscription. They forget I'm already subscribed for violin. Maybe you can have a look-see there. Hugh Sung is one of the piano teachers there as I recall.

$100 for a year would be a good deal! I just looked and in the jazz piano course, it was $105 for three months.

I have really been wanting to learn more jazz stuff... one of these days.

I signed up, maybe they'll spam me with that kind of promotion! whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I kind of prefer my Face Time music lessons. There are a couple of drawbacks but a big plus is I don't have to drive to and from my lesson.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7kings Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone have suggestions on a good place to find reputable on-line teachers? I've been looking at https://pianoteachersconnect.com/

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
It's true that your online teacher could be _anywhere_.

If I were looking for a teacher, in normal times, I'd ask about the faculty at local community college music departments. If one of them was happy to do on-line lessons, that might be a good place to start.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by 7kings
Anyone have suggestions on a good place to find reputable on-line teachers? I've been looking at https://pianoteachersconnect.com/
I can put in a good word - actually, much MORE than a good word - for Morodiene here on Piano World. I'm a student (not a very good one - my fault) but she is an excellent teacher. And the Zoom lessons work well; I just use my Macbook Air positioned on a table at the treble end of the piano.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by 7kings

That would be my suggestion. Price, alone should dictate that to you.

They are very fairly priced.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I'm in adult group class at a local conservatory. There are 6 in the group. Since March, the conservatory has been shut so the administration got the teacher to hook up with the students through Zoom. The teacher normally has a room at the conservatory for teaching group sessions and privately. She was caught completely unprepared for using Zoom. Her husband got her computer setup with a webcam so that she can continue with the Winter-Spring session until the end of May.

Last week the teacher's computer webcam didn't work so she connected to Zoom with her phone. She couldn't see us but we could see her. The administrator stayed for the entire lesson to give indications if the students wanted to ask questions.

Once the C-19 pandemic dies down, the conservatory will be open again so the teacher & students will have physical contact. Guess after the last few months, our teacher who normally teaches in-person will be more willing to conduct online classes.

Will see...

Otherwise the name that comes up on YouTube is: Piano Lessons On The Web. Tim takes students online.

S
S
1) It's not a direct substitute for in-person lessons. I'd say it's a 75-80% substitute. .

...agree, but the teacher may still charge 100% of their normal fee.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by smautf
1) It's not a direct substitute for in-person lessons. I'd say it's a 75-80% substitute. .

Yes, that’s true but I have no issues with that because we are all in extraordinary times right now and my teacher is really nice. If I can afford to help her, and so far I’m able to, I will. I also send her one-off questions during the week (something I’m stuck on, for example) and she really takes the time to answer me so I really appreciate her.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/26/20 09:49 AM.

Kawai K500
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by smautf

Yes, that’s true but I have no issues with that because we are all in extraordinary times right now and my teacher is really nice. If I can afford to help her, and so far I’m able to, I will. I also send her one-off questions during the week (something I’m stuck on, for example) and she really takes the time to answer me so I really appreciate her.

Yes, because the online lessons take 100% of the teaching time and then some. The expert's time is what you're paying for.

I agree that remote lessons are far better than no lessons. I would not "shop" for them just based on price, though, any more than I would for in-person lessons.

1989 Baldwin R

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission