2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (Carey, c++, accordeur, anotherscott, brdwyguy, CraiginNZ, Bostonmoores, 10 invisible), 489 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
A
A
Originally Posted by jotur
24. pianistamy – Bluebird – very lyrica and flowing. Again, a nice balance between the hands.

Thank you so much! :-D

Originally Posted by Gombessa
24. pianistamy - Bluebird This is an excellent performance, I have to say it’s one of my favorites so far. It’s light, airly, and flits about as on a warm springtime morning.Brava! The piece itself is gorgeous as well, and really captures the theme. On a sidenote, while listening through the streaming player I thought you were on an acoustic piano, so clearly the tone is quite nice, the new digital piano suits you well!

Thank you also! I'm glad you hear and appreciate the beautiful piece of music - it's very uplifting; something we all need right about now! :-)

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
41 PianoPrimo

Many memories of those days . . . they were good. The music was good. Still is in places. Nice job here, I enjoyed that. Your Dylan Thomas poem does unearth more memories. I worked my last job in a Crematorium. Many are the clergy who witnessed those who fought death at its approach. One thing they all said. "It was horrible to see!"

42 Ganddalf

Wow! Such a happy piece! the sun must've been shining when he wrote this. I'll have to acquire it. Wonderful playing; reflects the music in a way only an experienced guy can do.

43 Mosotti

This is popular today. Very nice job. Everybody dows it different including me. It's magic. Love what you do with it. Instant relaxation

44 initK

A lovely song! French in feel with a touch of nostalgia, and nicely played.

45 hawgdriver

Soporific feel to this. A very short tune repeated, repeated. You played it very well, mind!

46 mel-lem

Splendid! So sparkly, full of life! Marvellous interpretation!

47 selfishplayer

Try taking it slower. It sounded like two recordings of the same piece. You have the right notes playing. Perhaps you've been doing each hand seperate for too long. You'll get there easily if you take your time!

48 QuasiUniFantasia

This is another piece folk play differently from each other. As long as you don't listen to Langlang's version, you'll do all right . . . well, maybe it could do wi speeding up a tad, but these things take time, we all know that. Your notes are good. You're 80% there. Well done!

49 MrPozer

Love Bach. Great work; love to listen to more!

50 Shiro Kuro

I heard Einaud during a concert (YT!) and it was lovely stuff, but the piano was augmented by an orchestra! You could write some lovevly melodies over this.
Reminds me of some of the film score from "The beach", All Saints were the girls who sang it originally.
What you did sounded very nice!

51 Pathbreaker

Exciting, vibrant! and with such contrasts! Oh yes! loved it.

52 winterflower

Keep these coming. You can find yourself in very interesting places whilst improvising, A simple theme can be developed nicely, at the most unlikely time. Like a winter flower . .

53 Ivojnovic

I enjoyed this! You did a great job! Mistakes are only bad when you can't correct them or retrieve the song. I heard none. Did you know the pros edit mistakes out of their recordings?

55 Purrblast

You've come along well. Onwards and upwards for you. And these Bach pieces are such fun!

54 SamS

You know, we've had lots o' Bach here , and usually do. It can be hard stuff to get yer fingers round sometimes. Good job here, Sam on what appears to be an awkward rhythm.

56 Plyamo

Tchaik's stuff is lovely. Some of the simpler stuff is still hard for me. I tried "Winter" from the "Young" album. I was found wanting.
This sounded as it should; had the right downcast child feel to it. Good work!

We all enjoy these recitals and I thank all involved in the running, and the taking part! Here's to the next one . . . . . . Cheers! Hope things are better then. Keep well, guys!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Three of four, will finish off the last 10 later today.

19. Ted Jones - Improvisation - concluding few minutes of sixty Wow, this is really impressive! Improvisation is such a black box to me, and hear how wide-ranging you take this is eye-opening. It winds to and fro, seems to lose its place and find its way over and over again. Beautiful ornamentations too, each of which would take me hours of practice to pull off.

18. thepianoplayer416 - Contrapunctus 1 (The Art of Fugue) Oh wow an organ piece, a great change of pace. I guess the organ doesn’t really allow for dynamics, but you do well with timing/tempo to convey the journey of the piece.

17. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Farewell to Stromness This piece really evokes a sense of landscape, nature and openness; you play it in a way that gives it a sense of dignity and slight melancholy, which is quite beautiful. Thanks for submitting it!

16. EdmondRhapsody - Castle in the Sky I’m a fan of Joe Hisaishi and Ghibli as well (and my kids love to watch the movies). Your playing is wonderful and tender, it really evokes the image of a fairytale/bygone era.I think you’ve really captured the spirit of the piece nicely.

15. Serge88 - Theme from New York, New York A fine rendition, a fun song to listen to (and presumably to play). I can sense a lot of tricky holds in the melody for dramatic tension that must be tricky to pull off in performance, and you do it well.

14. Ruth CM - Waltz in A Flat Major, Op. 69 No. 1 A wonderful performance! Fluid, comfortable, and such a nice job on those fast runs; they not only sound natural/effortless, but you also incorporate them into the piece seamlessly. The only thing I can say that may have detracted a bit was that your recording may not have captured the full dynamic range of your playing, there were a few instances where i could hear the swells of a crescendo but the volume didn’t change much?

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - You And I Gorgeous playing, and such a nice upright piano tone. I felt carried away by the wash of sound from those chords. I was also really taken by the “open window” recording style, the birdsong in the background really added to the ambiance.

12. JJHLH - Prelude in E flat minor, Op. 16, No. 4 You play this very nicely for only having a year’s worth of experience; I think you demonstrate real musicality with your grasp of touch and timing. I felt it was also very genuine, and you made the piece sing.

11. Ido - k330, 2nd movement - Andante catabile I really enjoyed this performance, Ido. Nicely done. You execute it cleanly, and are able to invoke a lot of feeling into the piece. You’re also very comfortable taking your time with it (there are a few moments when I’d be tense just waiting to strike the next note, but you make the right decision to let it linger).

10. Sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Thanksgiving Thoroughly enjoyable and so well played. I closed my eyes and leaned back in my chair to listen to this.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
I want to thank you all for taking the time to listen and comment on my piece, especially to Ido, MarieJ, piano_primo, Pianist685, Gombessa and peterws. I have always felt extra inspired and motivated after listening to all the submissions in the past recitals. I hope I will be able to participate more in the upcoming recitals.

Also, Thank you Sam for organizing recitals and maintaining the ABF Recital Index!

40 Pieces Challenge 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
41. PianoPrimo - The Sound of Silence I thought this was a very nice arrangement. I like your dynamics. Your Dylan Thomas poem was certainly fitting to the times!

42. Ganddalf - Playtime from Summerland suite A very charming piece. I am unfamiliar with the composer. I like the light, skipping touch that you give it. Well played!

43. Mosotti - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples I love this piece! You did a good job of balancing the melody and the busy accompaniment. Great job for only 2 &1/2 years experience. Well done!

44. InitK (Natasha) - Toccata Nice touch with the added strings! Nicely played with a well projected melody and nice rubato.

45. Hawgdriver (Leon) - A Warm Place The title seems at odds with the mood of the piece. It sounds dark and brooding. You play it very well, with a well subdued accompaniment.

46. mel_lem (Melanie) - Sonatina in A minor I love this Sonatina. I have played it as well. I love your crisp articulation, and minimal use of the pedal. You bring out the energy in the piece.

47. selfishplayer - Fugue no21 WTC1 B flat Major Nice crisp articulation. It seems that your hands where a bit out of sync at times. It sounds like an ambitious project, and you are getting there.

48. QuasiUnaFantasia - La Fille aux cheveux de lin I like the tempo that you chose. You did a nice job with this piece. The light, floaty feeling is perfect.

49. MrPozor - Aria in D Minor, BWV 515 I respect what you are doing by going through easier pieces to build your base. It will pay off! You played this very well and very competently. You have a nice balance between the voices and a great tempo.

50. ShiroKuro - Ascent Classic Einaudi! You play the piece very well.

51. Pathbreaker - Brahms Walzer Opus 39 No. 1 I love Brahms waltzes. You played this very expressively. You use the dynamic range well. Great job.

52. winterflower - snowdrift flaking This has an mystical flair to it. I love the wandering melody. Well done.

53. lvojnovic - Sonata in D major, 1. movement Very nice Haydn! You have captured the classical style very well. Very competently played.

54. Sam S - Aria from Goldberg Variations Beautifully played. You controlled the voices very well and presented great clarity in the lines.

55. Purrblast - Little Prelude in C minor (BWV 934) More Bach! You played this very well, keeping a steady pace and forward motion. I like your crisp detached left hand playing.

56. piyamo - The sick doll, Op.68 No. 7 Nice, peaceful approach to the this piece. You captured the sadness well.

As always- thanks to SamS for keeping the recital going, and to all of the participants for sharing their work. I really enjoyed listening!

I listened to few more performances today. This recital keeps giving...

26. SwissMS/Doris - Saraband in D Minor I love this piece. Thank you for your sensitive performance. It was really sweet to encounter it and I enjoyed your playing!

27. facdo - SWW in A major, Op.19 No.4 This is simply great! One of my favorite pieces ever and did it justice. Your progress is amazing these last 12 months or so.

28. sinophilia - Memphis Blues Great! I really enjoyed your performance. I understand how frustrating recording can be, this is the area I need to work on, but you make it look easy. I find that often the best version is the first one attempted first thing in the morning. After that… frustration and overthinking. Again, I really liked your playing, I listened to it again today, just for fun 😉

43. Mosotti - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples Lovely performance and quality recording. You made it swing gently and made me wish it would just go on and on. Thank you!

45. Hawgdriver (Leon) - A Warm Place This was surprising and very good listen. Very impressive, kept me at attention entire time.

... and couple more

40. JoBert - Treasures from the Sea Love Martha Mier and your videos. It is indeed very nice calm piece. Thank you for nice quality submission, very enjoyable as always.

41. PianoPrimo - The Sound of Silence Fun! Great sound too. Nice job!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
12. JJHLH - Prelude in E flat minor, Op. 16, No. 4
Wonderful interpretation. You play with sensitivity and expression, as if you have had many years of experience. Well done!

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - You And I
Appealing piece, played skillfully. Great job!

14. Ruth CM - Waltz in A Flat Major, Op. 69 No. 1
I love Chopin's music and dearly wish I could play it, and this is one of my favs. That was lovely.

15. Serge88 - Theme from New York, New York
Yes, happy new year! Where's Frank? Love that song. Great arrangement, well played.

18. thepianoplayer416 - Contrapunctus 1 (The Art of Fugue)
Yes – the genius of Bach! I used to play a Hammond organ, always wished I could play Bach. Seems very demanding because of the hand independence required, and the challenge of bringing out individual voices. Very well played, very listenable.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
So much music I've not heard before in this group and a huge diversity of styles, yet the quality remains high.

18. thepianoplayer416 - Contrapunctus 1 (The Art of Fugue)

Now that was something completely different. I do feel like I could have been in Church. I've no idea how to judge and all I can say is enjoyed the listen.

19. Ted Jones - Improvisation - concluding few minutes of sixty

The juxtaposition with the organ music immediately before is really something. Somehow it manages to remain under control and hold interest with my brain trying to find a consistent pattern but fails. Somehow it manages to avoid just being a discordant mash, well done Ted.

20. Riddler (Ed) - Stella by Starlight

I feel like I can picture the jazz bar where this might be played. One of those show off cocktail makers behind the bar. I love it when music creates images in my mind of what might be.

21. sandalholme - Suite in G Minor

Wow, from organ to classical improv, then jazz and now I am listening to a harpsichord. Where else can I get a such an interesting and enjoyable music to listen to. I am no judge but this sound really well played.

22. Snejana - Medley of Scherzo and Waltz

I see what you mean by cerebral in nature. I love the sound you can get out of your Casio, such a delicate sound and really good dynamic control. I enjoyed that.

23. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Skyfall

I've always enjoyed your playing and musical choices, and this is no different. I love the sound of this. I'm glad someone convinced you to keep contributing to ABF forums. Clearly you are no beginner, but this is a journey that never ends.

24. pianistamy - Bluebird

Beautiful. I've just let time slip by listening to this and then it was done. This is a really beautiful piece and your touch and sense of timing really makes it shine. Congrats on your CA79, it is doing you proud.

25. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 20 in G major, 2nd mvmt

Oh what fun. Whimsical, yes and it sounds like you are having a lot of fun with it. We need more of these kind of interpretations. Such a lovely articulated touch you have. Looking forward to the day when I have the kind of musical surety that I can play with the music like you've done here.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks to anyone who commented on my piece, Note that it is NOT the version from the Rock Group "Disturbed' Although I like that one also. It is an original score written from Paul Simon

As far the poem posted in my submission by Dylan Thomas . I took it to mean that a father was telling his son in his final moments not to give up easily on life until rightly so , but also not to be like Icarus with ambition.-

I'll be posting my last comments soon .. this was a great , interesting and lively recital .

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.5- Moderato (to do)
Nice sound and well played

02. Calavera - Roses of May (to do)
Nice comeback!

03. Gombessa - Frozen 2 - Show Yourself (to do)
Great playing.

04. MarieJ - The Family (to do)
Nicely done and

05. KevinM - Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4 (to do)
Well played

06. Greta99 - Elizabeth (to do)
Good playing, I never heard of this composer.

07. Peterws - A Pensive Place (to do)
Great composition !

08. barbaram - Lyric Pieces Op 12 No 5 Folk Melody (to do)
Nice performance !

09. Peyton - Rue de Cascades (Improvisation) (to do)
Well done, I love it.

10. Sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Thanksgiving (to do)
Beautifully and sensitively played.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Here's the last set of comments from me:

09. Peyton - Rue de Cascades (Improvisation) A beautifully improvised arrangement. While I’m not familiar with the source material, it did sound like you threw caution to the wind and just went for it. Worked for me!

08. barbaram - Lyric Pieces Op 12 No 5 Folk Melody A very nice rendition of a Grieg Lyric (one of the very pieces I’ve actually heard before in this recital). Short indeed, but full of feeling and intimation, and your bring it forth wonderfully. An excellent listen.

07. Peterws - A Pensive Place (to do) As I was listening, I thought of how smooth and flowing this piece is. It’s a beautiful composition; in my mind it starts out tentative and reflective, and then starts to cast it off in a quest for answers. And if I can leak a bit of the DP subforum, this piece so well suits the warm, woody tone of the Bosendorfer sound on the P-515 (I gotta ask if you composed the piece with that patch in mind)?

06. Greta99 - Elizabeth A really good performance! Very organic and flowing, and played with care. It really captures the themes from the piece, which convey a sense of fondness and affectionate tribute.

05. KevinM - Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4 Quite a study in contrast! The first piece is lively and frenetic, like young boys at play. The second is soft and gentle, like a well-deserved rest. Good job on each! It does seem like your focus on the first piece was to mainly to play at tempo? If you do end up polishing it, I think the two pieces actually go very well together and would love to hear you develop the duo more.

04. MarieJ - The Family Well done. I wonder what kind of family this piece refers to? Part of me thinks it could even be a Don Corleone family wink But I close my eyes, and I can see deep, purple-hued clouds passing by. You really put a lot of feeling into this and it shows.

03. Gombessa - Frozen 2 - Show Yourself I'll save my thoughts on my own performance for another post.

02. Calavera - Roses of May Simply beautifully played, What a great showpiece, it ventures into the tender, evocative, twists to adventure and exploration, and enters realms of grand majesty, and you execute it all flawlessly. I really like that the piece stands on its own as music as well, it’s not just a tropey videogame/jrpg melody. I listened a few times and enjoyed it more each playthrough.

01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.5- Moderato A great way to start the recital! Wonderful playing, and the piece really shows a more sensitive side of Rach (most of what I’ve heard are really powerful, grand concertos). Also it clearly gets deceptively technical and difficult halfway through, which your description documents well. I think you tackle it with aplomb, bravo!

Again, thanks to everyone for making such an enjoyable experience, and special thanks to Sam S for going through what is clearly a ton of work every quarter to make this series happen!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
31. Jason Lenthe – Prelude – Well, that was fun 😊 I perked right up listening to it. Good job.

34. Peter Hontaru – Kinderszenen – Charming, and it had good movement and phrasing. Very nice.

37. Keselo – Early French Song – Isn’t fun just sit down and play something that’s such a pleasure? And you played this with that kind of contentment and absorption in the music. I liked it a lot.

40. JoBert – Treasures from the Sea – Oh, lovely. Your shaping of the runs was quite nice, and yes, flowing was a good word for it. Mier is really an outstanding composer isn’t she?

41. PianoPrimo – The Sound of Silence – I liked the way you combined the lyrical with the dramatic bass, and I liked the melody in the left hand at the beginning – it sang well.

43. Mosotti – Of Foreign Lands and People – It may be “freaking hard” laugh but you did it justice – very nice atomosphere and phrasing.

45. Hawgdriver – A Warm Place – I’m always impressed by folks who can play those kinds of repeating bass notes with such feeling and not just as a hammer. There was actually expression in them – well done. A great sure touch in the right hand, too. So – maybe not a “warm” place so much as a place from which one will return with much more wholeness/confidence. Go forth!

47. selfishplayer – Fugue – I happen to like Bach so it’s hard for me not to like this even if it was actually “terrible playing” laugh Isn’t it amazing how others hear us differently than we hear ourselves? I smiled the minute this started 😊

48. QuasiUnaFantasia - La Fille aux cheveux de lin – I know the “5 weeks isn’t enough” feeling – I’d been working on mine since at least January smirk it was very nice, lovely. I think what happens is that as we get better we can *hear* better, and thus know better what it could actually be like. So I’m going to keep working on mine, too, and one of these days we’ll have to compare notes about about how much we’ve learned. I liked this very much.

I've got a few more to go, but I'll have to say there hasn't been a clunker in the bunch. I've enjoyed everything so far.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
K
K
I really appreciate how kind and welcoming everyone is here. Nobody's pushing down, and everyone's eager to share. It's a wonderful community and I'm glad I'm able to share and experience all this music-making.
One of the nice things about this recital (and this forum) is that there are so many different styles of music on display here. Everyone is taking a different path and it's really nice to get a sampling of so many different genres of music. I wish I had time to learn them all!

More comments, and I'll hope to get through the rest tomorrow!

12. JJHLH - Prelude in E flat minor, Op. 16, No. 4 - Well now I'm off to learn some Scriabin. This was quite mellow and calming; I loved the harmonies.
14. Ruth CM - Waltz in A Flat Major, Op. 69 No. 1 - Note perfect! I really enjoyed the tempo changes and the rubato you took throughout - it was just the right amount of flexibility. Would love to hear you play this on an acoustic.
20. Riddler (Ed) - Stella by Starlight - I really enjoyed how you intersperse improvisation with the melody. The fact that you choose to vary the harmonic structure here and there makes it really fun to listen to.
22. Snejana - Medley of Scherzo and Waltz - These are short little toys; you really bring some nice character out in them. The scherzo was jumpy and exciting and the waltz was subdued and somber. Great playing!
23. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Skyfall - I have fond memories of watching this movie and belting out Adele in the subsequent months (much to the dismay of those around me). This was a nice rendition; it sounds like it was a bombastic fun piece to play.
25. PikaPianist - Piano Sonata No. 20 in G major, 2nd mvmt - Fascinatingly clean playing paired with wonderful articulation. The ornamental phrases really sing. I hope you get a chance to play the first movement; I think you'd really do it justice. I'm sorry to hear you were stuck on the cruise ship, and I hope you returned safely! On the bright side, I'm glad you had access to a piano! I never seem to find places with keyboards when travelling.
27. facdo - SWW in A major, Op.19 No.4 - I really enjoyed your voicing of the melody throughout. I hope I get to hear the rest of op. 19 from you soon.
29. WTM - Impromptu in A-flat Major, op. 142, No. 2 (D. 935) - I enjoyed listening (to the mp3 :D). Schubert is so delicate and you play this quite well. I would try playing through the A section with a metronome and no rubato a few times; watch the articulation and pedal-work too, you should be able to hear the silences between phrases.
30. dumka1 - Sonata in E Minor, Hob XVI:34, 3rd movement - Bravo! It's so difficult to get a perfect sound with no pedal and constant 16th notes in the left hand.
31. Jason Lenthe - Prelude in C Minor (WTC Book 1) - Nice job. Have you experimented with different styles of phrasing? I feel like this piece can be played at least a dozen different ways depending on how you want to vary dynamics. I wish you luck on the fugue.
34. Peter Hontaru - Kinderszenen 1 - I really appreciate your playing and your videos and enjoy seeing your progress! Looking forward to getting through 40 pieces a year with you!

I'd also like to thank everyone for the kind words about my playing!

Originally Posted by hawgdriver
If you consider the piano as a 'voice-brain conduit' more than just a musical device, something that communicates human emotion (the 'voice') and expresses human *things* through musical language, my comment is along the lines of 'what you say is compelling, you have made your presence known and now you have my full attention'. For me personally, Chopin is the best 'voice-brain machine' composer--his pieces (for me) most allow that kind of human articulation and expression
This performance is unusually clean--seems very crisp and non-pedaled compared to much Chopin I hear. I appreciate the precision and ... clean-ness ... of it, but I'm one of those weird types that sometimes likes it when all the piano strings are muddy and sonorous. What you play, I like it. It seems like it would be hard to do. I do notice the silence between phrases, and I might sometimes expect to hear the auditory equivalent of a white canvas covered in a thin coat of background paint...if that makes sense. Anyone else get that impression? Very pure playing.
My only suggestion is to continue to hone the PCF section--it needs more presto and more con fuoco. It's a good performance, but part of the joy of the Ballade is that reckless rush of a fiery PCF.
Yes I definitely get what you're saying and feel that way about Chopin. He's easily one of the most enjoyable composers to play, while also bringing so much emotion to his music.
(wouter79 mentioned too about DP silences) I think I'm still working through what is the best way to record with my keyboard. What I hear when I'm playing is not at all the same thing that ends up getting recorded, considering echos, keyboard technology, and probably other things that I don't even realize. I'm playing around with it and hope to make my recordings even higher quality! If anyone has suggestions about how to use a MIDI recording to my advantage, I'd love to see it. Right now I'm just recording the audio on my keyboard (even though it has an option for recording MIDI).

I definitely think I took too much time in the silences in the Moderato opening section (as well as the other two sections that mirror it later in the piece). As you can imagine, the PCF is a constant work in progress, and I don't think I'll ever get to a satisfying point with it.

Originally Posted by piano_primo
Just curious[need not be answered] ... how long of a break from piano?...How long did it take to get to this point with this piece?... how old are you now?
I was out of commission roughly between 21-27. I, of course biting off a bit more than I could chew, took this piece up when I started playing again around a year ago.

Wow. I don’t know what what to say here. Ballade No. 1 has been my personal Everest, and hearing you belt out those runs and arpeggios with such clarity is breathtaking, especially since you’re also returning from a long hiatus. I only really notice two things of comment: 1) from the first chord it sounded quite obvious to me that you weren’t playing on an acoustic, there’s something in the piece that makes it hard for digitals; 2) my own interpretive preference for this piece is Krystian Zimerman (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce8p0VcTbuA), but I can tell you didn’t pull off a bench swap at 8:00 as expertly as he ;), so your pacing seemed a bit slow at this point.
I hope I get to hear a rendition from you one day! I wish I could play as well as Zimerman! He's easily my favorite player of Chopin.

I'm kschwarz1116 on youtube

Unless I mention otherwise, I always like constructive feedback.
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
19. Ted Jones - Improvisation - concluding few minutes of sixty Wow, this is really impressive! Improvisation is such a black box to me, and hear how wide-ranging you take this is eye-opening. It winds to and fro, seems to lose its place and find its way over and over again. Beautiful ornamentations too, each of which would take me hours of practice to pull off.

Originally Posted by KevinM
19. Ted Jones - Improvisation - concluding few minutes of sixty
The juxtaposition with the organ music immediately before is really something. Somehow it manages to remain under control and hold interest with my brain trying to find a consistent pattern but fails. Somehow it manages to avoid just being a discordant mash, well done Ted.

Thanks for listening, I am pleased it contains something of interest to a few listeners. Had I been any good at classical or jazz I probably would not have taken the musical path I have. I am not helpless at those genres but they don't move me very often and I keep wanting to change things and fly off on tangents while playing them. Personal free improvisation is just an obsessive lifelong habit which happens to suit me but I realise it is not everybody's cup of tea.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
11. Ido - k330, 2nd movement - Andante catabile A lovely clean, gentle touch, with plenty of light, shade and variety to keep your audience attentive all the way through. Terrific!

10. Sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Thanksgiving ‘Contemplative’ would be the most accurate description of the piece, and your sensitive performance brought out all of the reflective nuances of the score. I did as you suggested and also listened to your super performance of Winston's arrangement of the Pachelbel. A double treat! thumb

09. Peyton - Rue de Cascades (Improvisation) Wow - Peyton - fabulous! It should always be played this way (but of course improvisations are never completely repeatable). More throwing of caution to the winds, please, if this is the brilliant result!

08. barbaram - Lyric Pieces Op 12 No 5 Folk Melody Delicate and polished with loads of sparkle from those ornaments. What’s not to like?! Beautiful.

07. Peterws - A Pensive Place Another genuine original composition. I loved the meditative atmosphere of the piece, this one was a delight.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXI

My C3 - solace. And joy.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Really enjoyed this recital, not only the music but in part because I was able to fully listen to everybody and leave comments.
The last year was hectic for me. Who knows why some time periods seem hectic and others not? ...got me..
But here's my ending comments and hope to be in one again maybe in 6 months ...
Cheers, and best blessings!

51. Pathbreaker - Brahms Walzer Opus 39 No. 1 Super well played dynamics and touch , ...expressive... and excellent recording.

52. winterflower - snowdrift flaking Viry light and airy piece, little hard to hear. But I suppose that might be intentional. Enjoyed the listen. Almost wind-chime-ish....or oriental in it's harmonic style.

53. lvojnovic - Sonata in D major, 1. movement Impressive hurdle of a piece , well played enjoyed the listen .

54. Sam S - Aria from Goldberg Variations Well played delicate and exact. Enjoyed the listening .

55. Purrblast - Little Prelude in C minor (BWV 934) I liked this , good recording.

56. piyamo - The sick doll, Op.68 No. 7 Noticeable sympathetic resonant sound to your piano recording. Nice piece and enjoyed the listen.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Kevin1116
As you can imagine, the PCF is a constant work in progress, and I don't think I'll ever get to a satisfying point with it.

I'm not so sure you won't get there. If I was in your shoes, I might kill a few dozen hours finding out... wink You don't need to be Wunder or Horowitz speed, maybe just shave off a few seconds...

Heck of a difficult piece, I dream of one day being as good as you.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
26. SwissMS/Doris - Saraband in D Minor

This was just lovely. I've not been much of a fan of Handel. This is a beautiful piece and you played it with such grace. I need to keep it in mind to learn for myself one day.

27. facdo - SWW in A major, Op.19 No.4

I love Mendelssohn's songs without words. This is a lovely interpretation of this piece with a nice rhythm you give to it. Played with sensitivity of someone who loves them also. Thank you.

28. sinophilia - Memphis Blues

I love the feel you give this. Another piece I'm going to need to add to my list of pieces to learn. A good choice, nicely played.

29. WTM - Impromptu in A-flat Major, op. 142, No. 2 (D. 935)

You add a good amount of darkness to the beginning of this piece. Sensitively played and you give it a good sound with your Bechstein.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm really grateful for all the comments on my submission, thank you.

I've taken a technical leap forward on the listening side and found a way to play the recital through my Sonos system at home, which has been really enjoyable.That has meant though that I've been listening while doing other things, and therefore not making notes. I hope to do that in the coming days.

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Editing Solo Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 04/18/21 07:42 PM
Borgato speaks about piano craft
by VladK - 04/18/21 07:14 PM
Modernised classics.
by treefrog - 04/18/21 06:39 PM
Brahms Hungarian Dance #5
by Works1 - 04/18/21 05:57 PM
Recommendations on interesting YouTube lectures?
by ZigZagStory - 04/18/21 05:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,382
Posts3,083,924
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission