2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
I want to have a discussion on how pianists adjust their touch on the piano provided for your recital.

I was spoiled by my college department with beautiful Steinways so I got accustomed to their touch. Although being very different, they kinda have something similar that unifies their touch that I got familiar to.

Then I had to play on a joint recital, on a 9ft Baldwin, probably 50-70 years old. Long story short, I stumbled onto my pieces because I was focused on how foreign the piano felt for my fingers. I couldn’t get my focus back on the music because it was like a total shock.

Aside from playing more recitals and getting accustomed to different actions (which I can’t right now because of coronavirus), how do pianists handle this situation?

Classical Pianist in training. Jazz enthusiast.
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
I'm afraid that the short answer is that you play on as many different pianos as possible. If you do that often enough you will adjust pretty well instantaneously when moving from one piano to another.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Play a lot of different piano's. Also accept that on lower quality/poor maintained piano's you will just have to give up nuances in your music.

Some actions are just to inconsistent.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
I'm afraid that the short answer is that you play on as many different pianos as possible. If you do that often enough you will adjust pretty well instantaneously when moving from one piano to another.

While that short answer is undoubtedly the best answer, we still may not be totally prepared for a "clunker" that's put in front of us. If the recital is of any importance, I might make myself objectionable (or appreciated!) by insisting that I have a trial run on the piano before hand. Of course, that is not always possible, so one does what one can with what one is given!

But it does go back to "... play on as many different pianos as possible."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
I would also add that playing on as many different pianos as possible is also good, maybe even very important, for developing technique.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
W
W
When I played in recitals, we each had access to the piano on stage for about 30 minutes morning of the performance. The challenge is being able to feel out the piano in that short time. It's no time to still be practicing pieces. Ask to see if you can gain access next time you have a recital. And have for yourself a piano test routine. If nothing else, at least you won't have to deal with being shocked during performance.

Online Content
Even the best pianists in the world usually get and need extensive time to practice on the pianos they will perform on. One should always attempt to get a lot of practice time on the piano one will perform on. I think any reasonable performance venue should make this accommodation.

R
R
Do a Glenn Gould and bring your piano.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Even the best pianists in the world usually get and need extensive time to practice on the pianos they will perform on. One should always attempt to get a lot of practice time on the piano one will perform on. I think any reasonable performance venue should make this accommodation.

Of course, concert pianists are given time to practice in the venue. But as an amateur who only occasionally gives performances, I have never been given time to ‘practice’. I have been given time to test but about 15 minutes

B
B
I did precisely ten piano exams in my lifetime (it certainly was a lifetime ago..... whistle), and in none of them did I have the opportunity to really get used to the piano beforehand.

At most, a couple of minutes.

Only the one used for my diploma exam was a grand (not a Steinway - I cannot remember which brand. But it was gleaming black and looked too big for me to handle......).

One makes do with what one is given. The uprights in the practice rooms in my high school, and then university, were all different to each other. I was just happy to find myself an unoccupied room: occasionally, I'd have to wait outside until the occupant finished.

Once I left home, I had to learn to adjust rapidly to any piano I could get. (Actually, almost every piano I played on at high school and university - and in the exams - was better than my cheap home vertical, with its very bright, piercing, unvarying tone quality and very light key action.......).

If music be the food of love, play on!
Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson

Of course, concert pianists are given time to practice in the venue. But as an amateur who only occasionally gives performances, I have never been given time to ‘practice’. I have been given time to test but about 15 minutes
Why couldn't they give you an hour?

Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
I did precisely ten piano exams in my lifetime (it certainly was a lifetime ago..... whistle), and in none of them did I have the opportunity to really get used to the piano beforehand.
For exams or for competitions(except the biggest ones) there are time constraints and many people playing on the piano during the same day. The judge can't be asked to wait around while each pianist tries the piano for a half hour before they play. For a recital, I think any reasonable venue should be willing to let the pianist, whether professional or amateur, practice for at least an hour either right before the recital, sometime on the same day, or even on a different day if that's all that's possible.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by bennevis
For exams or for competitions(except the biggest ones) there are time constraints and many people playing on the piano during the same day. The judge can't be asked to wait around while each pianist tries the piano for a half hour before they play. For a recital, I think any reasonable venue should be willing to let the pianist, whether professional or amateur, practice for at least an hour either right before the recital, sometime on the same day, or even on a different day if that's all that's possible.

You keep repeating that amateurs should be allowed to practice. ‘ Should’ is great except when you get s ‘no’. A venue doesn’t need a reason that the amateur pianist would find acceptable . Maybe others have had better luck

I would Recommend not assuming you will get your request and develop comfort with as many pianos as possible.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission