I have enjoyed reading this forum for a long time. Hopefully, someone here can help me to repair my black key top.
One of my black key top popped off yesterday (middle C#, right in the middle :-(). Being in NYC area, I really don't want anyone to enter my home. Hence, I am attempting to repair it myself.
After researching many videos and previous posts, I have concluded I need to
1. sand off the old glue on the key
2. apply a thin layer of PVC - e on the key
3. put the black key back and clamp it tight until dried
My questions are
1. What grit of sandpaper should I use to file off the glue?
2. When I put the black key back, what tool can I use to hold them together without damaging the key surface? Can I just hold them really tight with my hands? How long should the parts be clamped down before I can put the key back to the piano?
3. From my layman's eyes, this process seems doable by myself. Anything I need to be aware or careful with?
Photo below is my broken key. The top part appears to be wood. (sorry I still haven't figured out how to post photos directly in the post)http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/2982553/broken-sharp-key.html
Thank you so much in advance!!