2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
55 members (camperbc, 20/20 Vision, chateauferret, Busyx2, accordeur, 17 invisible), 496 guests, and 472 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sad piano article on Classic FM...
dogperson #2982887 05/23/20 04:33 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dogperson
We’re all different regarding the emotional element regarding vintage pianos. For me, if my 1903 M & H needs rebuilding, I will rebuild even if I can’t recoup the cost. That doesn’t make me right or wrong, but just different and I’m sure I’m a small minority here.

It’s not just the touch and sound but the wonderful, outrageous legs and daydreaming about the many generations who played this piano before me —- with similar struggles 😊. For me, the experience is worth the economic downside. I can see why restorers and many pianists would prefer new.

I am of the same mind.

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
williambonard #2982901 05/23/20 05:01 PM
G
G
With some simplification: Every piano in the dumpster makes room for one new piano to be built.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
Gretel #2982905 05/23/20 05:08 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gretel
With some simplification: Every piano in the dumpster makes room for one new piano to be built.

In this case, one acoustic in the dumpster made room for one new digital.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dogperson #2982928 05/23/20 05:46 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
We’re all different regarding the emotional element regarding vintage pianos. For me, if my 1903 M & H needs rebuilding, I will rebuild even if I can’t recoup the cost. That doesn’t make me right or wrong, but just different and I’m sure I’m a small minority here.
I don't think one has to be able recoup the cost to make it financially reasonable although I've heard this many times on PW.
1. If one buys a new piano and then sells it one can rarely recoup the cost.
2. I think the real question for financial reasonableness should be if it costs x dollars to rebuild the piano how will the resulting piano compare with what one can buy for x dollars in the new, used, or rebuilt piano market? f

williambonard #2982949 05/23/20 06:33 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Everyone has their own perspective. From mine, an old piano has a story to tell. The older it is, the more "life" it's lived. It's intriguing, a conversation piece. It's also a piano, of course. Which brings us to the notions of whether or not it needs a new soundboard, bridges, pin block, strings, etc, but in the large it's not an either-or trade off. A nicely rebuilt piano can be 100% "piano", and also 110% interesting relic of the past. Brand new pianos are readily available in showrooms near you (well, at least in theory). One need only write a check. Or swipe the plastic, tap your phone, or whatever. Old interesting pianos are fewer and father between. Some are "worth" restoring. Many more are worthy of consideration.

“Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer,
and pour out my despair at the piano.”

-Frederic Chopin
williambonard #2982985 05/23/20 09:04 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
That piano certainly looked in good condition to me except for the obvious damage caused by being
thrown in the dumpster. "Old pianos" yes I certainly have my memories very good old pianos that I eventually had to sell because of various reasons.
They are still treasured ,and I hope they are still loved, even if they have become nothing more than furniture.

williambonard #2982990 05/23/20 09:45 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Everyone has their own perspective. From mine, an old piano has a story to tell. The older it is, the more "life" it's lived. It's intriguing, a conversation piece. It's also a piano, of course. Which brings us to the notions of whether or not it needs a new soundboard, bridges, pin block, strings, etc, but in the large it's not an either-or trade off....."

Thanks, Retsacnal. This is the exact process I try to persuade novice buyers, of used pianos, to experience before they commit to buy an older piano. An experienced eye can read the story of this instrument and tell not only its past, but its likely future.

You put it over the plate very nicely.

Clef

williambonard #2982997 05/23/20 10:06 PM
J
J
Political, off topic post deleted by moderator.

Let's not have a repeat.

Last edited by BB Player; 05/23/20 10:43 PM.
Jeff Clef #2983137 05/24/20 08:59 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well after the article and sad picture of the grand piano in the dumpster, I hope the administrator who decided to just stick pianos in the dumpster has gotten plenty of feedback from staff, students, and general public that he or she will never do that again.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
j&j #2983169 05/24/20 09:40 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Well after the article and sad picture of the grand piano in the dumpster, I hope the administrator who decided to just stick pianos in the dumpster has gotten plenty of feedback from staff, students, and general public that he or she will never do that again.

Does the administrator have any flexibility on how to handle university property? We really don’t know if this was or was not appropriate disposal of pianos.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dogperson #2983176 05/24/20 09:55 AM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j

Does the administrator have any flexibility on how to handle university property? We really don’t know if this was or was not appropriate disposal of pianos.

Hopefully if this was considered appropriate by the university administration, their wasteful, distressing methods of disposal of old pianos and old instruments will be changed for the better.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
williambonard #2983183 05/24/20 10:15 AM
The president of the college or university has the ultimate authority to interpret the state or federal policies/guidelines the way they see fit. As for flexibility, I think it has more to do with the interpretation of the policies and guidelines, but, yes, there is a lot of flexibility in what different colleges/universities in the same state, country or region might do.

When I worked for the state technical college, the president answered to the commissioner of the Technical College System of Georgia, which is similar to the University System of Ga, but is a different state department. The commissioner is selected/appointed by the governor of the state and answers to the governor as long as the governor is in office.

I had to attend consortium meetings twice a year where all the other program coordinators from all the other technical colleges from around the state (about 30 of them) would meet twice a year to discuss our specific program's structure, curriculum, policies, procedures and organization. I was always very surprised at how different other technical colleges around the state functioned and ran their programs. We were all supposed to follow the same state structure, policies and guidelines, but those policies and guidelines were interpreted very differently by the individual colleges.

It was like each college sort of did their own thing they way they wanted to do it. There were vast differences when it came to following financial aid policies. For example, some colleges financial aid departments would pay for certain things that other financial aid departments said were illegal and against the rules. I was always astonished and surprised at the inconsistencies in how the different colleges were run. It was like each college was its own separate entity to an extent.

There were oversight committees that would visit all the technical colleges and review the policies and procedures and how they run things. It was called the PAR (Performance Accountability Review) committee. They made their rounds about once every 3 years or so. If the PAR team found anything amiss, it was called a "finding" and listed in a report that went to the college president and the state commissioner's office. If a finding was noted, the college had to come up with a plan to correct the problem within a certain timeframe.

Didn't mean to write a book, but, yes, I would imagine that the president or head administrator at any college or university has a lot of latitude to run things as they see fit, within certain guidelines, that can be interpreted in different ways. And, I would imagine that would entail the asset management and liquidation of pianos as well as other college or university surplus property.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai means cute and adorable
by Fleer - 05/26/20 06:12 PM
What happened to the 'real' Feurich?
by williambonard - 05/26/20 03:51 PM
An easier arrangement of Bach 639
by Chordo24 - 05/26/20 01:54 PM
Tuning book from 1860
by Craig Hair - 05/26/20 01:01 PM
So here’s an odd piano for sale.
by jakedaniel - 05/26/20 11:51 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,202
Posts2,962,467
Members97,191
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission