2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
64 members (c++, Ajax69, Catlady, accordeur, anotherscott, 36251, Beowulf, 12 invisible), 450 guests, and 483 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Green Foot
#2982863 05/23/20 02:37 PM
M
OP Offline
M
We don't wear shoes inside our home, so the options are
1) Slippers
2) Socks
3) Barefoot
I've discovered that, if playing the piano is involved, option 3) has some serious issues.

A couple months after my new GX-6 arrived, I noticed the damper pedal had taken on a rather ugly dullness. No metallic shine at all, which was particularly obvious against the gleam of the other two pedals. A little cleaning and buffing with a soft cloth didn't help at all. There seemed to be something coating the surface.

So I got a little more heavy-handed with it, and tried a dish scouring pad. That seemed to clean off whatever it was, but left the surface with a satin finish rather than the desired gleaming brass. Not knowing what else to try, I left it at that. It didn't match the other pedals, but at least it wasn't ugly.

A few days later, while rummaging through the garage looking for unrelated items, I discovered a tube of metal polish in my car-care box, and also some very fine 2000 grit sandpaper. Of course, I had to try the polish on the damper pedal. The result was mixed; although it did seem to be trying to bring up the shine, there was still some kind of inhibiting layer.

Time to become daring: I tore off a piece of the 2000 grit and gave the full surface a good sanding, being careful to keep all strokes longitudinal. Following that, another course of polish, and Voila! Beautiful shining brass once more. A sense of triumph pervaded as I admired my pristine pedals.

Would it stand the test of time? Not very well, as it turned out. Disappointment returned after my next barefoot practice session: The ugly dullness was back, exactly where my foot had been on the pedal. Not only that, but while I was sharing my tale of brass woes with my friend, she asked what that funny color was, on the bottom of my foot. Twisting my foot around, there it was - unmistakable copper sulfate green! Mild panic ensued (CuSO4 is toxic) and I quickly washed it off.

Of course, that hasn't cured me of my barefoot habits, but at least I now keep a sock near the lyre so I can cover the pedals while playing.

First love: Kawai GX-6
Yamaha Motif XF8
Tektronix MSO4104
Re: Green Foot
MarianneØ #2982870 05/23/20 02:54 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
May I suggest booties for the pedals? Then barefoot is an option again, and the shine should be better preserved beneath the booties.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
MarianneØ #2982871 05/23/20 02:56 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarianneØ
Of course, that hasn't cured me of my barefoot habits, but at least I now keep a sock near the lyre so I can cover the pedals while playing.
Interesting story.

Had my carpet professionally cleaned a couple of weeks ago. The carpet is probably 20 years old but still in good condition because it was a high grade of carpet when we had it installed. It was just dirty from years of use, and only cleaning with those carpet cleaning machines you rent at the supermarket or wherever. I had never had the carpet professionally cleaned.

The carpet cleaning tech said the carpet was in reasonably good shape for the age and the cleaning made a huge difference. It looks much better and will last a few more years easily.

I said all that to say this:

The carpet cleaning tech said walking on carpet with bare feet is about the worse thing you can do to your carpet. He said the oils on the bottom of your feet will stain the carpet as much or worse than walking on the carpet with dirty shoes.

Needless to say, I was very surprised at his comments about the bare feet. I love walking on my carpet with bare feet. smile

I figured there was a correlation between your comments about using the brass pedal on your piano with bare feet and what the carpet cleaner tech said about walking on carpet with bare feet.

Moral of the story? Bare feet are dangerous... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
PianoWorksATL #2982947 05/23/20 05:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
May I suggest booties for the pedals? Then barefoot is an option again, and the shine should be better preserved beneath the booties.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Sam.

[shameless plug]And for the OP, I bet they are available right here on PianoWorld at www.pianosupplies.com. If they are not there, I bet Frank would order them for you. [/shameless plug]

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
MarianneØ #2983670 05/25/20 11:15 AM
K
K
Hi Marianne,

I thoroughy enjoyed reading your post, the more so as I enjoy playing barefooted on the mornings where I have time before the kids get up. And the damper and una corda pedals on my SK-2 are now matte after two years of ownership. I didn't dare to look under my feet, but I may have the dreaded Green Foot Syndrome! One of these risks, that modern life is full of.

Also, since reading your earlier post about the benefits of going from the RX-2 to the GX-6, I've been thinking about if I one day should trade in my instrument for perhaps a GX-6 (although my SK-2 is a really great instrument, I would think that 7' gives other dynamic and timbral possibilities). I mentioned it to the Kawai dealer the other day, and he was at least open for the idea - without mentioning numbers... Around here, the SK-2 and GX-6 have list prices 1000 USD apart.

Schubert, Beethoven, Brahms, Bach and Berg
2017 Shigeru Kawai SK-2
1950'es Zimmermann upright
Fender Classic 50's Precision Bass -> Dynacord Bass-King T -> BassLab 212
RME Babyface (mk.1) + some microphones
MarianneØ #2983719 05/25/20 12:18 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I don't worry about the slight lack of lustre on my damper pedal. It's one of the few signs of gentle but consistent use that the piano shows. I would, however, be upset to see any other signs such as scratches, blemishes or other marks on the finish of the case or music desk caused by carelessness.

No green foot here; I always play with socks on.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
White noise
by QuasarPiano - 11/27/20 05:40 PM
Im Strolling Along With You
by Claude56 - 11/27/20 05:12 PM
Stretch Tuning in Sampled DPs?
by Harpuia - 11/27/20 05:10 PM
JBL, iLoud monitor spkrs, Black Friday sales
by anotherscott - 11/27/20 03:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,085
Posts3,027,873
Members99,387
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission