2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
54 members (camperbc, 20/20 Vision, chateauferret, Busyx2, accordeur, 15 invisible), 495 guests, and 459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Best way to take video of myself?
#2982432 05/22/20 09:23 AM
D
DocOc Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
What’s the best way of recording yourself playing piano?

When I use my iPhone, the notes sound a bit muddy. Some of that may be the room in which I’m playing (which has little by way of sound-absorbing objects). But some of it is the microphone on my iPhone.

I’m playing pieces with a lot of staccato. For example:

https://youtu.be/HlvNKc5pYrk

I can play it almost like this, but my recordings lose the crispness of the notes.

Is there a special setup (or special microphone) I can use? Or do I need more sound-absorbing items in my room?

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Best way to take video of myself?
DocOc #2982436 05/22/20 09:32 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What's your budget? Because you can certainly spend a lot of money and time trying to record acoustic piano.

Just audio? Or video?

One of the simplest and best ways is with a Zoom H4n (audio only), or a Zoom Q8 (audio and video). But it's not a cheap solution.

The best quality recordings are made with separate microphones, which you can use with either of those Zoom recorders.

Sam

Sam S #2982439 05/22/20 09:36 AM
D
DocOc Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
Audio and video.

And ideally I’d like to use my iPhone. Is there a special microphone I can use with my iPhone?

Again, ideally I’d like to use my iPhone. But it’s not an absolute requirement.

DocOc #2982450 05/22/20 10:15 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Which iPhone? (which connector?)
What type of piano, vertical or grand?
What have you done to try and mitigate the muddy sound of your room? At least try a rug under your piano, for example.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
DocOc #2982451 05/22/20 10:16 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by DocOc
Audio and video.

And ideally I’d like to use my iPhone. Is there a special microphone I can use with my iPhone?

Again, ideally I’d like to use my iPhone. But it’s not an absolute requirement.

Sure, if you really want to do that you could get something like the IQ-6 which has the same microphones as the Zoom Z2n or H2n but without the digital recorder or camera and is more expensive. Your choice. There are other mics as well depending on your budget, both cheaper and more expensive.

DocOc #2982457 05/22/20 10:31 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm an old guy, and not that technically savvy, but judging from the music videos I've seen and heard lately recorded on the latest smartphones, seems to me that would be hard to beat. The video quality is excellent.

Personally, I don't have a smartphone. I have an old fashioned flip phone cell phone for making and receiving calls, and an occasional text.

The audio on the smartphones is not that bad either, but Sam is right, a good quality audio recorder will make a difference in the sound of the audio.

For years I used a basic digital mini camcorder with the built in mic on the recorder. The sound quality was not that good, but neither was my piano playing. smile

Now, I still use the older camcorder for the video, but I also use a ZOOM H4n stereo audio recorder and sync the two files (video and audio) when I make/edit the music video file with my video editing software. I mute the audio portion of the video file, and try to synchronize the ZOOM audio file with the video. Not an easy task to get the sync 100%, but I can get pretty close if I keep working with it.

Also, the placement of the ZOOM H4n recorder is important. If not placed correctly, it is not that much better than the audio recording on the camcorder.

Next time around, I'll probably get the ZOOM video/audio recorder combo. No syncing involved. smile

Also, if you post your music video on YouTube, there will still be some loss of quality in the process.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
DocOc #2982474 05/22/20 11:29 AM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Rick, it's easier to sync if you start with a sharp short sound like a hand clap. You simply match the clap on the video and audio and away you go.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
DocOc #2982510 05/22/20 01:22 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
OP, what model of iPhone? I have an 8plus and I think it sounds pretty darn good. Of course I play with too much pedal so.... whome

have you experimented with placement of the phone? Is the phone on a stand?

When I record with my phone, I have a holder-thingy that attaches to a tripod and then the phone is up at about 5.5 feet off the ground and angled down. I found that a closer position to the piano seems to work better.

This is the "holder thingy" -- it's actually called a cellphone tripod mount

I also have a Zoom H4n but my phone recordings are good enough that I rarely bother to get out the zoom anymore.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
DocOc #2982520 05/22/20 01:49 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You have 3 problems. The position of the camera you want will not be the best position for the mics. Additionally, mic settings on a phone are auto-gain, so it is difficult to record dynamic levels. 3rd, the mics are geared towards recording voice. Piano mics need to capture an extraordinarily wide frequency range. And this is all before you get into the specifics of the audio quality.

That said, there are better mics that can pair or plug into an iPhone. I've never tried, but I wonder if you could set the gain on an iPhone...maybe there are apps that will do this. With that, you would approach the quality of a Zoom Q8, and finding a good position to record from will take a fair amount of trial and error.

I personally recommend recording the audio separately. A Zoom H4n or even H2n can give you good results. With that, you can combine the phone's video with the separate audio. Virtually any video editing software can do this, so there are cheap options.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
DocOc #2982567 05/22/20 05:13 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
You might look into the Shure MV88 which is a stereo microphone that plugs directly into the lightning port of an iPhone so the whole thing is still very compact. I have not tried it, but some on line videos show it being used to record musical performances.

[Linked Image]
DocOc #2982594 05/22/20 06:30 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
At the very minimum, dedicated recording equipment like a Zoom H4n. Nothing built into another device is meant for this purpose. Better would be stereo condenser mics, preferably phantom power instead of electret, preferably omnidirectional (better bass response), with the associated audio interface.

The cheapest camera I've found besides the phone or camera you already have is a low end action cam at 20 dollars. You can get smooth 720p footage and a clear lens with a little bit of fish-eye effect, which is good if you want shots from many different angles but can't afford to buy half a dozen proper cameras.

Last edited by trigalg693; 05/22/20 06:32 PM.
DocOc #2983166 05/24/20 09:30 AM
C
C
If you want the actual audio from the samples WITHIN your digital piano you'll either need to record from the AUX out, Headphones out or to USB/disk (depending on the age and features of your digital piano). If going AUX out or Headphones out, you'll need a cable to connect to some form of a recording device (regardless of whether you use a computer, digital audio recorder, tape deck, etc.) - if feeding the audio out from your keyboard into a computer, you can use something like Audacity to make a recording.

DocOc #2984312 1 hour ago
D
DocOc Online Content OP
OP Online Content
D
Originally Posted by DocOc
What’s the best way of recording yourself playing piano?

When I use my iPhone, the notes sound a bit muddy. Some of that may be the room in which I’m playing (which has little by way of sound-absorbing objects). But some of it is the microphone on my iPhone.

I’m playing pieces with a lot of staccato. For example:

https://youtu.be/HlvNKc5pYrk

I can play it almost like this, but my recordings lose the crispness of the notes.

Is there a special setup (or special microphone) I can use? Or do I need more sound-absorbing items in my room?

Video of myself.... for comparison to Sokolov in my initial post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-CHT2emd-8

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai means cute and adorable
by Fleer - 05/26/20 06:12 PM
What happened to the 'real' Feurich?
by williambonard - 05/26/20 03:51 PM
An easier arrangement of Bach 639
by Chordo24 - 05/26/20 01:54 PM
Tuning book from 1860
by Craig Hair - 05/26/20 01:01 PM
So here’s an odd piano for sale.
by jakedaniel - 05/26/20 11:51 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,202
Posts2,962,467
Members97,191
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission