2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (ambrozy, beeboss, apianostudent, brdwyguy, Alain Defressigne, accordeur, 14 invisible), 612 guests, and 479 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I would never buy a piano online.

Returns are a mess, as you say. Also, there have been stories here about shipping damage.

For me, online is for small parcels only.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ThfcRob
I am in the same boat. my roland lx706 went faulty in feb, it is less than a year old.
I contacted andertons in guildford which is where I purchased the piano. They put me on to roland who said it would take 4 weeks to get parts. Then the lock down came and I have heard nothing since.
Luckily I have an FP30 that i can still use. Hopefully things will change soon as we start to come out of lockdown.

Four weeks to get parts? And that is before anyone thought the virus was serious. Now that’s poor customer service.

Kawai NV10
J
J
This is why you buy large items with curbside pickup during these times.

Finally bought the P515
O
O
Don’t forget, in the U.K. (probably in rest of EU) your contract is with the shop that sold it to you, not the company who makes the product.

There’s been a lot of shops in the past few years simply telling you to contact the manufacturer and effectively washing their hands of you, but it’s not right for them to do so.

Consumer rights

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 05/20/20 06:18 PM.

[Linked Image]
P
P
Originally Posted by Gombessa
This is a good warning/caveat, especially in the internet "lowest price rules all" and COVID "everything is shipped" world.

When you buy from a local piano dealer, they arrange delivery to your house and usually take the boxes away if you wish. The upside is, if something is wrong, they can and will retrieve the piano without the packaging, and drop off a new one.

When you buy something shipped over the internet, you lose that service. If something goes wrong that requires a return, you have to ensure it gets boxed and protected for handling by common courier, something that is NOT easy for large items.

It depends upon where you live and what the dealer situation is. In my case I checked with the "local"dealer who was an hour away. I specifically asked what would happen if the unit had to be sent back. I was told I would have to pay the same fee that it was to deliver the piano to get it back to the dealer and they would then ship it back. (BTW they didn't handle deliveries, they sent it via common carrier.) I then checked with Yamaha and it turns out that there was another company that would do the warranty service in our area, an electronics firm and not a piano dealer (Welcome to the rural life). That and some other questionable polices by the dealer sent me to purchase the DP online from Kraft. This is just my case but I think there are many of us out there that do not have a reputable local dealer as an option. I could have paid more to get a floor model unboxed but shipped via a common carrier (That was the deal breaker) or instead I ordered online, paid less and got the DP in the original packaging. Also they arranged to have it delivered and put in a room of my choice one flight of stairs up or down. It does help that the NU1X comes fully assembled so all I have to do was remove the packaging.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you all for your replies and comments. Just a few observations:
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Packaging is irrelevant. He has an on-site warranty. The repair tech will have no use for the packaging.
This is exactly how I saw it. When I purchased my ES110 I was told to keep the box incase anything went wrong and I would have to send it back. But with the Casio AP 710 and all their further high-end models they send someone out to you to repair it. I saw a video for Bonners Music which showed them delivering a large digital piano, unpacking it and disposing of the box. For large items you don't keep the box.
Originally Posted by DiarmuidD
Unfortunately I think you'll have to live with it until things get back to normal.
Yep. I think that about sums it up. I have contacted Casio again but until the covid-19 issue is sorted they wont be able to send someone out - Which I fully understand.
Originally Posted by Learux
Lesson learned as with any purchase, keep the packaging material for a while.

Casio has good service and they will fix your piano.
'
Still frustrating
Lesson most definitley learned. The most annoying aspect about this is that I photographed all the packaging as I took it out of the box, so if there was a fault I could put it all back in again in correct order. But of course the fault did not materialize for a few days. And again I can't emphasize how big the box was and how small my house is.

Where I went wrong in all this is failing to realise that if a fault did occur Casio would not be able to send someone out. So If I would of thought about it I guess I would of made space somehow for the box. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. smirk

I don't very often post on this forum, but do spend a lot of time browsing through it. I always find it pleasing how people take the time and effort to offer comments/remarks etc. And this post has been no exception. Again, thanks.

Enthusiastic, mature, relative beginner. Kawai ES110
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Often cardboard boxes can be folded flat without too much damage and unfolded back into a cardboard box. But it can be a hassle and require some fighting with either large staples or glue.

But still storing them is definitely a problem. Not only for digital pianos, but for e.g. the large flat screen TVs of today as well. Other large items are not that sensitive.

I still of the box for my TV although the warranty is out. But I don't of a box for my piano. Luckily it's a portable one and I don't of any plans for replacing it right now.

O
O
Originally Posted by Gombessa
When you buy something shipped over the internet, you lose that service. If something goes wrong that requires a return, you have to ensure it gets boxed and protected for handling by common courier, something that is NOT easy for large items.

Witnessed a courier literally hurling boxes across his LWB van whilst trying to find the item that he was delivering across the road. I could clearly see the labelling on the boxes - at least two boxes containing IT equipment, and an item of furniture (only covered in bubble wrap) were literally airborne. 😳 NO WAY I’d send anything other than a portable piano via courier (and even then, I’d be having nightmares about it).

RE Internet purchases, Bonners have been super (they do have two large showrooms, so not an internet-only seller). Ordered from them despite the distance from where I live (4 hours drive). They have their own drivers for larger items (ie home pianos) however portable pianos are delivered via courier unfortunately.

When I had a problem with my LX (their fault), they sent some lovely chaps from Roland down to wrap it up, take it away and replace it. Can’t complain!

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Grade 1 pieces?
by LarryShone - 04/19/21 03:51 PM
Thinking about Buying a used Steinway?
by astrotoy - 04/19/21 02:43 PM
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,398
Posts3,084,165
Members101,243
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission