2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (AndrewJCW, anotherscott, accordeur, Abdol, Adem, AWilley, Beansparrow, 18 invisible), 662 guests, and 555 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: James New Review of Kawai ES-110 "Stunning"
Abdol #2981015 05/19/20 05:12 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Abdol
So what's the gist of this entire thread?

James makes videos and people have varying opinions about them.

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
slipperykeys #2981019 05/19/20 05:24 AM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Now this thread has descended into racist abuse

Sounds like we must have hit page 2!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
RinTin #2981057 05/19/20 08:02 AM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
[Linked Image]

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
RinTin #2983388 05/24/20 04:55 PM
Z
Z
ES-110 doesn't have a USB-to-host MIDI output which is crucial considering that all the cheap DPs even up to 1000$ sound like [censored] unless you hook them up to a PC/VST.
Considering that most people don't have audio interface with the old MIDI din connector, it's a dealbreaker.

The most value from cheap DPs comes from the keyboard action and the ability to hook them up to VST, so whichever cheap DP has the best keyboard (and outputs all the values in 1-127 MIDI velocity range consistently) and is easy to hook up to a PC/external sound module with least amount of latency is the winner ultimately.

zenof #2983422 05/24/20 06:39 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by zenof
ES-110 doesn't have a USB-to-host MIDI output which is crucial considering that all the cheap DPs even up to 1000$ sound like [censored] unless you hook them up to a PC/VST.
Considering that most people don't have audio interface with the old MIDI din connector, it's a dealbreaker.

The most value from cheap DPs comes from the keyboard action and the ability to hook them up to VST, so whichever cheap DP has the best keyboard (and outputs all the values in 1-127 MIDI velocity range consistently) and is easy to hook up to a PC/external sound module with least amount of latency is the winner ultimately.

Hahaha. exactly right. This james may be a bit of a hack, in someone's pocket, smoozing up to his preferred brand to get free review samples.

His opinions are not deeply thought out. I think a better use of his time would be teardown videos, Show us the piano-Guts, and let the more technically minded people decide what it's worth.

Last edited by jeffcat; 05/24/20 06:40 PM.
RinTin #2983439 05/24/20 07:45 PM
RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The ES110 internal samples sound really good, more dynamic and fuller than Yamahas or Roland’s. I use them for daily practice and on professional gigs. It’s not true that VST pianos are needed. I don’t like the latency that external sample libraries introduce.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris and Monty Alexander (1993-present)
RinTin #2983494 05/25/20 01:07 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So, can we now positively say ES110 is the best digital piano?

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
zenof #2983527 05/25/20 04:48 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
ES-110 doesn't have a USB-to-host MIDI output.

That's true, however the ES110 does still have the traditional 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT terminals, so it's relatively easy and inexpensive to use a MIDI-to-USB adapter to connect to USB. I would say it's easier to add USB functionality to an ES110 than it is to add 5-pin MIDI connectivity to a USB-only instrument.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
jeffcat #2983528 05/25/20 04:59 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by jeffcat

Hahaha. exactly right. This james may be a bit of a hack, in someone's pocket, smoozing up to his preferred brand to get free review samples.

His opinions are not deeply thought out. I think a better use of his time would be teardown videos, Show us the piano-Guts, and let the more technically minded people decide what it's worth.

Unless he was speaking something other than english, those pianos have been bought, not given for free and when it was a piano on loan (such as the MP11SE), it was clearly mentioned in the video.
I've used the midi feature and connected wirelessly via bluetootha and with the midi to usb adapter as KJ mentioned and it works just fine.
It works fine with Pianoteq as well if that's someone's pleasure.

P.S When you said "technicaly minded" you probably meant Keyboard Warriors.

Kawai ES110

RinTin #2983567 05/25/20 06:30 AM
F
F
After reading and watching all those reviews on the ES110 I've decided to get my own and try it myself.

And to be honest, I'm very disappointed. I've read many saying that the action is silent, but my neighbors from below tend to disagree. They complain that they hear thumping when I play - not the music. What I have found actually is the loud rebound that the action makes when the keys come back up. It's very apparent when releasing a chord. The other problem with the action I have, probably even more serious to me, is that it's way too light. Because of that it's very hard to control the dynamics while playing, as it's way too easy to press the keys too hard. And the last thing, which is the ultimate no-no for me is the sound. I honestly was expecting something more from this piano - for me it sounds very muddy. The bass notes overpower the treble section which I don't like at all, I wish it would be more clear. Because for me, it sounds like playing on the junkyard toys, smash a can, hit some tinware... Not impressed at all!

As for James' piano reviews, I can't say if they're honest, but what I can say is that they are definitely not unopinionated. His videos are way too long for me, but I guess it makes for more ads revenue for him.

To be honest, the biggest thing I've learned lately is that you cannot judge a piano by others' opinions and reviews. At all. Only you can tell what you will like.

RinTin #2983576 05/25/20 07:01 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
^ Great post 👍🏻

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
RinTin #2983584 05/25/20 07:26 AM
M
M
I think his reviews are good, way better than most, most are just infomercials

FPlays #2983612 05/25/20 09:10 AM
A
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FPlays
After reading and watching all those reviews on the ES110 I've decided to get my own and try it myself.

And to be honest, I'm very disappointed. I've read many saying that the action is silent, but my neighbors from below tend to disagree. They complain that they hear thumping when I play - not the music. What I have found actually is the loud rebound that the action makes when the keys come back up. It's very apparent when releasing a chord. The other problem with the action I have, probably even more serious to me, is that it's way too light. Because of that it's very hard to control the dynamics while playing, as it's way too easy to press the keys too hard. And the last thing, which is the ultimate no-no for me is the sound. I honestly was expecting something more from this piano - for me it sounds very muddy. The bass notes overpower the treble section which I don't like at all, I wish it would be more clear. Because for me, it sounds like playing on the junkyard toys, smash a can, hit some tinware... Not impressed at all!

As for James' piano reviews, I can't say if they're honest, but what I can say is that they are definitely not unopinionated. His videos are way too long for me, but I guess it makes for more ads revenue for him.

To be honest, the biggest thing I've learned lately is that you cannot judge a piano by others' opinions and reviews. At all. Only you can tell what you will like.

Do we have a piano of any kind that isn't noisy? Acoustic pianos are the worst ones when it comes to making noise.

I'm not impressed with your post at all and to be honest with you it is too long too, just like Jame's videos, opinionated and I am very disappointed at you too.

Cheers

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
FPlays #2983632 05/25/20 09:35 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Very disappointing for you.
It may be possible to at least partly redeem the situation in some ways:
- by changing the touch to 'heavy' - it won't alter the feel of the keys but it should mean that they don't play so loud when played gently. That may also overcome the problem of the bass overpowering the rest of the sounds, but if not it would be necessary to alter the way you play to suit it!
- for the sound, changing it to 'dynamic' or 'bright' might do the trick. Is the sound muffled just through the speakers or through headphones as well? It shouldn't be on headphones, but I suspect that one 'has to make allowances for small, low-powered speakers - perhaps play through the hifi, external speakers or something like that.
- the noise problem is rather tricky. There's a thread: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...se-from-hybrid-piano-and-neighbor-e.html on that subject.

Or, of course, perhaps it just isn't the piano for you, or perhaps you have a faulty unit. Either way, if you can't get it to play satisfactorily then sending it back seems the best way forward with it. As you say, it's best to 'try before you buy,' but sometimes that just isn't possible

Not an expert myself, but perhaps others can chime in. Anyway, I hope you get it sorted.

regards
Pete
Abdol #2983672 05/25/20 11:18 AM
F
F
Originally Posted by Abdol

Do we have a piano of any kind that isn't noisy? Acoustic pianos are the worst ones when it comes to making noise.

I'm not impressed with your post at all and to be honest with you it is too long too, just like Jame's videos, opinionated and I am very disappointed at you too.

Cheers

I would not compare acoustic pianos with digital ones, that's a totally different category. You cannot turn down the volume on an acoustic, so the often used argument "you won't hear the action noise because the actual playing is loud" becomes invalid here. We use digital pianos very often specifically because we want them to be quieter than an acoustic.

As for the second part of your post... was that a joke? Because I don't know if you really want an answer to that?

petebfrance #2983685 05/25/20 11:41 AM
F
F
Originally Posted by petebfrance

Very disappointing for you.
It may be possible to at least partly redeem the situation in some ways:
- by changing the touch to 'heavy' - it won't alter the feel of the keys but it should mean that they don't play so loud when played gently. That may also overcome the problem of the bass overpowering the rest of the sounds, but if not it would be necessary to alter the way you play to suit it!
- for the sound, changing it to 'dynamic' or 'bright' might do the trick. Is the sound muffled just through the speakers or through headphones as well? It shouldn't be on headphones, but I suspect that one 'has to make allowances for small, low-powered speakers - perhaps play through the hifi, external speakers or something like that.
- the noise problem is rather tricky. There's a thread: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...se-from-hybrid-piano-and-neighbor-e.html on that subject.

Or, of course, perhaps it just isn't the piano for you, or perhaps you have a faulty unit. Either way, if you can't get it to play satisfactorily then sending it back seems the best way forward with it. As you say, it's best to 'try before you buy,' but sometimes that just isn't possible

Not an expert myself, but perhaps others can chime in. Anyway, I hope you get it sorted.

Thank you for the tips, I will definitely try and see if changing the settings make it a more pleasing experience!

When it comes to the noise, I guess it's about compromise here. No action is perfect, you just choose whichever has the least cons for you.

Choosing an instrument is a very personal thing, no matter if that's a piano or some other instrument. One persons' dream instrument may be an absolute nightmare to play for others. It's always about finding the best fit, player to instrument and vice versa.

Luckily I'm still within the return window and from my experience with the ES110 I'm pretty sure I will be returning it, so probably it's not a match for me.

I think the best possible scenario would be to try all the potential candidates side by side before making any decision, but as you've written, it's all too often not possible, especially these days. And still, playing the pianos at the store may not give the answers you want, as it's a different environment than you'll be using it in later too. But the more you can experience it yourself, the more thankful you will be that you've done it later.

FPlays #2983721 05/25/20 12:25 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
As for the second part of your post... was that a joke? Because I don't know if you really want an answer to that?

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I have a ES8 and it shows the same sort of noise and bounce, despite being more expensive and having an allegedly better action. Annoying when I am practicing some exercises.

Regarding the author of the post you were addressing in that post I briefly quoted, I strongly advise you to just ignore him. His behavior and "contributions" to the forum are mostly those of a troll.

Last edited by EVC2017; 05/25/20 12:28 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
RinTin #2983723 05/25/20 12:29 PM
RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The ES110 action is relatively quiet compared to the action on my Casio PX-360 digital piano. I never notice noisiness coming from the three different ES110 actions I have tested. They are fast and fairly friction stress free which is a good thing for the tendons.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris and Monty Alexander (1993-present)
EVC2017 #2983737 05/25/20 12:41 PM
F
F
Originally Posted by EVC2017
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I have a ES8 and it shows the same sort of noise and bounce, despite being more expensive and having an allegedly better action. Annoying when I am practicing some exercises.

Regarding the author of the post you were addressing in that post I briefly quoted, I strongly advise you to just ignore him. His behavior and "contributions" to the forum are mostly those of a troll.

Thank you. That's interesting, I guess maybe that's just how Kawai does it? I'd love to try out an ES8 but it's unfortunately really hard to get here and to be honest, slightly above my budget currently.

RinTin #2983958 05/26/20 12:42 AM
I think in this price category there are going to be compromises no matter which option you pick. It's just a matter of selecting one that suits your needs and preferences. Maybe the Kawai has a loud rebound noise, maybe the Yamaha doesn't feel as much like an acoustic etc. but in the end you need to pick what suits you. I've nearly gone mad (not really), stuck inside, watching reviews and demos, reading forums, but until I can go out to a store and try them out I'll never really know what the best option is for me.

About James' videos. I think its great to get the perspective of a classical musician on so many digital pianos. Sure, it would be better if he knew each piano inside and out before criticizing the user experience. And sure, he might have preferences and biases, like anyone else, but imo its clear he is not getting paid to review or say anything. I know he moderates his comments, and I do find it a little troubling the extent of moderation people are reporting in this thread. He might be sensitive to criticism or want to keep his comments clear of arguments. Either way I still find his videos informative.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kurzweil ka130 vs Casio px770 vs...
by Ninchie007 - 01/18/21 04:45 PM
Refurb or Trade for a Rebuild
by brdwyguy - 01/18/21 04:22 PM
VST Spreadsheet not Available on Sticky Thread
by Harpuia - 01/18/21 02:57 PM
Roland FP Advice
by LongTimeNoSee - 01/18/21 01:49 PM
Expanding Voices for a Digital Piano - Keep it SIMPLE
by Steve Wild - 01/18/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,365
Posts3,048,581
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission