2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Thanks, Sam:

As in all your replies, there is wisdom and excellent information, greatly appreciated.

Karl

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by johnstaf
If the piano has longer keys than are typical for its size, the rest of the piano must be shorter.
That is true for a grand, but not for a vertical piano, where key sticks are perpendicular to the soundboard, so there is not a fixed linear dimension to allocate between key pivot length and soundboard length.

I think the Kawai K-800 may have the longest pivot length of any upright (other than maybe some custom/boutique offerings).

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The longest pivot lengths in uprights were in the old player pianos, which were wider to fit in the mechanism.

Semipro Tech
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
If the piano has longer keys than are typical for its size, the rest of the piano must be shorter.
That is true for a grand, but not for a vertical piano, where key sticks are perpendicular to the soundboard, so there is not a fixed linear dimension to allocate between key pivot length and soundboard length.

I think the Kawai K-800 may have the longest pivot length of any upright (other than maybe some custom/boutique offerings).
You think.....

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
As usual...balance is the key...too much...too little...somewhere in the middle.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by KawaiDon
Some years back (2008, I believe) Kawai began lengthening the keys in all of our pianos. It really was caused by by a change in the structure of our grand pianos which required a longer key, but the feel of the 1" longer keys was enough of an improvement that our engineers decided to apply it to almost all of our pianos.

It definitely does improve the touch.

I don't know which brands are longest - I do not have individual key lengths for each of our own pianos, much less the dimensions of other brands. I know Schimmel has some smaller grands that advertised the same action as a 7' grand - but this was just one or 2 models, I believe. I'm sure others will chime who know more details on those.

For the sake of some data I measured our K800 (large upright) which comes out at:

Key length 40.4 cm, pivot length 22.6 cm (19.4 for sharps).

Those measurements are for the straight keys, angled keys will be a bit longer. I did not measure but suspect the U3 (also a large upright) has significantly shorter pivot distances as it was noticeably different to play on the front or back of the keys whereas the K800 is pretty constant.

gwing #2982824 05/23/20 01:23 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gwing
Some years back (2008, I believe) Kawai began lengthening the keys in all of our pianos. It really was caused by by a change in the structure of our grand pianos which required a longer key, but the feel of the 1" longer keys was enough of an improvement that our engineers decided to apply it to almost all of our pianos.

I don't know which brands are longest - I do not have individual key lengths for each of our own pianos, much less the dimensions of other brands. I know Schimmel has some smaller grands that advertised the same action as a 7' grand - but this was just one or 2 models, I believe. I'm sure others will chime who know more details on those.

For the sake of some data I measured our K800 (large upright) which comes out at:

Those measurements are for the straight keys, angled keys will be a bit longer. I did not measure but suspect the U3 (also a large upright) has significantly shorter pivot distances as it was noticeably different to play on the front or back of the keys whereas the K800 is pretty constant.
I just measured my U3. The pivot length on the white keys was exactly 22cm. The black keys were about 18.7cm. I'm not sure the difference is big enough to be significant. Perhaps the condition/maintenance of the action is a bigger factor than these small differences in measurements. I didn't have a long enough ruler to measure total key length, but I don't think that's relevant in terms of pivot length and key effort anyway.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
That's exactly what I would have guessed. I play on a few different U3s and they all feel like small grands--23-24cm pivots. Absolutely no problem playing at the fallboard.

The U1 otoh feels a lot smaller, I wonder if it's closer to the NU1X's 18cm....

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
ando #2982913 05/23/20 05:17 PM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by gwing

I just measured my U3. The pivot length on the white keys was exactly 22cm. The black keys were about 18.7cm. I'm not sure the difference is big enough to be significant. Perhaps the condition/maintenance of the action is a bigger factor than these small differences in measurements. I didn't have a long enough ruler to measure total key length, but I don't think that's relevant in terms of pivot length and key effort anyway.

That seems a very small difference in pivot length, hard to believe it would make a significant difference.

The full length of the keys ought to be very relevant for key effort because mechanically it should be the ration of the two parts of the key (i.. each side of the pivot) that determines the mechanical advantage of the lever and hence key effort for a given action. However the length of the back part of the key shouldn't affect the ratio of key effort required between playing at the tips and the fallboard. Or so my mechanical understanding says anyway ...

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by Sweelinck

You think.....

In fact, some piano depth specifications suggest it is not correct.

Steinway K-52 - 26.4”
Bechstein Concert 8 - 26.4”
Yamaha SU7 - 26”
Yamaha YUS5 - 26”
Yamaha U3 - 26”
Grotrian G-132 (Concertino) - 26”
Bosendorfer Grand Upright 130 - 25.5”
Kawai K-800 - 25.5”

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
BDB #2982981 05/23/20 08:44 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BDB
The longest pivot lengths in uprights were in the old player pianos, which were wider to fit in the mechanism.
Good observation. I think on average, the vintage American uprights had longer pivot lengths than the average upright sold today.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission