2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
I've owned a Kawai CA-95 since 2012. It's been great, but I'm thinking now might be a good time to upgrade to a hybrid. I'm leaning towards the N1X.

Most hybrids I've only been able to play in showrooms, which is completely different from home use. In showrooms, I'd rank them: N2, N3X, NV10, N1X, NU1X. That is the only thing giving me significant pause.

But, I have played an NU1X in a smaller room some time back, and it blew me away. Perhaps I'm just thrown off by the large showrooms?

For those that have played hybrids (especially the N1X) in a home environment, how are the speakers?

I do mostly play with headphones, but when I use the speakers I want them to be decent. Especially after spending so many years with the CA-95.

Current: Kawai NV10, Reface CP
Previous: Kawai CA-95, Ensoniq KT-88, 1920's Upright
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I think the NU1X may have been more impressive to you because it has forward-facing speakers (tweeters at the top, 16cm drivers closer to the legs).

The N1X has top and bottom-firing speakers I believe, as does the N3X (which as I understand it is to simulate the fact that the soundboard on a grand piano resonates in an up-down direction).

The N2 and the NV-10 have a combination of the two, forward firing subwoofers (and on the NV-10, also forward-firing tweeters), and upwards-firing main drivers (the N2 has a lid that can be opened and positioned to reflect the sound towards the pianist.

Between the N1X and the NV-10, the common reports we see here are that the N1X speakers sound just fine, whereas the NV-10 can get louder (louder than a real grand).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
OP Offline
P
[facepalm] I had read about the speaker placements, but hadn't even considered that I might just be used to one arrangement over another. That's a really great point.

Now that I think more about volume, now that I live in an apartment, I don't play at full volume anymore. But I do still get decent bass response on my CA95. I suppose it is safe to assume that the N1X would be comparable (aside from my ear adjusting and plus or minus impact of the room size, etc). I mean, the bass shouldn't feel completely underpowered like it did in the showroom, right?

R
R
If you're used to soundboard speakers, you might want to try the NV5 instead.

For me, since I used CA98, the DP I choose in the future must be the model with soundboard spks. no matter they are CA/NV or AURES/TA2.
I agree with Nordomus on this point.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
B
B
My N1X has good bass.
Globally the sound is not very good for the price.
The real interest is the binaural sample
The two octaves before the last one are piercing, really unpleasant.

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I wonder if some tweaking of the “two octaves before the last” could help. It seems like the app offers some note-by-note editing, but perhaps not enough?

It would be great if Yamaha further updated the app to support more note-by-note edits: including eq, resonances, and other important parameters.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by robinlb
If you're used to soundboard speakers, you might want to try the NV5 instead.

For me, since I used CA98, the DP I choose in the future must be the model with soundboard spks. no matter they are CA/NV or AURES/TA2.
I agree with Nordomus on this point.

What stops anyone from taking a speaker, and face it against a board. or putting speakers in a box approximating the dimensions/volume of the kawai internals.

A
A
fully agree with Robinlb.
I have just got my new CA99 EP last week (with soundboard) in my large living room with super high ceiling and the sound is just outstanding.

Owner of Kawai CA99 EP (May 2020)
Yamaha P-120S (15y ago)
Young Chang E118 accoustic (30y ago ...)
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Some VST's sound too muddy (lacking brightness and clarity) through the internal N1X speakers. Using external monitors in combination with the N1X speaker system works great.

Overall I think the N1X native piano sounds are unrealistic (as all digital native piano sounds are). VST's help some. I would rather have seen Yamaha release an N2X rather than the N1X. The N2 is more compact and has better sound/speakers.

God Bless,
David

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by David B
I would rather have seen Yamaha release an N2X rather than the N1X. The N2 is more compact and has better sound/speakers.

I still see some hope here smile An updated N2X would be excellent!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would highly prefer to see a N0X for $5K - a minimalist MIDI controller with compact stand, real grand action and pedals, and no speakers. May be, headphone amp and Bluetooth for configuration.
Or with cabinet with built-in housing for computer, audio interface, keyboard and monitor for $6K.

Last edited by VladK; 05/14/20 01:01 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This is weird and I seem to change my opinion by the hour, but when I first finished the Cybrid and started playing on it controlling Garritan CFX, I wrote how great the sound was and how it was definitely better than the N1X sound. In the first days that's how I felt. Going from Garritan CFX back to the binaural was a rather meh experience, the binaural was a bit too dry and somehow unrealistic. With the time though, and I play them both every day since they are in different rooms (the N1X is in the living room and the Cybrid is in the bedroom), I came to realize that moving from Garritan CFX to the Yamaha CFX binaural is lately a revelation of sort smile I can't explain it. Garritan CFX is fooling your ears with the awesome sound and reverberation but it tends to smear things a little. Honestly, I'm not sure that's how it feels to be playing the actual CFX in Abbey Road... In some way I think it's the more unrealistic experience, it's a sound that's beautiful but maybe unrealistically beautiful. And the binaural CFX is a honest sound, yeah dry, but in a realistic way. And it feels like a real piano I play. And you'd never have a piano in your room (even if it's the world's best prepped CFX) that will sound as flattering as a VST when you sit and play it.

(Who knows what I will say again in a week from now though LOL)

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/14/20 01:05 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
R
R
Originally Posted by BachToTheFuture
My N1X has good bass.

Could't agree more. Especially E6 and above really need new samples. My hope is that Yamaha will fix this in a future firmware update.

Yamaha N1X, P-200, HS8 speakers, MG06 mixer
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonnieK
My N1X has good bass.

Could't agree more. Especially E6 and above really need new samples. My hope is that Yamaha will fix this in a future firmware update.

Do you mean the sound through speakers or the binaural one? I haven't played a lot with the speakers, however I haven't noticed any piercing quality with these octaves through headphones (binaural).

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
This is the first (second) I’ve heard about “The two octaves before the last”. I wonder, and stay with me, if it’s not ‘The two octaves before the last’, but rather, ‘The last octave after the two’ that offends the ear.

Also, how come CG never noticed this? Could it be that it’s more ‘The ear before the piano’ that needs some work done?

I simply ask, yet never do I determine; for that I leave to the Gods!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Mind you, I'm 40 and while I believe my hearing is good for my age and the last time I measured my upper frequency limit at 18kHz, that might have been years ago and I might have already developed hearing decline in the upper range :'( I'll have to check my ears but I definitely don't hear piercing upper octaves through headphones (Senneheiser HD595) and with the binaural CFX. Actually the octaves there are even kind of soft and velvety, rather than piercing. I remember when I tested a CA78 before I ordered the N1X and through speakers it had piercing upper octaves. And then I tested the N1X through speakers when it arrived and luckily it wasn't piercing, quite on the contrary.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/14/20 01:56 PM.

R
R
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by RonnieK
My N1X has good bass.

Do you mean the sound through speakers or the binaural one? I haven't played a lot with the speakers, however I haven't noticed any piercing quality with these octaves through headphones (binaural).

Both through the speakers and the headphones. Worst of them all is B5 together with sound #1 through headphones when binaural=ON. When binaural=OFF, the B5 with sound #1 through the headphones becomes good.

Yamaha N1X, P-200, HS8 speakers, MG06 mixer
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
OK, I just tested it. I can't hear anything piercing through speakers. However on headphones with binaural I notice that the E6 is indeed a bit brighter than the rest when played loud. Not something I could've noticed unless told but it's there. But I can't hear anything wrong with B5 at all. On the other hand, with the E6 I also have some ringing in my ears which I fix after I swallow like in an airplane to release the pressure smile And it makes me wonder whether that's a natural resonance of our ears, probably in combination with individual anatomy, individual frequency sensitivity, particular headphones, etc.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/14/20 02:21 PM.

P
OP Offline
P
ag_jazz_piano: It's actually the CA-99 that caused me to contemplate getting a new piano.

I convinced myself quite quickly to upgrade to the CA-99, but I had a nagging feeling... the CA-95 wasn't my top choice back in 2012. It was the N2 that I really wanted. While I've loved my CA-95, I've always wished I had stretched the budget and bought the N2. So that got me looking at all the hybrids.

Long story short I guess, like so many others, I have my heart set on an N2X and am trying to find a reasonable compromise :-)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I didn't know Cybrid got a name wink And a nice one, by the way!

Last edited by VladK; 05/14/20 06:08 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission