2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
53 members (Busyx2, Burkie, Beagle21, cmb13, accordeur, 36251, Brendan, 10 invisible), 482 guests, and 451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Musicnotes app and page turning
#2982111 05/21/20 10:47 AM
OP Offline
I've been looking at the Musicnotes app for my iPad Pro and I quite like it.
Does anyone have any experience with it ?

Page turning is supported (according to the website), with an Airturn pedal and some brands, but I was wondering if there are any alternatives ?
Would like it to work on both my MP11SE and my CA58...

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai MP11SE, Kawai CA58
Re: Musicnotes app and page turning
ChrisGoesPiano #2982337 05/21/20 10:37 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Chris,

I'm not familiar with the app, but does it allow page turning to be assigned to a MIDI CC# command, such as a pedal press on the piano?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Kawai James #2982463 05/22/20 10:50 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Chris,

I'm not familiar with the app, but does it allow page turning to be assigned to a MIDI CC# command, such as a pedal press on the piano?

Kind regards,
James
x

I'm not all that well versed in MIDI. I've also been playing around with Flowkey, which is a cool app, but it doesn't offer a lot beyond the beginner level, so not that interesting for me. However, MIDI connection was dead simple on my MP11SE (haven't tried it with my CA58 yet but should be just as easy). Musicnotes, however, is not that easy. On their website, they explicitely state that page turning is supported by those third party pedals, so I assume it just won't work like that with the built-in pedals.
I'll do some more research.

On another note, I like the vast library of music sheets on Musicnotes, but the app is not as user friendly as Flowkey. Flowkey is obviously not aimed at intermediate or advanced players, and the 1500 song library is very limited (compared to the 300k songs in Musicnotes).
Guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds. I tend to use music sheets to learn a certain piece or song, but when I finally master it, I no longer use the music notation, I just play by heart. Piano 3D looks fabulous but ultimately, there's not a lot more to it than eye candy.
Anyone have any suggestions for a good music reading app that has good MIDI support and also looks sleek and cool ? smile

A long time ago, in a musical galaxy far, far away...
Eminent-Solina B412, Yamaha DX21, Yamaha V50, Yamaha U1

21st century...
Kawai MP11SE, Kawai CA58
ChrisGoesPiano #2982579 05/22/20 05:36 PM
N
N
Hi! I'm a church pianist and in my personal experience, I have been playing paperless using Ipad Pro and the ForScore Pro app together with my airturn Pedpro blutooth pedal for the past 3 years. It took me few days to get accustomed turning the pages using my left foot for the air turn pedal and my right foot to use the sustain pedal. It's a matter of left and right foot coordination this time and like using the down beat to turn the page for me but I'm sure you'll figure it out quickly on your own rhythm.

I also used the Music notes app before but since I have everything under ForScore app as my digital score library, I rarely use it anymore. Whatever piano piece I buy in music notes or paper piano sheets I scan- I just copy it to ForeScore app. Everything is backed up to the cloud & that gives me peace of mind. I find it easy to navigate more using ForScore app and it has more flexibility and useful tools. Also, I suggest buying the Airturn Ped Pro that has rechargeable battery rather than the previous model.

ChrisGoesPiano #2982585 05/22/20 06:00 PM
E
EPW Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
E
I like the idea of not being locked into a sheet music site app. Even now GIA Music has an add for the Hymnals that cost quite a bit. They just announced you will be able to add your own PDF's to the app. I already brought a document scanner and am halfway scanning the Hymnals from both OCP and GIA publishers. I'll be like navi9187 and be all set for the future and at way less money. With Covid-19 I have the time and I already own the multi book sets from both publishers. I know this is for church music but still applies. You have more control of the music you brought IMHO.
Just make sure to back-up the music you scan just in case something happens. I have it on another hard drive and in the cloud.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
ChrisGoesPiano #2982590 05/22/20 06:26 PM
N
N
Hey EPW! Yes, we are set for the future and to add I hate to bring books and bags so I decided to become paperless!Sometimes if there's a new piece during rehearsal that I don't have on my Ipad, I just use a scan to pdf app, take a photo of the paper sheets and upload it right away to ForScore app. It's very easy and really convenient.

Some people have fear of using electronic gadgets but as long as everything is backed up then we're fine. Luckily, I have not experienced any malfunction on my Ipad Pro in every church mass or sidegig performances and I'm able to pull up any piano sheet at a breeze instantly without the pain of going to table of contents and shifting pages rushing if I'm using a book.

ChrisGoesPiano #2982765 05/23/20 11:17 AM
E
EPW Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
E
Also there is some competition with the software. So try out several to see which one you like. I'm really impressed with ForScore but alas I don't have an iPad. One guy uses it at church and loves it. The guitar guy use MobileSheets on Android. He likes his choice.

I'm on Musicreader and I really like the fact that the software works on multiply operating systems and backs up to the cloud. So I can have an Android or Chromebook at church and my Windows machine at home. If I was an Apple guy I would give ForScore a good workout.

Really is nice to have the music on a 3lb. laptop. The books weigh so much more and I love the playlist that you can create.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai means cute and adorable
by Fleer - 05/26/20 06:12 PM
What happened to the 'real' Feurich?
by williambonard - 05/26/20 03:51 PM
An easier arrangement of Bach 639
by Chordo24 - 05/26/20 01:54 PM
Tuning book from 1860
by Craig Hair - 05/26/20 01:01 PM
So here’s an odd piano for sale.
by jakedaniel - 05/26/20 11:51 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,202
Posts2,962,478
Members97,191
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission