2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
51 members (bobrunyan, Burkey, Beowulf, danielp11, ando, andredatele, 13 invisible), 427 guests, and 474 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 86 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 85 86
Re: Kawai CA79 / CA99 owners club
major_key_minor #2979515 05/15/20 02:35 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by major_key_minor
Hmm, that's interesting. I'm assuming your comparison is based on having tried both in person in the same setting, preferably side-by-side.

No I didn't have a chance to do that but I understand that k200 and k300 are simple acoustic instruments with height about 120 cm and so there is physics limitations bound to that, there is a reason why concert grand pianos have such big length, because of that lower and deeper frequencies can be achieved. It's simply impossible with shorter strings. I will try Kxxx series from Kawai when I will have chance but I've played a lot of acoustic uprights and even much higher ones and while some of them were really good considering strings length they were still pretty far behind big grand pianos and digitals with concert grand samples and good speaker system. Again I will underline that I'm only speaking about frequencies issue, like i said before in terms of sound projection, resonances etc. any acoustic will be better than even best digital. So I'm pretty sure what you mean by thunderous is that those frequencies were projected better and overall loudness was more impressive.
But you got me curious to compare those pianos so once quarantine is lifted I'd like to test them.

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Nordomus #2979522 05/15/20 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Hmm, that's interesting. I'm assuming your comparison is based on having tried both in person in the same setting, preferably side-by-side.

No I didn't have a chance to do that but I understand that k200 and k300 are simple acoustic instruments with height about 120 cm and so there is physics limitations bound to that, there is a reason why concert grand pianos have such big length, because of that lower and deeper frequencies can be achieved. It's simply impossible with shorter strings. I will try Kxxx series from Kawai when I will have chance but I've played a lot of acoustic uprights and even much higher ones and while some of them were really good considering strings length they were still pretty far behind big grand pianos and digitals with concert grand samples and good speaker system. Again I will underline that I'm only speaking about frequencies issue, like i said before in terms of sound projection, resonances etc. any acoustic will be better than even best digital. So I'm pretty sure what you mean by thunderous is that those frequencies were projected better and overall loudness was more impressive.
But you got me curious to compare those pianos so once quarantine is lifted I'd like to test them.

That's good to hear. Report back what you find. I'll definitely be interested in hearing your point of view after you try them out.

Currently: Yamaha P-515 | Kawai K300
Previously: Yamaha DGX-660
major_key_minor #2979523 05/15/20 02:49 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by Amy H
I contributed to this months recital on the forum. I recorded it on the CA79 and then saved it directly to USB, into Audacity to make it a bit louder, and that's it.
Just for anyone that is curious of what the CA79 sounds like directly from the instrument - and listen to me playing one of my favourites :-)

Click to play!

Very nice smile. One day, i hope to be as good as you.

Thank you, but there are others MUCH better than me. Practice and you'll be just as good if not better! :-)

Amy H #2979526 05/15/20 02:51 PM
Thank you, but there are others MUCH better than me. Practice and you'll be just as good if not better! :-)

Hahaha. I'll remember this one day.

Currently: Yamaha P-515 | Kawai K300
Previously: Yamaha DGX-660
Amy H #2979556 05/15/20 04:01 PM
K
K
Amy, that is wonderful and so expressive!!

My CA79 was delivered TODAY! It's sitting in a large box in my entry way. I have a masked/gloved friend coming over tomorrow to help me assemble it.

Now I'm more excited than I was before after hearing you!

Amy - off topic, but is the sheet music for this piece available somewhere?

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
Martinez #2979558 05/15/20 04:02 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I agree, Amy H. Beautifully played. Were you using the Classic rendering? How did you set reverb? Really nice sound and wonderful dynamics.

Kawai NV10
ˆTomLCˆ #2979568 05/15/20 04:20 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by kimby
Amy - off topic, but is the sheet music for this piece available somewhere?

Thank you! It's a lovely piano to play :-)
I have the sheet music...and I am willing to share! I'll message you.

Originally Posted by TomLC
I agree, Amy H. Beautifully played. Were you using the Classic rendering? How did you set reverb? Really nice sound and wonderful dynamics.

Thank you, too! :-)
I believe it is Classic rendering. I've got a few user presets, so not entirely sure which one I used. If it's the one I think it is, then it was the SK-EX | Jazz Clean with Lounge reverb.

Martinez #2979575 05/15/20 04:42 PM
Thanks @Amy for beautiful demo.

To everybody who asking for the sheet music - Bluebird by Alexis Ffrench https://musescore.com/user/1496636/scores/5044925

To Kawai CA*9 owners - does GFIII feel spongy? Unfortunately, I have no chance to test GFIII, but GFII is so unnatural for me because of spongy effect.
Thanks

Last edited by Piligrim; 05/15/20 04:43 PM.
Amy H #2979612 05/15/20 06:49 PM
A
A
[quote=Amy H][quote=major_key_minor][quote=Amy H]I contributed to this months recital on the forum. I recorded it on the CA79 and then saved it directly to USB, into Audacity to make it a bit louder, and that's it.
Just for anyone that is curious of what the CA79 sounds like directly from the instrument - and listen to me playing one of my favourites :-)

Amy, knowing what at least one of the tones sounds like directly from the CA79, I must say that I'm quite surprised. My CA65 was really a very good piano when it was first released for sale (and can still sound quite decent) but in no way can it equal the quality of the sample you've included. I never paid any real attention to videos of the CA79 on YouTube, since they're often manipulated, but this makes me really want to try it out when our music stores open for business.

Of course, I'll have to be careful to play when there are few people in the store. My aim someday would be to reach your level, and my teacher assures me that with practice anyone can accomplish wonders, but there's always a price to pay.

Martinez #2979721 05/16/20 02:54 AM
M
M
Hello everyone, and thank you for allowing me into the forum.

I just received my Kawai CA79 Polished Ebony and it looks, feels and sounds great. This is the first time I've invested in a proper digital piano, and I'm very pleased with my purchase. I've included a few pictures in the below that do not do the ebony polish justice.

However, after having played the piano for a few days, I have noticed that the left-side speaker(s) are making this rattle noise when playing notes in the lower half of the piano. It is a kind of high-pitch and distinctive rattle noise that very clearly comes from the speakers. I have had my ear up close at different sections of the piano and stand, and I always end up "scanning" my way back to the left-side speakers.

It seems to stem from black speaker-mesh (not sure what else to call it) at the narrow gap on the front of the piano - not from the larger black-speaker mesh on the top back-side of the piano. Just to clarify, the rattle noise is not audible when wearing headphones, so it does not seem as it if is the piano sound itself.

I have tried some different speaker settings using the on-board control LCD, and what seems to at least make it a little less audible is to set "Speaker Volume" to "Low". I am unsure whether it is related to the sub on the piano.

As this is the first digital piano I have owned, I am not sure what the best course of action is here. Should I try to move the piano further away from the wall? Or should I simply call my dealership and ask for help?

The piano has been updated to latest software versions.

Here's a few images of the piano (I couldn't get images in the post to work, so here are some links). It just looks great.
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

Martinez #2979735 05/16/20 04:04 AM
L
L
@Martin:
Sounds like a lose or not fully tightened screw somewhere.
Check also the bottom of the piano where it is attached to the stand. On my old CA 58 one of those screws was making this type of noise.
Hopefully it's nothing on the inside of the piano.

I have a Kawai in PE as well and it's really beautiful. Luckily I also didn't have any problems with sound or action and it's really really nice to play. Unbelievable joyful experience, especially when the volume is cranked up above 4 points :>

Here is mine btw: [Linked Image]

Last edited by lovelovemale; 05/16/20 04:08 AM.
lovelovemale #2979780 05/16/20 06:44 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by lovelovemale
@Martin:
Sounds like a lose or not fully tightened screw somewhere.
Check also the bottom of the piano where it is attached to the stand. On my old CA 58 one of those screws was making this type of noise.
Hopefully it's nothing on the inside of the piano.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just checked all screws on the underside of the piano where it meets the stand, and tightening them didn't seem to do the trick. When I put my ear close to the piano, it is very apparent that the rattling sound is coming from the left-side speaker, and specifically at the mesh on the front of the piano. It is also slightly audible at the right-side of the piano, but not nearly as much as on the left.

When I play loud (above 3-4 on the volume range), it becomes very apparent and messes with the clarity of the sound. Any suggestions to what I could try out next?

Martin Kjeld #2979787 05/16/20 07:25 AM
M
M
I decided to just call my dealership. They said it might be a loose speaker caused by transportation mishandling. They asked that I send in a few videos of the issue and would be happy to visit me or replace the piano.

I'll keep updating in case someone else experiences this issue.

Last edited by Martin Kjeld; 05/16/20 07:25 AM.
TomBom #2979813 05/16/20 08:32 AM
T
T
Some great information! Thanks for this!

Martin Kjeld #2979989 05/16/20 03:10 PM
K
K
Man the PE is really super beautiful! I JUST received my CA79 yesterday! And a friend (with 2 face masks on!) came over and helped me assemble it today.

I got the satin black, and it looks great and sounds wonderful.

Based on the feedback in this thread, I will try out each key to make sure I don't have any rattles or other sounds like others have had. If I do, it sounds like Kawai have been very responsive in solving any problems.

I haven't played in 2 years, so I'm looking forward to getting back in the game!

Martinez #2980031 05/16/20 04:50 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So the face masks were satin black?
So are mine. Pittsburgh Steelers pattern. smile

MacMacMac #2980069 05/16/20 06:50 PM
K
K
Heh heh heh TripleMac! You crack me up!!!

lovelovemale #2980074 05/16/20 06:59 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lovelovemale
Here is mine btw: [Linked Image]

Wow! That is a nice looking piano. So much better looking than the CA97 I used to have.

Kawai NV10
Amy H #2980103 05/16/20 08:34 PM
I contributed to this months recital on the forum. I recorded it on the CA79 and then saved it directly to USB, into Audacity to make it a bit louder, and that's it.

Click to play!

I'm a little, but just wanted to say thanks for sharing, Amy!
There's lots of "air" in that sound - something that I personally rather like. It also helps that the piece is beautifully played. Lovely, well done!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Amy H #2980107 05/16/20 08:53 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N

Click to play!

This sounds amazing. Bravissimo!

Page 28 of 86 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 85 86

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cleaning up 100 year old ebony finishes
by jkess114 - 12/03/20 08:58 AM
upright piano looks like a grand piano
by Maximillyan - 12/03/20 08:14 AM
VST and Kawai CA99
by Pianuslongus - 12/03/20 07:49 AM
Best Recording For Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 12/03/20 05:23 AM
Any info on Alfonsi pianos?
by Ubu - 12/03/20 03:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,229
Posts3,029,973
Members99,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission