2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Ipads cost way more than large monitors and they're much smaller.

This is indeed true. But OTPH a monitor is not a stand-alone device, can't be used when traveling, doesn't fit on the music desk for most uprights, needs to be plugged in..... I'll stop there! whome

Seriously, for anyone who can make a monitor work with their set up, I would imagine that is a great option. For me, I want to be able to take my scores with me, and I also don't want to have a computer workstation in my piano room. So the iPad works perfectly for my sheet music needs, and I use it for a bunch of other stuff as well. It's certainly not for everyone, and I imagine there are less expensive tablets that would function similarly, so I don't want to say there's only one option. But the iPad is the only one I have firsthand experience with, so of course that's what I am posting about.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
First regarding the availability of sheet music... if you mean what scores are available for purchase in digital format, I think it varies considerably. If you want a specific arrangement or a specific layout etc., you may not find something pre-made as a digital score.

I just want to make a comment on that, because I discovered something remarkable yesterday.

I have an iPad Pro, and for an obscure reason I was trying the make a pdf of the third movement of the Pathetique Sonata with the fingering in the Henle edition which I have on paper. So I put the put the music flat on my desk and used the camera app in the iPad pro to take a photo of each of the pages - a total of 7 pages. I already have a copy of FTP-Manager pro, so it was very simple to copy those 7 images to a directory on my desktop PC.

On my PC I have a copy of a Picture Editing program called GIMP. (https://www.gimp.org/downloads/). I took each of the images and started by loading the first as an image. I then loaded the other 6 as layers, one on top of the other over the original image. I then scaled the image to that it was A4 size at 72 bits per inch. and I then selected export to PDF. There is an option is this function to make one page for each layer, starting at the bottom layer and working up. Using that I was able to export a pdf that looked just like a book starting at the first image and carrying on to the last. Being made out of images from the iPad pro, which are very big. I expected the pdf to be enormous. In fact it was only 5.5MB and would transfer nicely back to my iPad.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lbuizza
The time may have come for me to switch to an iPad for my music - I like having books for the big pieces I am playing (by that I mean proper editions e.g. Henle etc.), but I am happy to use IMSLP for smaller pieces at the moment.

I just wanted to gauge PW's opinion on using an iPad (or any other tablet - I have seen some specifically designed for musicians, any opinions welcome) for my sheet music. How much music is available? Is it easy to make notes on it etc.? And finally do we think it will affect my eyes negatively in the long run?

In short do we think that the convenience of using an iPad is worth it?

I use an iPad Pro, 12.9", which displays piano music slightly smaller than a 9" x 12" score. I also use a bluetooth page turner (a pedal pad that let's you go forward or backward in the score). I use forScore to display the music on the iPad. forScore has lots of bells and whistles, too many to enumerate, but the program makes storing and using .pdf files pretty easy. I love the whole set-up.

There's lots of free sheet music for download from IMSLP, though the editions are often less than wonderful. If you have Henle (or any other) scores you want on your iPad, and you have a scanner, you can scan them into .pdf files, then import them into forScore. This technique is especially nice if you have scores with lots of your own annotations that you want to have available. Also, if you buy an Apple pencil, you can annotate right on the screen and it gets saved with the score. I'm not the most adept at using the Apple pencil, but after some time it is getting easier to use.

August Förster 215
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
akc42, hmm, I'm not sure if you did something more elaborate than I'm understanding, but I use forScore all the time to make pdf files of multi-page scores, it combines them into a single file rather than treating each page as a separate items. How are the layers different?

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 05/10/20 06:17 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
It would be very difficult to go past a 12.9” iPad Pro, and you don’t have to spend heaps on the latest offering. I found the 9” iPad too small for ‘mature’ eyes, and swapped it for the Pro and Apple Pencil as soon as it was released several years ago. I love the crystal clear resolution, and of course the screen is always backlit so lighting is never a problem. A First Generation model would be worth hunting out.

One of the main advantages of the iPad is that you can use forScore, which will do everything from providing an inbuilt scanning facility to organising your PDF sheets. It allows endless (erasable) markings on your scores, supports page-turning pedals, even offers programmable ‘buttons’ to jump to repeat signs (a great facility I’ve only just discovered).

The best advice I can give is to go to forScore’s web pages and see whether this app will do everything that you want - and then buy it, and the hardware to drive it.thumb

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
A large tablet may be too small for some people, I was worried about this as well but when I tried it, there was no problem at all with a.l 12.3" screen. it feels as big it bigger to new than print outs on 8.5x11 (which is 13.9"). A 12.9" screen would be wonderful for me.

Another thing to consider: there is a lot of white space in the margins of most scores that you probably don't need. Mobile Sheets Pro skies you to custom crop every page and remove as much of the margins as you want, this lets you get the page sizing even larger.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
CamScan will allow you to crop if you are transferring physical copies to pdf.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Also, I believe that ForScore only works with Apple devices. Certainly doesn't with laptops.

L
lbuizza Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This is all great advice - thanks to everyone! I agree that shelling out the money for an iPad Pro just to use it for music is somewhat excessive, however I do see myself using it for other purposes as well as the music. Having said this, I've never owned an iPad/tablet and have never really felt the need to get one (my only argument until now has been that I quite like technology and it is a cool piece of kit to have). Anyone here use it for work too and like it more/less than a laptop?

Perhaps buying a 1st gen one would be the way to go for me - they're about half the price of the new ones and offer pretty much exactly the same specs (minus a few milliseconds of speed which I'm willing to sacrifice).

In terms of playing I play at least 2 hours per day, and I have built up quite a collection of scores of pieces that I use as 'quick studies' i.e. that I look at for a few days to get me in the habit of keeping up a high turnover of music - these are all in loose sheets and I end up losing them/losing my notes. From the eye point of view I do spend quite a bit of time looking at screens as it is, however my piano room is sometimes poorly lit and tired eyes sometimes struggle with no backlight (tradeoff here between seeing more clearly when I practice in the evening vs not having the screen being the last thing I stare at for two hours before bed).

O
O
^^

Having a 10.5” iPad myself, I’d say that it’s a bit small for sheet music but having a backlit screen really does improve my ability to read things (books are far easier for me to read, and I’m dyslexic).

If I were to purchase a tablet purely for the purpose of reading sheet music, I may look at android/windows options out there that cost less - one just has to check that there are comparable apps for sheet music.

There used to be a few 12” options out there but I’m struggling to find them at the moment. I’d be keen to see if anyone has managed this recently with a non-apple device.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
It why necessarily bother with an iPad instead of a far cheaper Android Tablet?

Or a surface pro with detachable keyboard?

Apple products should never be considered the standard for pricing.

Last edited by Bhav; 05/11/20 06:32 AM.

'Its too rare to break a hand from playing the piano ... But playing Hanon as written will break your hand'

- Self proclaimed 'piano teachers' on the internet.
A
A
If you needed a laptop as well the Hp spectre or envy 360 versions at 15.6 inch can rest on a music stand. Large and nice screen resolution compared to a tablet. I would caution if your music rest is flimsy though.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
ForScore only works on Apple devices. I haven’t heard of one as good for other tablets, but worth a look. For reading PDFs (or kindle books, etc), you can obviously go to all sorts of hardware.

J
J
The 12.9 inch iPad Pro along with the forScore app is perfect for reading music. The app has a crop function built into it which allows you to remove the excess margins from any any score, therefore making the notes even easier to read.

I started with printed sheet music when I began playing the piano a year ago. But it was hard for me to read the scores at night when there wasn’t enough light in my room. That problem was solved with the iPad.

Henle also has an app where you can purchase PDFs directly.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet it that the forScore app has a built in page turner. It requires a Pro subscription ($9.99/year) and a newer iPad that uses facial recognition technology (one that doesn’t have a home button), but it works brilliantly! I have mine set up to turn the page when I twitch my lips slightly to the right (forwards) or left (backwards). I would certainly recommend trying this option before purchasing a Bluetooth foot pedal. It’s simple, adjustable, reliable, and doesn’t require a separate device. My piano teacher didn’t know about this feature until she saw me using it during a lesson. It’s like magic haha.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I've never seen forScore, but on the Android/ChromeOS side, Mobile Sheets Pro does everything. You can import sheets, including PDFs and images, crop/adjust exposure and color levels and annotate them (stylus or finger support), back them up to device or cloud, sync your music library to multiple devices for multi page turning or orchestra turning, support ANY BT device and any key binding for page turning, (plus support dozens of remote actions other than just page turning), support half-turns, setlists, sync videos and mp3s to sheets, etc. It's amazingly full featured and doesn't require a continuing subscription to use. I think it's probably the Android/Chrome/Windows equivalent of forScore.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I've never seen forScore, but on the Android/ChromeOS side, Mobile Sheets Pro does everything. You can import sheets, including PDFs and images, crop/adjust exposure and color levels and annotate them (stylus or finger support), back them up to device or cloud, sync your music library to multiple devices for multi page turning or orchestra turning, support ANY BT device and any key binding for page turning, (plus support dozens of remote actions other than just page turning), support half-turns, setlists, sync videos and mp3s to sheets, etc. It's amazingly full featured and doesn't require a continuing subscription to use. I think it's probably the Android/Chrome/Windows equivalent of forScore.

What surprised me the most is that the tablet/convertible sheer reader market is surprisingly mature and full-featured, for whatever platform you are on.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JJHLH
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet it that the forScore app has a built in page turner. It requires a Pro subscription ($9.99/year) and a newer iPad that uses facial recognition technology (one that doesn’t have a home button), but it works brilliantly! I have mine set up to turn the page when I twitch my lips slightly to the right (forwards) or left (backwards). I would certainly recommend trying this option before purchasing a Bluetooth foot pedal. It’s simple, adjustable, reliable, and doesn’t require a separate device. My piano teacher didn’t know about this feature until she saw me using it during a lesson. It’s like magic haha.

shocked

I have never heard of this feature!!! Wow! That's cray cray!!!! grin

So is there a learning curve to making faces while playing??? I mean, it took me a while to get used to turning the page with my left foot, so... whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
shocked

I have never heard of this feature!!! Wow! That's cray cray!!!! grin

So is there a learning curve to making faces while playing??? I mean, it took me a while to get used to turning the page with my left foot, so... whome

It really is cray cray haha!

The learning curve is pretty easy. Just move your lips to one side and the page turns. The sensitivity is adjustable using a slider. You can also set it to turn if you move your head to the side, but that can easily trigger by mistake so the lips work better in my opinion.

I really can’t recommend this feature highly enough. It’s an example of harnessing the power of modern technology and putting it to good use to solve a problem.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Can you do something similar with the buttons (or whatever they're called). I have a lot of scores where I've programmed those buttons to take me to a coda or whatever.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JJHLH
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet it that the forScore app has a built in page turner. It requires a Pro subscription ($9.99/year) and a newer iPad that uses facial recognition technology (one that doesn’t have a home button), but it works brilliantly! I have mine set up to turn the page when I twitch my lips slightly to the right (forwards) or left (backwards).

I‘ve been using a Bluetooth pedal with forScore, but when I read this I promptly bought a Pro subscription. Fascinating! For the moment I can only manage a turn with a sort of lecherous twisted grin: I’d like something a little more discreet. But it works!

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission