2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
44 members (Colin Miles, Damyan, Beowulf, andredatele, ando, Anglagard44, Burkey, 12 invisible), 504 guests, and 491 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: You guys are infectious
camperbc #2981324 05/19/20 06:37 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by camperbc
I have not even once, in almost 7 months of playing this instrument daily, ever had even the slightest issue with the pivot length having a negative effect on my playing. (and I do play quite far back on the black keys!)

Well, it's not the black keys that are usually the problem, it's the white keys that you have to reach between the black keys. If your thumb starts on a black key while playing a large chord, there's not a lot of space for the rest of your fingers to go but deep towards the fallboard, and maintaining consistent dynamics becomes harder when some of your fingers are riding right against a short pivot point while others are farther away.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Gombessa #2981332 05/19/20 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I have not even once, in almost 7 months of playing this instrument daily, ever had even the slightest issue with the pivot length having a negative effect on my playing. (and I do play quite far back on the black keys!)

Well, it's not the black keys that are usually the problem, it's the white keys that you have to reach between the black keys. If your thumb starts on a black key while playing a large chord, there's not a lot of space for the rest of your fingers to go but deep towards the fallboard, and maintaining consistent dynamics becomes harder when some of your fingers are riding right against a short pivot point while others are farther away.

Nope, no troubles with the white keys either. Like I said, I don't understand why some people struggle with this.

KevinM #2981334 05/19/20 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by KevinM
I suppose that my Casio PX-870's keys may possibly have one of the shortest pivot lengths, (I recall someone on here making that statement) but honestly, to me it's all pretty much nonsense. I have not even once, in almost 7 months of playing this instrument daily, ever had even the slightest issue with the pivot length having a negative effect on my playing. (and I do play quite far back on the black keys!) I'll never understand why folks will make such a big deal over something that is so not a big deal. I mean, I'm admittedly pretty picky, but come on now.

I suspect that my opinion might not make me too many friends on here, but while others tirelessly debate (argue?) the pros and cons of "pivot length", I'll just keep myself occupied and content by playing some lovely music on my very nice, affordable digital piano!

Not at all.

My feeling is players with long experience and deep skill like yourself are able to deal with tools that are not the best ones for the job without even noticing.

Whereas weaker players like myself struggle to achieve the sensitivity of touch required to provide the desired dynamics. I could always wait until I have those skills, but I prefer to better enjoy my playing now. So rather than complain about my tools I bought better tools so I can better enjoy my playing now.
hmmm... I really don't know for certain, but that could possibly be it, KevinM. It would help explain why someone who is less advanced may have issues with it, while one who is more skilled/experienced doesn't really notice.

camperbc #2981341 05/19/20 07:09 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Nope, no troubles with the white keys either. Like I said, I don't understand why some people struggle with this.

Simply, I think it's because some people are used to something different. If it doesn't bother you, that's all the better, you don't have anything to worry about smile

Gombessa #2981403 05/19/20 11:16 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Ugh, I would love to agree with you, but I just checked the official table:

Code
Official PW pivot length table
----------------------------------

Short                                  Medium                                           Long
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NU1X (18cm)
NV5 (??)
     N1X/N3X (23cm)
                                     Steinway Model D (31cm)
                                                                                  NV-10 (26cm)

Hmm, a troubling thought just occurred to me, only you know where the Cybrid lies. The ultimate dark horse candidate!

I think the Steinway figure is based on the assumption that the balance intercepts the key exactly in the middle. This would probably be the case with the shortest key, but Steinway gives a measurement of the longest key, so it's not possible to work out the distance to the pivot point from this figure. Bear in mind that all the keys have the same distance from the front to the balance pin, so the differences are on the far end. Having said all that, I think it's still around 30cm.

Last edited by johnstaf; 05/19/20 11:21 PM.
CyberGene #2981405 05/19/20 11:29 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
As to the second, the best bang-for-buck piano with a rather long pivot is the Yamaha N1X which is cheaper than the NV10 and has some unique features missing in the NV10, hence is better bang-for-buck laugh
+1 thumb grin

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
KevinM #2981406 05/19/20 11:30 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don’t think I would like less than 22cm which is the length of the action in a Roland FP-90. That felt acceptable.

I think that 22cm is ok. I don't mind going between my grand and my FP-90, but I don't really like anything noticeably shorter. This was my biggest gripe with my Kawai MP-10, or the VPC-1. I just find shorter keys uncomfortable for some pieces.

When it's long enough I don't really care. I wouldn't consider key length a factor in choosing between and N1X and an NV-10 for example.

Last edited by johnstaf; 05/19/20 11:32 PM.
KevinM #2981414 05/20/20 12:27 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Not at all.

My feeling is players with long experience and deep skill like yourself are able to deal with tools that are not the best ones for the job without even noticing.

Whereas weaker players like myself struggle to achieve the sensitivity of touch required to provide the desired dynamics. I could always wait until I have those skills, but I prefer to better enjoy my playing now. So rather than complain about my tools I bought better tools so I can better enjoy my playing now.

So, would this mean a shorter pivot action is actually a better practice tool, as it requires more sensitivity to control, so it forces you to develop better sensitivity?

jeffcat #2981416 05/20/20 12:39 AM
Just wanted to peep in, not sure I understand all of this, but I definitely understand more about the innards of digital pianos than I did a few days ago. And you guys are fargin funny to read.

One serious question, can I avoid the infection by wearing a mask? grin

The piano ain’t got no wrong notes.
~ Thelonious Monk
U3piano #2981417 05/20/20 12:43 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by U3piano
Not at all.

So, would this mean a shorter pivot action is actually a better practice tool, as it requires more sensitivity to control, so it forces you to develop better sensitivity?

That may well be true. But the cost is reduced enjoyment on the journey of learning the piano. Adults take considerably longer to learn fine motor skills than children, so I am happy to take this shortcut to enjoyment.

Oddsox #2981418 05/20/20 12:45 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Oddsox
Just wanted to peep in, not sure I understand all of this, but I definitely understand more about the innards of digital pianos than I did a few days ago. And you guys are fargin funny to read.

One serious question, can I avoid the infection by wearing a mask? grin
No, but wearing a mask makes everyone else’s pivot length longer.

KevinM #2981421 05/20/20 12:55 AM
No, but wearing a mask makes everyone else’s pivot length longer.

LOL Nicely done!

The piano ain’t got no wrong notes.
~ Thelonious Monk
jeffcat #2981500 05/20/20 07:49 AM
B
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
B
I'm waiting until they release the new Clavinovas with InfinitePivotTouch™ keys smile

Having keys that pivot is so 18th century... get with the times people!

Last edited by Burkie; 05/20/20 07:54 AM.

Piano is one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
jeffcat #2981548 05/20/20 09:27 AM
_
_
CME Xkey have infinite pivot wink

_sem_ #2981591 05/20/20 10:32 AM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I think the Steinway figure is based on the assumption that the balance intercepts the key exactly in the middle. This would probably be the case with the shortest key, but Steinway gives a measurement of the longest key, so it's not possible to work out the distance to the pivot point from this figure. Bear in mind that all the keys have the same distance from the front to the balance pin, so the differences are on the far end. Having said all that, I think it's still around 30cm.

Just to be absolutely clear, the "chart" is just something I made up out of thin air, because I knew CG wouldn't be able to resist responding wink

The 31cm number for the Steinway D is "accurate" as far as I know, and of course in reality it would sit with other 9-10ft pianos in the "longest" end of the spectrum. For those who are interested, look at the difference between a "mere" 7ft Steinway B:
[Linked Image]

and a 9ft Steinway D:
[Linked Image]

Typically, the pivot length is uniform along the keybed, but the D pivot length increases dramatically towards the bass. Those keysticks are huge (and at least in this example, the distance from front of key to balance pin ISN'T uniform.

Originally Posted by _sem_
CME Xkey have infinite pivot wink

That's really the key to solving the problem for compact digital pianos. You CAN easily have any pivot length you desire, including "infinite" if you just get away from a simple lever. Casio could make an even shorter keybed than that in the PX-S1000, with a pivot length longer than any piano, but I assume it would increase mechanical complexity and build cost.

jeffcat #2981607 05/20/20 11:05 AM
J
jeffcat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Pouring over photos of keybeds all of yesterday, It seems indeed user-KevinM is correct about the Artificial dichotomy of Wood+Lengthier keysticks vs Folded Shorter Plasti-keys.

There's absolutely no reason they can't make longer sticks out of plastic. If it's a rigidity issue, just use more plastic, abs injection molding is very stable and straight these days. Even if that's not enough (which i doubt), they can easily slide an aluminum extrusion under the plastic and it'd cost next to nothing. It costs about as much as coat-hanger wires.

Unfortunately the more people pay the luxury tax, the more bold they are with widening the gap between trivial design features.

Last edited by jeffcat; 05/20/20 11:09 AM.
jeffcat #2981610 05/20/20 11:10 AM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Pouring over photos of keybeds all of yesterday, It seems indeed user-KevinM is correct about the Artificial dichotomy of Wood+Lengthier keysticks vs Folded Shorter Plasti-keys.

Huh, who said you can't make longer actions out of plastic? The Roland Grand Hybrid action is 26cm, longer than the AvantGrands and the Grand Feels. The Yamaha GrandTouch is right up there, too. Those are definitely in the "long enough to no longer matter" category.

jeffcat #2981612 05/20/20 11:12 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You have experience with manufacturing costs?
... they can easily slide an aluminum extrusion under the plastic and it'd cost next to nothing.

jeffcat #2981618 05/20/20 11:18 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I also think there's no problem whatsoever creating long plastic key sticks. And you can still make them folded which will effectively be just half the length of a regular straight key for the same pivot length. On an acoustic piano you need the action behind the keys because the hammers hit strings. In a digital piano you don't need that. This reminds me DSLR cameras. They followed in the steps of film SLR cameras where you need a mirror in front of the film that will reflect the light towards the viewfinder but needs to be retracted when making the actual picture. A totally unnecessary mechanical complexity. And a digital camera doesn't need that at all because you can directly project on the sensor and look through the electronic display without the need for a mirror. Took them years to realize that. Which is why Canon and Nikon lag behind Sony now. (All of them suffer because of smartphone photography anyway)

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
MacMacMac #2981627 05/20/20 11:32 AM
J
jeffcat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
You have experience with manufacturing costs?
... they can easily slide an aluminum extrusion under the plastic and it'd cost next to nothing.

Yes, I am a cnc machinist. I am the factory.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland LX706 Review
by Colin Miles - 12/04/20 06:41 AM
Best Headphones for Digital Piano - your experience
by lukasz-zsakul - 12/04/20 05:10 AM
Is the Hailun 218 solid spruce?
by Sonepica - 12/04/20 04:55 AM
Schiff talked about Bartók's style of playing
by symphonicdance - 12/04/20 01:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,254
Posts3,030,353
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission