2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
55 members (Beagle21, accordeur, 36251, Brendan, AjinoRegret, Boboulus, 15 invisible), 514 guests, and 461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Keyboard Variant Joke
Retsacnal #2974139 05/02/20 04:11 PM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Three or four stations! Luxury! smile

We had two, but only one came in with a reasonably decent picture. The other was kind of hit-and-miss. I remember being disappointed a few times when the latest episode of something or other was on and I just couldn't get a picture.

I was just thinking about the weatherman on the tv news. Did your weatherman use a felt board? I remember there being a felt board with a regional map printed on it and the weatherman had little felt suns and clouds and lightning bolts that he put on the board as he was describing the current weather and the forecast.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Retsacnal #2982953 05/23/20 06:49 PM
D
D
A Catholic congregation was establishing a new parish. They were having trouble agreeing on a name, and couldn't find an organist. They couldn't find an organist, but finally found an accordion player who agreed to provide music for all their services. So, they called the parish "Our Lady of Spain"

j&j #2982983 05/23/20 08:48 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by j&j
Interesting recollections. I’m trying to imagine Happy Days and Bonanza in German. smile
You should go to the October Beer festival !
In 2014 we were in Germany ,and ended up visiting Munich during the "October Beer Fest"
(we thought we could avoid the Beer Fest ) What we saw were all these men and women all over the place in Bavarian costumes.

Of course the day came when we sat with a jolly crowd of German's ,drinking beer and eating some type of enormous sausage.Even though we looked ,like typical tourist's we were in included in the merry making.It was fun I suppose but also rather strange.
Some German's in Berlin thought the Munich Beer Fest was all rather vulgar.Actually the whole Beer
Fest had set off dark overtones ,we would rather not have thought about.

However the moral of the story is yes German's certainly do know how to be happy just like other people. Everyone seemed well behaved except for one or two humorous (or sad) events.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 05/23/20 08:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Retsacnal #2983008 05/23/20 11:31 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
You should go to the October Beer festival !
In 2014 we were in Germany ,and ended up visiting Munich during the "October Beer Fest"
(we thought we could avoid the Beer Fest ) What we saw were all these men and women all over the place in Bavarian costumes.

Of course the day came when we sat with a jolly crowd of German's ,drinking beer and eating some type of enormous sausage.Even though we looked ,like typical tourist's we were in included in the merry making.It was fun I suppose but also rather strange.
Some German's in Berlin thought the Munich Beer Fest was all rather vulgar.Actually the whole Beer
Fest had set off dark overtones ,we would rather not have thought about.

However the moral of the story is yes German's certainly do know how to be happy just like other people. Everyone seemed well behaved except for one or two humorous (or sad) events.
Sounds like you and your husband are well traveled, Lady Bird.

In regards to the Munich October Beer Fest, it has been my experience in life that where there is alcohol consumption going on there is bound to be trouble. Alcohol makes some people happy, some people sad, and some people want to fight. My mantra is that if you want to get beat up, cut up or shot up, go to a bar. Well, some bars anyway. smile

Sorry, both my grandfathers (and other family members) were alcoholics and I have seen first hand what alcoholism can do. Also, sorry again, I can't seem to extract a joke out of excessive alcohol consumption or alcoholism. It just ain't funny. Those who can drink in moderation, more power to them, but they are still playing with fire.

Of course alcoholism and drunkenness doesn't affect everyone the same. I saw a video of Jerry Lee Lewis performing while intoxicated, and had a large mug of beer beside the piano. He was pretty close to being sloppy drunk, but he never missed a beat or a note on the piano.

Sorry again, cause I can't think of a keyboard joke at the moment. Usually, someone else is always insulted while being the brunt of the joke, and in the case of this thread, either banjo players or accordian players.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
j&j #2983022 05/24/20 12:40 AM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Interesting recollections. I’m trying to imagine Happy Days and Bonanza in German. smile

This is going way back, but I recall Hop Sing (? the cook?) on Bonanza speaking German with a Chinese accent. Of course, I mean the voice that was dubbed over the original actor's. And the voice chosen for Joanie on Happy Days always creeped me out. It struck me as a very sultry, overly sexualized voice. I was barely a teen, so it was many years later in Happy Days reruns that I realized that often Joanie's remarks were a little edgy. Stll, the voice seemed more like a middle-aged prostitute than a teenaged girl (IMO).

“Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer,
and pour out my despair at the piano.”

-Frederic Chopin
Retsacnal #2983023 05/24/20 12:55 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
Rickster
Yes I do agree with you. We do not really drink alcohol except 2 glases of wine (1/2 glass in my case) So what I was trying to say in my post is that when we went to Munich ,the timing just happened to conside with the the October Beer Fest. We were not really into the whole Beer drinking
aspect. However when we arrived in Munich all these people in these Bavarian costumes were absolutely everywhere. So went our usual rout of art and history museums ,eventually we went to this huge park like area and were overwhelmed by men in feather hats ,and shorts ,women in cutsie short skirts ,frilly white blouses.
There were some huge tents and long tables ,all these people drinking out of beer out of huge mugs warming huge sausage's.
We had walked for such a long distance and had not yet had lunch.Even though I try not to eat red meat we ended up at a table and yes I had half a mug of beer and half a sausage ! What else can I say ? We were hot ,hungry and thirsty.We never saw any bad behavior except for 2 rather sad people
who ended up intoxicated.I did notice police presence however.
Sorry no beer jokes here.There accordions and singing however.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 05/24/20 01:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Retsacnal #2983024 05/24/20 01:10 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
I thought to clarify 2 glasses of wine twice a week ! A half a glass for me twice a week.Since Covid 19 we no longer have any alcohol as we do not want to line up outside of a liquor store.
What was the joke about the accordion again.....

Rickster #2983028 05/24/20 01:18 AM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
In regards to the Munich October Beer Fest, it has been my experience in life that where there is alcohol consumption going on there is bound to be trouble. Alcohol makes some people happy, some people sad, and some people want to fight. My mantra is that if you want to get beat up, cut up or shot up, go to a bar. Well, some bars anyway. smile

Sorry, both my grandfathers (and other family members) were alcoholics and I have seen first hand what alcoholism can do. Also, sorry again, I can't seem to extract a joke out of excessive alcohol consumption or alcoholism. It just ain't funny. Those who can drink in moderation, more power to them, but they are still playing with fire.

Of course alcoholism and drunkenness doesn't affect everyone the same. I saw a video of Jerry Lee Lewis performing while intoxicated, and had a large mug of beer beside the piano. He was pretty close to being sloppy drunk, but he never missed a beat or a note on the piano.

Sorry again, cause I can't think of a keyboard joke at the moment. Usually, someone else is always insulted while being the brunt of the joke, and in the case of this thread, either banjo players or accordian players.

Rick

I've seen alcohol (and drugs) ravage people and families. I've had a number of extended family members and friends who destroyed their lives with alcohol or drugs. It's doubly sad when it impacts other family members, kids in particular. My mom struggled with alcohol for a few years after my dad left her and married a woman half his age. Fortunately she stopped drinking and remained sober for the rest of her life.

All the years I lived in Germany, I never acquired a taste for beer. But, FWiW, I can attest to the fact that you can have fun at the Octoberfest without drinking, and many people nurse one of those massive mugs all night long. Besides the beer tents, Octoberfest also has lots of other activities. It's basically a Fall festival, with rides, food, games, etc. Fall harvest festivals are traditionally pretty common across Europe. When I lived in the French region of Switzerland, they had the fête de Vendanges, which is basically a grape harvest festival. Historically, people celebrated the harvest and blew off steam before the Winter cold set in.

-Frederic Chopin
Lady Bird #2983036 05/24/20 01:33 AM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
I thought to clarify 2 glasses of wine twice a week ! A half a glass for me twice a week.Since Covid 19 we no longer have any alcohol as we do not want to line up outside of a liquor store.

I think in moderation it's ok. I was never a big drinker, and by the time I went to work in Switzerland in my early thirties, I'd quit altogether. But wine is fairly ingrained into the lifestyle of the French region, and it was basically impolite not to have a glass. I discovered that I kind of liked a nice red or red blend. I still don't drink much, but do enjoy an occasional glass. Two makes me sleepy. White just knocks me out.

What was the joke about the accordion again.....

Can I interest anyone in an accordjo or a banjoridan? wink

-Frederic Chopin
Retsacnal #2983041 05/24/20 01:41 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
Yes I cannot say I saw anything really wrong.The 2 intoxicated were part of a massive crowd.While we were there the one person was being helped by a friend.It was festive ,folk songs sung and people were courteous to obvious strangers like us ,making a place for us at the table and being really friendly.
So perhaps October Beer Fest (if that's the correct name sounds like overindulgence) But then sometimes some people are guilty of that here as well --at Christmas.

But I agree alcohol can bring a great deal of misery to many good people.That is true and no joke !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 05/24/20 01:43 AM. Reason: Missing word
Retsacnal #2983048 05/24/20 01:50 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I've tried to describe the old TV's to my girls, and their friends. The big channel wheel, and manually changing stations: ka-chunk, ka-chunck, ka-chunk...

It blows their minds that most towns only had three or four stations. Cartoons only on Saturday mornings. Or that your favorite shows only broadcast once a week at a specific time. The disappointment of a "re-run" is lost on a generation that has on-demand TV (where virtually everything is a rerun).

Our first TV was also black and white. In those days it was immediately known who owned a TV by the 20- or 30-foot TV antenna on the roof; that was the only means of reception at the time. Being a sea-side community, sometimes during winter storms the TV antennas would get coated with salt spray which interfered with reception, such as it was. So, it was not unusual, following a wind storm, to see neighbours outside "watering" their roof-top antennas with their garden hose in an attempt to wash of the salt spray.

I used to tell our neighbours that our 30-foot antenna was 10 feet taller than their 20-foot antenna because I watered ours more often! smile

Cheers,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #2983134 05/24/20 08:50 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As a baby boomer our TVs were black and white (only one at a time of course) were consoles with cabinetry to match the furniture. We had a big antenna on the roof. We lived in central New Jersey so we could easily get local stations from both New York City and Philadelphia, so we got the basic 4: NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS plus 4 or 5 additional stations. When I moved to the Southwest, only got the basic 4 channels. Reception was mediocre in areas because of the mountains so I splurged in the late eighties and got cable. With all the streaming available now, it’s still 257 channels to watch but nothing’s on. laugh

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
Retsacnal #2983184 05/24/20 10:18 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
Respect the accordian-- no what was that about an onion ?

https://youtu.be/9SE222v1eyM

Last edited by Lady Bird; 05/24/20 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Retsacnal #2983196 05/24/20 10:48 AM
Online Content
I was trying to say in my post is that when we went to Munich ,the timing just happened to conside with the the October Beer Fest. We were not really into the whole Beer drinking
aspect. However when we arrived in Munich all these people in these Bavarian costumes were absolutely everywhere. So went our usual rout of art and history museums ,eventually we went to this huge park like area and were overwhelmed by men in feather hats ,and shorts ,women in cutsie short skirts ,frilly white blouses.
There were some huge tents and long tables ,all these people drinking out of beer out of huge mugs warming huge sausage's.
Hi Lady Bird,

In my last post I was not being judgemental or critical of anyone in particular, just stating my thoughts and opinions about those who choose to consume alcohol, mostly in excess. I was once attacked, assaulted and injured by a belligerent drunk, and it left permanent emotional scars in my heart, mind, and body. So, I may be overly sensitive regarding the subject. And I was not at a bar when it happened, I was at work on the job.

Everyone has the right and privilege to do and act anyway they choose. In some cases, however, those behaviors can cause hurt and harm to others around them. When innocent people are hurt or harmed by the actions of others, yes, I have a problem with that.

As for Germans and beer, I had an aunt who was born and raised in Germany. My uncle met and married her when he was stationed in Germany after WWII. They moved back to the states when my uncle's enlistment ended.

She was a nice lady, but she drank beer like most people drink water. She said in Germany the water was not that good, and many German people drank beer instead of water. So, that is why she drank so much beer.

However, she drank 10 or 12 beers a day, and sometimes more, 7 days a week 365 days a year. She was always in a state of semi-drunkenness, and always had the smell of beer on her breath. But she said that was the way she was raised.

Since I was so young myself at the time, I formed an opinion that most all Germans are avid beer drinkers because they don't like the water.

Again, my comments were not meant to be judgemental of anyone. If one likes beer, have at it. But in my own mind, it is my belief that where there is alcohol consumption, there is going to be trouble and someone, usually innocent people, are going to be hurt in some form of fashion. Just like when the jokes start flying, someone is going to bear the brunt of the joke.

But don't let me be the party pooper here. Continue on with the keyboard jokes, and have fun.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Retsacnal #2983219 05/24/20 11:36 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
You could never be a party pooper Rick ,I do not need to assure you of that !
I am so sorry you had that really traumatic experience, and I can fully understand how it would
affect anyone. I am sorry about your aunt as well. It sounds as though she may have had real problems with alcohol.Perhaps it's a way of self medicating for some.But if that is the case, it sure is the wrong type of medication.

Best wishes, Karyn.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 05/24/20 11:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Retsacnal #2983241 05/24/20 12:00 PM
M
Man Offline
M
...When I lived in the French region of Switzerland, they had the fête de Vendanges, which is basically a grape harvest festival. Historically, people celebrated the harvest and blew off steam before the Winter cold set in.

Your knowledge of local festivals is impressive. That "Fête des vendanges" is organized ca. 4 times per century (once per generation), and is a big deal for people living in the region close to the Leman lake (Geneva lake), but not much further away, to my knowledge. As it happens only every two and a half decades few people know that it exists. Chances that new residents are aware of it is quite low.
Chapeau bas !

Man #2983323 05/24/20 03:29 PM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Man
...When I lived in the French region of Switzerland, they had the fête de Vendanges, which is basically a grape harvest festival. Historically, people celebrated the harvest and blew off steam before the Winter cold set in.

Your knowledge of local festivals is impressive. That "Fête des vendanges" is organized ca. 4 times per century (once per generation), and is a big deal for people living in the region close to the Leman lake (Geneva lake), but not much further away, to my knowledge. As it happens only every two and a half decades few people know that it exists. Chances that new residents are aware of it is quite low.
Chapeau bas !

Merci, but I'm not so well informed as just lucky to have lived in Germany and Switzerland at a few different junctures!

I only lived in Romandy for two years, but I was pretty sure I experienced two fête de Vendanges while I was there, living near Lac de Neuchâtel. So I checked out the website: https://www.fete-des-vendanges.ch/ It references this years and last years festivals. And multiple towns have their own festivals.

Anyway, it sounds like you're thinking of the Fête des Vignerons, which is the Vintners festival. And that seems to happen only once per generation, in Vevey on lac Léman, or five times per century at irregular intervals. Anyway, lest I sound too well informed, I say "seems" because I just looked it all up! wink I do know that many things happen at longer intervals than yearly, and I wondered if I managed to turn up in Neuchâtel at some magic juncture in time (a la Brigadoon), because I have some great memories of fête de Vendanges!

[Linked Image]

-Frederic Chopin
DanS #2983380 05/24/20 05:25 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DanS
Phillip Glass walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar walked into a bar

thumb grin ha

August Förster 215
Retsacnal #2983547 Yesterday at 06:50 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Knock knock.
Who's there?
Philp Glass.
Philip Glass who?
Philip Glass knock knock.
Who's there?
Philip Glass.
Philip Glass who?
Who's there?
Philip Glass.
Philip Glass who?
Who's there?
Philip Glass.
Philip Glass who?
Who's there?
Philip Glass.
Philip Glass who?
Who's there?
Philip Glass.
Philip Glass who?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai means cute and adorable
by Fleer - 05/26/20 06:12 PM
What happened to the 'real' Feurich?
by williambonard - 05/26/20 03:51 PM
An easier arrangement of Bach 639
by Chordo24 - 05/26/20 01:54 PM
Tuning book from 1860
by Craig Hair - 05/26/20 01:01 PM
So here’s an odd piano for sale.
by jakedaniel - 05/26/20 11:51 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,202
Posts2,962,478
Members97,191
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission