2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Audio67, chaplincap, Ferdinand, emnayisay, FrankCox, AndrewJCW, EPW, Beowulf, Belma, 8 invisible), 460 guests, and 488 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Another Yuja Wang NY Times review
#2982174 05/21/20 11:44 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Yuja Wang is experimenting - no, not about outfits.

www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/arts/music/yuja-wang-carnegie.html

Re: Another Yuja Wang NY Times review
LXXXVIIIdentes #2982204 05/21/20 01:07 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
First world problem, not knowing the order of pieces smile Almost a tragedy in itself.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/21/20 01:08 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
LXXXVIIIdentes #2982213 05/21/20 01:30 PM
P
P
Really, this counts as experimenting? Have non of these expert critics ever seen a progrsm with like "Music by...."?

LXXXVIIIdentes #2982221 05/21/20 01:51 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
A program in which the order of the pieces is not announced may affect different listeners differently.

To those who are not "in the know," knowing or not knowing the composer and name of the work may not make any difference; they are just there to hear - not necessarily listen to - the music.

Those who are "musicians," real or vicarious, may feel manipulated if there are works on the program they haven't heard and therefor don't know, but would really be interested in pursuing the music or the composer further. Yes, of course, they can do their YouTube research later, but I think that some would be more engaged with the music if they knew the source while listening. It may be too fine a line to draw, however.

The more adventuresome among them may enjoy "playing the game" along with Ms. Wang.

I think I can see both sides of this question as I have occasionally left a recital wondering what an encore was and not being able to find out. In Ms. Wang's recent experiments, at least the numbers on the program are there.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
LXXXVIIIdentes #2982224 05/21/20 02:03 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It seems like the program was communicated, just the order changed. For people who have some knowledge it is pretty easy to spot Bach vs Brahms vs Chopin. And even though i dont like Berg and would be incapable to recognize one of his piece in a blind test, i can still identify his work vs Scriabine. Unhapilly for those that are less knowlegeable, a concert is also an opportunity to familiarize oneself with composers. Not knowing what piece is being played is reallly unpleasant.

That said why stop half way ? She should not communicate any program at all, that way it would be an even greater experience !

LXXXVIIIdentes #2982245 05/21/20 02:51 PM
The reviewer said Wang said she wanted to play the pieces in the order she felt like. Wang did not say she did that because it would allow the audience to not be prejudiced positively or negatively by knowing the composer. That seemed to be the reviewer's idea only.

This was an unusual experiment but not something I'd like to experience vs. a typical recital even though I would usually be able to know which piece was being played given a list of pieces on the recital. Aren't most recital programs carefully planned so the order of the program has some meaning?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/21/20 02:58 PM.
LXXXVIIIdentes #2982326 05/21/20 08:24 PM
B
B
I attended Yuja's last recital here in SoCal at Segerstrom. The pieces were listed, but the audience was forewarned ahead that Yuja would play them in whatever order she felt like. After a few bars of each piece, I was able to deduce which piece it was, and as the recital progressed, by process of elimination, guessed the remainder of her program. It did not take away from the concert experience at all, actually it enhanced it as she put together a mood set with some, with direct segues from Brahms to Chopin for example. Granted this worked because they were short pieces, not any extended works.

There is often more frustration afterwards when encores are played (as in Trifonov's case earlier that month). Only after talking with him after the recital, did he list his encores (they were all pieces written by sons of J.S. Bach). An artist may mention his encore from the stage, but often it is inaudible, and only the first few rows get to know what the piece is. Unless you know the piece yourself, you basically guess or end up asking your neighbor, who oftentimes are just as clueless.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
BeeZee4 #2982412 05/22/20 06:50 AM
H
H
Originally Posted by BeeZee4
There is often more frustration afterwards when encores are played (as in Trifonov's case earlier that month). Only after talking with him after the recital, did he list his encores (they were all pieces written by sons of J.S. Bach). An artist may mention his encore from the stage, but often it is inaudible, and only the first few rows get to know what the piece is. Unless you know the piece yourself, you basically guess or end up asking your neighbor, who oftentimes are just as clueless.

In the past couple of years, I've taken it one step further: If the performer doesn't identify the encore (or it's inaudible), I'll send an email inquiry to the concert sponsor. So far, I've always received an answer.

LXXXVIIIdentes #2982491 05/22/20 11:39 AM
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I love the idea of hearing pieces and not knowing the composer beforehand. It would eliminate a lot of bias. It's like a blind taste test. However, I would like to know, afterwards, what each piece was.

I do have to comment that only in the somewhat stuffy realm of classical music would a performer playing tunes in the order she felt like at the moment be a big deal. Jazz, bluegrass, folk, pop, country, etc.; if a piece is played and the performer doesn't announce ahead of time what it is, people just listen and enjoy!

jjo #2982561 05/22/20 03:57 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jjo
I love the idea of hearing pieces and not knowing the composer beforehand. It would eliminate a lot of bias. It's like a blind taste test. However, I would like to know, afterwards, what each piece was.

I do have to comment that only in the somewhat stuffy realm of classical music would a performer playing tunes in the order she felt like at the moment be a big deal. Jazz, bluegrass, folk, pop, country, etc.; if a piece is played and the performer doesn't announce ahead of time what it is, people just listen and enjoy!

I dont think it is very important, but there is a difference. In pop or jazz, one comes to listen to the music of the performer on stage. The order just affects the songs. In classical, you are listening to the music composed by someone else. For people that have some knowledge of classical music, recognizing the composer out of a predefined list is pretty easy. For those that have less aquaintance, it is better if they know what they are listening to. It is more difficult to remember after the concert and have to map back titles to the music. Also some pieces have multiple mouvements, so it requires a bit of work to put it all back together.

Anyway, changing the order seems more like a convenience for Ms. Wang as i dont see what difference it makes for the audience to listen to piece A before or after piece B. If there is a logic to play one after the other then i guess there is no reason to change it. And if there is no logic then it does not matter. Seems more like another gimmick. If a pianist thinks that people have biases and that prevents them from enjoying the present moment, then one should not publish any program at all.... i guess that would be really interesting to go to a concert not knowing at all what you will listen to.

LXXXVIIIdentes #2982572 05/22/20 04:23 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
She did the same thing in San Fran several weeks ago. After the intermission, she came back and played the same two pieces she had just played. I have no problem with this...but she's getting top dollar. Anyway the Scriabin was great!

LXXXVIIIdentes #2983444 05/24/20 08:13 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Imagine going on stage as a jazz pianist in front of a crowd and not having any idea what you will be playing for a large portion of the concert haha..well we are trained for that but it's still a bitch)

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha or Rolan Or William rhapsody
by Belma - 01/15/21 11:22 PM
Kawai GX2 vs Shimmel 180
by tony3304 - 01/15/21 10:51 PM
N3X Lid Pin Sticking Out?
by tierce_de_picardie - 01/15/21 07:45 PM
Polyester finish Yammy
by bill miller - 01/15/21 07:29 PM
Stack of Thirds Temperament
by Seeker - 01/15/21 07:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,280
Posts3,047,136
Members100,069
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission