2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, anotherscott, 1957, Abdol, 3B43, Auraltuner, 16 invisible), 471 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Recital #58 --- General Discussion Room
AB Forum Recital #2979654 05/15/20 10:19 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
17. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Farewell to Stromness
That is a beautiful miniature, exquisitely played. I am a sucker for a certain sentiment in the music of Bridge, Bax, Ireland and Finzi, and although Maxwell-Davies was younger it seems to me the spirit of this piece harks back to the intense nostalgia of that earlier English group. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by Ted; 05/15/20 10:20 PM.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
AB Forum Recital #2979656 05/15/20 10:23 PM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Another great roll-up with 56 wonderful entries to enjoy - the ABF is certainly holding its own in the popularity stakes. Once again, many thanks to Sam for his hard work with Recitals (and that fabulous Index), and his early starts the day!

I’m going to work backwards again this time as I know how impatiently many at the ‘tail end’ look forward to some - any - feedback. Not that mine is of any use technically, but it is genuinely appreciative smile.

56. piyamo - The sick doll, Op.68 No. 7 A calming, restful finale to the Recital. Your handling of the dynamics and your sensitive touch clearly demonstrated that this piece was a favourite.

55. Purrblast - Little Prelude in C minor (BWV 934) It certainly ‘doesn’t sound that bad’ - it was excellent. I can’t help but notice that you’re only two years into your piano journey - well done!

54. Sam S - Aria from Goldberg Variations I’m limiting my technical feedback to the hardware. What a contrast in the video - a beautiful classic C3, paired with all of the latest toys of the digital age - phone, iPad and pencil (put to good use, judging by the markings on the score), foot pedal there somewhere, and the new Zoom. You put them to good use, loved the picture-in-picture video and your fine performance.

53. lvojnovic - Sonata in D major, 1. movement I’m the world’s worst when it comes to trying for a recording without mistakes, so I can sympathise. But we are all our own toughest critics; very few in an audience would even ‘notice’, let alone ‘mind’. Most enjoyable!

52. winterflower - snowdrift flaking I didn’t recognise any ‘quotes’. The title seems appropriate for an improvisation with a tranquil, vaguely Oriental flavour.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LIX

My C3 - solace. And joy.
AB Forum Recital #2979689 05/16/20 12:28 AM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
54. Sam S - Aria from Goldberg Variations
I haven't listened extensively to this sort of music for years but hearing it from your articulate hands I can understand why Aldous Huxley called it "pure spirit". It has an eternal quality and, on another level, is a conduit into the old world, like looking through a bottle glass window. I have to say that your posture and technique look exemplary, exactly as we are told we should play. Mine on the other hand ought not to be seen in daylight hours, and my piano sits in a rat's nest of rubbish. Seriously though, very good indeed.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
AB Forum Recital #2979691 05/16/20 12:34 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
51. Pathbreaker - Brahms Walzer Opus 39 No. 1 A colourful performance, with strong contrasts between heavy bass and clear high treble notes. A piece I hadn’t heard before, and one that I really enjoyed.

50. ShiroKuro - Ascent ShiroKuro that was beautiful, Monica was there right through your performance and I suddenly found my self wiping tears. I’m so glad you submitted it.

49. MrPozor - Aria in D Minor, BWV 515 Lovely clear sound, well played. It seems that you’ve hit on the right recipe for motivation and progress, honing your reading skills rather than relying purely on memory. Congratulations on your return!

48. QuasiUnaFantasia - La Fille aux cheveux de lin I found your rendition delightful indeed, you must have worked particularly hard in the past 5 weeks to achieve so much!

47. selfishplayer - Fugue no21 WTC1 B flat Major Bach certainly isn’t the easiest composer to tackle, so full marks for bravery smile. I’m the last person qualified to offer advice, but perhaps you are attempting to play too fast before you are really ready, so fingers (and sometimes hands) trip over each other. Try taking it much more slowly, and see if it makes a difference.

My C3 - solace. And joy.
AB Forum Recital #2979725 05/16/20 04:09 AM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
13. B# Cyclist Dan - You and I

The melody of this one really grabbed me. Fantastic! I also like the warm sound of the recording.

18. 416 - Contrapunctilius Art of the Fugue

Pretty cool. Serious old school sound, and the playing is spot on. I don't seek this out, but I enjoyed it much more than I expected. The cerebral side of me kinda perked up with dog ears and took note. Thank you.

23. 685 - Constantin Skyfall

I took pleasure in listening to this. It has a great combo of motive, brooding, and spice. (Because those things just go together so well :D) I enjoyed it, what else can I say?

24. Amy - Bluebird

This was a treat. A delightful song that I especially enjoyed.

27. Facdo - SWW in A maj

I particularly enjoyed this performance and recording.

29. WTM - D 935

Superb. Isn't Schubert the best? Well, except for sometimes Chopin. Yeah, and Mozart has his moments. Oh yeah, and Schumann and Debussy and Brahms. Oh yeah, and... laugh

I love Schubert, and for me it's hard to make him sound as musical as the great ones make him sound. So this is great stuff.

30. dumka - Haydn xvi 34 3d mvt

Really, really excellent playing. I hear you play and I think 'you know, maybe I need to add some Haydn to my rep' which seems a fair compliment.

Lenthe - Cm Bach prelude

This sounds like a blast to play. Some things bring me a more exquisite feeling from the direct connection I have when I'm in the act of creating the music, this sound like that kind of thing. It's also a hoot to listen to, but to actually be on that edge creating it is probably quite satisfying.

Cathy - Chrysanthemum

Wow you are killing it these days. We'll have to do another party sometime!

Peter H. - Schumann scene from childhood 1

The litmus test on this one is the swing feeling, and you really make it swing. So musical, and I don't think it's the easiest to make musical...but when you do, it's great. So many good performances in this recital.

51. Pathbreaker - Brahms Waltz op 39/1

OMG I love these op 39 waltzes. Lipatti has a recording and when I heard it I fell in love. I am particularly smitten with #15 but this one also says so much with so few notes. Well done.

53. Ivo-J - D maj sonata (from someone? if I had to guess this is ... Mozart. Has to be. Let's check...omg this is Haydn. wow I need to rethink some things.)

Such a fantastic job with the melody. And the counter-melody. If that's actually a thing. I get an actual two-voice dynamic going on here, an argument, even if amicable. I like your style Ivojnovic.

56. piyamo - The sick doll

I love these somewhat goth dark pieces way more than I should. Well, if you listen to virtually anything I record, this is no surprise. My pieces like to cut themselves because it's the only way they can feel alive... cool j/k but maybe you know what I mean a little bit..

Sorry to get sidetracked. I like this piece, I really enjoyed listening to you play it. Sometimes the music chooses the player, and I get this feeling here. Thanks for sharing.

Wouter

This is superb, needed to make sure you knew I really appreciate your performance.

Peterws

Really enjoyed, thanks

Barbaram - Grieg Folk Melody

This one is a nice piece, isn't it? I loved listening to you play it.

Shepherd A. - Thanksgiving (Winston, right?)

Your playing is exquisite. Great piece of music. But oh em gee I need to know what you are doing for recording. It sounds so great.

Ido - k330

I really, really want to add this to my rep after listening to you. Mozart doesn't do moody as often as I wish, but when he does, it's like the most powerful elixir. You brought it out. Are you doing the whole sonata? I don't know what was going on at the time with WAM, but K330-332 are unreal. If I could play well enough, I'd love to be able to perform any of them.

I know I'm leaving out some personal memories from my listen today, there is one that is scratching at the back of my mind. But it's late and I'll listen more later. I appreciate what you all do so much, and in particular the dedication of the regulars and the steady work of Sam S.

Thanks also to Monica and Mr. SH, you have made a thing that matters and will endure for a time. Enough that we remember and appreciate...

I remembered!

The Concord Sonata, Thoreau. Wow. That was somewhat epic. I felt like I was listening to Richter do a Prokofiev War Sonata. Really special performance and a treat--an adventure as you say. Thank you.

Last edited by hawgdriver; 05/16/20 04:16 AM.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
AB Forum Recital #2979729 05/16/20 04:37 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
46. mel_lem (Melanie) - Sonatina in A minor A bright, sparkling, spirited performance. That was as much fun to listen to, as it obviously was to play.

45. Hawgdriver (Leon) - A Warm Place That doesn’t sound like ‘a warm place’ to me, I could only imagine it as ‘a dark place’! (I checked out Vika’s version and thought hers was even darker.) There was something haunting about it, though, and your rendition really captured the atmosphere.

44. InitK (Natasha) - Toccata No, I didn’t recognise the piece - but I did like it. I thought the strings were subtle enough not to intrude, and enjoyed your performance!

43. Mosotti - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples “Freaking hard’ to play - as the score in your video clearly demonstrated - but SO easy to listen to. Delicately played, it was delight.

42. Ganddalf - Playtime from Summerland suite I didn’t want Playtime to end! Ganddalf, that was gorgeous.

My C3 - solace. And joy.
hawgdriver #2979731 05/16/20 04:51 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
Kevin1116 - Ballade No. 1 in G minor Op. 23

More than anything, I want to congratulate you on your accomplishment. ... Bravo.

I do notice the silence between phrases, and I might sometimes expect to hear the auditory equivalent of a white canvas covered in a thin coat of background paint...if that makes sense. Anyone else get that impression? Very pure playing.

Yes I agree with your comments (great performance!) and also about the silences. The silences on a DP sound dead. It's where you should hear the player himself and his environment especially well. One of the reasons I suggested to get a nice grand.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Peyton #2979734 05/16/20 04:56 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Peyton
Originally Posted by wouter79
Peyton nice. How did you create the sound at 1:09 a split second before 1:10 (2 short identical notes with a weird sound)? It sounds like a partially dampened string or so.

I've heard it too but not exceptionally pleased by it. You may be right that it's a partially dampened string. Just some kind of strange percussive sound. Certainly not doing it on purpose... But if you like it I'll take credit for it... smile

Yes you can take the credit if you can explain how you do it smile I can understand you don't like it at that place. But it's a special sound that I'd like to have in my vocabulary too :-) So that's why I'm asking. Is it possibly some kind of hammer rebound?

Last edited by wouter79; 05/16/20 04:59 AM.

AB Forum Recital #2979737 05/16/20 05:05 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Peyton
Beautifully played. Well recorded too. I do not believe I have ever listened to this piece before. There are lots of intreaging parts but I especially love the bass notes and the way they echo the melody. Boy, lots of work went into learning this one. Well done.

Peyton thanks for your nice comments!

AB Forum Recital #2979743 05/16/20 05:36 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Kevin1116
Loved this start to the recital. I really enjoy all the color in this piece! You do a really nice job of bringing out the deep ominous feelings. All of the Rachmaninoff etudes are quite challenging. I'd be interested in hearing how you studied the veloce middle section.

I hope you will find place for a grand soon!

Yes this piece contains so many nice colors, strings like, full organ , like an echo of an organ, bells, and even sounds I can only describe with colors like purple. I tried to stretch some of these wonderful sounds but there's only so much you can stretch a single note ;-)

That middle section, yes that is tough. I studied it separately, in many ways.

First of course you have to figure out the right fingering. This must be right at the start, because if you make a mistake here you screw yourself really hard when you try to speed up and that is months later. I double checked my fingerings with my teacher and we fixed a bunch.

Then comes the hard drilling of all these weird notes. It's just 5 measures but they cover a full page so it's not trivial. Everything has to be put in memory plus muscle memory. there's no chance I can read these notes, of even a tenth of them, at actual speed. If you make an error at speed there's not much you can do. The only thing you can do if you notice one finger slips off is to not play that note. I think I had that one or two times here. If your hand moves wrong, you're out.

I used many methods here, slow play, practice in rhythms, play only part of the notes, etc.

In the end, it comes down mostly to muscle memory. Your hands have to be in the right spot with the right fingers in place immediately and only muscle memory can do that for me. What I do consciously is 'think' the next hand position just before I make the muscle memory move.

And you, how do you practice the tricky parts?

AB Forum Recital #2979745 05/16/20 05:43 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ido
really liked it. Very good dynamics and tone production, very sensitive interpretation. The obvious issue with the performance is the faster part which starts at 2:25. I suggest isolating the fast passages and bringing them gradually to the level of the rest. You don’t have to do this with this piece, you can turn them into little etudes or work on other pieces which have similar challenges and then go back to this piece with a fresh perception.
Having said that, it’s really a great performance and I enjoyed it!

Thanks Ido for your detailed comment! Thanks also for the careful description of what I need to work on.

Maybe you can clarify in more detail what you hear that needs more work? And maybe have an idea how to practice that specifically ? I have some ideas on how to improve this part, but no idea yet on how to realize that. But you may perceive different issues or see different priorities.

AB Forum Recital #2979756 05/16/20 06:42 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for another great recital!

Here are the votes of the QuasiUnaFantasia jury (batch 1/3):

(Actually, they are not votes at all, and I'm just a single person who is normally not even in two minds about anything, let alone able to constitute a jury). smile

01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.5- Moderato
Impressive performance. It seems (to me) rather difficult, and quite cryptic. Nice choice!

02. Calavera - Roses of May
Apparently effortless and flawless. Half of it sounded like a Chopin etude in a very modern setting.

03. Gombessa - Frozen 2 - Show Yourself
Confident and powerful playing; the music was new to me (I'm still on Frozen I).

04. MarieJ - The Family
Untroubled and deft execution of a rather hypnotic piece; by the end it had carried me deep into existentialist thoughts. No small trick, that.

05. KevinM - Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4
Playing "Hasche-Mann", and living to talk about it - kudos! But I preferred "Bittendes Kind"; elegant, and just the right level of soft.

06. Greta99 - Elizabeth
Perfect. Peaceful, calm, and all is well with the world.

07. Peterws - A Pensive Place
This was great to listen to with eyes closed after a hard day at work, just being carried far away.

08. barbaram - Lyric Pieces Op 12 No 5 Folk Melody
I think you captured both the occassionally odd rythm, and the works equally odd mood perfectly.

09. Peyton - Rue de Cascades (Improvisation)
Interesting. And nice technique! I don't know Tiersen at all, but it had a Glass-like vibe at times.

10. Sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Thanksgiving
Very nice! Made me think of movies from the early 80's. How innocent that time seems ...

11. Ido - k330, 2nd movement - Andante catabile
Sounded just right. Very impressive for three years of practice (also impressive for several more years of practice, for that matter).

12. JJHLH - Prelude in E flat minor, Op. 16, No. 4
Now, I don't know this piece, but I don't think you put one finger wrong. Very sorrowful mood.

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - You And I
Good rythmic control, good control overall. The piece, and composer, were new to me.

14. Ruth CM - Waltz in A Flat Major, Op. 69 No. 1
This was good all around, but first and foremost very elegant.

15. Serge88 - Theme from New York, New York
Delightful! We should have more of this kind of music in the recitals.

16. EdmondRhapsody - Castle in the Sky
Not quite my area, but it certainly seemed flawless to me.

17. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Farewell to Stromness
Another unknown (to me) work. I think you handled those complicated rythmic quirks in the music really expertly.

18. thepianoplayer416 - Contrapunctus 1 (The Art of Fugue)
That was like sitting in a church, listening to a professional organist. Well done!

19. Ted Jones - Improvisation - concluding few minutes of sixty
Flamboyant as usual. I don't think you'll be running out of ideas any time soon.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 6.7.3 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
wouter79 #2979765 05/16/20 07:01 AM
I
Ido Offline
I
Thanks Ido for your detailed comment! Thanks also for the careful description of what I need to work on.

Maybe you can clarify in more detail what you hear that needs more work? And maybe have an idea how to practice that specifically ? I have some ideas on how to improve this part, but no idea yet on how to realize that. But you may perceive different issues or see different priorities.

I listened again and also listened to some other performances of this piece on YouTube. It seems to be Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.7, not 5.
Now that I've seen the score I realize how advanced this piece is, and I understand better what's going on in the fast part. The YouTube performances really emphasized the bass notes, while the arpeggio is more of an effect - a wave around it. I think if you work toward that balance it will sound clearer. That being said - this is so much above my current abilities that I can't really advise here. Maybe one more thing - the triplets at the end - making them more even would also enhance the performance.

I really, really want to add this to my rep after listening to you. Mozart doesn't do moody as often as I wish, but when he does, it's like the most powerful elixir. You brought it out. Are you doing the whole sonata? I don't know what was going on at the time with WAM, but K330-332 are unreal. If I could play well enough, I'd love to be able to perform any of them.

Thank you!
I'm not doing the entire sonata, the 1st and 3rd movements are way above my abilities. However, my teacher gave me k332 first movement, which is also way beyond my reach...
Definitely give it a go, based on your performance here I think you'll do it justice.

Thanks everyone who listened and commented so far, I really appreciate it!

AB Forum Recital #2979768 05/16/20 07:11 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I hope you get some of the feels I get from it.

Oh yes, this is strange, a bit discomforting. Very well played. Interesting color shifts all along. It's not feeling like a warm place, but rather oppressed. You keep a great tempo and have the bass well keeps that steady pressure. Strangely a DP with the weird bass sound and sometimes sharp trebles actually seems to help with this piece and atmosphere. Nevertheless I'd like to hear this on a big grand let's say a Bösendorfer 275 smile

I tied to search for an acoustic piano version on the web but keep getting this version from nine inch nails but I don't see 'Reznor' mentioned. Is that the original or yet another interpretation? The atmosphere there is similar to what you are doing

Ido #2979770 05/16/20 07:23 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ido

I listened again and also listened to some other performances of this piece on YouTube. It seems to be Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.7, not 5.
Now that I've seen the score I realize how advanced this piece is, and I understand better what's going on in the fast part. The YouTube performances really emphasized the bass notes, while the arpeggio is more of an effect - a wave around it. I think if you work toward that balance it will sound clearer. That being said - this is so much above my current abilities that I can't really advise here. Maybe one more thing - the triplets at the end - making them more even would also enhance the performance.

Thanks Ido for the additional information. Maybe the original number was 7 but Rachmaninoff dropped 3 of the 8 so it became number 5 in the official publication order.

>The YouTube performances really emphasized the bass notes

Yes I can see what you mean. I think the section would benefit from clearer bringing out some line(s). I like the top as well but maybe this is too confusing at speed.

>the triplets at the end - making them more even

I can't hear this at this moment. I'll keep it in the back of my mind for later!

AB Forum Recital #2979795 05/16/20 08:59 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This has to be the most eclectic recital we have ever had - something for every taste! I absolutely love it! I have been trying to get my local piano group interested in doing an online recital, at least sharing some videos or recordings. I have only gotten vague promises that they would look into it. Most of them have never recorded their playing and have no idea how to start. So I am very aware now of what a wonderful world-wide community of performers we have. I am glad to be a small part of it. Well done everyone!

Sam

AB Forum Recital #2979818 05/16/20 09:53 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am going to skip around and construct my own recital order!

35. Tim Adrianson - Thoreau, from Concord Sonata Excellent Tim, and thanks for doing this. There is so much going on here - I can hear echos of the other movements too. I swear I hear something very similar to Debussy's Sunken Cathedral every time the A-C-G octaves occur in the bass. I don't think I would ever be able to tackle this, but I would love to try.

01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.5- Moderato I can't offer any feedback on the piece, except to say that I enjoyed it. You have definitely improved over the years, and the recording was well done.

32. jotur/Cathy Turner - Chrysanthemum Loved it! You captured the ragtime mood very well.

07. Peterws - A Pensive Place Loved this Peter - a thoughtful, well planned piece. Sometimes the notation didn't match what you were playing - OK, most of the time. But who cares? Excellent!

05. KevinM - Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4 Wonderful job on both of these!

08. barbaram - Lyric Pieces Op 12 No 5 Folk Melody One of my favorites. Loved it!

19. Ted Jones - Improvisation - concluding few minutes of sixty Wild! Only you can play this way Ted!

26. SwissMS/Doris - Saraband in D Minor Wonderful touch and intelligent pedaling! Loved how you brought out the melody!

27. facdo - SWW in A major, Op.19 No.4 This is one of my favorites too - I just love those chord progressions. Well done!

18. thepianoplayer416 - Contrapunctus 1 (The Art of Fugue) Well done! And such an odd choice that I had to listen!

31. Jason Lenthe - Prelude in C Minor (WTC Book 1) Well done - I played this too. My suggestions (for what they are worth) - introduce some dynamics. I heard a little, but not much. Listen to Angela Hewitt - she does a fair amount of soft/loud/soft/loud. That keeps it from sounding too much like a sewing machine. Emphasize that top note more and lower the volume of the rest of the 16ths. Anyway, it's really well done!

That's enough for now - more later!

Sam

AB Forum Recital #2979846 05/16/20 10:49 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There are so many interesting pieces here, I am just picking somewhere in the middle.

12. JJHLH – Scriabin Prelude I like this prelude very much, recently I have heard the variations for guitar on this piece by Alexandre Tansman.

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) – You and I I love those warm, impressive chords

14. RuthCM – Chopin Waltz in A minor How very touching. I am impressed by your precise playing. You are so good a pianist you deserve an acoustic grand.

16. EdmondRhapsody – Castle in the Sky I did not know the film nor the tune but liked it at once.

20. Ed – Stella by Starlight Ah, yes. One of the great jazz classics, derived from the musical score of the movie “The Uninvited” with Ray Milland. Fantastic, as usual.

26. SwissMiss – Handel’s Sarabande I particularly like Handel’s early keyboard suites and pieces (have recorded a number of them) and this Sarabande is, of course, a masterpiece. When I listened to your rendition I remembered that I played it in exactly your manner in my first attempts and found that top notch at the time. Some years later – after having got more information about the various Baroque dances and their style and tempo – I did not like my old recording any more and re-recorded a much slower version.

28. sinophilia – Memphis Blues I am not that familiar with Martha Mier but this bluesy piece in G minor / B major is so good I think I should try to get some of her sheet music to play myself.

40. Jobert - Treasures from the Sea (Martha Mier) So Martha Mier also sounds like this… Calm and dreamy. I think she is one of the underrated composers.

AB Forum Recital #2979853 05/16/20 11:14 AM
F
F
I am always excited to listen to the recitals submissions, and I have tried to participate in all of them since I resumed playing 2 years ago. Sam, thank you very much for organizing these recitals! They are a great way to interact with the piano community, and to discover and share wonderful music. That is super important in times like this!

I haven't listened to all pieces yet, but I can see that we have a very interesting selection in this edition. There was a Chopin 1st Ballade among the submissions... Guys, this is the beginner's forum, that is not fare haha. Just kidding, it is actually very nice to see how far a beginner can get. I hope to achieve that awesome beginner level someday smile

Anyway, I will try to comment on all submissions. Here's the first batch:

01. wouter79 - Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.5- Moderato
Outstanding performance. Very sensitive playing and you were able to bring out the melody at all times, while balancing the dynamics of the other voices and dealing with the complex textures of this piece. Also, I loved the tone of your piano and the quiet hum in the background of the recording actually gave some “warmth feeling” to the performance, making it more “real”. There are so many “perfect sounding” recordings from digital pianos, it is nice to hear a real acoustic instrument with all the imperfections of the recording process.

Such a wonderful piece that I would probably never hear if it wasn’t for your submission. As with all previous recitals, your performance is amazing and it is nice that you are sharing these video games/anime pieces, promoting a great musical genre that I don’t have much contact with. I enjoyed it so much that I had to listen 3 times in row!

I haven’t watched the second movie yet, so this theme is completely unfamiliar to me, but I liked your playing very much! You played it very fluently and confidently, very nice performance. It is interesting that you have a Kawai NV-10, I am thinking about getting one, as I will be moving to a small apartment in a few months and having an acoustic will no longer be an option. It is nice to hear the actual sound of the instrument without any VSTs, it has a very rich tone and I assume the action is amazing.

04. MarieJ - The Family
Wow, such a beautiful mourning piece. Very suitable for the time we’re living in. I don’t know the piece or the composer, but I liked your playing and the way you were able to let the notes breath in the beginning and then slowly build tension. Very expressive, thanks for sharing!

05. KevinM - Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4
That was really nice and I don’t think the first piece is above your level at all. You don’t have to play it like a concert pianist would and I think your choice of tempo was perfect (I don’t like how some people play it crazy fast and fierce). Seriously, your performance was great, and I specially liked the fact that you did a sequence of contrasting pieces. The second piece was just so lovely and you clearly have mastered the musical nuances of it. Your dynamic control and use of rubato was impeccable.

06. Greta99 - Elizabeth
You did a superb quality performance, as always. I am amazed by how you are able to consistently record so many wonderful pieces in such a high standard. This is a very lovely piece and your playing was super clean, and expressive in the right measure, with perfect phrasing and dynamic contrast. So wonderful that I had to listen twice smile

07. Peterws - A Pensive Place
Your composition is really beautiful, and your playing is very sensitive. It evoked a nice warm and contemplative feeling in me and, somehow, I thought about hope. Hope of encountering love ones and of better times. Thank you for that!

08. barbaram - Lyric Pieces Op 12 No 5 Folk Melody
I am a big fan of Grieg and I particularly like that collection from Op.12. You did a wonderful job bring out the lyrical character of this piece and I very much enjoyed listening to your performance.

09. Peyton - Rue de Cascades (Improvisation)
Oh, this piece brings me memories from a time when I wanted to learn the piano just to play Yann Tiersen’s compositions. It is so cool to listen to you improvising over the theme and then bring out parts of the original piece with your personal tweaks. I loved it, thanks for sharing!

It is a beautiful piece and it was very well played, but what caught my attention the most is the amazing clear/crystalline tone of your piano. It signs so beautifully under your skillful touch. It was a real pleasure to listen.

11. Ido - k330, 2nd movement - Andante catabile
Such a lovely piece and you played it masterfully. I can hear that you have paid very close attention to the details and all the musical nuances, and the result is a truly terrific performance. I hope to start a Mozart sonata soon and I would pick the K330 just for this second movement, but I am afraid it is beyond my current level. Maybe in a couple of years smile

YouTube Channel with all my recordings and my piano progress.

[Linked Image]

AB Forum Recital #2979917 05/16/20 01:26 PM
P
P
I was really excited to listen to all of the submissions throughout the day. So much diversity of styles, instruments and players. The mastery level you are showing is just something to aspire to and I could easily see myself, setting this playlist, as it is, as one of my favourite Spotify playlists. I also would like to thank to all the people who provided a feedback to my recording, I really appreciate the constructive feedback.

Although, I don't feel I am in a position to provide feedback, thought still to share some of my thoughts.

It is very pleasant to listen to, the choice, dynamics, accuracy, and the recording are just superb.

You do only good to Frozen and make me want to join my niece and watch it.

04. MarieJ - The Family
I like the simplicity, dynamics and the rhythm, it goes directly on my to-play list.

06. Greta99 - Elizabeth
So gently and beautifully played.

Humble and beautiful.

14. Ruth CM - Waltz in A Flat Major, Op. 69 No. 1
I could listen to your performance of this piece over and over.

15. Serge88 - Theme from New York, New York
An old goodies, thanks for reminding me about its' existence. Although, at first it can sound "easy" to play but obviously it involves a lot of technique, which you handle very well.

24. pianistamy - Bluebird
As if it was the original movie recording. I must say, if I wouldn't be familiar with the recital rules, I wound't suspect even for a second, it's not the original recording.

26. SwissMS/Doris - Saraband in D Minor
This performance and the piece went directly into my heart. It also goes directly on my to-play list.

28. sinophilia - Memphis Blues
I really like how the recording added character to the performance. Reminded me of all the time a spent in blues/jazz bars in New York.

31. Jason Lenthe - Prelude in C Minor (WTC Book 1)
Such a great pleasure to hear such a fluent control over this piece.

34. Peter Hontaru - Kinderszenen 1
A balm to my soul.

35. Tim Adrianson - Thoreau, from Concord Sonata
It's really impressive how you managed to sustain such a long performance that well.

41. PianoPrimo - The Sound of Silence
Just started working on this a day before, one of my favourite songs, and I can never get tired listening being it performed on a piano.

43. Mosotti - Of Foreign Lands and Peoples
I couldn't find a single thing that bothered me about your recording. All was sitting perfectly.

45. Hawgdriver (Leon) - A Warm Place
Soft, and powerful. I hope to be able to perform it at your standard one day.

50. ShiroKuro - Ascent
It's not simple to develop a piece so nicely as you did.

Thanks again to everyone. You made my day very inspiring.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gospel-Jazz Chord Progression & Scale
by BB666 - 10/30/20 07:33 AM
Guitar Center Mulls Restructuring
by newer player - 10/30/20 12:44 AM
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,488
Posts3,018,724
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission