2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
58 members (baudelairepianist, Blague, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, accordeur, Burkie, 16 invisible), 508 guests, and 435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Saying hello!
#2982889 05/23/20 04:39 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 50 years old and returned to the piano recently after an absence of over 3 decades. I consider myself around the intermediate level but really need to improve my technique in order to progress and rid myself of the bad habits I acquired when I was younger.

I got my Grade 8 when I was 15 but even then felt a bit of an imposter; scales and arpeggios, sight reading were - and still are - all poor and I only scraped passes on the strength of my pieces.

Love the giants of classical piano - Chopin, Debussy, Schumann etc and can play the likes of Nocturne Op 9 No 2, Arabesque No 1 and Kinderszenen but struggle with anything more technically challenging. So no Fantaisie Impromptu for me right now! Maybe within the next 12 months or so I'll try and find a good teacher to take me to the next level. But for now it's just great to be playing again.

Anyway enough blathering! It's a real inspiration to read the threads here and hear about the progress and enjoyment from everyone of all levels and genres.

See you all around!

Ed

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Saying hello!
psyche23 #2982895 05/23/20 04:51 PM
T
T
Welcome, good luck on your journey.

psyche23 #2982897 05/23/20 04:53 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome!

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
psyche23 #2982918 05/23/20 05:24 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Welcome Ed,

My lessons as a child did not progress as far as yours just level 5. I've had a 40 year gap without lessons and started about 18 months ago.

I've found some skills returned quickly, some have not returned at all and I'm having to learn them again from scratch. A very uneven experience. It is however exceptionally rewarding.

I'm sure you'll make good progress and I'm looking forward to following your progress.

psyche23 #2982975 05/23/20 08:07 PM
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome to Pianowold !

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

psyche23 #2982978 05/23/20 08:34 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by psyche23
I got my Grade 8 when I was 15 but even then felt a bit of an imposter; scales and arpeggios, sight reading were - and still are - all poor and I only scraped passes on the strength of my pieces.
I was away from the piano for decades myself, until I finally bought my first piano in 2010.

Since then, I've met many adult returners, and the overriding impression I came away with is that the higher the level you reached before you stopped playing, the easier it is to regain the lapsed skills, and to build up on them. Especially those who got to Grades 7 - 8.

Love the giants of classical piano - Chopin, Debussy, Schumann etc and can play the likes of Nocturne Op 9 No 2, Arabesque No 1 and Kinderszenen but struggle with anything more technically challenging. So no Fantaisie Impromptu for me right now!
Well, the F-I is a diploma-level piece, and so are a few of the pieces in Kinderszenen, so you're well up on your expected skill level........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
psyche23 #2982993 05/23/20 09:52 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
E
weclome, looking forward to hearing more as you get back into piano

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
psyche23 #2983002 05/23/20 10:56 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Much appreciated.

bennevis - Sorry I was misleading when mentioning 'Kinderszenen'. Should have prefixed that with the words 'some of' (essentially the slower numbers). Perhaps the piece that best sums up where I am right now is 'Widmung' by Schumann (arr. Liszt). I've no problem playing it with the simpler ossia (when the main theme returns) but struggle with the more difficult and better known version with the fast arpeggios in terms of fluidity and speed.

But yes, it hasn't taken long to pick up where I left off which is reassuring. Only problem is my bad habits have returned as well smile It's clear I really need to change the way I practise which has always been both hands, up to speed asap, and playing the whole piece through over and over again. Will require a bit of discipline on my part but looking forward to the challenge!

psyche23 #2983105 05/24/20 06:46 AM
C
C
You sound like me :-)

I jacked in exams at Grade 4 because I hated the things and didn't need them, although I did later sit Grade 5 in order to obtain an exemption from the GCE O level paper in music theory. That was poorly advised, because you only got a C for a Grade 5 even with decent marks and I would have done better than that in the theory paper. Anyway, I studied for some years after that and ended up around about the Mozart C minor fantasia K 475, the Schubert A flat imprpomtu D 899 no 4 and let's see, some Schumann Kinderszenen and Waldszenen (Vogel als Prophet), Chopin posthumous C sharp minor nocturne. Continued to play for many years after that without lessons, and was doing some longer stuff likw Schubert G major sonata D 894, Dussek F minor sonata op 77, Beethoven obviously but nothing much since about 1830. Then moved into a house with 2 kids and no piano and that was that until last year.

Now I can get back into it and trying to learn pieces properly instead of just playing through, same as you say. So Field nocturnes no 3 in A flat and 18 in E "Midi", Chopin nocturne in C sharp minor op 27 no 1, Ballade in A flat op 47 (this is about the limit I think), Bach E flat minor from book 1, and currently: Mozart Rondo in A minor K 511, Schubert impromptu in C minor D 899 no 1, Liszt Spozialiso from Annees de pelerinage II and Beethoven E flat op 7.

It's easy to be sidetracked into looking at new things instead of completing work on stuff so that you can actually play it properly. I'm nearly there with the Mozart and the Schubert, In the Liszt there are only two bits that are technically tough but there's so much you can do with it musically. The Beethoven is being picked up from being parked years ago... I now make a point of going back over every mistake and insecurity and making sure I can play it before moving on. Usually :-)

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai means cute and adorable
by Fleer - 05/26/20 06:12 PM
What happened to the 'real' Feurich?
by williambonard - 05/26/20 03:51 PM
An easier arrangement of Bach 639
by Chordo24 - 05/26/20 01:54 PM
Tuning book from 1860
by Craig Hair - 05/26/20 01:01 PM
So here’s an odd piano for sale.
by jakedaniel - 05/26/20 11:51 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,202
Posts2,962,488
Members97,191
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission