2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
27 members (36251, Greta99, Dick Tracy, Beemer, CyberGene, Frédéric L, clothearednincompo, Beowulf, 5 invisible), 428 guests, and 487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Using tablets for sheet music
ShiroKuro #2977900 05/11/20 12:09 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Can you do something similar with the buttons (or whatever they're called). I have a lot of scores where I've programmed those buttons to take me to a coda or whatever.

Hmmmm. I really don’t know. I wasn’t aware there are buttons in the app. You may be teaching me something new. smile

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
MRC #2977905 05/11/20 12:16 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by MRC
I‘ve been using a Bluetooth pedal with forScore, but when I read this I promptly bought a Pro subscription. Fascinating! For the moment I can only manage a turn with a sort of lecherous twisted grin: I’d like something a little more discreet. But it works!

Awesome! Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity slider, or doing a recalibration? With a little work you should be able to dial it in so it recognizes a subtle twitch of your lips to the side.

So as to not hijack this thread perhaps you could post your impressions on a thread I started regarding this topic a few months ago.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...orscore-app-page-turner.html#Post2945497

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
JJHLH #2977921 05/11/20 12:59 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by JJHLH
I really can’t recommend this feature highly enough. It’s an example of harnessing the power of modern technology and putting it to good use to solve a problem.

Yea but now the NSA is watching you even while you're playing piano.

jeffcat #2977930 05/11/20 01:37 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Ipads cost way more than large monitors and they're much smaller.

I have an old Macbook Pro 17". On my Yamaha G7, I lay the music desk flat and sit the laptop on it.

You can buy those old 15", 17" laptop cheap on Ebay or Amazon.

If the fonts are small, I just zoom in smile

lbuizza #2977972 05/11/20 03:16 PM
I'll chime in. I have a 9.7" iPad that i used with my digital piano for about 2 years. Since digital piano's music stand is much farther away, using the 9.7" iPad was sometimes a challenge. Thankfully, this is no longer a problem on my K300 as the music stand is much closer.

To me, it's cost prohibitive to buy the iPad Pro 12.9" just to use as a sheet music reader. There are cheaper options. One option i haven't seen mentioned so far is portable monitors. This is arguably a much better option than using a TV or laptop. In addition, their screen sizes 15.6 is bigger than the iPad Pro's 12.9 and not much thicker. They are driven by USB-C so you have options on how to drive them: phone, tablet, laptop etc.

A few options that came up after some quick googling: Asus Zenscreen MB16AC and Acer PM161Q.

Currently: Yamaha P-515 | Kawai K300
Previously: Yamaha DGX-660
ShiroKuro #2977988 05/11/20 03:47 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
akc42, hmm, I'm not sure if you did something more elaborate than I'm understanding, but I use forScore all the time to make pdf files of multi-page scores, it combines them into a single file rather than treating each page as a separate items. How are the layers different?

I have image files from my ipad. I didn't know forscore could turn an image into a pdf. much less multiple images. can it export it again? I needed to mail the result to someone. Gimp is an image manipulation program much like photoshop (although open source and thus free - and anyway I run on linux so don't have the photoshop option). I never imagined it would be good with pdfs - but it turned my very high resolution ipad images into a pdf perfectly. The whole process of photo ing the score and producing the pdf took about 20 minutes total.

lbuizza #2977995 05/11/20 03:56 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I've never understood why nobody seems to make a 8.5x11 tablet that's exactly the size of a sheet of "letter" paper. There are many documents (including sheet music and other things as well) that would be useful to have on a paper-sized tablet.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
lbuizza #2978012 05/11/20 04:34 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another option is a convertible PC with 13" or 15" screen. Extremely convenient, as it's a full PC that you simply fold over the screen into tablet mode (or detach the keyboard) to use as a tablet. The AirTurn foot page turner will flip pages for you.

I also scan my old music (with my notes and fingerings intact) to PDF. My Thinkpad X1-yoga also came with it's own pen, which is great for making additional notes.

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America
akc42 #2978027 05/11/20 05:02 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by akc42
akc42, hmm, I'm not sure if you did something more elaborate than I'm understanding, but I use forScore all the time to make pdf files of multi-page scores, it combines them into a single file rather than treating each page as a separate items. How are the layers different?

I have image files from my ipad. I didn't know forscore could turn an image into a pdf. much less multiple images. can it export it again? I needed to mail the result to someone. Gimp is an image manipulation program much like photoshop (although open source and thus free - and anyway I run on linux so don't have the photoshop option). I never imagined it would be good with pdfs - but it turned my very high resolution ipad images into a pdf perfectly. The whole process of photo ing the score and producing the pdf took about 20 minutes total.

akc42, you should try just doing it all within forScore and see if it makes it any easier. I have used forScore to scan (i.e. using the camera) and also just used the "scan" function to import photos that were already in my photo gallery into forScore and then forScore makes it into a single pdf. So if the music is 4 pages long and you have four individual photos, you end up with one file, one piece of music that you can "turn" the pages of as you play.

Then if you want to export it, you can because you can export any score that you have in forScore, and you can choose whether to export it with or without your annotations. So you could print it, or email it etc.

I am describing all this from memory, so I'm not looking at my forScore right now, but if you want more specific instructions, or need screen grabs etc., let me know!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
lbuizza #2978418 05/12/20 06:46 PM
S
S
There is another option. The Onyx Boox Max 3 is an Android tablet that is just about exactly letter size and aspect ratio. It's designed as an e-reader so is monochrome and letter size. Mobilesheets pro has a specific option tailored to the Boox max3 and its monochrome display with all the mobilesheets features. Because the ereader display is passive, the battery life is impressive. I get over a week battery life on mine just leaving it in standby, not even fully powering down. I got it because I have astigmatism that's not fully corrected so i need all the contrast i can get, and I wanted full lettersize. Incidentally, Mobilsheets has a feature in their app that lets you use 2 of these side by side if you want 2 pages up for viewing, and when you turn the page it flips 2 pages the same way a print book would show. It also has a feature that when using one tablet, it will turn just a half page at a time so you have the old page half on the bottom, and th new page top half.

I also use the Boox for kindle book reading, for which it's terrific. It is a bit pricey however, about 800 bucks, but there are not many games in town for large tablets of letter aspect ratio.

Don't shoot the piano player -- he's doing the best he can...
lbuizza #2978691 05/13/20 01:19 PM
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
I have an iPad pro (the big one), an Apple pencil, and ForScore. It’s awesome and I highly recommend it.

I have about 2000 pieces scanned. Using the ‘set’ feature helps me keep the items I play in rotation. It tracks the time I spend on pieces, and presents the items so they all get attention. I won’t go back to paper, this was worth every penny.

Very easy to find what I want, easy on the eyes, especially where paper is yellowed, or printed small (can easily enlarge). The pencil is great for markup. Took a while to scan, and I have more that I’ll scan one of these days but I highly recommend this arrangement.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
Slowroll #2978714 05/13/20 03:08 PM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Slowroll
There is another option. The Onyx Boox Max 3 is an Android tablet that is just about exactly letter size and aspect ratio. It's designed as an e-reader so is monochrome and letter size. Mobilesheets pro has a specific option tailored to the Boox max3 and its monochrome display with all the mobilesheets features. Because the ereader display is passive, the battery life is impressive. I get over a week battery life on mine just leaving it in standby, not even fully powering down. I got it because I have astigmatism that's not fully corrected so i need all the contrast i can get, and I wanted full lettersize. Incidentally, Mobilsheets has a feature in their app that lets you use 2 of these side by side if you want 2 pages up for viewing, and when you turn the page it flips 2 pages the same way a print book would show. It also has a feature that when using one tablet, it will turn just a half page at a time so you have the old page half on the bottom, and th new page top half.

I am really interested in the Onyx book 3. Can you do me a favor and take a picture of the Onyx displaying sheet music next to the same paper sheet.

How is the page turning, is it instant?

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
MH1963 #2978778 05/13/20 06:34 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MH1963
I have an iPad pro (the big one), an Apple pencil, and ForScore. It’s awesome and I highly recommend it.

[...]

With 2000 pieces scanned, what is the storage capacity of the one you have? How much storage is left?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
lbuizza #2978785 05/13/20 07:05 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And to add to Bruce's question, how big is the file size of your scores?

I often find that when I scan something myself, it's a lot bigger in terms of file-size than a pdf score I purchase, for example.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Learux #2978895 05/14/20 06:01 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Learux
Originally Posted by Slowroll

I am really interested in the Onyx book 3. Can you do me a favor and take a picture of the Onyx displaying sheet music next to the same paper sheet.

How is the page turning, is it instant?

I spotted those and they seemed a great option. Personally I dislike ipads and tablets but I do love my ereader (kobo) where the e-ink display is much nicer device for reading and of course it is a much thinner and lighter device with enormously longer battery life. Page turning is not quite instant though.

The Onyx seems ideal but it is expensive , and I prefer old fashioned paper for scores, so I won't be getting one just yet.

lbuizza #2978937 05/14/20 08:44 AM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I feel the same. If it was slightly larger and $300 cheaper it would be a no brainer.

Casio GP-400
August Forster 215
ShiroKuro #2979096 05/14/20 03:55 PM
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
And to add to Bruce's question, how big is the file size of your scores?

I often find that when I scan something myself, it's a lot bigger in terms of file-size than a pdf score I purchase, for example.

Check your scanner settings and make sure you are scanning in B&W pdf (not color or png image) at 300 dpi.

Learux #2979117 05/14/20 05:05 PM
S
S
Here's pic of the Boox and a print score. Notice that one can make the Boox score a bit larger by using the crop function in Mobilesheets. The page turn is instant, although that's not a concern using Mobilesheets; they have a half page turn function which turns the pages top half and bottom half on selection. That alone is one of my reasons for liking it over print.

[Linked Image]

Don't shoot the piano player -- he's doing the best he can...
lbuizza #2979134 05/14/20 06:16 PM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you very much!

It looks like the usable screen area is the same size as the paper.

Last edited by Learux; 05/14/20 06:17 PM.

Casio GP-400
August Forster 215
lbuizza #2979152 05/14/20 07:11 PM
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Storage....

My ipad has 256G, of which 90G is in use. That includes all my apps and whatever Netflix goodies I’ve downloaded. I don’t keep much other stuff on it. I printed a catalog of the titles for my teacher and it’s 34 pages, single spaced. I could easily fit the rest of my music, with room to spare, but most of what isn’t scanned is beyond my reach at the moment, so I’ll deal with it later.

I have ~50 books, and maybe ~20-ish singles. Most books were cut apart to facilitate scanning. Each book (except for the ones that are 300+ pages, like hymnals) is scanned as a single file, and then bookmarks are added in ForScore for each piece. The big books are scanned as two or three files, then bookmarked. This is probably more efficient than using multiple files and might account for it seeming to not use much space.

Storage Example: Burgmuller Opus 100, 25 progressive pieces, is 31.9 Mb. When scanning a book, I include the cover, table of contents, and notes, so that amount includes probably six pages of extra stuff. It’s a ‘color’ scan for improved quality.

I have a Brother HL-L2380 printer/scanner, and I use the Brother app for the scanning. I have found that it’s IMPORTANT for me to scan using the color setting, even though the music isn’t color. The reason for this is that it greatly improves the quality of the scan, and makes some of the older music easier to read. Older music which is not digital typeset is a lot easier to read with a ‘color’ scan. Scans using this setting would be larger files, since it’s a much better scan, but it’s not a problem.

Also, since music isn’t on 8.5x11, I scan using the A4 paper size, which ensures that the full page is scanned. If set for 8.5x11, sometimes the bottom is partly cut off.

Music is the reason I bought the large iPad and it was a terrific investment. Just the fact that I don’t have to dig through things to find a particular piece is wonderful and a huge time saver.

Last edited by MH1963; 05/14/20 07:21 PM. Reason: add info

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hailun 218 vs Feurich 218
by Sonepica - 11/30/20 03:03 AM
The Search Continues--thoughts on Round Three?
by jmiley97302 - 11/29/20 11:15 PM
Why no enough like for Casio GP?
by Harpuia - 11/29/20 11:12 PM
My Yamaha P-515 Review / Impressions
by Chummy - 11/29/20 09:48 PM
New member! My apologies!
by ul7 - 11/29/20 07:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,154
Posts3,028,741
Members99,423
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission