2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
42 members (Beowulf, Chouca, chopinetto, Deltajockey, computerpro3, AZNpiano, danielp11, djvu10, 7 invisible), 444 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Recital #58 --- May 15, 2020
#2979233 05/15/20 06:20 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 58th AB Forum Quarterly Recital!

Please refrain from commentary in this thread. Take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room for Recital 58

Thank you!

In addition to the recordings below, and the zip files linked below, we have an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

For the convenience of forum members, we also have a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 58 zip1
Recital 58 zip2
Recital 58 zip3
Recital 58 zip4
Recital 58 zip5

And here is the index to past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: Mr Super-Hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Monica K for being the recital admin through Recital 54; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using.

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!

Sam

Last edited by AB Forum Recital; 05/15/20 06:22 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital #58 --- May 15, 2020
AB Forum Recital #2979235 05/15/20 06:23 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:>7 years
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Etudes Tableaux Op.33 no.5- Moderato
Composer:Rachmaninoff, Sergei Vasilievich
Duration:04:34
Source of music:sheet music, mostly memorized
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk, Macbook Pro
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Here is a nother one of Rachmaninoff etudes-tableaux! He wrote these study pictures in august 1911. He was 38 and lived still in Russia. The pieces were inspired by paintings, but Rachmaninov intendedly left it unclear which paintings. And anyway, Rachmaninoff most likely composed about the feelings he got from the painting, as he usually avoided program music.

Originally he wrote 9 etudes for op.33 but he decided to omit 3 of them just before they were published. Number 5 therefore was originally number 8.

The piece has 4 parts. It starts with a calm but dark, wide arpeggiated g minor backdrom coming on softly. The slow descending theme appears, it jumps to different octaves, as if searching a distant memory. Then the theme culminates into an long, loud accelerating descend and the backdrop becomes agressive, much louder and highly chromatic. Suddenly the mood turns more mysterious briefly. Then the original calm theme returns. Finally it turns again into a long descending, increasingly loud but this time closer to the theme, less complex and dissonant and shorter, ending with a loud final upward run. Then silence, a distant bell sounds two times.

Technically the main challenge is to play fast and pianissimo arpeggios with the left hand. The melody in the right hand (RH) is very thin, slow and long-phrased. But the RH often has to help the LH which is qutie different. The LH is only accompaniment but is very busy running around the keyboard with the wide arpeggios. It often interferes and even crosses with the right hand. It has lots of low, dominant notes. Yet has to be played pianissimo as a soft rumble behind the RH. To get an idea, just try to play the last chord pianissimo as written. I had some technical issues recording, first I have a new mac causing clicking noises sometimes, and second my ADC battery is broken so I had to use the net adapter, resulting in a slight hum. Sorry for this! But on the positive side, I could get my piano tuned!

I am looking forward to feedback as I worked on this on and off with my previous 2 teachers over a span of more than 2 years, but never completed it with either of them, and my current teacher is not going to work on it any time soon.

AB Forum Recital #2979236 05/15/20 06:23 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Calavera
Experience:About 10 years as a child and teenager, and about 1 year since my comeback as an adult.
Title of piece:Roses of May
Composer:Uematsu, Nobuo
Duration:04:06
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P-125
Recording method:Recorded as MIDI on the DP, and rendered to audio in Garritan CFX Lite.
Additional info:Piano solo arrangement (by Hiroyuki Nakayama) of an iconic theme from the Final Fantasy video game franchise, from the album Piano Opera Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX. Considering the title, I couldn't think of a more fitting piece for this month's recital!

I first heard - and fell in love with - the original version of this theme as a teenager. When I discovered this more recent piano arrangement, it was like meeting my teenage crush again, and finding out that she had grown into a stunning woman. Needless to say, it was love at first sight (hearing?), for the second time.

AB Forum Recital #2979237 05/15/20 06:24 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Gombessa
Experience:Lessons as child, 4-years self-studying
Video link:https://youtu.be/zxeene3jiv0
Title of piece:Frozen 2 - Show Yourself
Composer:Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
Duration:04:19
Source of music:Sheet music (arranged by SangeoMusic)
Instrument used:Kawai Novus NV-10
Recording method:Digital to USB, Pianist Mode (SK-EX Rendering, Classic setting, "Medium Room" ambiance, "Light" touch curve)
Additional info:This is a piece from Frozen 2,sung by Idina Menzel and Evan Rachel Wood. It was quite challenging for me to learn due to numerous key and tempo changes throughout.

This is my first ABF recital submission, and my first time playing "publicly." I got back into piano a couple of years ago after having kids, in hopes of inspiring them to play music as they get older. Most of what I play are Disney/cartoon covers (it's what they want to hear).

I wanted to participate in an ABF recital as a way to force myself to listen to what/how I was practicing, and to focus on polish beyond the ~80-90% I usually stop at. I'd very much welcome comments and constructive criticism to help me improve. Thanks!

AB Forum Recital #2979239 05/15/20 06:25 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A few sporadic lessons decades apart, self-directed learner since December 2011
Title of piece:The Family
Composer:Max Richter
Duration:02:24
Source of music:'Max Richter: Piano Works' album
Instrument used:Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 6
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:I hadn't listened to any of Max Richter's works until Monica submitted his 'Written on the Sky' for Recital 37. It intrigued me and I was tempted to try it myself. But her comments on its challenges (culminating with a heartfelt "the good news is that I don't ever have to play it again") put a sudden brake on that plan.

I revisited his Piano Works album a few weeks ago and came across 'The Family'. It looked far more straight-forward: even simple enough, I thought, for a sight-reading exercise. I found something meditative, even hypnotic about it that continues to grow on me with every playing.

Composed for the award-winning film 'Lore', 'The Family' hasn't previously appeared in an ABF Recital. It's not Einaudi - but you introduced me to Max Richter, Monica, so this one is for you.

AB Forum Recital #2979240 05/15/20 06:25 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:KevinM
Experience:5 years, 40 years ago. 18 months until now.
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin/sets/my-progress
Title of piece:Hasche-Mann and Bittendes Kind from Kinderszenen Op 15.3 15.4
Composer:Schumann
Duration:01:47
Source of music:Sheet music. Henle
Instrument used:MP11SE, Using the Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D virtual piano.
Additional info:Hasche-Mann is really a step above my playing skill level. The fact I've pulled off a recording is just purely hard work and far too much practise time for a 40 second piece. By the time I finished each practise session with it I was exhausted. I will not be trying to maintain it in my repertoire.

Pleading child (Bittendes Kinder) is a lovely sweet piece I learnt quickly and enjoy very much.

AB Forum Recital #2979242 05/15/20 06:27 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Greta99
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-513119297
Title of piece:Elizabeth
Composer:Hubert Parry
Duration:02:32
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CA-58
Recording method:Digital piano
Additional info:Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry (1848 - 1918) was an English composer and teacher. "Elizabeth" is the second piece of the "Shulbrede Tunes" and refers to Parry's granddaughter, whom he described as "a little slip of a girl, very springy in her gait".

AB Forum Recital #2979243 05/15/20 06:27 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Peterws
Experience:Must I?
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1aCZ6_x2IM
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAa3kVLPNqf5vxb3qw7NT0w/videos?view_as=subscriber
Title of piece:A Pensive Place
Composer:Me
Duration:03:36
Source of music:My Head in another planet, again. :scary face:
Instrument used:Yamaha P515 Warm Grand, Bosendorfer based.(I fondly think)
Recording method:SMS from Pianoteq fed into the piano and converted to wav for YT. MP3 for here.
Additional info:I like the sound of this particular piano; it is versatile and permits good dynamics and melody definition. The recording doesn't seem to quite reflect what I heard when playing, so turn it up, guys! That might help.
I suppose I could call it "Lockdown Blues" but I'd finished and recorded this before lockdown even started. . . Hope you're all well. My nephew managed to acquire the Virus, but got over it quickly. He's not local to me . . . . !
It's the bike for me everyday now. The roads are nice and quiet apart from the other cyclists.
Wife was commenting on how peaceful everything was.

AB Forum Recital #2979244 05/15/20 06:28 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:barbaram
Experience:Back at it 6 years, and took lessons as a teen
Title of piece:Lyric Pieces Op 12 No 5 Folk Melody
Composer:Grieg
Duration:01:36
Instrument used:Kawai CS8
Recording method:Digital to Audacity
Additional info:This is a short but lovely little piece. There is a lot of repetition due to its ABABA form, so there is really very little music to learn. But within it there are many challenges for me, and there is more work to do on the pedalling and ornaments.

It is mid morning, the sun is shining, and I have had tea and crumpets for breakfast :-)

AB Forum Recital #2979245 05/15/20 06:30 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:45 years with a little training
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxX-84AvRjk
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Rue de Cascades (Improvisation)
Composer:Yan Tiersen
Duration:06:55
Source of music:improvised score
Instrument used:Young Chang grand
Recording method:metro
Additional info:I have the sheet music for Rue de Cascades but I don't believe I have heard one rendition that was true to what I have. So I have thrown caution to the wind and just played my own version. My plan had been to speed it up at the finish and abruptly end. I'm not sure it worked as well as I had hoped. But hey, I did throw caution to the wind.

AB Forum Recital #2979246 05/15/20 06:30 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Sma55 (Shepherd Abrams)
From:Chicago originally, currently residing in St. Louis
Experience:Self-taught as a child, but after a hiatus from piano lasting decades, I finally began lessons when I retired from my career on the early side about 6 years ago now.
Video link:https://youtu.be/3IWimgwVI4A
Title of piece:Thanksgiving
Composer:George Winston
Duration:04:00
Source of music:Played by ear, sheet music, some improvisation
Instrument used:Steingraeber & Sohne D232
Recording method:Zoom H4n to Audacity for conversion to mp3
Additional info:A little while after the COVID-19 lockdown in my city began, something about the crisis that has befallen all of us made me nostalgic for better times. For some reason, I settled upon the 1980's--music that I had not played in nearly 40 years but that I played back then be ear, prior to beginning lessons about 6 years ago. But I decided to supplement my own previous rendition of the piece with sheet music (now that I can read it!). NOTE: At 2:37 into the piece, some kind of digital glitch/skip occurred in the mp3 file of this recording. I've never had that happen before, but I suspect that it's some kind of Audacity artifact, as it's not in my original .wav file of the recording. Thanks so much for listening! Also note that if you liked this recording, you can also find my rendition of George Winston's "Variations on the Kanon by Pachelbel" by copying and pasting the following link: https://youtu.be/9ZMHluo0VqM

AB Forum Recital #2979247 05/15/20 06:31 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ido
Experience:3 years and 3 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7cZNJ0kmvI
Title of piece:k330, 2nd movement - Andante catabile
Composer:Mozart
Duration:07:35
Source of music:sheet music
Additional info:This piece is very special to me because it's one of my favorites. I've put a lot of work into it, and it turned out to be much more complex than I initially thought.
I had to really change the way I play in order to make it somewhat decent sounding.
It was also a great challenge to stay focused for 7 minutes, as previous pieces I played were much shorter.
While I'm not completely satisfied with the recording, I know that that's the best I can currently do.

I hope you enjoy it, thanks for listening!

AB Forum Recital #2979249 05/15/20 06:31 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:JJHLH
Experience:1 year 2 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/LBvPtOOCLnQ
Title of piece:Prelude in E flat minor, Op. 16, No. 4
Composer:Scriabin
Duration:01:14
Instrument used:Yamaha N1X with Pianoteq
Recording method:USB stick

AB Forum Recital #2979250 05/15/20 06:31 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:4.5 Years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsIZaNvKh-s
Title of piece:You And I
Composer:Tom Gerou
Duration:01:34
Source of music:RCM 5 Repertoire Book
Instrument used:Kawaii CX-21D
Recording method:Sony FDR-AX33 Handycam
Additional info:This is a relatively easy piece to play from the RCM 5 book. I think there is a lot of flexibility in how you play it (slow/fast, loud/soft). Whatever strikes you at the time is correct smile

We had take out for lunch.

The composer is new to me too. I didn't see him in the recital index, so I thought I would update the composer count. Getting close to 1000.

AB Forum Recital #2979251 05/15/20 06:32 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ruth CM
Experience:11 years
Title of piece:Waltz in A Flat Major, Op. 69 No. 1
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:23
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-440
Recording method:Digital to USB
Additional info:This was an old piece in my repertoire as I have not been feeling great and had spent my energy on the Beethoven themed submission! Anyway, this has always been one of my favorites and the recital gave me an excuse to try for a recording of it. Thank you in advance for listening.

AB Forum Recital #2979252 05/15/20 06:32 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Serge88
Experience:On and off for the last 20 years.
Video link:https://youtu.be/x15xiqbXUP4
Title of piece:Theme from New York, New York
Composer:Fred Ebb/John Kander
Duration:03:01
Instrument used:Roland FP-7, Pianoteq 6
Recording method:Pianoteq to iMac to audacity to mp3,
Video Panasonic V770 to youtube

AB Forum Recital #2979253 05/15/20 06:33 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:EdmondRhapsody
Experience:7 years as a kid, on and off as an adult
Video link:https://youtu.be/MQXpR9Pd0as
Title of piece:Castle in the Sky
Composer:Joe Hisaishi
Duration:02:50
Source of music:piano sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-515
Recording method:keyboard USB recording
Additional info:I recorded this during the quarantine. This is the theme song from a 80s Japanese animated film Castle in the Sky composed by Joe Hisaishi. I remember as a kid I really like the movie and the song. The original version is not piano so I did not think about playing it at the time, until many years later I found some piano arrangements and this becomes a piece that I play frequently. Hope you like it.

AB Forum Recital #2979255 05/15/20 06:33 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:PianogrlNW (Ellen)
Title of piece:Farewell to Stromness
Composer:Peter Maxwell Davies
Duration:04:04
Source of music:Boosey & Hawkes sheet music
Instrument used:Schimmel Grand
Recording method:H2N Zoom
Additional info:Peter Maxwell Davies was a British composer and conductor who lived from 1934 to 2016. He moved to the Orkney Islands in the 1960s and composed The Yellow Cake Review, a series of satirical and political musical statements protesting a proposed uranium mine in the Orkneys, which was eventually dismissed. The Farewell to Stromness was one the piano entries of this Review.

In this piece I heard protest, pride and resilience and tried to communicate those characteristics.

AB Forum Recital #2979256 05/15/20 06:34 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:thepianoplayer416
Experience:15
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJE3nBcIYzU
Title of piece:Contrapunctus 1 (The Art of Fugue)
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:03:27
Source of music:The Art of the Fugue
BWV 1080 (J.S. Bach)
Edited for Solo Keyboard by CARL CZERNY
Instrument used:Yamaha P95
Recording method:Canon PowerShot SX730HS
Additional info:This is the last set of fugues & canons written by J.S. Bach before he died in 1750. The last piece (fugue #15) was not finish.

Bach did not indicate the instrumentation for the pieces. Over the years there were recordings featuring solo piano, organ, string & brass ensembles.

I learned the piece 8 years ago (back in 2012) and made a recording. The playing and the recording equipment was not satisfactory.

In Feb. I had a 3-week break from my weekly piano lessons before reconnecting with the teacher through Zoom. I decided to work on this piece again measure by measure and made 2 recordings at home with the piano and the organ sound. I decided to upload the organ version with a slightly faster tempo.

The tempo as indicated in the Czerny edit is "Andante con moto" with a Cut Time. I've heard slower & faster versions of the piece.

AB Forum Recital #2979257 05/15/20 06:34 AM
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ted Jones
Experience:About sixty-five years
Title of piece:Improvisation - concluding few minutes of sixty
Composer:Ted Jones
Duration:05:46
Source of music:Free improvisation
Instrument used:Weinbach 5' 10"
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:As we ate all last night's sausages I shall have a toasted cheese and onion sandwich for lunch. Recent forum discussions about improvisation have reinforced profound differences in the way I think about music. It's a bit peculiar really as I thought like everybody else until my late fifties, when everything changed. So in the creative sense, not of course in the physical playing sense, I am an adult beginner, and wish to remain so until I suck the kumara. I couldn't bear being a stable expert in anything, it's so much more fun when each day makes me reach out for the new.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keyed Tone
by woodfab - 07/10/20 10:49 PM
KeyBed tone
by woodfab - 07/10/20 10:36 PM
FP-30 Bluetooth
by CajunJ - 07/10/20 07:24 PM
The Irresistable Piano
by toyboy - 07/10/20 03:00 PM
Are all new USA bound pianos tuned to 440hz concert pitch?
by blueviewlaguna. - 07/10/20 02:34 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,182
Posts2,979,370
Members97,729
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission